Rants & Raves

A HUGE RAVE to Peter Vagovic – HVAC man extraodinaire – who dropped everything, rushed over to check my malfunctioning heating system and quickly diagnosed and resolved the problem: a dangerous crack in a failing heat exchanger. Without Vagovic’s prompt and professional attention, lethal carbon monoxide could have entered my home. Great to know quality service and caring are nearby!

HOW CAN businesswoman Bonnie Ruben possibly justify letting the old Penney’s building get in such a bad shape?

SINCE THE Republicans caused the shutdown, they need to work for no pay for the 17 days.

THE SHUTDOWN has miraculously ended; therefore the economy is recovered and fully prosperous again! Don’t believe me? Look at GAS prices; they have gone up. Can I get an AMEN?!?!

PROBLEMS WITH the Affordable Care Act Web site? Blame the Republicans, Fox News and other irresponsible media who “show” people and get on the Web site, clogging it up with their shows. People have several months to sign up. anyway.

I CAN’T BELIEVE that ridiculous woman who said the new owner of her apartment complex should provide a computer room to keep her kids out of trouble! SHE is the parent; she’s the one responsible for her kids. Where do people get the idea that landlords need to provide expensive equipment for your kids? You should be pleased your new landlord is replacing the playground equipment! You should be thankful this new landlord will be fixing your apartments, roofs, common hallways, etc. You need to teach yourself and your kids the power and fun of free stuff like library books, nice games and puzzles from the dollar stores, Goodwill stores, etc. Geez!!!

THANK YOU for the kind person driving the white Lexus in the Bojangles drive-through who paid for my breakfast this morning!

Random acts of kindness!

Comments (66)

fishman960
fishman960 11/02/13 - 07:06 pm

Rant #3

Yes you are so right about the Republicans causing the shutdown.
That oh so nice President Obama was so willing to meet with them and listen to what they were asking and they wouldn't even allow him to do just that.
Those meanie Republicans....

harley_52
19546
harley_52 11/02/13 - 08:27 pm

Only One Man....

..has the power to "shut down" the U.S. Government.

The President.

The government was "shut down" because the President refused to accept legislation offered by Congress. He refused to sign it (actually several iterations of "it") and he flatly stated he "would NOT negotiate.

The President is the king, not the President. He decrees what will be and refuses to work with Congress.

Republicans did not (and could not) "shut down" the government no matter what people tell you.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 11/02/13 - 08:44 pm

The media going to

The media going to healthcare.gov is the problem? Yeah. That must be it. There's definitely nothing wrong with the actual website itself. Just all that media traffic weighing it down. Sorry about that.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/13 - 10:44 pm

Country Music

Here is the link to the story about Rick Bragg’s speech to the incoming Grooo freshman class:

Rick Bragg

I thought SeenItB4 might like this quote from Bragg’s column in the January, 2013 number of Southern Living:

“The past we spoke of had music that did not make you want to murder the radio. It poured sweetly, static and all, from big console sets and Art Deco Bakelites, flew in as if on a magic carpet from the orchestras in the Blue Room in New Orleans. Hank Williams played the VFW then, and rode a big Cadillac a thousand miles to an American Legion to do it again. I would have liked to have seen that. Now, country music sounds like pop music in a bad cowboy hat from Stuckey’s. The radio seems mostly to consist of men hollering about how people do not belong. When I was a boy, we listened to Swap Shop, hoping someone was unloading a hubcap for a ’66 Corvair, and heard Merle Haggard sing, “That’s the Way Love Goes.”

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/13 - 10:48 pm

Rant #2

The old Penny's building is not in as bad a shape as the ranter would have us believe. And as for the reason — well, if Ms. Reuben lets the building deteriorate, she gets to pay less property tax. It's called managing your losses.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/02/13 - 11:25 pm

Unclog Your Brain #3

This Is Who Shut Down The Government!

