Rants & Raves

I SEE RICHMOND County was awarded a grant to help discourage impaired and aggressive drivers. Great idea and I hope tailgaters are one of the main targets. I am tired of having my life endangered by people who do not know how to drive. Drunk or sober.

IT’S TIME THAT the Augusta Commission members got educated on the dangers of second-hand smoke. They need to read the evidence of those dangers before they vote again on the banning of smoking in bars and other public places. It’s time to act in a responsible manner.

IF MANAGEMENT AT SRS had honored my request during the last layoff I would be retired now but instead I’m furloughed and wondering when the government is going to stop playing games and put us back to work. I need my paycheck.

THE USE OF THE iPad as a communicating tool for those with severe communication problems is indeed a tremendous step forward. The challenge now will be how we keep the freeloaders the “I want an iPad, too” crowd from infiltrating the program.

HERE WE GO again. Your paper this week highlighted two incidents where passengers were not wearing seat belts in deadly accidents. How many deaths do we have to witness before people get the message that wearing seat belts is not a stupid law. Wake up to the fact that “buckle up” needs to be part of your life.

SOCIAL SECURITY recipients are going to get a measly 1.5 percent raise in their benefits next year. Wow, that’s going to really mean a big difference to us who depend on it for a living. I know how they come up with the number, but in reality the cost of all food items have risen dramatically over the past year. It’s obvious that those who set the raises have not got a clue as to what it costs the ordinary senior citizen to just survive.

RANT TO THE PERSON complaining about Richmond County Sheriff’s Office having a traffic check at the bottom of Morgan Road. If you feel that going down a hill might make your speed increase, press that big pedal in the middle. It’s called the brake.

I AM SURE THAT the Richmond County Board of Elections’ new precinct plan that would mean a change of polling location for about 13,000 voters will not be popular. I can see the out-of-towners raising all sorts of reasons why the plan is unfair and will restrict the citizens from voting. Let’s move on, Augusta, and adopt the plan.

Comments (30)

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/23/13 - 06:39 pm

Teenager's are not what they use to be.

A while back the ARC commissioners had to listen to a mother rant about her "baby" that ran from deputies. She pointed out that he was just a small teenager. While the RCSO fired the deputy for excessive force to avoid a lawsuit as appeasement. We also had to listen to the made up health story and size, and age and weight.

In reading the headlines this week we have been treated locally and nationally to examples that A Teens Size & Age Does Not Matter when it comes to murder, crime and etc.

EXAMPLES:
Boston - A 14 y/o stabbed to death a female Teacher and dragged her body out of the school bathroom, down a hallway and into the woods next to the school.

Nevada - A 12 y/o student brought a pistol to school, killing a teacher and wounded other students.

Waynesboro - A 14-year-old girl is charged with murder Monday in the fatal stabbing of a Burke County relative.

These are just the 3 recent ones in the news and there are more and more each week.

Next time I hear:
"he's just a teen,
"He's just a baby",
"not my baby",
or "he only weighted 80 pounds".

I hope to be around to point out the growing number of examples here on the AC comments that being a teen does not matter.

Teens are not what they use to be.

Some blame TV, some blame Video Games, some blame broken
homes, some blame drugs, and some, like myself point to the decay of societal morals, which encompasses all of the above.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/13 - 09:40 pm

Outstanding Comment nocnoc.

and who do you think is the real cause of "decay of societal morals?' One defining word comes to mind. (Avatar)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/13 - 10:06 pm

I Have Covered Garbage, Obesity And Little Education.

Now Okinawa Welfare....

of a population of 1,400,000, only 33,350 receive government living support. 40% are those over 65 (WHO don't have any family members) responsible for their care. As I stated before that most homes are 2 story homes. One level is primary built for the living and support of their parents. The other 60% - that have no retirement income or living children are placed in a nursing home paid for by the government. I personally visited one of the nursing homes, and believe me, there is no comparison to what is called a nursing home in America. The personal care that they receive is beyond words of love and affection. Why oh Why can't we treat our love one with the same love and respect. Visit Golden Living across from Drs. Hospital and you will realize what I am trying to say. The Living Dead!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/13 - 10:17 pm

@1

In 12 days, I experience an area of heavy continuous traffic. Never once did I see a tail gating vehicle in speeds over 40 Km. There was always 4 to 6 car length between vehicles. One other observation was that the turn signal was just as much part of driving as was the steering wheel. If you didn't use the turn signal, I would bet a million dollars that you would have an accident within 1 American Mile!

