Rants & Raves

OUR IMMIGRATION laws are not broken. They are not being enforced. More lies coming from our politicians in order to legalize millions of illegal aliens.

WHILE TEA PARTY members continue to think shutting down the government didn’t hurt anything, it will be a shame if the Republican caucus is let off the hook for its accountability in governing responsibly.

IF YOU HAVE rental property, here’s a tip. Get at least three references and call them right in front of your potential renters. You might be surprised how many phone calls this will save you later.

PRESIDENT OBAMA says that immigration reform will grow the economy and reduce the deficit. How? He’s trying to sell immigration reform anyway he can. Truth does not come into it!

RANT FOR Russell and his latest package of raises for county employees with a budget deficit of $8.5 million dollars! This is crazy!

IS AUGUSTA INSANE? Thinking of spending $1 million each on five roundabouts? These roads are in dire need of having the white center lines repainted. The lines are barely visible in daylight and a safety hazard under dark and rainy conditions.

EVERYBODY knows that George Bush was responsible for the recent shutdown and “Obamacare” debacle. Sorry, George, we had to pin it on someone since nobody else is taking full responsibility.

THE WEEKLY crime report with a map showing activities is great. However, it seems like every week the count shows 13 robberies and 11 emergency responses. Is there a problem with counting?

DEMOCRATIC congressmen are now requesting a delay in the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. I wonder if President Obama will accuse them of trying to hold America hostage and being terrorists?

ELORA HAMPTON has written and published two books now in the bookstore in the mall. Elora lives in Harlem, Ga., where they are very proud of her wisdom to do God’s inspired work.

RAVE TO Augusta Mall and the new Michael Kors store. Too many folks take for granted the great mall we have in our community.

NEXT TIME you’re in the hospital, give me a call and we’ll talk about how much that nurse is worth.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/04/13 - 11:46 am
I'm with Seenit!

Seems like the same comments/opinions come from we same commenters over and over again. We won't ever agree so as the saying goes 'we will have to agree to disagree!'

Seenit made me smile while reading this forum today so maybe we should all try to do some of the same. I wasn't on board but I have heard that the AC used to have some kind of open forum for comments. I guess Sean can't get it back up because his boss told him not to. Sean is a great guy and I know he would if he could!

And poor 'ole' countyman must hold a record for the most 'thumbs down.' Wonder what that means? :)

harley_52
harley_52 11/04/13 - 12:03 pm
Riverman...

No, I didn't miss it.

I believe it to be an irrelevant comment, attempting only to cloud the issue and obfuscate the insult to ARC.

One last time....there is no rational, reasonable comparison of either ARC, or the CBD thereof, to Detroit Michigan and their state of demise.

You have clearly stated your belief there IS such a valid comparison.

You seem to want to continue rubbing salt in the wound.

I'm not at all sure why.

Give it a rest.

countyman
countyman 11/04/13 - 12:29 pm
Every city in the US

Every city in the US including Detroit has multiple nice suburbs... The 2010 median income of Richmond County is also higher than Wayne County. The 2007-2011 average median income of Wayne County is $42k and Richmond County is basically $40k..

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 12:19 pm
Thanks sweetson

I like to make you smile...:)

Harley ..I like & respect you, really I do.....but we have a boss here..his name is Sean Moores...he doesn't have any trouble slapping our hands......I don't want this place to get so pc that we can't post our thoughts on here....we won't agree about Augusta & the problems there...ever.....my personal opinion is that NOTHING will change becasue of the political leaders in downtown....same o--same o there too.....I think Roundtree is doing a good job & I have said that on here....but the money problems & the spending is out of sight imo....

We have problems here too & some are in jail.....it is what it is..

KSL
KSL 11/04/13 - 12:30 pm
harley_52
harley_52 11/04/13 - 12:32 pm
Seenitb4...

You have the right to post your thoughts, it's true. And there's no doubt Sean is the boss.

I'm not talking about political correctness. I hate political correctness.

Riverman (and a couple of others) who also don't live in Augusta have chosen to make daily attacks on the place I (and many others) call home. We pay taxes here, he doesn't. We vote here, he doesn't. We raise our families here, he doesn't. Some of us attempt to run business here, he doesn't.

