Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I LOOK EVERYDAY to see whether Michael Holahan has taken a picture for the paper. I really enjoy his work.

WE ARE NOT a democracy; we are a republic. If you have any doubt of that you can recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

RAVE FOR Barney’s Pharmacy. They are the most thoughtful, polite and helpful pharmacy I have ever been in.

IS THERE ANY place in Evans that will take care of feet and nails for people who can’t bend over to get to their feet?

RANT ABOUT “Obamacare.” I am tired of people saying they are not going to get it. They voted him into office, so they will have to deal with it.

WHEN ARE THE people going to let the government know they work for us? Our tax money pays their salary from the president on down. They treat us like dogs. Try to say what we should eat and our health care like we are under dictatorship. We need to replace everyone in Washington.

I DON’T MIND giving to a number of charities, but when I do I get months of advertisements in the mail. It seems like they spend every penny I give them on advertisements. If they didn’t do so much advertising, they would have a lot more money.

WE ARE IN a dictatorship. Until the Lord comes back everything is going to be topsy-turvy.

IT IS TIME OUR elected officials wake up and face the destruction they are doing to our country. Both houses have no idea what they are doing, playing with people’s lives and don’t seem to care.

WHY DO WE HAVE Russian troops in this country? Republicans and Democrats are pathetic. Wake up. America.

I SAY PUT PRISONERS out there to cut grass and clean up the cemeteries.

I WANT TO MAKE a comment about the government shutdown. People know what to do when the elections come up. If people can’t get along you need to vote them all out. That goes for the city council, too.

AS THE TRAFFIC GETS heavier as our community grows, the more aggressive people are driving. My question is what is going to be done (if anything) about the reckless drivers and speeding in Columbia and Richmond counties?

IF AUGUSTA CAN BE designated a slum, why doesn’t D.C. get honest and designate the U.S. Capitol and the White House slums?

countyman
19683
countyman 10/21/13 - 07:11 pm
Private developers love Richmond County

The CSRA/metro continues to attract new retailers, and West Augusta/North Richmond are leading the way..

WRDW is reporting both DSW and HomeGoods are officially coming to West Augusta. The WRDW article was created only a few days after my comments related to the Washington Crossing development in the Augusta Chronicle.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/21/13 - 07:21 pm
I don't know what we would do

without Countyman, we would be totally in the dark.
As for the "beg letters" that's what I have started calling them as I also get them by the pounds, I have determined to not send any money anymore to any of them. Give to someone that is near you and you know needs help. And if the beggers don't get any more donations, maybe they will wake up and stop sending all that mail. The March of Dimes - sends a dime in each letter - SAVE those dimes - they will do a lot of good. If I find a penny I tell myself that now I need only 99 more to make a dollar!

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/21/13 - 08:35 pm
Really?

Obama said: "Nobody's madder than me about the fact that the website isn't working as well as it should, which means it's going to get fixed." Heck, he only spent $650 million on the website.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/21/13 - 09:26 pm
Responsibility

The website was Obama's responsibility to manage, and he delegated it to Kathleen Sebelius. Now he's acting like he had nothing to do with it. It's the Limbaugh Theorem proven again.

KSL
KSL 10/21/13 - 11:40 pm
So what's new?

So what's new?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/21/13 - 11:42 pm
Beg mail

We've donated to 4 different organizations in the past couple of years that have literally covered us up with email, paper mail, and phone calls.

No more!

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/22/13 - 02:51 am
Rant #4 -

– Feet and nails, and bending over!

You can try various state supported “self-esteem” programs. Here is a couple for your “need” (an aside – need and want is now a synonym; but there is a program for every “need”):

National Association for Self-Esteem -

In some cases you can try programs under “Urban development and beautification” within the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Also if you're female you can try:

or

If you're a minority you can try:

If you're homosexual and have issues, this is a great starting point -

My point? Why, there's just no uncomfortable situation that a progressive can imagine, that there isn't already a super-duper gov't program in place to correct.

I was always, whilst growing up, under the impression that certain points in my life would be tough AND that those points in my life could & would shape and define me. Wow, what an understatement!

I never, not even once, thought I needed the National Association for Self-Esteem!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/22/13 - 04:24 am
RANT ABOUT “Obamacare.” I am

I did not vote for him so I don't have to get it then???

