SC hotel tells bishop to leave

Thursday, Sept. 26, 2013 10:23 AM
Last updated 7:41 PM

CHARLESTON, S.C. — The bishop of South Carolina’s largest black religious denomination says he was told to vacate his Charleston hotel room late at night because it was promised to someone else.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reports the Rt. Rev. Richard Franklin Norris was upset and so was Mayor Joe Riley, who stopped by a conference Norris was attending Wednesday to apologize.

Norris is Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina and says he was told by a hotel staffer late Tuesday to vacate his room where he had stayed several days and had booked through the weekend.

Charleston Courtyard Marriott manager Beryl Rice says Norris’ is wrong. The hotel would never ask someone to move in the middle of the night.

Young Fred
Young Fred 09/26/13 - 10:54 am
Sounds like somebody got into

Sounds like somebody got into the ceremonial wine.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/26/13 - 11:35 am
Mayor

So there is an accusation and a denial. But somehow the Mayor of Charleston can divine which one is correct.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/26/13 - 01:15 pm
If what someone posted awhile

If what someone posted awhile back is true regarding Mayor Riley... "He was very impressed after visiting Augusta, and looking at the new parking deck across from the TEE Center. All of the recent new buildings(library, judicial center, tee center, etc) peaked his interest" that may explain his honors divine credientials.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/26/13 - 01:27 pm
All a

black in the south has to do is accuse someone of racism. Whether the accusation is true or not, matters not. It's an automatic strike against the south to maintain federal control of the region. blacks know all of the tricks.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/26/13 - 01:50 pm
Never heard of this happening before,

at least, not when there was a reservation providing the same room for the duration of the stay.

Perhaps Bishop Norris did not have a reservation for that particular room for as long as he thought.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/26/13 - 02:11 pm
Hotels do not do this

'Nuff said.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/26/13 - 05:31 pm
I would suspect that his

I would suspect that his reservation was not in the system the way he "thought" it was.... but.. in most states there are laws saying that if someone is in a room and have the ability to pay you can't kick them out. Staff can ask you to leave, but if you refuse they aren't able to evict you. This messes up the whole reservation system too. This is in addition to hotels overbooking. Each brand typically has a percentage that they will overbook since there's usually a couple cancellations or no-shows (who still can be charged after a certain time). If everyone shows and it's on the up & up - the hotel will typically "walk" you to another comparable hotel or upgrade you at another hotel and sometimes even pay the bill within reason.

thauch12
thauch12 09/26/13 - 05:46 pm
Keyword missing from this

Keyword missing from this news story title: ALLEGEDLY

Georgialina
Georgialina 09/26/13 - 06:37 pm
I call BS

All I can say is that I have NEVER been asked to leave a hotel that I paid for and was not disturbing the peace. I find it hard to believe ANY hotel would "make" anyone leave as long as those two things are true. If and that's a big if, that happened then there has got to be more to the Good Bishop's story that is not being told.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 10:45 pm
Late at night. I thought

Late at night. I thought checkout time was in the morning.

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/26/13 - 11:16 pm
I do not believe it for one

I do not believe it for one second. I have stayed in many hotels in the USA, England, and Italy and have never been asked to leave in the middle of the night. My wife stayed in the Hampton Inn for close to a year when her mother was sick and the only time she moved was when they gave her a choice of a better room and then when the Bristol 500 race was held and the rooms were booked way in advance. Thou shalt not tell stories.

SheilaJ15
SheilaJ15 09/27/13 - 12:58 am
Sounds Strange

Sounds strange that he would have already been there several nights, and then to suddenly be asked to move--and in the middle of the night too. Even if they had promised someone else the room, why tell him in the middle of the night instead of the next morning?? I agree that something does not sound right about this story.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/27/13 - 05:32 am
No real comment given the limited presented facts here

I will google the local papers over there for more info. then comment.

Just like we had to do with that wild wings group, that we were told was discriminated against after waiting peacefully for 2 hours. TO WHICH, we later found out they stretch the true into the next state about their peaceful demeanor.☺

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/27/13 - 06:13 am
The Game a foot

"Honestly, the way it appears now, the only thing that happened here was that Norris was asked to move to another room — and that's not racist in the slightest."

=============
Rev. Richard Franklin Norris' Press profile

A prominent Philadelphia-based bishop.
A graduate of Rutgers University and New York Theological Seminary.
Newly posted to SC, in July 2013.
This is his 1st Southern State posting,
The press release states he was previously only assigned to Northern states, Bermuda, and Africa.

Staff problems:
( the following was taken from a Pro-Obama Supporting Web Site)
Rev. Craig Ward was at the time the hand picked assistant to Bishop Richard Franklin Norris.

Rev. Craig Ward was busted for soliciting hookers in Oakland Calif. Not once, but 3 times. The last time for trying to negotiate a $20-dollar oral sex act.

However, strangely there is no mention of Oakland in Rev. Norris' professional Press Release why?

======================
THE HOTEL MANAGER

Mr. Rice's professional profile.
General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District
General Manager at Hilton Garden inn Tampa East Brandon
General Manager at Marriott Winston Salem
Food & Beverage Director and Assistant General Manager at Franklin Marriott Cool Springs
Florida State University Grad.

-----------------------------
There are comments, saying many things.
But all I know it is an election year and all groups and factions are trying to incite their people, to get to them to voting booth.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 09/27/13 - 06:45 am
I'm struggling to find your

I'm struggling to find your point here nocnoc, why would he mention an incident concerning another pastor in his press release? And what does that have to do with this story? He wasn't soliciting a prostitute so what's the point? Maybe i'm missing something? I've never been thrown out of a hotel either, but we're not talking about me. So how can you relate your experiences to what happened to someone else at a hotel? I was not present during the incident so I don't know that it happened or not, but i'm almost sure he wouldn't need to lie about something so petty.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/27/13 - 07:58 am
A simple point.

When your assistant is arrested not once, but 3 times for immoral acts. Knowing this sometimes helps people to understand a persons judgement and mentality when determining a he said vs. he said situation. If it helps I did not find a similar issue for the Hotel mgr.

===========================
In My case
Having been spent 20+ years of road warrior travel, I have only been asked to move twice and screwed over by a sales person once.

That is Twice in likely 3000+ stays.

Once, so a husband and wife could have the same room they Honeymooned in 25 years prior. I was Pre-warned 2 days ahead, my group even send them a bottle of bubbly.

The other, I was also Pre-warned at check-in that the room was pre-booked for Fleet week. Because it overlooked the river/bay area and had a high floor step out balcony. That was back in May 2001. The room we were moved to was bigger and better.

The screwed over situation, was by my own slick thinking company salesperson, during the Moncia L. hearings in DC. He needed my room, he said for an important business deal. I found out later he resold it to a TV Crew covering the hearings. With all that said the worst hotel I ever spend a night in was the one Washington DC on New York Ave. that I got crammed into. They gave me a padlock and chain to secure the door because the "ladies" working the area kept cutting keys quicker than they could change locks.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/27/13 - 08:04 am
There is lying and

then there is a misunderstanding of actual facts in most heated discussions.

I have had my wife stop me more than once from getting to it with a person over a misunderstanding of what was said vs. actual facts.

But my wife also enjoys telling I am wrong.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/27/13 - 09:11 am
If you booked it for the week

If you booked it for the week what fool would leave late at night cause someone told you too? Sounds ridiculous. Gosh I would love to see someone try that with my wife-that manager would be crying like a baby and we'd have a year free stay.

Broad Street fire still investigated

Downtown streets were closed for several hours Tuesday as firefighters worked to put out a blaze in a Broad Street building.