Accidents are so rare that I believe there is only one auto body shop on the entire island. No such thing as "Road Rage."

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/13 - 12:55 am

The Sick Ameba Brains Of The Liberals

Teachers' unions fight bill that would bar sex offenders from schools

Published October 23, 2013•

A bipartisan bill that would stop convicted sex offenders from working in schools has been passed by the House but is running into a foe as it heads to the Senate: major teachers' unions like the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers.

Kyle Olson, with the Education Action Group Foundation told Megyn Kelly Wednesday night on “The Kelly File” that the unions’ objection to the bill proves “unions are out to protect the adults…they are not out for the interests of the children.”

“We should have zero tolerance for issues like this,” Olson said. “We have zero tolerance policies for weapons, a kid who bites a Pop Tart into a gun or has a Hello Kitty bubble-maker will be suspended or expelled if they have those sorts of things…”

The measure would require school systems to check state and federal criminal records for employees with unsupervised access to elementary and secondary school students, and for people seeking those jobs. Workers refusing to submit to the checks would not be allowed to have school positions.

In letters to lawmakers, the unions have claimed the measure might jeopardize workers' protections under union contracts.

Additionally, Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., has spoken out against the bill, saying it does not allow for people to overcome their criminal backgrounds.

Olson said that the bill is not attempting to stop sex offenders from working altogether, but “they shouldn’t be in a school.”

“They shouldn’t have direct access to children,” Olson said. “Again, I think that is a no-brainer.”

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/24/13 - 07:20 am

RANT - on McDuffie DA and Sheriffs dept.

<+strong> A relatives family is still waiting to see IF the Thomson/McDuffie Co. DA will charge a Caretaker for the elderly with grand theft.

A caretaker that stole over $2,000+ from a relatives mother up there.

As I understand, despite the caretaker initially admitting her guilt, and the modified checks, McDuffie Co. still has not made an arrest after almost 2 years.

I can only guess they, (DA, and 1 politician), are hoping the 90 y/o women will die 1st, or they can push it out passed the statue of limitations.

At least, the family has made inquiries in Atlanta and has been assured of an alternate enforcement avenue, if something locally is not done soon.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/24/13 - 07:50 am

Great idea and I hope tailgaters are one of the main targets.

If you'd get out of the left lane while you're driving 40 to 50 mph and texting, talking to your friends on your cell, putting on your makeup and eating your Happy Meal there probably wouldn't be anyone tailgating you!! I'll bet you skipped the part in the drivers manual about courtesy on the roadway! Common courtesy says when being overtaken by a faster vehicle, move to the right lane and allow them to pass! It may be someone responding to a family emergency, or an unmarked emergency vehicle! Keep driving in the left lane chatting on your Obamaphone and we'll keep tailgating!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/13 - 07:55 am

Good Morning "Word Of Advice" America

Never Fly Delta if you can help it.

Flight time from Atlanta to Tokyo is 14 hrs. When we got to Atlanta, the Delta aircraft 747-400 was in repair, so we were switched to KAL to Seoul on their 747-800. WOW, the entire plane was 1st Class, all seats highly soft upholstered, seats could go from total upright to a bed, steward were beautiful models with a smiles 100% of the time, (making 14 hours seem short watching the movements), 3 good heated meals and service was beyond words. The only trouble was we had to stay overnight in Seoul.

Now the return flight was also beyond words....4 un-uniformed stewards, 3 most unpleasant I think women, 50 to 100 year old and one gay male. All 4 sure let you know that they did like their jobs and really didn't want to provide you with any service except having to throw you a bag of peanuts, an 2 uneatable frozen meals. I can tell you how you will feel after sitting in a electric chair for 14 hours.
I know I sound like I am complaining, but it is hard not too when you go from one extreme to another.

What is wrong with America to get to the point of not even being able to compete with foreign countries. Could it be Liberals and Unions?

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/24/13 - 07:58 am

CG & local nursing homes

CG, when we finally had to place our mother in a 24/7 care facility we immediately expanded our search beyond the CSRA homes.