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/22/13 - 04:47 am
Rant about Obamacare....I'm

Rant about Obamacare....I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm going to start asking these Obama supporters if they're getting it! Let's see them do a song and dance around it if they say no, and to the few that say yes, I'll just ask them questions about it and see what kind of bull they try to give me! Hey, it'll be good for a few laughs!

Riverman1
82051
Riverman1 10/22/13 - 05:15 am
Cutting Your Toenails

If you can't cut your own toenails ask a relative or friend. Maybe you can offer to do some task for them if they cut your toenails. There's always something you can do in return.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/22/13 - 07:49 am
Well there is a lot of fraud.

Well there is a lot of fraud. Like President Obama telling folks they will be able to keep their present health insurance-when no one with private health insurance will be able to keep their present policy and must reapply for a new ACA compliant plan-which is more costly that their old plan. So either the man is ignorant of the health care plan or he is intentionally telling a whopper.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/22/13 - 08:01 am
The Blythe rumored shady library deal

It being an election cycle and politics being what they can be...
Is there any validity to the rumor I keep hearing that the Blythe council deliberately circumvented a bid process, using a technicality?

I am hearing the Blythe council allowed a member to directly contact a building vendor to streamline the process and avoid having to put it out for bids.

A building vendor, that family members have or had working contentions with and personal purchases.

A meeting purchase process that was not listed in Augusta / County official papers, but in a Burke County paper?

A rumored process, with the goal of: What can you build & delivered for $99,$$$? To avoid having to use the bid process for $100K.

Like I said it is an election year is there thing to this?

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/22/13 - 08:05 am
Oh the fit will hit the shan.

Oh the fit will hit the shan. Because people believe although the cost of the insurance is higher that their subsidy will offset the costs so they pay nothing or very little. Dream on, dream on. You will still pay, and it will be more and more through time. Because as young people get sick of footing the bill for the old, and the wealthy get tired of working to give it to the govt so they work less-revenues will decrease so subsidies will decrease. The incentive to produce is gone for the half receiving freebies and incentive to produce is gone for those producing. The ultimate end game for wealth redistribution will be less productivity and economic decline. Nothing is for free. Basically people will starve the beast.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/22/13 - 08:26 am
When you try and starve the beast, he becomes a cannibal.

When you try and starve the beast, he becomes a cannibal.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/22/13 - 08:32 am
The charitable requests are called "buck slips" in the industry.

And soliciting charitable, tax deductible, 501(3)c $$ is an industry. Those who are the best a plucking your heart strings get huge bonuses. The only real work is done by volunteers. But in an elitist world, what else would you expect.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/22/13 - 08:34 am
Who is paying for all of the PINK athletic wear, advertisement?

Who is paying for all of the PINK athletic wear, advertisement?

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/22/13 - 08:35 am
The business of CANCER is probably next to drug trafficking

in money making industries.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/22/13 - 08:36 am
Do we have a Federal War on Cancer?

Do we have a Federal War on Cancer?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/22/13 - 08:46 am
Blythe Library

If what nocnoc asked about is true, it could be that the Blythe city council attended a purchasing workshop facilitated by Geri Sams.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/22/13 - 08:51 am
Words the President would do well to read.

“Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible.”

--Hyman Rickover

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/13 - 09:00 am
Nail shop on every corner

I have about a dozen to choose from within 3 miles...they will help you because they love that money-honey.....find one you like & trust.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/13 - 09:04 am
Stunned at bar article..haha

I don't think I have ever been stunned.....surprised---happy--tipsey--elated--sad--but NEVER stunned!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/13 - 09:06 am
But..

I have been stunned on here with some of the comments..lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/13 - 09:15 am
Blythe Library

I can not believe yall are making a big deal out of this library.....this will benefit the small town & help the kiddies there...BUT NOOO....yall want to jerk this great decision up one side & down another.....never thinking about THE CHILDREN....
Geez....I'm totaly STUNNED! :):)

dichotomy
31952
dichotomy 10/22/13 - 09:31 am
"Obamacare...........They

"Obamacare...........They voted him into office, so they will have to deal with it."

