Rants & Raves

I THINK I WILL GO down to the slum area tomorrow and pay $2.04 for a cup of coffee.

JUST BECAUSE the newspaper printed it in black and white and your picture and charges are in the Jail Report makes you guilty. You have to prove you’re not guilty but you have already been convicted and tried in the local news media and Jail Report. Even if you know you are not guilty and cannot afford to buy a lawyer, the public defender’s office will not do their job to prove your innocence. They want you to plead guilty. Their job is done; they get paid regardless of your defense.

THE CARTOON Candorville is too left-wing political to be on the cartoon page, if not dropped entirely. Like Doonesbury it should be moved to the editorial page or the trash can!

IF OBAMA HAD A CITY it would look like Detroit or Augusta.

I DON’T GET where you think freeloaders will get it worse than Third World countries. As far as I can see, they get the best. They run to soup kitchens for free meals, they can get access to free clothing and foods and other giveaways at various places and some get free living quarters in local shelters. They have better clothes with no holes than I do, some even manage to beg
monies off of too-generous people and then
brag about having the cash to buy “goodies” they can’t find for free. That is way better than Third World.

RAVE FOR THE staff at the tag office on Lumpkin Road. They are indeed friendly and efficient. Even waiting in a long line, each customer was greeted with a cheerful smile and friendly, helpful demeanor.

WE THE PEOPLE of Augusta-Richmond County have spoken about the way our county government operates. We must make fundamental changes to the number of commissioners as well as the job description of the mayor. Though they all say they are concerned for Augusta, they are too concerned with their own districts instead of looking at the big picture. Though they say it is not, every issue comes down to black vs. white. Go color blind. Get back to the basics of honesty, integrity, respect, character and being thrifty. Scout Law would be a good guide.

PLEASE HELP TO END slavery. It is estimated that between 100,000 and 300,000 children are trafficked for sex each year in the United States. The average age is between the ages of 12 and 14. No market can survive without demand. If men stop buying it, human trafficking will end.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/30/13 - 02:18 pm
Combine

That's an interesting idea to combine two smaller parks into one larger one. Only it's kind of hard to slide real estate around like jigsaw puzzle pieces. The land tends to sit in the same place.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/13 - 02:37 pm
What is North Richmond?

There is no such animal except for in your mind....Let's talk about the money that Global Spectrum owes the Riverhawks...you think that's the way to do business? The Aiken Convocation center pulls in some nice concerts and I am sure the baseball stadium will too...it's a win win for the whole CSRA. My biggest complaint (which you seem to think new roads and fast food joints are the answer along with a bike trail or park) is the amount of tax dollars spent downtown were only about 1/4 of the population lives...a population that I might add pays nowhere near the amount of tax dollars as the rest of Augusta but seems to get the biggest amount spent. Don't give me the line about young professionals being attracted to the CBD. Without all those taxpayers in the rest of the county those young professionals wouldn't have a stroage shed to meet at downtown.

dawg0013
dawg0013 09/30/13 - 02:41 pm
Untapped Potential

Augusta could be doing alot better than it is as a city. Before decideing to retire here in 2009 we looked at other cities and choose this one. Having ben here before we knew which county we wanted to live in

Augusta has so much potential that isn't being tapped into. Richmond county needs to clean house, because the current commissioners are holding back the progression of the county. There is too much finger pointing and not enough action. You can ride just about anywhere in the county and see unkept streets as well as property. The only time it's maintained is when the Master's is coming.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 09/30/13 - 03:01 pm
What Is North Ricmond?....

.....There is no such animal except for in your mind."

Where would you say Martinez is situated?

When I look at a map, it looks like it's in "North Richmond" County.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/30/13 - 03:01 pm
"OR WAS IT just for the

"OR WAS IT just for the conservative commenters??!!"

Must not have been just for conservatives because I did not know about it either.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/30/13 - 03:02 pm
dawg

You've just summed it up very nicely! The progressive areas have Commissions or Councils that work together! The entrances to these areas are kept clean and maintained all the time and not used as an excuse for raising taxes. Augusta and the surrounding counties could use some strict code enforcement as well as litter and traffic enforcement. Industry and businesses look at this area year round, not just Master's Week and we should always have our best face out there!!

