Rants & Raves

AFTER ATTENDING the recent Arts in the Heart festival, I can understand why the city of Augusta is classified as a slum. The streets were filthy, the stench was terrible, the sidewalks had not been cleaned in weeks, trash was everywhere, especially in the doorways of the many vacant storefronts, and the graffiti were embarrassing. Wake up, Augusta; you’re turning into another Detroit.

WHAT IS HAPPENING to Americans? This question resonates continuously in my mind. Here I am, doing my master’s degree but unable to gain employment because when an employer reviews my application, the focus is my felony, not what I have accomplished since or that it is 12 years old or that there is no other blemish in my criminal record. Is having a felony going to be a lifelong persecution?

NO ONE SHOULD be able to starve unless he is psychologically too troubled to reach for all the freebies around. Free breakfasts and lunches for kids! Several free soup kitchens. Free handouts of not only foods to eat but also clothes, shoes and other items. Thousands of items available at virtually no cost in Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. A great many giving folks who set up food and other giveaways right from their homes. But we still don’t need to send so much money and other items out of country until we help out here first.

HOW ON EARTH do people drive new automobiles, have cellphones and fine clothes and still get food stamps? I work full time and don’t get a thing but a tax bill to pay for food stamps. Something major wrong with that.

IT’S ABOUT TIME that those historic buildings at the Wrightsboro Road VAs are finally authorized for rehab to use for those homeless vets in town.

IT IS TIME OUR elected officials wake up and face the destruction they are doing to our country. You have to believe that both houses have no idea what they are doing – these people are playing with people’s lives and don’t seem to care.

HUGE RANT TO WRDW for advertising and listing the Jets game and then showing bull riding.

RANT TO WFXG. On Sunday afternoon, the fourth quarter just started in the Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles game. Next thing you know, we are watching the Dallas game.

IF AUGUSTA can be designated a slum, why doesn’t D.C. get honest and designate the U.S. Capitol and the White House slums?

countyman
countyman 10/10/13 - 06:37 pm
Arts in the Heart

Rant #1. The over 70,000 people who attended the event completely disagree with the rant. Why do people always bring up Detroit? The economy of Augusta was never linked to automakers. Everybody is definitely entitled to their personal opinions, but the Arts in the Heart was voted one of the top 20 events in the southeast.

Where is all this graffiti and how is the small amount you saw anymore embarrassing compared to the graffiti in Manhattan? What small to large city doesn't have some type of graffiti? I attended the event, and saw nobody complaining only having fun. Any large event held in the downtown of any city will have some trash left on the ground.

The funny thing is the vote for the oppurtunity zone didn't even happen yet, and they may just go ahead without using the word 'slum' like Columbia County did.

Downtown Augusta must look good enough, because of the amount of people who came out for the Arts in the Heart, ESI Ironman, 5k Color Run, Zombie Walk, Westobou, etc all recently. Keep in mind the Greek festival, and Hispanic festival are happening downtown this weekend.

fishman960
fishman960 10/10/13 - 06:18 pm
Eat Better Today

Regarding the food stamp benefits, it's simple. All you have to do is lie. That's what separates the ones that truly need the benefit (and there are legitimate poor people) and the ones that know how to manipulate the system.
And also the mandatory drug testing will never work because the frauds know how to beat that also!

countyman
countyman 10/10/13 - 06:49 pm
Private construction

Holiday Inn Express, maybe 400 new jobs, proposed Haytt Place hotel moving forward, GRU developments on the GGHF site, Riverwalk improvements, etc???

The growth in the CBD continues, and the former chamber of commerce building is involved. The city spend $100k, and $300k(Starbucks $200k & private sector $100k) came from the private sector.

The best thing about this decade is the growth all over the county. North Richmond, Summerville, Forest Hills, West Augusta, etc aren't the only places attracting new things. Developers are now looking more closely at the CBD, South Augusta, Harrisburg, Laney Walker, Olde Town, city limits of Hephzibah, Midtown, etc. New areas similar to Southwest Augusta are growing extremely fast, and creating their own identity.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/10/13 - 08:25 pm
Guy discussing his focus his felony vs education

1st it depends on the type of felony.
If you assaulted someone and with lawyers being what they are what employer can risk hiring you?

