Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

2 are sent to prison for disability fraud

NORTH AUGUSTA — Au­thor­ities say two North Au­gusta women who falsely claimed to be blind have been sentenced to five months in federal prison for stealing nearly $200,000 in fraudulent Social Security payments.

U.S. Attorney Bill Net­tles said Thursday that Ri­ta Sherlock, 38, and Mary Sher­lock, 42, have been receiving Social Security disability payments since the mid-1990s by claiming to be blind. They had valid South Carolina driver’s licenses and had been cited for traffic violations.

Nettles said each woman pleaded guilty to theft of government funds. Their sentences will be followed by five months of house arrest. Rita Sherlock must repay the government more than $100,000, and Mary Sher­lock must repay nearly $92,000.

SB3
SB3 10/18/13 - 02:10 am
Never see a dime.

And why no jail? That's certainly worse than a lot of other things people go to jail for. Also, who checks these things? Obviously nobody. Look for ten new signups on Monday.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/18/13 - 02:56 am
The "Sherlock" family?

Bad pun occurs to me, but it will never pass muster with moderator here.
Dixieman is not holding his breath waiting for the $192,000 (or even a little portion of it) to be repaid.

SB3
SB3 10/18/13 - 04:17 am
Mea culpa

Read too quickly. Five months in prison.

myfather15
myfather15 10/18/13 - 04:31 am
Wait....What? Disability

Wait....What? Disability fraud? I thought this didn't happen according to the liberals?

I can promise you, it happens MUCH more often than people realize!! This was two people pretending to be blind, which can easily be proven a lie. Obviously they've been claiming this since the 90's; did not ONE federal employee ever talk to a family member or do ANY sort of investigation? My guess is NO!! This lady probably had a fake letter from a doctor and they didn't even look into the letter.

Ok, this was blindness and easily proven. How about all those people using their BACK as their disability? How do you prove they are lying? You certainly can't tell them they are NOT hurting!! What about depression, bi-polar and many more that you can get disability for? Who is going to prove you different?

The bottom line is; if you are NOT an honorable person and you have the patience to wait; you too can lie and draw disability!! There are millions of people out here doing just that!!

Now, before some liberal liar says we hate the disabled, I'm NOT talking about people who truly are disabled!! People who are physically or mentally disabled, we should be taking care of and we ARE!!! Government assistance should be just that, ASSISTANCE!! Family, friends and Church should be taking care of them primarily; and the government should assist with those payments by paying back what that person had paid during their life!! It's their money!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/18/13 - 04:43 am
The photo with the story is

The photo with the story is confusing. I know it's the crime and courts column, but it doesn't fit to show a photo with another story. I'd like to see a photo of the Sherlocks.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/18/13 - 06:01 am
Bender & Bender. 60 Minutes had them on last Sunday. And West

Virginia is the #1 state for SSDI fraud. One lawyer has 100% rate for claimants in W.VA.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/18/13 - 06:02 am
Disability lawyers with their own doctors. 100% client approval

Disability lawyers with their own doctors. 100% client approval

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/18/13 - 06:03 am
Medicare/Medicad is the #1 money maker for the mob.

Medicare/Medicad is the #1 money maker for the mob.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 06:45 am
The Sherlocks

Ring a bell to anyone in N Augusta??

Yep, it does, but the mods won't like the comments..what a crock & the money will be lost forever imo.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/18/13 - 07:16 am
There has been a lot in the

There has been a lot in the news lately about disability fraud and the billions it cost the taxpayers annually.

I hope they catch every one of them and burn their behinds.

KSL
KSL 10/18/13 - 07:25 am
seenit, it does. Loud and clear.

Bet I know where they live.

grinder48
2050
grinder48 10/18/13 - 07:30 am
Seize Their Property

... if they have any. Of course they're probably sleazy enough to have property in name of someone else ... another Sherlock maybe ... OH MY!

david jennings
david jennings 10/18/13 - 07:50 am
We don't realize

I don't know if the magnitude of the abuse of government programs that encourage dependence will ever be revealed. We all know it exist but I can't imagine it ever being exposed for what it really is. Two people, out of millions, now thats what I call getting tough on fraud.

JRC2024
JRC2024 10/18/13 - 08:03 am
I wish they would pay me what

I wish they would pay me what they owe me. Finally had to charge it off because I got too tired of going over to the "camp" and being told to come back on Monday. Cash up front is the only way I would ever do anything for that crowd any more. They make big promises but never follow what they say. All who own a business BEWARE

LLArms
LLArms 10/18/13 - 08:38 am
Sherlock eh? Wonder what

Sherlock eh? Wonder what clan...err I mean family they come from. lol

triscuit
triscuit 10/18/13 - 08:52 am
probably how they afford way

probably how they afford way better items than I can...and never seem to work. Sherlock, I am sure that amount of cash is peanuts to the ones at the SC compound.

Pops
Pops 10/18/13 - 09:09 am
They have plenty of money available

I say let them stay in federal prison until the family pays the money back......plus interest......

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/18/13 - 09:13 am
Wouldn't

have a Murphy Village connection now? Maybe 3 families could sell their pick-ups and Cadillacs and return the moola?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/18/13 - 10:00 am
When I saw the names and the

When I saw the names and the original photo up with a black woman, that's why I pointed out it didn't fit. Yeah, we all know where these women came from.

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/18/13 - 10:14 am
And we all know that none of those in the neighborhood ever pay

any income taxes on money they receive for the 'work' they supposedly do!

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/18/13 - 10:28 am
A Big DITTO to LLARMS!!! NO TEXT1

no text.

gotellitonthemountain
gotellitonthemountain 10/18/13 - 10:44 am
Is the Sherlock family part of the "Travelers" clan?

I recall watching something on TV about a clan called "Travelers" in North Augusta whose members prey on the public via a host of nefarious schemes. Some of the commenters here make veiled references to the Sherlocks which suggest that these women are part of a group. Wondering if it's the Travelers.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/18/13 - 12:38 pm
I once had a post pulled with

I once had a post pulled with the admonition that comments implying an entire group of people were guilty of illegal activities would not be tolerated.
The odd thing for me was that I didn't know of any in that group who were legitimate businesspeople.

Pops
Pops 10/18/13 - 01:43 pm
Yep

The Sherlocks, Gormans, Rileys, O'Haras......they make up the vast majority of what are the "travellers". According to all that I have met over the years, they are the most misunderstood and vilified group in this area.
I do not feel sorry for any of them.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/18/13 - 03:37 pm
5 months??? 5 months???

5 months??? 5 months??? Anyone else who stole $200,000 would get 10 to 20 years.

What is wrong with our judges? A 5 month sentence is NO deterrent OR punishment. In fact, it would encourage me to try some other fraud.

We need to start showing our judges our displeasure with their incompetence......or corruptness.....whichever the case. Has to be one or the other.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...