I know you disagree with me. I know some of you loathe Augusta and aren't bothered that your petulant attacks on Augusta aren't appreciated, but remember this.....I (and others) have an equal right to object to such attacks.

One thing we can agree to do is attempt to avoid the aggravation of purposely poking each other in the eye, even politely. That's what I try to do. I'd prefer NOT to discuss these attacks on Augusta. But they keep coming, day after day, after day.

I don't understand it, but I assure you that I can be just as polite as the next guy and I can object to the attacks just as long as they continue.

Thanks for your kind consideration.

countyman
countyman 11/04/13 - 12:44 pm
Facts

Many of the people who consistently bash Augusta aren't focusing on fixing any of the problems.. The only problem is every single day they love to portray Columbia County is so much better than Richmond County. How can people believe them if the national developers are coming to Richmond County?

They continue to make a huge deal simply because the median income of Columbia County is higher overall. What small to large city doesn't have one suburban county with a higher overall median income? The developers are still going to compare North Richmond versus Evans for example, and not concentrate on the entire county..

The constant positive news of the national retailers coming to Richmond County must really agitate them..

The same people that continue to bring up Augusta in comparison with Detroit.. Many of their older comments revolved around the city of Athens being the much better place to live. The same people constantly posted on the AC how they should move the medical school to Athens, because the city is doing so good compared to Augusta.

The median income of Clarke County(Athens) is only $34,000... Why don't they have the same opinion of Athens?

harley_52
harley_52 11/04/13 - 12:44 pm
Seenitb4....I Should Have Added...

...and let's not mix apples and oranges here.

Calling Augusta "Detroit like" is a purposeful slap in the face. It is FAR, FAR different than disagreeing with some policy the Sheriff comes up with, or some of the spending problems. It is puzzling, however, that some of you get yourself so worked up about spending issues in a city that isn't spending YOUR MONEY.

I don't see any ARC resident posters whining about how Columbia County, or Gwinett County spend their money, let alone characterizing them as "Detroit like."

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 12:50 pm
The critics you say

What some fail to realize is that the biggest critics on here LIVE IN RICHMOND county...I won't say the names because you know them...they pay taxes & deal with the problems.....I'm not going to blast them for speaking their mind....we won't always make others happy with our comments.......but I will give them the right to make them....
I wish I had a dollar for every crude comment I've heard about this county.....not always on here but in public venues.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 12:54 pm
I'm not worked up

It takes a bit more for me to get worked up harley...:)

Ease up some & maybe the others will too......anyhoo...I have a list of work waiting for me......I'm spinning my time on here....seeyall.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 12:55 pm
Federal dollars

Our federal $$ are spent all over the USA harley....

harley_52
harley_52 11/04/13 - 12:58 pm
I Have Zero Problems...

...with the critics who live in Richmond County. I understand their complaints and, in fact, agree with most of them.

What bothers me is those who DON'T live here. And I'm not even bothered by constructive criticism of policy issues, or even comments about some of the elected officials.

What bothers me is the constant, nagging, belittling, intentionally destructive comments made by people who don't live here, don't vote here, and don't pay taxes in Richmond County.

This "Detroit like" comparison made just yesterday is just the latest in a long string of comments belittling the place I have chosen to make my home, like thousands of others.

countyman
countyman 11/04/13 - 01:17 pm
Facts

The only critics from Richmond County are usually Dichotomy or Little Lamb... Their comments are mostly related to the local government and not similar to the people who purposely bash Augusta.

The rude comments that somebody heard in public about Richmond County don't necessarily make them true. The majority of negative stories in the news are overwhelmingly related to Richmond County, but not the same amount of positive news. Why is Richmond County the only county with a crime map? Why is the coverage of the local high schools sports more focused on the games outside of Richmond County many times? When does the local media show the weekly Saturday Market or Candlelight Jazz on the Riverwalk? I'm positive the next crime at the Riverwalk will probably be the leading story at 5pm, 6pm, and 11pm. Compare the recent coverage of the new H&M or Michael Kors on the local news versus if some young teenage girls were fighting. Keep in mind Michael Kors and H&M aren't even located in much larger than cities.