If you apply of a position where you manage $$$ or expensive inventory, but have felony for drugs, fraud, check kiting, etc... they can't bond you

If you are a Child sex offender?
As far as I am concerned go find a rock and crawl under it.

But if as you say you have a 12 year CLEAN record.
Apply with the courts to have it expunged.

Or contact the GA Pardons and Paroles board to have go over the process. http://pap.georgia.gov/contact-us

If successful with the expungement, afterwards you only have to reveal it to the Court system.

BUT what you are facing is the statistic that 68% of all convicted felony will be repeat offenders. The reason the number is so high is because they lump sex offenders into the percentages. Removing perverts from the statistic and the number drops to better than 50/50.

I wish I could quote numbers better number than whats in my head, but EVEN Though the FED pays for and runs its websites by the yearly contract. They are playing a game called Shutdown Hype right now.

Using http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/

redirects you to

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/10/13 - 08:26 pm
A Shutdown HYPE example.

trying using the DOJ http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/
website and you get redirected to

But edit it and type in the word "AVAILABLE"

and instead of being redirected to the "UNavailable" cover file
and you get access to the main page.

NOTE: You must have redirect turned off on your browser though.

HUMMMMMM !!!!!

Is this just another example of the shutdown HYPE game?????

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/10/13 - 08:16 pm
Best quote of the day

"If the government is really shutdown why am I still paying taxes?"

whyme
whyme 10/11/13 - 12:15 am
arts in the heart

I was at the festival on Friday and while I didn't notice much trash, I will say that there was a terrible smell near the Family stage. It smelled like sour milk and was difficult to breathe while attending some of the performances there. There were a number of trash cans nearby but we were also told that it was from a certain type of tree nearby. Either way, it was pretty bad and the number of people there agreed, thus reducing the # from 70,000 who didn't notice. Not a deal breaker to attend in the future.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/11/13 - 06:09 am
Sayonara America.

I leave you all with a C&P of my personal feelings!

