Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IT WAS REPORTED that GRU was considering remodeling the King and Sibley mills for student housing purposes. Has anyone asked the owners about the asbestos and lead paint content in the buildings? This cleanup could cost in the millions.

THE CITY OF Hephzibah wants to build a charter school. That’s cool. On Windsor Springs Road in the city of Hephzibah, commissioners purchased the old elementary school. But why? It is a safety hazard, overgrown with weeds and brush, varmints of every kind. Where are zoning enforcement, fire inspectors and the Georgia Environmental Protection Division? Oh, that’s right; it’s time to reopen the haunted house for Halloween.

I LOOKED THROUGH all three days of the Spotted photos for Arts in the Heart trying to find pictures of the actual event. Ninety-five percent of the photos are of patrons cheesing for the camera. Please find some photographers who are interested in taking pictures of event happenings and not just cute girls in tank tops with tattoos.

RANT TO ALL “app” programmers. Why is it that most new apps are only for Apple iPhones? Because iTunes charges for each download?

PRESIDENT OBAMA is willing to negotiate with North Korea, China, Russia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, the Palestinians, Hamas, the Taliban, al-Qaida, the Muslim Brotherhood and just about any other communist, socialist or terrorist group. But he is not willing to negotiate with the Republicans.

IT TOOK ONLY days for the FBI to be able to investigate the terrorist attack on the mall in Kenya but weeks to be able to investigate the terrorist attack on the U.S. Embassy in Libya. I wonder why? Maybe our embassy and staff aren’t that important.

AFTER 42 YEARS with an insurance company, my insurance was dropped because we didn’t get minor repairs done according to their time schedule.

I FIND IT interesting that many historical documents are not subjected to the same critique as the Holy Bible. When was the last time Plato’s Republic, Caesar’s History of the Gallic War, Homer’s Iliad or Odyssey, or even the writings of the world’s various religions scrutinized and criticized as much as God’s Word?

Riverman1
81925
Riverman1 10/04/13 - 07:32 pm
Harry Reid vs. Ted Cruz

One thing this shutdown is doing is putting Harry Reid and Harvard grad, easy talking, Ted Cruz on the news channels a lot. The comparison between the two is stark. What I would give to see the two debate funding Obamacare. Reid needs Aricept. 70 year old Nancy Pelsoi needs counseling about frequent flying with Munchhausen syndrome and plastic surgery.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 10/04/13 - 07:27 pm
I disagree with you RM...

...Harry is not stupid, he's evil...
And for the record, he has the lowest approval record of ANY sitting U.S.Senator....It's even lower than "Our Dear Rulers"..

Riverman1
81925
Riverman1 10/04/13 - 07:33 pm
I'll defer to you,

I'll defer to you, Conservative Man. You are probably more accurate than I am.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/04/13 - 07:56 pm
Rant #9

Heck, I'd be happy if those that love critiquing the Bible, would just apply a little scrutiny to some of their beloved government programs! You know, silly little things like actual results and such.

Riverman1
81925
Riverman1 10/04/13 - 08:03 pm
About Recanting Sexual Abuse

It’s apparent from various studies that a percentage of those who have actually been sexually abused will later recant earlier testimony even though the original testimony was accurate. The reasons for the false recantations are many, but center on pressure on the person who has been sexually abused. The pressures can be fear, money and family influence. Those particularly apt to recant their testimony are family members.

Judges when confronted with those who recant their charges have a difficult task of deciding the truth. There are cases of those who have been convicted being released due to victims falsely recanting their charges and those cleared later raping again.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/04/13 - 08:21 pm
Riverman1, I don't envy those

Riverman1,

I don't envy those in a position of trying to determine the truth of the matter.

Those that know much more about this case than I are convinced of his guilt. So I'll defer. But I would hate to think of someone sitting in jail, due to testimony that had been recanted. Unless it could be proven the recant was false.

Riverman1
81925
Riverman1 10/04/13 - 08:25 pm
Fred, sure it's tough for the

Fred, sure it's tough for the judge. Past behavior of the convicted would mean a lot, it seems.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/04/13 - 08:38 pm
"Past behavior of the

"Past behavior of the convicted would mean a lot, it seems."

As it should, depending on the nature of that past behavior.

Darby
Darby 10/04/13 - 09:53 pm
"But he is not willing to negotiate with the Republicans."

Or, worded slightly differently,

He is not willing to negotiate or even entertain the prospect of negotiating with the representatives of approximately 50 percent of the American people.

KSL
KSL 10/05/13 - 01:19 am
I am trying to understand the

I am trying to understand the first rant.

KSL
KSL 10/05/13 - 01:23 am
I am trying to understand the

I am trying to understand the first rant.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/05/13 - 02:00 am
Understanding rant#1 It seems

Understanding rant#1

It seems the ranter believes people who support the constitution are not happy with one gun, but need 100.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the 31 I have! At the same time, if I want another 69, it is none of his business. America is like that, the constitution is like that.

It's simply amazing that some wish us to become like Cuba, Russia, or China. Why not simply move there, if that's what you believe?

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/05/13 - 02:47 am
Sooo... We're going to hit

Sooo... We're going to hit the Fort Gordon thingy today. It's kind of a annual thing for us. We always have a good time.

