Rants & Raves

ABOUT THE 4-H staffer who was found not guilty of molestation: The whole case sounded like a modern-day witch trial. A troubled kid with wild accusations and a person’s life ruined. Well, at least they won’t burn the defendant at the stake.

I HAVE BEEN missing the Sego Middle School crossing guards on Peach Orchard. They did a great job.

I FIND IT TOTALLY ridiculous that the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office does not help the citizens of their community. I would think that if someone had a dead battery that you could extend a little courtesy to jump them off. I thought that their oath was to “protect and serve”... I guess not. However, I would like to give a shout out to Columbia County for always helping out their citizens in an efficient manner and still managing to have kind words and smile to offer.

THE DECLINE in violent crime is directly proportional to the rise in concealed weapons permits. Might be a cause and effect; might not.

I WOULD LIKE to thank the woman and her family at Fatz who paid for our lunch. I will pass it on. May God bless you and thank you very much.

MY NEW MOTTO for all these politicians who are causing me to lose everything that I have worked a lifetime for: “If you are in, you are out.”

IT APPEARS that our government has forgotten who they work for. They work for us, the people, not themselves. Maybe they need to remember that and either get past themselves or get out of office.

THIS IS A rave to the guys that helped me change two of my tires at the Circle K on the corner of Belair and Cox roads in Evans. It really meant a lot to me. I didn’t get your names, but I really do appreciate it. My faith in humanity has been restored. Or at least my faith in local people.

RANT FOR THE women complaining that their food stamps have been cut back. They should cut them back more. The baby daddies should be supporting the babies, not the hardworking, tax-paying citizens of America. Cut your cellphones off, too. Trade your Escalade in for a Ford or Chevy.

THE HEADLINE in the paper states that “Nearly 1,000 Iraqis killed in September.” We really have left a mess over there. Don’t tell me that the war was worth it and our mission was a success.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/18/13 - 07:43 am
"but the entire county and

"but the entire county and metro is experiencing some commercial growth."

Yeh, apparently South Augusta is getting a boatload of "might" and "maybe". Oh yeh, and a new drug store to go along with the phantom Five Guys. No countyman, the WHOLE county is NOT experiencing commercial growth. Even with the new drug store South Augusta is WAY DOWN in the LOSER column since Consolidation and the manipulation of policies, revenue distribution, increased taxation, and Section 8 to intentionally kill the Southside. Well mission accomplished. South Augusta is dead commercially and a drug store and phantom Five Guys ain't going to fix it.

But fortunately, EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER IN NORTH AUGUSTA AND THE CHEAPER GAS MAKES IT WORTH THE DRIVE.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/18/13 - 07:44 am
The Fair

Seen it, so true. Excited for weeks in advance. Now, Disney World is a bore.

jimmymac
jimmymac 10/18/13 - 07:46 am
RESPONSIBILITY

Libs wanted the social stigma of unwanted pregnancy erased and now we have more than 70% of all minority children being born out of wedlock. The vast majority are being supported by tax payers. Any attempts to corral the situation is squashed by libs as being anti-children. Sooner or later the tax payers will be taxed out and America will descend into third world status.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/18/13 - 07:47 am
Rent

It is time to dispel GnipGnop's disparagement of renters. The notion that renters do not pay property taxes is incorrect. Buried in that rent payment are all the expenses of the landlord, including property taxes. So, in fact, it is the tenant who pays the landord's property taxes.

Now, Austin Rhodes makes a good point that renters of public housing do not pay property taxes, because there are no property taxes on government-owned housing.

Landlords of private property who accept Section 8 vouchers still make property tax payments, but they are subsidized by the government.

Did I miss anything?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 07:54 am
Ok llamb

You are correct BUT.....there is something about reading that tax bill & writing a CHECK for the tax amount that STICKS with you all year long....true enough that the landlord pays taxes.....but the individual feels it first hand & through the pocket book imho.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 07:58 am
Maybe that is part of the problem

because there are no property taxes on government-owned housing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 08:03 am
I am thinkng this needs to happen

If you don't pay taxes ...you don't get to vote in the USA in any election...

You are voting on what happens to my money....not their own...no dang wonder we have the giverment we have today.....

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 10/18/13 - 08:59 am
Wait a second LL

I never once disparaged renters. I do have a problem with an admitted renter telling me how my tax dollars should be wasted on pie in the sky crap downtown when South Augustans suffer with nothing. I also have a problem with someone who jumps up and down with his poms poms and cheers the TEE Center/Parking Deck/Mariott fiasco when you know they will leave the area one day and it's the residents and property owners that will be stuck with that white elephant for the rest of eternity. So my problem is not with anyone who rents...let's get that straight.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/18/13 - 09:46 am
Got It

Yep, I agree with you about the cheerleading for government boondoggles.

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/18/13 - 10:03 am
@SeenitB4

We old South Augusta people as well as most others remember fondly the Exchange Club fall fairs down on Hale Street. "SeenitB4, please report to the Hale St. paging booth." LOL! The rides, the smells and the tastes were great. It was sort of a right of passage into the fall season and it was always better if it was a little cold and maybe had a hint of rain around.

You were especially lucky if you had a friend in the Exchange Club because they always had passes for entry and most rides.

What great memories! The fall fair is still held but I'm sure it is not like we remember. :(

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/18/13 - 10:09 am
What makes a house historic?