A Black Reporter Summarizes Barack The below summarization of Barack and Michelle Obama’s 5 year reign in the White House is by far the best I’ve ever read as it squarely hits the nail on the head. And it took a black reporter writing it to make it as effective as it is. A white man’s account would be instantly criticized by the liberal media as pure racism. But, how can anyone scream Racist when an exacting description of the Obamas is penned by a well known journalist of color? BEST SUMMATION OF BARACK AND MICHELLE EVER! Mychal Massie is a respected writer and talk show host in Los Angeles. The other evening on my twitter, a person asked me why I didn't like the Obama's? Specifically I was asked: "I have to ask, why do you hate the Obama's? It seems personal, not policy related. You even dissed (disrespect) their Christmas family picture." The truth is I do not like the Obamas, what they represent, their ideology, and I certainly do not like his policies and legislation. I've made no secret of my contempt for the Obamas. As I responded to the person who asked me the aforementioned question, I don't like them because they are committed to the fundamental change of my/our country into what can only be regarded as a Communist state. I don't hate them per definition, but I condemn them because they are the worst kind of racialists, they are elitist Leninists with contempt for traditional America. They display disrespect for the sanctity of the office he holds, and for those who are willing to admit same, Michelle Obama's raw contempt for white America is transpicuous. I don't like them because they comport themselves as emperor and empress. I expect, no I demand respect, for the Office of President and a love of our country and her citizenry from the leader entrusted with the governance of same. President and Mrs. Reagan displayed an unparalleled love for the country and her people. The Reagan's made Americans feel good about themselves and about what we could accomplish. Obama's arrogance by appointing 32 leftist czars and constantly bypassing congress is impeachable. Eric Holder is probably the MOST incompetent and arrogant DOJ head to ever hold the job. Could you envision President Reagan instructing his Justice Department to act like jack-booted thugs? Presidents are politicians and all politicians are known and pretty much expected to manipulate the truth, if not outright lie, but even using that low standard, the Obama's have taken lies, dishonesty, deceit, mendacity, subterfuge and obfuscation to new depths. They are verbally abusive to the citizenry, and they display an animus for civility. I do not like them, because they both display bigotry overtly, as in the case of Harvard Professor Louis Gates, when he accused the Cambridge Police of acting stupidly, and her code speak pursuant to not being able to be proud of America. I view that statement and that mindset as an insult to those who died to provide a country where a Kenyan, his illegal alien relatives, and his alleged progeny, could come and not only live freely, but rise to the highest, most powerful, position in the world. Michelle Obama is free to hate and disparage whites because Americans of every description paid with their blood to ensure her right to do same. I have a saying, that "the only reason a person hides things, is because they have something to hide." No president in history has spent millions of dollars to keep his records and his past sealed. And what the two of them have shared has been proved to be lies. He lied about when and how they met, he lied about his mother's death and problems with insurance, Michelle lied to a crowd pursuant to nearly $500,000 bank stocks they inherited from his family. He has lied about his father's military service, about the civil rights movement, ad nausea. He lied to the world about the Supreme Court in a State of the Union address. He berated and publicly insulted a sitting Congressman. He has surrounded himself with the most rabidly, radical, socialist academicians today. He opposed rulings that protected women and children that even Planned Parenthood did not seek to support. He is openly hostile to business and aggressively hostile to Israel. His wife treats being the First Lady as her personal American Express Black Card (arguably the most prestigious credit card in the world). I condemn them because, as people are suffering, losing their homes, their jobs, their retirements, he and his family are arrogantly showing off their life of entitlement - as he goes about creating and fomenting class warfare. I don't like them, and I neither apologize nor retreat from my public condemnation of them and of his policies. We should condemn them for the disrespect they show our people, for his willful and unconstitutional actions pursuant to obeying the Constitutional parameters he is bound by, and his willful disregard for Congressional authority. Dislike for them has nothing to do with the color of their skin; it has everything to do with their behavior, attitudes, and policies. And I have open scorn for their constantly playing the race card. I could go on, but let me conclude with this. I condemn in the strongest possible terms the media for refusing to investigate them, as they did President Bush and President Clinton, and for refusing to label them for what they truly are. There is no scenario known to man, whereby a white president and his wife could ignore laws, flaunt their position, and lord over the people, as these two are permitted out of fear for their color. As I wrote in a syndicated column titled, "Nero In The White House" - "Never in my life, inside or outside of politics, have I witnessed such dishonesty in a political leader. He is the most mendacious political figure I have ever witnessed. Even by the low standards of his presidential predecessors, his narcissistic, contumacious arrogance is unequalled. Using Obama as the bar, Nero would have to be elevated to sainthood... Many in America wanted to be proud when the first person of color was elected president, but instead, they have been witness to a congenital liar, a woman who has been ashamed of America her entire life, failed policies, intimidation, and a commonality hitherto not witnessed in political leaders. He and his wife view their life at our expense as an entitlement - while America's people go homeless, hungry and unemployed."

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/11/13 - 07:20 am
Rant about gov. shut-down

"IT IS TIME OUR elected officials wake up and face the destruction they are doing to our country. You have to believe that both houses have no idea what they are doing – these people are playing with people’s lives and don’t seem to care"

SO REFRESHING to see a rant that blames BOTH sides of the gov.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/11/13 - 07:24 am
Rant about free eats

"NO ONE SHOULD be able to starve unless he is psychologically too troubled to reach for all the freebies around. Free breakfasts and lunches for kids! Several free soup kitchens"

THIS IS SO TRUE!! I am usually "hard" on these programs, BUT for people who really need them, THERE IS TRULY no reason for people to go hungry!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/11/13 - 08:26 am
Bulloney CM

"Any large event held in the downtown of any city will have some trash left on the ground."

