Rants & Raves

THE POTENTIAL FEDERAL shutdown and President Obama’s warning of “economic chaos” highlight both parties’ standard action concerning establishing the federal budget. Since the start of the fiscal year was changed, Congress and our leaders have relied on this tactic. Their continued reluctance to find common ground for the betterment of this country had resulted in closure of federal offices, loss of jobs, higher taxes and a damaged economy.

RANT FOR ALL you parents at Martinez Elementary School; you are turning left, and it says no left turn. You are an accident waiting to happen. Please try to protect our children.

BIG RAVE TO the staff of the North Augusta Recreation Department, the North Augusta Police and the nurse on duty at 11 a.m. Sept. 10. My wife had a seizure while working out, and they did everything in a very professional way. They make North Augusta a great place to be.

DOES ONE LOSE all common sense by joining the Democrat Party, or does one join the Democrat Party because he has no common sense to start with?

SUPER RAVES FOR Brian Crane, the writer/illustrator for the comic strip Pickles. This is, without a doubt, the funniest strip I have ever followed. Hats off to this man who keeps us laughing at the beginning of each day.

WHO CARES WHICH federal bozo started giving out free phones and other goodies? The point is, this present administration could stop this abysmal practice, which just enables moochers to continue their mooching ways, but they don’t. It’s funny how this administration has no trouble doing away with previous administration rules and regulations, but this particular one they won’t touch with a 40-foot handle. All to get more votes in 2016. Sickening.

SENTINEL OFFENDER Services was found guilty by our courts. Hurray for Jack Long, attorney, for taking them on in our legal system. Sentinel took advantage of those trying to rise above their legal problems, which is like putting a foot on someone’s back when they are already down, and yet Richmond County renewed their contract. Something is really wrong with this picture.

ALL THE AMERICAN people do is watch baseball and football. They haven’t got their heads screwed on. We need to get rid of what’s in Washington, D.C.

KSL
KSL 10/01/13 - 12:06 pm
bledsoe

WRONG!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 12:28 pm
To KSL

"I find IT AMAZING, and screary, that the 2nd Amendment has been twisted so badly from its intent!! Read my lips, "THE MILITIA IS THE ARMED FORCES, PERIOD!!""

I THOUGHT you and HA were convinced that my "INDOCTRINATION" was going SOOO WELL!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/01/13 - 12:29 pm
"WHO CARES WHICH federal bozo

"WHO CARES WHICH federal bozo started giving out free phones and other goodies?"

Keep in mind, like all other social programs, this started with good intentions. It was to provide BASIC LAND LINE SERVICE to those who could not afford it, or had no service in their rural geography. A noble cause considering the poor and elderly who may need emergency services.

The ranter is spot on though about what this monster has evolved into. Cut the head off this snake and do it now.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/01/13 - 01:00 pm
"I FEEL LIKE I am in an

"I FEEL LIKE I am in an Alfred Hitchcook movie!! HOW MANY of you gun lovers are out there in cyber-land??!!"

Let me guess which one...
Too many to choose from, let me pick the top 3 I would guess you "feel" like you're in.
The Birds
Psycho
Vertigo

"The Birds" would be my top guess, with Vertigo close behind.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/01/13 - 01:00 pm
"THAT'S REALLY not fair. Most

"THAT'S REALLY not fair. Most of the news media, including The AC, warned that there would be early glitches. GIVE IT A CHANCE, which you may-as-well, "It's the law!!""

Let's see...a massive government "take-over" program. Only a dunder-head would believe there wouldn't be, and continue to be "glitches".

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/01/13 - 01:39 pm
Monkee Butt Powder

Someone on here is straddling the fence so much they may need some of that!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/01/13 - 01:42 pm
Militia

The Militia, as referred to, is all citizens of the United States of America. At that time, there were no Armed Forces and that was what was called for. That may be called for again, no one knows what the future holds.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/01/13 - 01:45 pm
Glitches,

Those of you in favor of Obamacare, get online and find out what it would cost you. Then report back, honestly. Some of you who have insurance through your employer may find yourselves without insurance and going that way.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/01/13 - 01:58 pm
The Birds would have been a

