Rants & Raves

ABOUT THE 4-H staffer who was found not guilty of molestation: The whole case sounded like a modern-day witch trial. A troubled kid with wild accusations and a person’s life ruined. Well, at least they won’t burn the defendant at the stake.

I HAVE BEEN missing the Sego Middle School crossing guards on Peach Orchard. They did a great job.

I FIND IT TOTALLY ridiculous that the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office does not help the citizens of their community. I would think that if someone had a dead battery that you could extend a little courtesy to jump them off. I thought that their oath was to “protect and serve”... I guess not. However, I would like to give a shout out to Columbia County for always helping out their citizens in an efficient manner and still managing to have kind words and smile to offer.

THE DECLINE in violent crime is directly proportional to the rise in concealed weapons permits. Might be a cause and effect; might not.

I WOULD LIKE to thank the woman and her family at Fatz who paid for our lunch. I will pass it on. May God bless you and thank you very much.

MY NEW MOTTO for all these politicians who are causing me to lose everything that I have worked a lifetime for: “If you are in, you are out.”

IT APPEARS that our government has forgotten who they work for. They work for us, the people, not themselves. Maybe they need to remember that and either get past themselves or get out of office.

THIS IS A rave to the guys that helped me change two of my tires at the Circle K on the corner of Belair and Cox roads in Evans. It really meant a lot to me. I didn’t get your names, but I really do appreciate it. My faith in humanity has been restored. Or at least my faith in local people.

RANT FOR THE women complaining that their food stamps have been cut back. They should cut them back more. The baby daddies should be supporting the babies, not the hardworking, tax-paying citizens of America. Cut your cellphones off, too. Trade your Escalade in for a Ford or Chevy.

THE HEADLINE in the paper states that “Nearly 1,000 Iraqis killed in September.” We really have left a mess over there. Don’t tell me that the war was worth it and our mission was a success.

countyman
countyman 10/17/13 - 04:51 pm
Washington Crossing joins the ranks of lifestyle centers

I have to give a huge rave for the commercial boom going on presently in Richmond County. West Augusta and North Richmond are leading the way, but the entire county and metro is experiencing some commercial growth.

The new additions of 2013 include Genghis Grill, Cabela's, a movie theater offering restaurant/in theater dining, H&M, Texas Roadhouse, Whole Foods, Michael Kors, etc.. The growth is just beginning and multiple businesses are coming in the future.

I've mentioned the redevelopment of Washington Crossing(Whole Food anchor tenant) before and two of the links go into further detail. The Home Goods and DSW stores would be the first locations in metro Augusta. The restaurant Jason's Deli is another thing we don't have yet.

The new Pita Pit in Evans on Washington road opens November 1st and the Cookout is building their second location(first location in Harrisburg) on South Belair rd/Jimmie Dyess in the Martinez/Grovetown area.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/13 - 04:49 pm
No Such Animal

No one in Augusta refers to my neighborhood as "North Richmond" except for Countyman. He just made the moniker up out of thin air.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/13 - 05:16 pm
Missed It

I must have missed the story about a Richmond County sheriff's deputy refusing to attempt to jump start a citizen's automobile. Though it might at first seem a simple courtesy, there are several things that can go wrong. If you put the cables on crosswise, you can do damage to the cables and you can have a hydrogen gas explosion under worst case scenarios. Also, the problem might be something other than merely a dead battery, so the attempt would end in failure. Also, there are opportunities for busted knuckles, and the deputy's supervisor would be miffed about filing a first-aid report. And what do you think would happen if an emergency call came in to the deputy's location when he was elbow-deep in the jump starting adventure? You can even imagine a scenario where the "citizen" gets the deputy deeply involved in hooking up the cables and the citizen shoots the deputy dead, then drives off casually in the patrol car.

Let's let the deputies do the law enforcement, and let AAA do the jump starting.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/13 - 04:58 pm
Flat Tires

Ranter #8 had good fortune. My question is, who travels around with two spares in the trunk?

countyman
countyman 10/17/13 - 06:29 pm
North Richmond & West Augusta

Little Lamb...... Chipotle is expected to announce their Augusta location either this year or in 2014. Do you think the company will choose West Augusta or North Richmond? The Washington Crossing redevelopment could definitely work in terms offering Chipotle to the local metro area.