They aren't talking about trash after the event started. The conditions they describe have been a constant downtown for as long as I can remember; and my chief gripe. Broken sidewalks, cigarette butts, 50 years of chewing gum, leaf litter, etc. It gives it a rundown look. Downtown should sparkle, not look like the 50's.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/11/13 - 08:41 am
Having just read the following headline

"GOP to strike back at the tea party in Next Election"

If the GOP is scared of Fiscal responsibility and wants to spend its way into power. If they decide to become mimics of the DNC, that is to say, Spend, spend, vs. fiscally conservative.

Then I predict the TEA party proposed candidates will win larger number of seats in next congressional election. The TEA PARTY is posed to unseat the Old GOP Guard, that has strayed from Reagan values.

It would do The Old GOP Guard well to remember, the TEA PARTY in the last election won 32+ of the congressional seats that the GOP counts on for support.

BTW:
The words spoken on Nov 5th, 2010 by Brendan Steinhauser, director of federal and state campaigns for FreedomWorks, a National Tea Party organizer sum it up. He said:

"If Republicans follow their own platform, they will be fine," he said, referring to small government, low taxes and limited federal spending."The minute they put appropriators back in charge, look for us to discipline them.

Look for the Tea Party movement to say this is not what we signed up for."

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/11/13 - 08:41 am
Outstanding CG!!

That piece sums the Obamas up very well, and mirrors how the majority who oppose them feel. It has NOTHING to do with his color and everything to do with policy, attitude, and behavior. The "racist" dog just won't hunt, but IS convenient cover for the blind sycophants.

clayhill
clayhill 10/11/13 - 09:21 am
ENTITLEMENTS

Just drive through a government assisted housing sector, and you won't believe the nice vehicles parked there. The residents also get many other entitlements to make them equal to the hard working people who pays their taxes so the takers don't have to work. These people are not entitled to anything. Get a job!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/13 - 09:27 am
You have a problem..

Even if just a few see it this way...

"I can understand why the city of Augusta is classified as a slum. The streets were filthy, the stench was terrible, the sidewalks had not been cleaned in weeks, trash was everywhere, especially in the doorways of the many vacant storefronts, and the graffiti were embarrassing"

Clean up crews are needed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/13 - 09:37 am
To this...

A lie---a lie a lie .....tell me a lie...

Some can do it with a smile..

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/11/13 - 10:02 am
SIB4

Why I miss the mountains

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/11/13 - 10:03 am
"I work full time and don’t

"I work full time and don’t get a thing but a tax bill to pay for food stamps. Something major wrong with that."

We are down to only two kinds of Americans. Government tax slaves and government welfare slaves.

I think it is time for EVERY WORKING, TAX PAYING CITIZEN to quit their jobs and get on the government teat. Go for the full monty.....food stamps, welfare, Section 8, subsidized Obamacare, Obamaphones.....get it all. Break the system. Bring it down. It's time.

It is apparently illegal to advocate a violent revolution but there is nothing illegal about advocating an economic revolution. Living on the government teat is the lifestyle of the future. You might as well get you kids used to it now. The "other side" has been training their offspring to live this way about 5 decades now. Join them. Overwhelm the "system". Even if you don't think you are eligible, apply anyway. Clog up the application process. Keep shedding your income until you ARE eligible. And disability.......everyone should go down and file for disability too. Their are plenty of shyster doctors that will give you a qualifying diagnosis. They are apparently handing it out like M&Ms.

Bring it down. Break the bank. The object is socialism so let's give it to them in a way they did not expect. Let's see how the Socialist divvy up equal shares of NOTHING.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/13 - 10:07 am
nocnoc

That is beautiful at 1002am...I love that scene too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/13 - 10:10 am
Stay healthy..really gonna need to.

As much as possible you will need to stay healthy....you won't see the same care in the future....even oldie Warren Buffet sees the writing on the wall...