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/13 - 03:02 pm
That would be

Columbia County

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/30/13 - 03:08 pm
countyman.........2005 to

countyman.........2005 to 2010......WAS NOT 100% inflation rate on ANYTHING. And throw in the parking deck, Marriott kitchen, re-do and the HVAC, and the Management Contract.......and WE got SCREWED. Everyone involved should, at a minimum, go down for a felony count of Theft By Deception.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/30/13 - 03:20 pm
seenitB4 @ 8:49

"My daughter got married in the Bahamas.....right by the ocean...out of this world .........then after the wedding & after many drinks --some of the guys showed their fannys in the moonlight & I mean they really did show them!!!

What a night to remember.:)"

Have you been drinking the kool-aid?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/30/13 - 03:26 pm
LL @ 2:18

"That's an interesting idea to combine two smaller parks into one larger one. Only it's kind of hard to slide real estate around like jigsaw puzzle pieces. The land tends to sit in the same place"

It's refreshing to see that some commenters DO HAVE a sence of humor!! Way to go LL!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/30/13 - 03:32 pm
dichotomy @ 3:01

"Must not have been just for conservatives because I did not know about it either"

MAYBE we will be invited next time!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/30/13 - 03:34 pm
Buckhead Waffle House

STINKING CROOKS...This is actually a nice section of town....we have idiots all over the place.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/30/13 - 03:38 pm
Fascinated with our names lol

Ctyman are you fascinated with the names riverman & seenit...many on here post to you but ours seem to stick withya for some reason...
whatever..
We have a great park system here...and a great civic center....we have some names that yall don't get in Augusta btw....pretty safe area too, clean & well landscaped.....if you were on Sugarloaf you were very close to me...I live within a few miles of the civic center at Sugarloaf...
what were you looking for....getting ideas maybe??

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/30/13 - 03:41 pm
No kool aide

The real deal --like vodka my friend...looking at the ocean from a niiice pool with great looking folks in it! Some nekkid..:):)

LIke 25 year ole guys...one was a body builder....I'll never forget HIM!!

harley_52
22064
harley_52 09/30/13 - 03:46 pm
Here's A Map Of Richmond County...

...looks like North Richmond County is immediately south of Martinez.

KSL
120768
KSL 09/30/13 - 03:47 pm
Guess how I knew about Sat.

Guess how I knew about Sat. By reading R&R. Over a month ago CBBP asked for suggestions on dates. Multiple posts followed. Last week he posted the time and place twice, including a confirmation on Sat.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 09/30/13 - 03:54 pm
Hey Sean...

...if you're watching...

That was a great tip about where to park in order to watch the Ironman 70.3. We parked at the Parking Garage on Reynolds street and were able to watch just outside as the runners completed mile six and mile twelve of the run and a short, easy walk to the finish line. Perfect spot. Thanks for the tip.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/30/13 - 04:15 pm
Post in code

Well now....we do post in code on here....only a few know that code....coldbeer knows it...tricky to learn too! :)

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/30/13 - 04:16 pm
@ Harley 3:54

I'm glad I could help. Let me know if you need anything else.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/30/13 - 04:59 pm
North Richmond County?

Harley, I'm not sure I get this, but what else is new. As far as most of us know there is not an area known as North Richmond County that's ever been used by the newspaper or other media. The area you are referring to with your links is known as West Augusta...right? Of course you are right that the area south of Martinez is actually in north Richmond County, but I believe media sources don't easily relabel an area without a consensus among them. If Countyman and you want to call it North Richmond, I suppose that's up to y'all. Would anyone know what I meant if I called Augusta, South North Augusta?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/13 - 05:12 pm
Of course north Richmond is on a map

But it has never been an official designation.It's something he made up in his head to try and justify why more money should go to the CBD...I know you like to defend him but agreeing with made up stuff is ridiculous.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 09/30/13 - 05:36 pm
I Don't Care What You Call It, Riverman...

...I was surprised to hear that there was "no such animal" as "North Richmond County," so I found it.

If you choose to call "North Richmond County" "West Richmond County" it's fine with me.

countyman
19038
countyman 09/30/13 - 05:41 pm
North Richmond

The Martinez address can be used in both counties. North Richmond is mostly everything north of Riverwatch Pkwy..