Why do all of these new businesses continue to flock here? Are the developers or the commentators who consistently bash Augusta wearing rose colored glasses?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/17/13 - 06:33 pm
A Couple of Comments

I can't see myself asking a deputy to give me a jump. I'd call lots of people or garages first.

LL, yep, West Augusta is booming with the Villages at Riverwalk and other places. West Augusta and Columbia County are growing together.

Ha, good point about the two spare tires. Heh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/17/13 - 06:36 pm
Chipolte is another Mexican

Chipolte is another Mexican restaurant...right?

casimir56
casimir56 10/17/13 - 06:43 pm
No Sports Coverage

A rant to the Chronicle for their non-coverage of the Laney Wildcats girls Volleyball Team on a 3-0 HOME Playoff victory. I am a white person, but I applaud hard work and great effort by these ladies to come from a disadvantaged background to learn and accel at the game. Congratulations to you. Hope you continue to do well.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 10/17/13 - 08:37 pm
Well Countyman?

Put your money where your mouth is...prove you aren't just a renter.

countyman
countyman 10/17/13 - 09:00 pm
Come back to reality

What makes you think I have to prove anything to you?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/13 - 09:03 pm
Ay, Yah Yah, Yah Yay . . .

Canta y no lloren . . .

Yes, we must celebrate the opening of yet one more Mexican restaurant in Augusta.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 10/17/13 - 09:07 pm
That's what I thought....

You can't deal with that fact. You are a renter. Otherwise you would have jumped all over that one.

countyman
countyman 10/17/13 - 10:12 pm
Reality

I'm sorry that you actually thought I would jump all over something to reveal my personal information or if you think I will lose sleep over your personal opinion..

My positive comments are really getting to some people, because their obviously reaching for straws..

The rumors of Chick Fil A coming to South Augusta on Peach Orchard continue, and the Denny's restaurant is another one. The entire Peach Orchard corridor is starting to change, because of the Five Guys at the Colony Plaza and Dunkin Donuts/Firehouse Subs coming...

SB3
SB3 10/18/13 - 02:38 am
Positive comments?

Not a problem. It's the incessant cheerleading without ever acknowledging valid concerns, even denying they're real. Add in the "personal opinion vs fact" meme you keep harping on when your own personal opinions have been pointed out time and again, plus the predictions that never seem to pan out (and are now ridiculed frequently because of the cognitive dissonance shown), and need I go on?

Of course you're a renter. It's important because you have no investment in our concerns. And it's silly to keep avoiding or lying about it because whether you're a renter or property owner is not in itself personally identifying information. If you owned property, you could (indeed would) have said so immediately, even before GnipGnop asked you to prove it. It's clear to everyone so denying it just undermines your credibility further.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/18/13 - 05:28 am
It is a cause and effect and statistically proven

A Proven fact the decline of violent crime is directly proportional to the rise in concealed weapons permits.

Read the repeatedly proven statistical study conducted by John Lott called

"More Guns, Less Crime "

Proves violent crime rates go down when states pass "shall issue" concealed carry laws. His statistical analysis of crime data covers
EVERY COUNTY in the United States from 1977 to 2005. (29 years).

There have been three editions of More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws, all published by University of Chicago Press: ISBN 978-0-226-49366-4 is the latest edition

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/18/13 - 06:06 am
Throw the Bums out

I have heard it repeated for 40+ years, yet we have only done it
twice in my living memory.

Now look where we are as of this morning:
$16.965 Trillion in National Debt.
That's $53,553 per citizen.
But if you are a Tax Payers that's $148,135
(wow that means non-taxpayers vs Taxpayers are 2+ to 1 )

So I plan to vote based on what best for America.
It will not be for a National Party this go around.

I just want a Representative, that votes ONLY as he promised
to get elected.