Nobody reads The Columbia County News-Times any more. We R&R commenters can change that. Click on the link below and make a comment about the Strictly Country building that will need to be either demolished or moved off site.

Strictly Country Cottage

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/18/13 - 10:24 am
Welll

The First Comment smacks of a Nancy Grace Viewer's attitude: GUILTY UNTIL proven innocent. Contrary tyo what the US Constitution states.

Third comment: What? So people like you can complain about the cost to Taxpayers for jumper cables for every police car?

Next to last Rant: How do YOU KNOW they even have an "Escalade/"

countyman
countyman 10/18/13 - 11:49 am
The comments are hilarious

The comments are hilarious and I'll just sit back and laugh....

The poster SB3 has absolutely no idea what their talking about..

I've already explained to Gnip Gnop yesterday that I own property in Richmond County.

What predictions have never seem to pan out? Does this person even know the difference between prediction and fact? The funny thing about this comment is 90% of my comments are based on fact... Somebody must not be familiar with construction projects and must believe they automatically start right after their announced.

The main problem is my positive comments and some people want everybody to believe the sky is falling in Richmond County.

I don't have to prove anything to the negative nancies, because I'm certain I have more disposable income than the majority of people accusing me of false things.

It's hilarious that somebody is challenging my credibility, but has the nerve to call actual facts 'predictions' lol...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/18/13 - 11:37 am
LL's 0847

True for all taxes, really. For those that moan and groan about "Big Business" needing to pay more: Go for it. If you don't think you will eventually pay that tax in the form of higher prices on goods and services, you are not very bright.

countyman
countyman 10/18/13 - 11:56 am
Lack of knowledge

Dichotomy..... The Five Guys is already on the planning and zoning website and is approved for construction.. Sometimes I really do wonder if you guys understand how these comments make you sound. The Five Guys is not a rumor or waiting on the approval of the planning and zoning department.

What else can I do but laugh when some posters are using words like 'predictions' or 'phantom' for something approved?

This is why I can't take people's comments like SB3 seriously when they use quote 'predictions' because they have no idea either.

The lack of knowledge and naivety is terms of construction projects is really being show on here daily.

I'll let you guys continue with the personal opinions and I'll stick to the facts..

The facts do suggest that South Augusta is experencing commercial growth.

1. $172 million Starbucks
2. $115 million Rockwood
3. Walgreens
4. 3 acre commercial site next to Walgreens
5. Five Guys
6. Dunkin Donuts
7. Firehouse Subs
8. Hampton Inn hotel

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 10/18/13 - 11:58 am
Outright lie

You said you didn't have to prove anything to anybody. You have never once said you own property. Once again...I can prove I do...you can pick any neutral party you want and I will send them proof i own property. I say that because you are scared to let anyone know who you are. Probably because you are neck deep in some entity that profts from all this...put your money where your mouth is!

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 10/18/13 - 11:57 am
Makes them sound like they understand reality!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/18/13 - 12:02 pm
It may be someone believes

It may be someone believes paying the tax on his car qualifies him as a taxpayer. Anti-one?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/18/13 - 12:13 pm
In No Way Does This Refer to Anybody

In cases of difficult posters we should keep in mind their limitations. I'm going to take a different tact for a moment. I've recently had my suspicions confirmed about the identity of a commenter and I think we should try to be compassionate. It turns out the person is a very MINOR player. If such a person is obsessed to such a degree to comment on here copiously, I can certainly empathize. Goodness, I know I share such compulsions. At least he narrows down his comments to one subject, while I talk about every doggone thing. Keep in mind my limitations.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/18/13 - 12:26 pm
Fact Percentage

Countyman posted:

The funny thing about this comment is 90% of my comments are based on fact.

I guess that one is one of the 10%.

:-)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 10/18/13 - 12:46 pm
Fond, fond memories of the fair

Sean - are ya'll having a problem with ipads
Can you imagine being Obama - he doesn't know if he is white/black from America or Kenya. He doesn't know if he is Muslim or Christian. The man is confused. Bet the Muslims were mad when he said he was Christian.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 12:47 pm
Keep in mind my limitations.

Believe me River...we always do ...♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 12:54 pm
A difference in the posts

Let me just throw this out there..

Just suppose a business/company of sorts has a reason to post good tidings on here & just suppose that many post under the same name .... the reason would be to sell Augusta in every way possible...which is a good idea ...but, what they fail to do is recognize the problems of the great city....just want some to be fair & honest ...imo, that is what is lacking.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/18/13 - 12:58 pm
Speaking of my limitations,

Speaking of my limitations, Seenit said, "Believe me River...we always do "

Not THAT way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 01:02 pm
seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 01:11 pm
Funny sweetson :)

"SeenitB4, please report to the Hale St. paging booth."

I have to report to a post office & get some bills off...so seeyall.

SB3
SB3 10/18/13 - 02:00 pm
Riverman1

Understood. If that behavior is the result of his having this one thing in his life bringing meaning to it, I will be compassionate of course. I think it's sad and I will pity him going forward. The loneliness must be crushing. Thank you.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/18/13 - 02:05 pm
@lilly 1:46pm

As far as i know the iPad is working fine today. What problems are you having?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 10/18/13 - 03:03 pm
Too many Bloody Mary's

Drunk and having too much fun, but home safe - but really Sean my ipad isnt working with the AC - I'll let you know later

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/18/13 - 03:15 pm
@lilly

I'm off until Wednesday, but send me an email. I will try to figure it out or find someone smarter than me who can.