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/13 - 10:15 am
Truckers are doing their part

They are making a point....I would like to see DC covered with trucks of all shapes--sizes...no way for congress to leave the place....now that would be interesting..:)

seeya later

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/11/13 - 10:16 am
Rant #2

Merle Haggard wrote Branded Man to address a released prisoner's dilemma. Here are the lyrics to the second verse:

If I live to be a hundred, I guess I’ll never clear my name;
’Cause everybody knows I’ve been in jail.
No matter where I’m living, I’ve got to tell ’em where I’ve been;
Or they’ll send me back to prison if I fail.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/11/13 - 10:22 am
More Countyman Speak

“. . . GRU developments on the GGHF site . . . The growth in the CBD continues.”

I haven't noticed any developments on that site yet. What are you talking about, Countyman?

countyman
countyman 10/11/13 - 11:10 am
Itsanotherday... How do you

Itsanotherday... How do you know their talking about the conditions before the event. I live downtown, and don't see any large amount of trash. T Splost will repair the cosmetics on Broad street.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/11/13 - 11:15 am
Recess

SeenitB4 posted:

. . . I would like to see DC covered with trucks of all shapes--sizes. . . no way for congress to leave the place. . . .

As for me, I would like to see Congress adjourn for the Columbus Day holiday and stay home for a month. The country does better when Congress is not in session.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/11/13 - 01:46 pm
2 ways to look at things?

John Cash - The Old Flag.

all it took was America to elect a person, not on savy political skills, but on his outward appearance race.

A person with openly Socialist parents, educators and friends while he was growing up.,

A person who does not deny he aligned and associated himself with 60's and 70's Radicals.

Radical People that stated killing 25 millions Americans is what it would take to get America on the right path in their idea.

Now the flag can't fly because, of a shutdown, that he has made clear ....because as he said .......Our Way OR NO Way.

It seem he could careless about America, it is about winning and CHANGING AMERICA politically to his kind.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/11/13 - 02:19 pm
nocnoc @ 1:46

"all it took was America to elect a person, not on savy political skills, but on his outward appearance race"

REALLY, do you believe that is fair?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/11/13 - 02:50 pm
Commenter's Commentary

There is a lot of anger about the departed soldiers' families not getting their rightfull death benefits. I am angry, BUT I don't see how this can be blamed on ANYTHING but the gov. shut-down. BOTH parties are to blame for the shut-down and the neglect to give out these benefits are because of the shut-down, PERIOD!! There is a lot of anger about the mall and national parks being closed. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that part of the normal shut-down proceedures? As for closing the mall and all of the monuments in Washington, DC, I believe that is totally un-necessary! The Lincoln Memorial was defaced during normal "business" times open for ALL to visit. If The Lincoln Memorial was defaced during this time, then why on Earth close the mall and monuments to the public? People are blaming President Obama; directly; for this mall closier. If these people are correct, then; again; I say it is ALL due to the shut-down! I believe the end of the shut-down will come when The Dems. cave a lot; as usual; and The Repubs. cave a little! Then all that will be left is, if they have an ounze of responsibilty to The American public, they will at least answer as to what the hurt accomplished. As for the reason we have been told for the shut-down, Obamacare, the country is terribly divided on this issue as well!! I look forward to Obamacare because it is supposed to provide "affordable" health insurance to tens of millions of AMERICAN CITIZENS, you remember, OUR FELLOW MAN!! Doesn't it say something in The Bible about this??!! The down side, that I do agree with my opponent conservatives, is the tremendous cost factor the will most surely come with Obamacare. How can it not come with this tremendous cost factor? I have looked at the Obamacare website and I was able to get completely through the personall and financial data part of the application. With even the 60% / 40% plan, the government is going to have to "shell out" lots of money to very low income families!! YES, as an Obamacare supporter, I even have to see this tremendous "down side" of the financial cost to the national budget! To sum it up, Obamacare is the law, so we all may-as-well accept it for better or worse!

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/13 - 03:05 pm
YES, having a felony

YES, having a felony conviction is a life-long sentence. Didn't your parents teach you that? I have no patience with people that commit crimes and then whine that nobody wants to hire them afterwards. Hey, you THINK??? This is why committing crimes is a very bad idea and stays with you forever!