What am I looking for>?
Fiscal responsibility,
and the ability to read and follow the US Constitution and
Bill Of Rights when voting.

That simple selection process will eliminate many of those now in it for fame, power, control, $$$$ and Social Change.

If don't think we have a National spending problem, please look at the following 1st:

2000 National Debt http://www.usdebtclock.org/2000.html
2004 National Debt http://www.usdebtclock.org/2004.html
2008 National Debt http://www.usdebtclock.org/2008.html
2013 National Debt http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/18/13 - 06:09 am
Jump

Ignorance is bliss! With the radios and computers in LEO vehicles, jumping someone off would entail totally disconnecting everything electronic in the LEO vehicle to prevent any damage from occuring. Yes, even vehicles can suffer power surges in doing this, that could destroy thousands of dollars worth of equipment! It's less costly to let you call an auto service, garage or friend than to replace that vehicle and equipment.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 10/18/13 - 06:10 am
SB3

I couldn't have said it better...thank you.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/18/13 - 06:12 am
The baby daddies should be supporting the babies

I agree, why doesn't DFACS require them to provide the Baby Daddy name so that they can pursue them for child support? It seems we have several government agencies that could work together to do this. Wait, I just realized what I said!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/18/13 - 06:22 am
I no longer use jumper cables

I carry a small Battery Jumper Pack box in my bug-put box.
Off/On Switch with Polarity protection and a lot safer. $49.95

Why:
Because I still have the acid burns on my arms from helping a friend back in the mid 70's jump start a VW. She swore up and down it was 12vdc Neg Ground when she hooked up her side of the cables. $85 dollars, an rebuilt alternator, a new battery and clothing that rotted to pieces by the next morning.

But I learned a life lesson,
No matter how pretty, Trust but Verify.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 06:33 am
Right on SB3

SOOO RIGHT!!

That it the problem in a nutshell.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 06:35 am
What a new concept coldbeer

"The baby daddies should be supporting the babies..."

Ya got catch them first....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 06:47 am
Cheating the system..again & again

Au­thor­ities say two North Au­gusta women who falsely claimed to be blind have been sentenced to five months in federal prison for stealing nearly $200,000 in fraudulent Social Security payments.

Now hold your breath waiting for re-payment on this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 06:50 am
That goes for Local & National Gov

"IT APPEARS that our government has forgotten who they work for."

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 10/18/13 - 06:52 am
Danger, danger I'm thinking again - Aren't most baby daddies

In jail? We pay for them and their babies. It's funny how the govt works. The baby daddy can't pay child support so they arrest them and put them in jail - Guess the govt needs those daddies in jail to justify their existence - seems like someone could figure this out - maybe the baby daddies? Maybe the mamas?

KSL
KSL 10/18/13 - 07:08 am
The government needs to stop

The government needs to stop supporting the mothers and their babies. Until the Great Society, welfare was cut off if a womxan got pregnant because that meant there was a man in the picture. Abortion was not legal and birth control was not that readily available. You get what you pay for.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/18/13 - 07:28 am
Debtors Prison

It used to be illegal in America to throw someone in jail over a debt. But under Obama all bets are off. We can't count on Constitutional protections any more.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/13 - 07:15 am
Something POSITIVE

I used to love the fair in Richmond county....I see it is coming now....some of us on the "south" side looked forward to the lights---fun--smell of hamburgers/onions--cotton candy & etc...the cool brisk weather just added to the charm....& the rides, & side shows too.

Kinda funny now that something so simple was an adventure to us.....now with the gadgets that kids have today, it probably is dullsville to them...good ole days to me though.♥

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/18/13 - 07:26 am
SeenIt's post at 7:47 - - -

Yeah, and the other inmates in that federal prison will teach the two North Augusta women (are they sisters or mother/daughter?) some more effective scams to try when they get out.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/18/13 - 07:31 am
CBBP

That is something I've advocated for a while. No money unless you finger the sperm donor. Prove it with DNA if he balks, and then hold him accountable. You may collect little to nothing since chances are high he is not gainfully employed; but the message will be there that you had better use protection or we will attach any traceable income you have for the next 18 years.