The Birds would have been a short-lived movie if it happened to the Duck Dynasty dudes. Bring out their arsenal of shotguns, then feathers and carnage and finally wrapped bird in bacon on the grill. Vertigo reminds me Nancy Pelosi because she is so dingy as she spins everything in her vertigo rhetoric-we have to pass the law to actually find what's in it. Good golly that deserves some time in the corner with a dunce cap on.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/01/13 - 02:02 pm
"Gun lovers" you mean lovers

"Gun lovers" you mean lovers of the Constitution who recognize the right of Americans to bear arms that can't be infringed? They are patriotic aren't they-unlike those who hate the constitution and freedom-likely they are against gay marriage and religious freedom too. Just freedom haters.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/01/13 - 02:04 pm
It doesn't make a crap how

It doesn't make a crap how you interpret it. The SCOTUS is the final word, just like with Obamacare, and they ruled it is the iindividual right to arms.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/01/13 - 02:06 pm
Actually most private efforts

Actually most private efforts have way fewer glitches and more efficiency with less costs than govt efforts. Few business would still be in business with such major glitches-lots of software problems.

harley_52
harley_52 10/01/13 - 02:38 pm
Riverman....On Gun Shows....

This is my experience.

If you can find a good used gun at a reasonable price, you're just lucky. Most of the gun dealers bring their junk to these sales and they want top dollar for it. If you're lucky, you can find a private citizen who has rented a table and he might have a good gun at a reasonable price. Again, you have to be careful at these shows because there are usually a bunch of experienced dealers hoping to prey on the inexperienced buyers.

As for background checks....If you buy from a dealer (a Federal Firearms Licensee) they will require you to complete a "background check" form for the purchase. If you buy from a private citizen (non FFL holder) you won't have to complete a "background check" form, but you'll want to make sure you get a good bill of sale from the seller identifying him, you, and the gun very carefully.

I put the term "background check" in quotation marks because it really isn't a background check. It's a form you fill out where you are supposed to "out" yourself if you're not eligible to buy a gun. Most people tell the truth, but I'm sure some lie and walk out the door with the gun of their choosing.

Of course none of what I've described relates to Gun Shows outside of Columbia County. I have never had the pleasure of attending a Gun Show in Columbia County. They are probably much more gentile and refined than those I've attended in the slummier parts of Georgia. Heck, they probably have breaks for tea and crumpets in Columbia County and have a violin player strolling among the crowd.

If you are looking for a gun, let me know what you're looking for. I'll point you in the right direction and may even have something for you myself. Of course it will have a Richmond County pedigree, so it may not be appealing to your tastes.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 02:41 pm
Alfred Hitchcook

If I had to meet most of you, EXCEPT AT THE GET-TOGETHER, I would probably be a lot sceared!! WOW....maybe my INDOCTRINATION isn't going so good after all!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 02:46 pm
harley_52 @ 2:38

"Most people tell the truth, but I'm sure some lie and walk out the door with the gun of their choosing"

AND THERE goes ALL of the gun controls to hell!!

harley_52
harley_52 10/01/13 - 02:59 pm
"AND THERE goes ALL of the gun controls to hell!!"

"Gun Control" in the sense used by liberals is a farce and a sham.

There are hundreds of millions of guns in the hands of private owners in America. The overwhelming and vast majority of them are treated with great respect, safety, and responsibility.

Criminals and potential criminals own guns too and/or can get them at the drop of a hat. That is a FACT of life. You can't change it and you can't wish it away.

The government needs to control those who would (and do) use guns illegally. They must be apprehended and punished severely. They aren't and they aren't.

Therein lies the problem.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/01/13 - 03:28 pm
38 special

I just bought a small 38 special..I wanted a s&w but they were out of them...took forever to fill forms & many men were there buying & looking (Academy Sports store)--they were also out of bullets for this gun....soo I'm thinking ....if you are in the mood to buy, ya better go ahead & do it..

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/01/13 - 03:34 pm
About guns in the USA

How many guns are registered in America?

That’s a seemingly obvious question without a straightforward answer. There’s no universal gun registry, and thus not a simple way to pin down the exact number of firearms in the U.S.

There are estimates, however. According to the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey – the leading source of international public information about firearms – the U.S. has the best-armed civilian population in the world, with an estimated 270 million total guns. That’s an average of 89 firearms for every 100 residents — far ahead of Yemen, which comes in second with about 55 firearms for every 100 people, or Switzerland, which is third with 46 guns for every 100 people.