We located a great one in Gibson Ga.
Sure it is 40 min. drive via Wrens but at least local family
members see her twice daily.

The facility in Gibson is TOTALLY UNLIKE like the local dumping grounds we toured in the Augusta area.

Their facility has limited access, clean floor, walls and sheets. An ZERO Urine smell. Most of all enough staff to do the job and it is run as a NOT FOR PROFIT care facility.
================================

UNLIKE the one we temporarily placed my Mother-in-Law
in, (the one near Trinity), due a fall and broken disc.
Based on Gov tracking reports, this was one of the
better rating nursing homes, so we placed her there for rehab.

Soon my wife and I were there 6 to 10 hours a day making sure she got fed and cared for.

At the location near Trinity:
* Walk-in room access to anyone,
* patients roaming the halls after 11pm
* Patients entering other patient rooms.
* 1 RN and 2 CNA handling 100+ patients.
* Males and Females (4 patients) sharing one bathroom with double access doors.
* "I need help" call lights burning 10 to 12 mins. before switched off.
and more.

A Spanish speaking CNA, warned us of some of the corner cutting and what to handle ourselves. We were told she quit a few days later.

It finally took us dropping a dime on them with the state, to get a lot of basic things straighten out.

Something is really wrong with any facility, when just before lunch it still smells of strong urine.

As for myself,

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/13 - 08:04 am

nocnoc,

Those are my exact words also.....

"As for myself,
I decided long ago I would NEVER be placed in a Nursing home and wrote it into my Living Will. I wish is to go for a long walk in the Western North Carolina or North Ga. Mountains when my viable time has comes."

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/13 - 08:09 am

First Amored Vehicles, Buying All Ammo And Now This...

Folks, something is brewing...

FEMA recently ordered 420 million survival meals.

Why?

FEMA is scared that people will hoard survival food because it is the #1 most critical item in a crisis. FEMA knows that if you control the food supply, then you control the people.

That's why smart patriots have secured their own stockpile of survival food.

And it explains why emergency food is flying off the shelves and is sold out at many suppliers.

In fact, FEMA recently contacted my food supplier and attempted to buy up my entire inventory (don't worry, we refused to sell to FEMA). Why would the government do this? What do they know that we don't?

Listen, gold costs around $1,262 an ounce these days.

But you can get true food independence with a little known secret that instantly saves you & your family from the coming food crisis for 98.1% less than an ounce of gold.

Which is the better investment? [HINT: you can't eat gold]

When the grocery store shelves are bare, you and your family will have plenty to eat. You won't have to rely on FEMA or those crooks in the government to put food on your table. In fact, your surplus food will literally be worth more than gold.

P.S. Here's proof... InfoWars.com reported that "FEMA is contacting storable food suppliers requesting immediate delivery of food reserves within a 24 hour period, increasing suspicions that the federal government is accelerating its preparations for social disorder or an environmental calamity." Emergency food supplies are now sold out at many locations.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/13 - 09:09 am

One question Cgee

How many people can walk in to Japan & get on freebies & health care right from the git go??

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/24/13 - 09:10 am

"IT’S TIME THAT the Augusta

"IT’S TIME THAT the Augusta Commission members got educated on the" fact that the sensible thing to do is authorize SMOKING and NON-SMOKING bars and restaurants and let the PRIVATE BUSINESS OWNERS decide which they want to be and let the CUSTOMERS decide which businesses they will patronize.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/13 - 09:11 am

nocnoc & cgee

If the bears are hungry too...you won't have to walk very far.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/13 - 09:15 am

Help me with this please

"RICHMOND County was awarded a grant to help discourage impaired and aggressive drivers."

Why would we need a taxfunded grant to do the same job our county police are doing??
Do you see why we are going in the tank...this is ridiculous....someone PAYS taxes for these redundant jobs.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/13 - 09:40 am

Mitt Romney has a secret room

I read this am that a new home he is building has a secret room..(secret is out though)..now why would he need this....I would like one too but I'm sure he could afford all the security he could possibly need...
I used to think it was foolish to move to another country (like the Bahamas--Cayman Islands) but now, that might be just what would work....the news is depressing---the politics stink--our hard earned benefits are eroding as we speak.....tv stations are owned by big money folks....everyone has their own agenda...both sides of politics...honesty has fallen by the wayside....we can moan & groan on here but it stays the same..