The local media for example only focused on the growth of Columbia County when Bass Pro first announced their new store. The reporting on the Cabela's and movie theater didn't even bring up the growth of Richmond County, but only mentioned the entire metro. The local media will eventually have to come around, because the growth continues to pour in.

How can ANYBODY spin Richmond County attracting DSW, Michael Kors, Whole Foods, movie theater, HomeGoods, Texas Roadhouse, Genghis Grill, Cabela's, H&M, etc in 10 months?

The FACTS must suggest many people are happy living in Richmond County..

harley_52
harley_52 11/04/13 - 01:23 pm
"Our federal $$ are spent all over the USA harley...."

True. That's a fact.

It's also a fact that we all breathe the same air. Get our rainfall from the same sky. We also share the sun.

That has nothing to do with the rationale for attacks on someone else's chosen city of residence, by people who choose to reside somewhere else.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/04/13 - 01:44 pm
Harley

If I have ever commented something about ARC that offended you, I want to apologize. I say very little about ARC because I have very little insight or personal dealing with it's leaders. I know you and consider you a good friend.
I moved out of RC in 1974 where I was living on Boykin Rd due to the fact I saw what environment I was raising my young boys in. I feel I made a good choice in doing so. With that said, I know many close friends who live in RC and they are happy with their lives.

I agree with countyman when he says "The majority of negative stories in the news are overwhelmingly related to Richmond County" and that is probably the only news I am aware of. Yes CC has got some sorry points that is not very well covered or published. I have in the past recommended countyman to start covering some of the negatives of CC.
I can say one thing, I feel I live in a happy world "Within" my Cobalt Park and truly wish many had the same feeling I do.

harley_52
harley_52 11/04/13 - 01:54 pm
"If I have ever commented something about ARC....

....that offended you, I want to apologize."

Thanks, CG. To be honest, I can't remember you saying anything PURPOSEFULLY antagonizing, or demeaning. I don't believe you have. I do recall you making some comments about ARC, but nothing that I ever took as a deliberate poke in the eye. I don't think that's your style.

You demonstrate the kind of man you are by offering to apologize even on the off chance you MIGHT HAVE BEEN insulting, or demeaning. It's admirable and I appreciate it.

KSL
KSL 11/04/13 - 01:57 pm
countyman

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/04/13 - 01:58 pm
One Of My Post 2010, I Still Feel The Same

We never would have deemed this possible

Outcome of health-care bill will show whether America is in the grip of the people or of opportunistic lawmakers

Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff

Friday, March 19, 2010

Comments (399)

"RIP AMERICA"

If you are living this very moment regardless of your age, your are witnessing a Historical moment in your life. A moment that is by all means the worst since the beautiful founding of this once United States of America. It will go down in history as the day a socialist human who was placed into power with one agenda in his mind and that was to transform a beautiful country of freedom into becoming a slave nation of his government throne. No longer known as a president but a King.

Because of the short time that I have left to walk on this planet Earth, I will not be completely effected. My tears are for my sons, Grands, and Great Grands who will never have the opportunity to experience or know the freedom I have fought for and lived in the past 70 years. It was always a life of Hope, Dreams and accomplishments . These Hopes and Dreams will be no longer available to them.

Never for one minute did I ever believe that with all the past history of this country, documented FACTS and the deaths of past wars, so many so called Americans would allow it to get to this point.

As for all the dead Americans soldiers that RIP in cemeteries throughout the world, remaining veterans and all the military men and woman that have and are now laying their life's on the line to preserve the Liberty and Freedom for the future generations of this once loved America - It now has been all in vain.

The only miracle that can save us now is "The Good Lord Himself"

I will make a prediction that I will take any bet on is: " In less than 10 years there will be no VA Hospitals"

I pray for all you uninformed, uneducated and lack of patriotic humans the best of luck with your new controlled living conditions. If you believe in God, may he be with you

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/04/13 - 02:59 pm
KSL

You do know, no matter the number you pick, you will always get the same answer: Obama's Farewell Speech 2012

countyman
countyman 11/04/13 - 04:10 pm
Facts

''The locating in Richmond County per se of those businesses you mentioned would not have anything to do with Richmod Co. being somewhat in the center of the so called metro, would it?''