There are certain types of firearms that do require registration in the United States: those subject to the National Firearms Act, including machine guns, shotguns and rifles with barrels shorter than 18 inches, and silencers.

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which handles that registration, there were more than 3.1 million National Firearms Act-registered weapons in the U.S. as of March 2012. That includes more than 488,000 machine guns and more than 2 million “destructive devices” such as grenades, which are also classified under the law.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/01/13 - 03:42 pm
Who

I just heard on the radio news that so many people are surfing the new health insurance exchange web sites that the sites are crashing. So many people are calling the exchange toll free telephone lines that they are experiencing lengthy delays.

Probably the ones who are crashing the exchanges are news reporters all writing the same "web sites are crashing and phone line waits are long" stories to run on tonight's six-thirty newscasts.

harley_52
harley_52 10/01/13 - 03:58 pm
"Who in their right mind would call or click on the first day?"

Evil citizens searching for information about Obamacare and how it might impact their lives.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 04:00 pm
I have to scratch my head

Not only do I feel like I am in an Alfred Hitchcook movie, BUT I feel like I might need to be locked up in a rubber room!! You all are who you are, AND I know that I choose to be on here conversing with you all. I do enjoy our conversations or I wouldn't keep coming back. And, IN NO WAY do I want to offend ANY OF YOU!! It's just I was raised around guns and was taught to respect the harm that they could cause, but I have a hard time with equating guns with the possibility of someday needing to fight our own government!! BUT like I said, "I don't want to offend anyone!!"

harley_52
harley_52 10/01/13 - 04:01 pm
"I just bought a small 38 special."

An excellent choice for a lady, or for anybody else for that matter. Mrs. Harley has made the same choice and I have one myself for the right occasions.

harley_52
harley_52 10/01/13 - 04:03 pm
"but I have a hard time with equating guns...

....with the possibility of someday needing to fight our own government!! "

Ask Angela to help you with a little history lesson on that particular issue.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 04:11 pm
LL @ 3:42

"Folks, the open enrollment period to sign up for private health insurance on these exchanges is six months long! Who in their right mind would call or click on the first day?"

LL, I like your stile!! Some one several weeks ago complimented me for my somewhat nieve honesty. I am not trying to offend you, it's just your stile reminds me of that compliment. You are not on here very often, so it seems to me. If you really like being on here, you should try to make it on here more often. Just saying.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 04:24 pm
harlet_52 @ 4:03

"Ask Angela to help you with a little history lesson on that particular issue"

You know Marley Matlin and her husband who was very instrumental in Clinton's election? I don't know how to explain it other than these two are married, BUT they couldn't be ANY FURTHER apart in their politics. OTHER THAN THE MARRIED PART, this is how I view Angela and me. I really don't think ANY ONE should view this statement as anything but complimentary to her!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/01/13 - 04:30 pm
Stile

Spell check won't catch that one:

stile : a step or set of steps for passing over a fence or wall

stile : one of the vertical members in a frame or panel into which the secondary members are fitted

harley_52
harley_52 10/01/13 - 04:54 pm
"OTHER THAN THE MARRIED PART....

....this is how I view Angela and me."

Very touching.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/01/13 - 05:02 pm
Harley..

Harley, thanks for the advice about getting a gun. But we don't have any tea sipping and crumpets in Columbia County. This is beer and fried fish... fins, bones and all, slapped between two pieces of bread country.

Here's my situation as far as handguns, I have a small .22 pistol now. I also have one that's a replica cowboy's and shoots .22 longs. The small .22 misfires now and then and I think I need something bigger. Of course the "cowboy" gun is way too big. As you probably do, too, I have lots of experience with a .45 from the Army. I spent lots of time on ranges with it. It's too bulky to carry around concealed if I do that. So you think a .38 is best? You said what I figured about gun shows being rip-offs for the lay public. I think I'll just go to Academy Sports like Seenit did and get one or two. Thanks.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/01/13 - 05:17 pm
Ahh River -

harley was just yanking your chain. He knows all Columbia county is not tea and crumpets, just 75%.

Just kidddding - I spent a few of my informative teen years in Columbia county, nothing but country-boy activities for us! Of course that was before the tea and crumpet crowd took over!

KSL
KSL 10/01/13 - 05:18 pm
bledsoe

Are you talking about Mary Matalin and James Carville?

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.