I shall take my depressing mood & exit ....I might need some good vibes to lift my spirit today......see yall.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/24/13 - 09:43 am

Soc. Sec. rant

"SOCIAL SECURITY recipients are going to get a measly 1.5 percent raise in their benefits next year. Wow, that’s going to really mean a big difference to us who depend on it for a living"

If the talk in Washington, DC gets any more fixated on cutting "entitlements" we may very well see CUTS in Soc. Sec. and Medicare!!

etlinks
etlinks 10/24/13 - 09:49 am

t3

Social security is NOT a entitlement.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/13 - 09:58 am

B4

Answer your question....That would never happen..Period.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 10/24/13 - 10:17 am

"Listen, gold costs around $1,262 an ounce these days."

CG....if you have some you're willing to sell at that price, I'm a buyer.

john
john 10/24/13 - 10:19 am

1.5

Must be nice to get a raise. I and many people I know havent had one in a few years. Cant wait to see what happens to the nice healthcare benefits we have had for years. FORWARD!
We as a society spend too much time trying to be offended and whining.

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/24/13 - 10:20 am

So....

Rant 1....Pleaseeee get outta the way!

Rant 5....FYI: I have been in three (3) vehicles that rolled over a multitude of times and NONE even had seatbelts!!!!!!

Rant 7....WHY do speed traps, in your humble opinion, seem to always be on a downhill???

Nuff said for all three of you'se! NOT "ya'll!!!!"

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/24/13 - 11:04 am

harley

Get in line(:

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/24/13 - 11:18 am

According to my last SS earnings statement

I PAID IN over $213,###.00 in my 43 years of working.

Given gradual deposits, salary increases over my career and etc...
So @ 5% (1.5% to 9% over 40 years) average interest, compounded at only 40 years that is about $900K to 1 million of my $$$$ the government borrowed, used, and loaned out.

The FED's plan to return Less than $28K a year, so at $900k
I will have to live 32 years to draw out just the $900K.
But while I am drawing it out What is still in the account is making interesting a growing also.

So I would likely need to live 50 years beyond 62 to draw it out. Which means I need to live to be 112 years old.

I would say I invested that amount in my account
and I am darn well Entitled to it.

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/24/13 - 12:21 pm

If you can't make it on your Social Security then get a job! I

guess the next comment will be that it is not truly Social Security it's Social Security Disability and (whine) 'I can't work.

No way to win with those who are expecting the 'gvment' to do everything for them..

Hey Seenit, LOL!, I think your police got into trouble with the local media types over the way they strap people down to draw their blood for a DUI case. The "Implied Consent" law has not been modified and a person 'can refuse' any test and just lose their license. Search warrants are being issued for this 'illegal' draw and I see some lawyer type filing paperwork to question the practice. At least they're not strapping many down now. Hope you saw the video! If not it is on Fox 5 Atlanta's site.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/24/13 - 01:38 pm

Halloween get together?

Did anyone ever look into a commenters' get together at the newspaper near halloween??

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/13 - 04:00 pm

I Just Have To Post A Liberal Laugh For Today

You couldn't find a better demonstration showing the mindset of a Liberal.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/24/13 - 03:30 pm

RAVE - Finally for the ARC-DOT

Mims Road has finally been opened.
The 65+/- feet of damaged roadway that took, just over,
3 months has been repaired.

It looks like a good job also.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/13 - 04:07 pm

Don't Turn the Stopcock The Wrong Way

Dang, I'd be afraid to be strapped down to a table for a DUI blood test after a roadblock that I refused considering that's the same procedure for administering the death penalty. The unlicensed personnel may turn the stopcock the wrong way.

Bizkit
21951
Bizkit 10/24/13 - 05:08 pm

I think the last ticket I got

I think the last ticket I got was in 1977-although I've been pulled over hundreds if not thousands of times since then. Yes , see back in 1977 I watched Star Wars and Obi Wan Kenobi used the mind control to cloud peoples minds. Pretty kool stuff I thought and decided to try it, and no ticket since. Pretty neat huh. Obviously Obama figured it out too-on a more global scale.