Even when it comes to something as basic, and apparently as simple and straightforward, as the question of who shut down the federal government, there are diametrically opposite answers, depending on whether you talk to Democrats or to Republicans.
There is really nothing complicated about the facts. The Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted all the money required to keep all government activities going -- except for ObamaCare.
This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.
As for the House of Representatives' right to grant or withhold money, that is not a matter of opinion either. You can check the Constitution of the United States. All spending bills must originate in the House of Representatives, which means that Congressmen there have a right to decide whether or not they want to spend money on a particular government activity.
Whether ObamaCare is good, bad or indifferent is a matter of opinion. But it is a matter of fact that members of the House of Representatives have a right to make spending decisions based on their opinion.
ObamaCare is indeed "the law of the land," as its supporters keep saying, and the Supreme Court has upheld its Constitutionality.
But the whole point of having a division of powers within the federal government is that each branch can decide independently what it wants to do or not do, regardless of what the other branches do, when exercising the powers specifically granted to that branch by the Constitution.
The hundreds of thousands of government workers who have been laid off are not idle because the House of Representatives did not vote enough money to pay their salaries or the other expenses of their agencies -- unless they are in an agency that would administer ObamaCare.
Since we cannot read minds, we cannot say who -- if anybody -- "wants to shut down the government." But we do know who had the option to keep the government running and chose not to. The money voted by the House of Representatives covered everything that the government does, except for ObamaCare.
The Senate chose not to vote to authorize that money to be spent, because it did not include money for ObamaCare. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says that he wants a "clean" bill from the House of Representatives, and some in the media keep repeating the word "clean" like a mantra. But what is unclean about not giving Harry Reid everything he wants?
If Senator Reid and President Obama refuse to accept the money required to run the government, because it leaves out the money they want to run ObamaCare, that is their right. But that is also their responsibility.
You cannot blame other people for not giving you everything you want. And it is a fraud to blame them when you refuse to use the money they did vote, even when it is ample to pay for everything else in the government.
When Barack Obama keeps claiming that it is some new outrage for those who control the money to try to change government policy by granting or withholding money, that is simply a bald-faced lie. You can check the history of other examples of "legislation by appropriation" as it used to be called.
Whether legislation by appropriation is a good idea or a bad idea is a matter of opinion. But whether it is both legal and not unprecedented is a matter of fact.
Perhaps the biggest of the big lies is that the government will not be able to pay what it owes on the national debt, creating a danger of default. Tax money keeps coming into the Treasury during the shutdown, and it vastly exceeds the interest that has to be paid on the national debt.
Even if the debt ceiling is not lifted, that only means that government is not allowed to run up new debt. But that does not mean that it is unable to pay the interest on existing debt.
None of this is rocket science. But unless the Republicans get their side of the story out -- and articulation has never been their strong suit -- the lies will win. More important, the whole country will lose.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/02/13 - 11:32 pm

Geez

"woman who said the new owner of her apartment complex should provide a computer room to keep her kids out of trouble!

More than likely, She is the one wanting a computer room, because more than likely her "pop outs" were out inside getting into trouble.

american rose
american rose 11/03/13 - 01:28 am

Article in paper today on handicapped parking violators.

This is something that would be profitable to the county. Enforce the law Sheriff Roundtree, and ticket those violators. After a couple of $100 plus dollar tickets, they would get the message.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/03/13 - 07:05 am

Good Morning "Handicap Parking" America

The most violated non-arrested law that America has is the Handicap Parking Law. The biggest part of this law that is violated is the use of the handicap parking by members of a family that doesn't have the handicap member in the vehicle when they park.
I have never parked next to one while waiting for the CIC to do her shopping and not witness at lease one violation.
Un-marked police officers could make no less than 10 a day at any handicap area. Then the judge should fine the max of $500.00 per violator. 30 days, no more violators!.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/03/13 - 07:28 am

Empty is Not Pretty

There are old and empty buildings downtown, but what's the alternative? Empty lots? How would THAT look?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/03/13 - 07:31 am

RM

I think it would look a lot better "IF" the lots were maintained, Right?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/03/13 - 07:59 am

CG

CG, I'm prejudiced. I admire Bonnie Ruben and the way she has held on downtown with her hotel and business in the midst of that Detroit like environment. She is a convenient scapegoat for some because she opposes their money grabbing schemes. She was one of the only vocal opponents of the TEE Center. See how that turned out.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/03/13 - 08:03 am

JTF, Great Game

Great win for UGA. I was hoping Tenn would give us some help with MO. They still have to play A&M, though.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/03/13 - 08:06 am

RM

I sure would like to comment more on the ARC problems, but I do not have the insight or knowledge that you and others have, so I apologize for not being more supportive.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/03/13 - 08:30 am

You have my number LLamb

I love Rick Bragg.....& of course, he is right on the money about country music.....it ain't the same since we lost ole Conway & G Jones--& Hank.

Rick Bragg tells a story with feeling.....It's All Over But The Shouting is a good book....btw folks...Mr nocnoc has some good ole fashioned tales of long ago...his very own life on the dirt roads of south Augusta...very interesting nocnoc.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/03/13 - 08:47 am

cotton bales & peepee

Get nocnoc to tell yall about that story...funny & true.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 11/03/13 - 08:48 am
justthefacts
justthefacts 11/03/13 - 08:59 am

Good morning river

Outstanding game. UGA/Fl is such an event. Like nothing else in college football. Defense finally stepped up. Great win. Missouri looks really good. They will lose to A&M probably, but that won't be enough. Ole Miss will have to beat them as well. Of course UGA has to beat Auburn@ Auburn. That will be a challenge. UGA's 5th game against a team ranked in the Top 10. Never seen that before.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 11/03/13 - 09:05 am

"Detroit like environment"

According to Riverman, Augusta is a "Detroit like environment."

As a property owner here and a taxpayer here....I resent the comparison and the continuous, near-daily attacks on my chosen hometown.