SB3
SB3 10/05/13 - 03:36 am
First rant

Actually, what they're trying to say is that the only reason for someone to oppose regulation would be that they are a bad person who would not be allowed to have a gun. It's like saying that the only reason to oppose President Obama is because you are racist. It's a false choice fallacy. It ignores other possible rationales for your choice and attributes you with some shameful motivation instead.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/05/13 - 04:18 am
"false choice fallacy" Yep

"false choice fallacy"

Yep you nailed it SB3!

It is a false choice.

I was recently talking current events with my eleven-year-old. he was asking questions about "how can they do that?"

I told him that some people forget they represent and begin to believe they are royalty or dictators.

He said "get rid of the "tators"!

Now if he's mother were present, I would have chewed him out 13 ways to Friday, She wasn't, so I acknowleded his deep and quick quip, and let him slide.

There is hope!

Riverman1
81925
Riverman1 10/05/13 - 04:56 am
Another Problem With Renovating Mills for Students

There are not enough students. The former ASU is actually losing students. The health science portion is only projected to gain a few hundred students over the coming years. The wise tactic would be to improve ASU and increase the number of applicants before building hoping they will come. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/05/13 - 05:05 am
Obama says the “fringe”is to

Obama says the “fringe”is to blame
all the while making “nice” to the worst examples
MSNBC says Tea is unrealistic
while Pelosi passes a law that's never been read
tea takes a stand
tea stands tall and says look at our prez
Who is fuming and hawing, and sputtering
He says I wish to compromise
and some peeps believe
but his words and actions cannot be reconciled
some stand tall and are ravished
but care they not, right is right
and wrong is wrong
throw us down and we come back strong

Many know, but do not
history is their bane but yet they think better
little things like results
they ignore

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/05/13 - 05:26 am
Rant#7 Yep, something doesn't

Rant#7

Yep, something doesn't pass the “smell” test,

Riverman1
81925
Riverman1 10/05/13 - 05:27 am
False Choices

SB3 points out the fallacy of the regulating guns rant. I'll add...

Why should the Second Amendment be protected, you ask? Why, would you be one of the socialists seeking to overthrow the Constitution?

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/05/13 - 08:51 am
To the person that asked.

"WHY DO GUNS have to be regulated, you ask?

My Opinion is on Concealed Carry (CC).

If a person is allowed to purchase Firearms, there should be NO Requirement for a CC Permit. I feel it should be included as part of the Gun Ownership Rights.

All the permit does is run the same background checks, and put your name in another national database. So why charge the additional $85 to $500 that some states charge and why bother collecting the additional data?

A criminal surely will not bother with the red tape.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/05/13 - 08:57 am
CITY OF Hephzibah purchases OLD School.

You do understand things can be thorn down and rebuilt?
The land and location is the issue.

Maybe you just have a problem with the CITY OF Hephzibah providing their citizen's students a better education with stricter disciple and standards.

After it is built it will not take long for the scores to prove this 1 way or the other. Of Course the RCBOE might get spiteful and refuse to sell the falling down piece of junk just to keep the CITY OF Hephzibah from proving that a good education is not beyond reason.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/05/13 - 09:20 am
HA's rant??

"WHY DO GUNS have to be regulated, you ask? Why, would you be one of the people who need to be barred from having one or a hundred?"

Did HA send this one in?? I really can't tell if it is pro or con about guns. I guess being a nut case three times over, I probably won't be allow to handle a gun with a ten foot pole!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/05/13 - 09:23 am
Ted Cruz

Sorry folks but I'm NOT in love with Cruz....he is another wannabe a big shot politician .....tv time & nose in the news....I'm waiting for him to get on the wrecking ball with Miley at any moment!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/05/13 - 09:28 am
The Shark Tank

If you want to watch something interesting on tv...watch this program...they are brutal with their comments sometimes, but it is exactly what the people need to hear.....they sorta remind me of some characters on here with their advice & wisdom.
Brutal--to the point & ruthless.

Yall know who you are!! :)

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/05/13 - 09:29 am
Rant about Obama's communication

"PRESIDENT OBAMA is willing to negotiate with North Korea, China, Russia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, the Palestinians, Hamas, the Taliban, al-Qaida, the Muslim Brotherhood and just about any other communist, socialist or terrorist group. But he is not willing to negotiate with the Republicans"

This does bring up a very good point, BUT we all know why Obama and The Senate are not talking to The House.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/05/13 - 09:30 am
A great idea for Hephzibah

"THE CITY OF Hephzibah wants to build a charter school"

Let it happen....don't be so negative about this.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/05/13 - 09:44 am
Gun control

We all agree that Obamacare is not liked by a majority of voters, BUT it is coming anyway. I personally believe the majority of voters DO WANT gun control, so do y'all forsee a day when this majority will lose their wants about gun control?? I mean it is happening with Obamacare!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/05/13 - 10:09 am
Let me see if I have this

Let me see if I have this right... it's all the Republicans fault that the government is shut down. This is despite 11 bills sent from the house to the senate that would keep the government open?!?!?!

The Emperor says daily that the Republicans won't negotiate while in the same sentence says that this or that issue isn't negotiable????

So its OK for progressives to refuse to negotiate but not for conservatives. Am I understanding this correctly?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/05/13 - 10:18 am
Gun control is hitting what

Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/05/13 - 11:05 am
Storm named Karen

The storm is on the way & if it is anything like KSM we are in for a heap of trouble...sooo, I will have to batten down the hatches & store goods ....toilet paper & such, yaknow. heheh

She is still her feisty self in case yall wondered....we see her in places yall don't dare to venture..:)