Well, you got the "THEY" part right. Most young people are going to look at those rates and decide to just pay the fine. The cost of paying for Obamacare is going to fall on the 53% who are already paying all federal taxes and therefore for all federal programs. Look for HUGE tax increases in the future to pay for this program. Start doing everything you can to reduce your federal tax burden. This program will collapse on itself or collapse the country, one or the other.

The Obamacare web site is symbolic of the Obama administration. Everything concerned with this man is a FAIL. His foreign policy, his economy, his green energy "stimulus", etc. are ALL a 100% FAIL.

I just cannot believe that the Obama administration selected a Canadian company that had already FAILED on a big Canadian government contract to do the Obamacare web site. They have spent $650 million on this fiasco and had 4 years to do it AND FAILED. For $650 million you can pay 200 computer programmers $325,000 a year each for 10 years. Amazon or Google could have had this site up and running in 6 months for $5 or $10 million bucks. The Obama administration and government run health care = %100 FAIL. This is your government at work folks. This is what %53 of YOU WHO PAY TAXES get for your money. Total incompetence. Do you really want them dictating your health care policies and procedures?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/22/13 - 09:39 am
Rickover Quote

Thank you, Angela, for that Adm. Rickover quote. In today's Chronicle print edition is the page one story of the president vowing to resolve "glitches" with the insurance sign-up scam. I got nauseated reading it:

By Jack Gillum
Associated Press

WASHINGTON—President Obama on Monday offered “no excuses” –and little explanation – for the computer bugs still frustrating Americans who are trying to enroll online for insurance plans at the center of his health care law.

Obama stopped short of apologizing for the failures, saying instead that “nobody is more frustrated than me.”

LL—Stop. Obama apologize for something he is responsible for? It will be a cold day in hell when you see Obama apologize for that. He will, however, apologize to Muslim nation leaders for how terrible the United States of America was before he became president. Back to the AP:

The administration also acknowledged . . . that online Spanish-language sign-ups would remain unavailable, despite a promise to Hispanic groups that the capability would start this week.

LL—Stop. Another broken promise; one in a long line. Back to the AP:

The White House says additional technology experts from both inside and outside government are being brought in to work on the failures.

LL—Stop. We are again reminded that for liberals the only solution to a government failure is more government, more money thrown at the bad idea. In this case it is good money thrown after bad policy. Back to the AP:

It appears the problems were well-known to some of those designing the system. One developer said that in the weeks leading up to the Oct. 1 launch, he and his colleagues huddled in conference rooms trying to patch deficiencies in computer code. “It was an extremely tight deadline,” said the developer, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was told not to talk to the news media about his work.

LL—Stop. So much for what was promised to be the most transparent administration in history. Back to the AP:

. . . . (A)pplicants must submit at least 50 pieces of personal information, including income and immigration status. That data is [sic] then connected to at least eight distinct federal computer systems, including the Social Security Administration and the Peace Corps.

LL—Stop. If an applicant lists his immigration status as “illegal” or its synonymous euphemism “undocumented,” is that applicant still eligible to receive his insurance subsidy? Back to the AP:

. . . . (T)he White House appeared to open the door to not penalizing those whose efforts to sign up were confounded by the system’s problems. “The law is clear that if you do not have access to affordable health insurance, then you will not be asked to pay a penalty because you haven’t purchased affordable health insurance,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said.

LL—Stop. That’s a pretty nifty loophole.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/13 - 09:39 am
Oprah refused Obama??

Something strange going on there...I heard he wanted her to promote the new ACA deal & she said she didn't have the time or inclination to do so....waaaayyy to go O....of course she doesn't need his help.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/22/13 - 09:41 am
Stunned

seenit, you are stunned because taxpayers are concerned that the Library monies were not bid out? Why?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/13 - 09:48 am
JTF

Because I'm a woman & that is the way I feel "today"...check with me next Sunday & I might have a different opinion...BUT not today....the whole country has gone BAT CRAZY & don't feel so great myself!
Too bad I have to leave this place & can't explain the workings of a woman's mind...lol

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/22/13 - 09:51 am

Authorities to target impaired drivers during holiday

Authorities in Georgia and South Carolina are teaming up this weekend to target impaired drivers. About 1.2 million motorists in the two states who plan to travel during what AAA projects will be ...