The Village at Riverwatch, and the land at the Riverwatch/Furys Ferry intersection should become the two vibrant live, work, and play areas in North Richmond. Semi urban mixed-use developments can make sure people utilize all of the available space in the zoned area, and stop the sprawl from continuing into surrounding protected farmlands, green space, etc..

The Village at Furys Ferry(Riverwatch/Furys Ferry) would be reality in 2013, but the recession killed the idea.

The city of Augusta built a new library, judicial center, and TEE center downtown. All three were approved by local voters, and should have been completed years ago. Even small towns have built new libraries across the US.

The $20 million magnet high school, millions for Diamond Lakes, $3-4 million lake near Regency Mall, $1 million Marshals office, Mike Padgett hwy precinct, etc are South Augusta tax payer improvements. New roads do improve the quality of life, and I bet the residents of South Augusta will be very happy over the next few years. The I-520 improvements, Windsor Spring, Mike Padgett, etc all will have finished construction.

Diamond Lakes is definitely not the ordinary park, and the Bulter Creek Greenway will connect Fort Gordon, Phinizy Swamp, Butler Creek Trailhead Park, Lombard Pond Trail, etc.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/30/13 - 05:39 pm
Ribi

Ribishibitz whooma canutin widget tikki tikki yowwow! Seenit, you got that?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/30/13 - 05:42 pm
Riverwatch Parkway!

Why is it called Riverwatch when you can't even see the river? A little judicious pruning and underbrush clearing could improve that view! I wonder if coastal towns have a Beachfront Drive with no view of the beach or a Lakeview Drive without a view of the lake! Oh well, maybe we can rename the 500 blk of Green St. Moron Place!!!!!

harley_52
22064
harley_52 09/30/13 - 05:43 pm
"I know you like to defend him...

....but agreeing with made up stuff is ridiculous."

This is hysterical.

I don't "like to defend him." What I do is observe that he is wildly attacked around here for offering information about future plans for Augusta. I see these plans addressed in no other venue. I appreciate the information even if some of it never pans out. I have no clue why he is attacked and insulted so roundly, but he is.

And I don't "defend him." He doesn't need my defense. I have the same right to express my opinion around here as does everybody else and I see zero value in constantly badmouthing Augusta and badmouthing anybody who has anything positive to say about Augusta.

I realize that puts me in the minority in here, but hey....I can live with the horror of it all.

KSL
120768
KSL 09/30/13 - 05:48 pm
Maybe if he did not repeat

Maybe if he did not repeat himself so much.......

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/30/13 - 05:49 pm
Since you asked, Countyman

The Countyman thing that gets me is his constant declarations that the taxpayers of Richmond County are not paying for the Laney-Walker initiative because hotel guests are paying the hotel tax for the funding. Well, actually, I kind of like it because it shows his total misunderstanding of taxpayer rights, but let’s go over this. Does he not get that government money belongs to the people of the county through its government? Could the sales tax and business tax that non residents pay also be declared such? Are we at that much of a divide? Does he assume that money can be spent anyway without regards to the wishes of the citizens?

In my opinion, the hotel tax should stay in the area where it’s generated. West Augusta would come out far ahead if that were the case. After all the Master’s is in West Augusta and most of the hotels are there. It’s a Grand Canyon divide of reasoning with anyone who says the hotel tax is not the money of the people of Richmond County.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/30/13 - 05:57 pm
De Plane Boss, De Plane!!!

De Plane Boss, De Plane!!!

harley_52
22064
harley_52 09/30/13 - 05:59 pm
All Hat, No Cows....

Earlier today I offered a suggestion for consideration by all those who feel Richmond County voters have had their taxes "stolen" by the construction of the Tee Center or, for that matter, any other ARC improvement project paid for by Richmond County tax payers.

Here it is again....DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Whining accomplishes very little

Find an HONEST attorney, pay him/her to examine the facts, examine the law, and determine if there exists a legal action against the ARC government, the Mayor, the City Manager, the Commission, or any/all of them. Hell, I'll even chip in.

KSL says "maybe if he did not repeat himself so much." I say, he HAS TO keep repeating himself because he's constantly dealing with the same whining, the same insults, and the same complaints from the same commentors day after day, after day, after day, after day.