I'll let you mature, reasonable, thoughtful people decide if it's a fair comparison.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/03/13 - 09:19 am

Harley, just for the record,

Harley, just for the record, I said downtown, not all of Augusta. Specifically, not West Augusta or South Augusta or the Hill. Sorry you resent it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/03/13 - 09:22 am

Wet Cotton

SeenIt, My mother told me the same stories if Nocnoc's is what I think the story is. She said peeing on the cotton made it heavier and you were paid more. She said they would pick cotton all day for about 50 cents when it was weighed.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 11/03/13 - 09:23 am

"Harley, just for the record, I said downtown...

....not all of Augusta."

My comment stands.

I'm sure the business owners downtown and those who patronize them appreciate your insult as well.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/03/13 - 09:24 am

"If you like your plan, you

"If you like your plan, you can keep it".....that is all anyone needs to remember. That and the fact that the Republicans told you they were lying.

Now the White House staffers are admitting that they knew that what Obama was telling you was a LIE but decided that "telling the truth would be confusing" to you poor stupid Democrat supporters. The Republicans knew it was a bald faced lie all along and told you so. The Republicans also told you that the price of your insurance would double or triple. Just wait until you see the rates NEXT year when none of those young healthy folks fall for Obama's lies. Only the very sick and poor are signing up and over 1/3 of them are signing up for Medicaid.....which will fall on unsuspecting STATE taxpayers in the future for those states that stupidly decided to expand Medicaid. And the doctors and hospitals are saying en masse that they will no longer be taking Medicaid. Obama SHOULD have been saying "you can keep your doctor IF YOU CAN FIND ONE".

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/03/13 - 09:26 am

It is amazing

That Liberals with so much claimed enlightenment and education, can have so little understanding of human nature and the real world.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/03/13 - 09:26 am

No harley...it is not the same

BUT..when I look at my ole home area I wonder WHAT HAPPENED!!

It took me 2 years to sell my home off Wheeless Rd in the 90s...just like nocnoc said......it takes a long time...things have changed harley...& the decisions made by the government in Augusta are not helping the outskirts...imho.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/03/13 - 09:29 am

Harley, I admire the way you

Harley, I admire the way you so strongly take up for your town.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 11/03/13 - 09:41 am

"BUT..when I look at my ole home area I wonder WHAT HAPPENED!!"

I understand.

The town I grew up in fifty years ago is now a totally different place. My old neighborhood (our house built in 1909) fell into disrepair for several decades, but is now coming back. Places I've lived over the years have seen the same kind of thing happen. Things change.

When I moved to Augusta about 33 years ago, neighborhoods were different than now. I remember looking at property in various Augusta neighborhoods and when I look at them now, they're not the same. On the other hand, there are now beautiful, well designed and constructed neighborhoods all around and growth is obvious.

I lived at Fort Gordon for three years, but have lived inside the city limits of Augusta for thirty years. Three different homes in the city over those years. Augusta IS NOT Detroit. The CBD of Augusta IS NOT Detroit. I could give you a million differences. If you watched the video, you saw many of them.

Here's my point........Augusta has problems. ALL cities have problems. Maybe Augusta has a few more, at least that's arguable. But there is NO honest, reasonable, rational, thoughtful comparison of Augusta (or even the CBD) to Detroit. NONE. NADA. ZIP.

To make the comparison is a deliberate poke in the eye to the citizens, property owners, and taxpayers of Augusta.

I admit I don't understand the motivation to make such an insult, but I am long past tired of seeing it day after day, after day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/03/13 - 09:43 am

Nail in the coffin

Since I lived it & watched the demise, I feel I can talk about south Augusta ....when our daddie gov decided they knew what was best for our kiddies--in school choice--in bus routes --in any decision you THOUGHT you had with school & education.....THAT is when the decline started in Richmond county....I went to the BOE meetings when they decided to bus the southside down to downtown....for ratio & numbers......what a crock of poopoo...It did not work & many left for other counties....

So now, you see a prospering Columbia county & a dwindling down of assets on the south side...just read dichotomy's posts & you can get the picture......you know the ole saying ...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink....well, apply that to parents in south Augusta.
THe gov can mess up a 2 car parade & we see that everyday.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 11/03/13 - 09:43 am
harley_52
19546
harley_52 11/03/13 - 09:49 am

"So now, you see a prospering Columbia county....

....& a dwindling down of assets on the south side...just read dichotomy's posts & you can get the picture."

I do read his posts. Every one of them. And I totally understand his point of view. I have never complained about anything he has had to say about ARC. He lives here. He pays taxes here. He believes (and so do I) that South Augusta doesn't get her due from the ARC government. I applaud his efforts to change, or at least highlight, the disparity. I hope he succeeds.

There is, however, a totally different dynamic at work between Dichotomy's comments and Riverman's comments. Dichotomy has some skin in the game. Riverman doesn't. Dichotomy doesn't take cheap shots ala "Detroit like," Riverman does.

Let's be fair here....that's all.