The comment is true only to an certain extent, because the demographics of the area in Richmond County still must bring something to the table. The Village at Riverwatch wants to attract thousands of people from outside of the CSRA similar to the Augusta mall. The Augusta Exchange is geared more towards the local shopper, and the new Cabela's at Riverwatch is much different from the Genghis Grill in the Exchange. The new Genghis Grill required a 35k daytime population, Avg HH income of at least $65k, and 75k residential population within three miles. The only neighborhood within the immediate area of the Augusta Exchange located in Columbia County that jumps out is clearly Spring Lakes in Martinez. A solid middle to upper middle class neighborhood, but definitely not on the level of Conifer Place or Highgate on Skinner Mill rd/Wheeler rd in West Augusta. The CEO of Electrolux lived in Confier Place when the company had their north american headquarters located on Bobby Jones.. Many middle class to upper middle class neighborhoods are located(Eagle Point, Waverly, Lake Aumond) on/off Wheeler rd/Skinner Mill rd very close to the Augusta Exchange.

The corporate at both the Academy Sports and Khol's decided to open in Columbia County. The actual city of Grovetown is pretty small, but the address includes the Gateway near I-20. I'm positive the area would have more amenities if Evans were to switch places with Grovetown.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 04:21 pm
BAAD CGEE

Cgee just sent me a photo of a blonde pole dancer...I'm soo offended...because it is so cute. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 04:25 pm
This is alarming....

There are some troubling results in this survey released today of 23,000 high school students, including an acceptance of violent behavior by many students.

corgimom
corgimom 11/04/13 - 04:28 pm
"Thousands of additional

"Thousands of additional people will begin to visit Augusta more frequently, because of the city turning into the one of the best small cities for shopping in the south."

Sure.

What will happen is that those new stores will cannibalize existing stores, people don't get more money to spend just because new stores are opening. Personally, I don't care, I do 98% of my shopping online these days, new stores opening anywhere mean nothing to me.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 04:33 pm
corgimom
corgimom 11/04/13 - 04:34 pm
"The 2007-2011 average median

"The 2007-2011 average median income of Wayne County is $42k and Richmond County is basically $40k.."

Yes, that would mean that the median income of Wayne County IS HIGHER than A-RC. And by the way, there is no such thing as an "average median income". Average income and median income are two separate and distinct things.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/04/13 - 04:41 pm
Nope

You know I almost feel like doing as CGEE did and simply apologize to Harley because I sincerely respect him, have an Army background as he does, and understand the frustrations concerning Richmond County which I really think is behind many comments. I don't mean to hurt the feelings of Richmond Cty folks.

My business was registered in Richmond County for many years until I moved the registration to Columbia County about a year ago. I have given money to political candidates running for office in Richmond County recently. Those candidates know me. Thus I do have an interest in Richmond Cty. I think my comments regarding Richmond Cty are particularly hard hitting because that's my style on about every subject.

After thinking this over, it would be dishonest if I went quiet on the problems Richmond Cty has. So don't expect me to stop with hard hitting comments if they are truthful. If you want to debate something I say, I'll listen and possibly even backtrack, but I'm not going to avoid confrontations. It's actually more civil to keep debates on subject, but I understand emotions sometimes get the best of us and we go after the commenters. I try not to do that.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 04:40 pm
I don't know river

You kick me when I fall sometimes...& seem to enjoy it...hahaha

anyway...I say..we have an ignore button to use too....I also contribute to Richmond county politicians ...& will continue..

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/04/13 - 04:49 pm
Harley, please consider too

Harley, please consider too that many believe as I do that a healthy Augusta is essential to a health CSRA, which is why I beef about the politics. What happens there DOES affect me whether I pay taxes there or not.

I haven't been to a ColCo commission meeting, but I have seen recordings of some from ARC. You don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the thought processes exhibited there. I have been to Coliseum Authority meetings too, and the same applies.

KSL
KSL 11/04/13 - 04:49 pm
Lily

Indeed I do.

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.