Rants & Raves

RANTS TO BILL KIRBY for posting Wisconsin’s postcard in the Your Life section. As a woman and mother of two daughters, I find it highly offensive.

WHAT MAKES govern­ment agencies think they can pick and choose to do what they are being paid for? Let us keep our tax dollars and guns and do away with wasteful government spending.

IF YOU THINK U.S. Syrian policy is a mess, wait until Obamacare starts going into effect.

SUNRISE OXYGEN HAS been my local medical supplier for a very long time. I have seen a high turnover in the staff. I must say Denise is the best respiratory therapist I have seen so far. She is very detailed, and she is able to multitask and make everyone seem as though their issue is the most important. Thank you, Denise, for all that you do.

IF THE AUGUSTA Commission members designate the downtown area as a slum, will that make them slumlords?

THE AUGUSTA Commission is going to designate 600-plus acres of downtown as a slum so they can borrow money to renovate a government building sitting on about 3 acres (0.5% of the slum area), and they are not going to do anything to renovate the remaining 597-plus acres of the slum? When can we start a recall drive to renovate the Augusta Commission?

REALLY? TWO pictures and 10 column inches of copy on a regular season volleyball match? Must have been a slow day in the Sports Department.

BIG RAVE TO Douglas Newsome at Eyemart Express on Wrightsboro Road. Best customer service I ever received.

A HUGE RAVE to Paul McManaman and his crew of carriers who deliver The Augusta Chronicle each and every day. Rain or shine, I know that my newspaper will be there when I wake up – long after they have been hard at work.

REQUIRING A PHOTO ID to purchase tickets to the Guitar Pull is racist. The requirement disenfranchises those who want to go, but cannot obtain a government-issued ID.

WILL THE GreenJackets still be called the Augusta GreenJackets if they build that stadium in South Carolina?

RANT TO THE person who believes you need a marketable degree to make a paltry $15 an hour. You must be very well off to have such an attitude toward labor. Every person deserves as much as they can get for wages. I hope they all join unions – the entire South joins unions.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 05:10 pm
Are AUGUSTA Commissioner slum lords?

Surprise, no one told you Augusta was on the skids for the last 20 years?

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 05:11 pm
Bil Kirby posting Wisconsin’s postcard.

Bill could you re-post it so We all can judge it before we comment?

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 05:13 pm
When recalling the Commissioners

remember not all voted for it (yet).

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 05:14 pm
PHOTO ID to purchase tickets to the Guitar Pull tickets?

Next thing you know they'll want photo ID to prove you are a BUBBA for the Bubba-ra-lympics

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 05:18 pm
Will the GreenJackets still be called Green Jacket in SC?

I predict they will be renamed "River ________ (something) "

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 05:24 pm
AC Carrier down.

Our neighbor is a AC worker getting up every morning for years @ around 1:30am and heading down town. Recently he has taken ill and yesterday Gold Cross took him to the hospital.

Here is a hard working senior citizen, having really hard time.
Even if you don't know him, please whisper a little prayer for his recovery.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 09/26/13 - 06:20 pm
AC Carrier down

And God bless you for caring, nocnoc and may your neighbor get well real soon. He has my prayer!

harley_52
harley_52 09/26/13 - 10:31 pm
"I hope they all join unions – the entire South joins unions."

Why on earth would you hope for businesses currently located in the South to move elsewhere? Why would you hope for higher unemployment and fewer jobs in the South?

Are you a Yankee, a liberal, or both?

countyman
20149
countyman 09/26/13 - 11:29 pm
Excitement in October and September

This information is for the people who complain there's not enough to do in Augusta. The real problem is the lack of advertising to the community in advance, but don't worry I'm hear to solve that problem...

The Arts in the Heart just finished last weekend, and the event attracted over 70,000 people to Broad...

The ESI Ironman begins this weekend..

The Westobou festival runs between October 2nd-6th....

The 5k Color Run starts October 5th....

countyman
20149
countyman 09/26/13 - 11:45 pm
Urban redevelopment plan = Major private sector growth

#6.... ''In addition to the municipal building renovation, Augusta’s redevelopment plan cites several proposed future projects including a $75 million biotechnology research park, a $10 million Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, $500,000 to convert the old chamber of commerce building to a tech business incubator and a $225 million housing and retail development to support 7,000 new Georgia Regents University students.''

The leaders of Augusta and the local media both share the blame for the lack of information..

Now some people are more concerned about the word 'slum' instead of the bigger picture. The most important thing to remember is the urban redevelopment plan is great for attracting private growth..

Can you imagine the amount of tax base, industry, retailers, companies, hotels, restaurants, etc the biotech park or student housing/retail development would bring to the metro/CSRA?

Augusta is definitely moving forward in the right direction. The growing medical community(Raleigh), defense jobs(DC/VA/MD), and IT field(San Fran/San Jose).

bigj706
bigj706 09/27/13 - 06:13 am
Well thanks County thats all

Well thanks County thats all I ask for things to do so I won't have to leave town always keep it up!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/27/13 - 06:53 am
''In addition to the municipal building renovation, Augusta’s re

Countyman, that makes it sound like the slum designation is to do all these things, when in reality it's only to renovate the Marble Palace. That is the fact that almost everyone is having a problem with. If it was designated to do all the other things you've listed, I don't believe you would hear all the negative comments. But the designation is only to get the money for the Marble Palace and nothing else. What will they have to call it to get money for the rest of the projects?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/27/13 - 06:54 am
Unions

Hmm, I guess the Ranter wants the south to look like Chicago and Detroit!

chapen71
chapen71 09/27/13 - 07:49 am
Union

I'd bet a months income that 's a minimum wage earner or was.

countyman
20149
countyman 09/27/13 - 08:11 am
CBB... ''In addition to the

CBB... I just shared the direct quote with you, and you still had a negative comment..

''In addition to the municipal building renovation, Augusta’s redevelopment plan cites several proposed future projects including''

The quote clearly explains what's all included in the urban redevelopment plan, and it's more than the municipal building.

The media knows focusing on the word 'slum' will get them more ratings and create additional controversy, but will only hurt Augusta in the long run. Now we have people like you who don't want to believe the plan includes anything else even when presented with the correct information.

The majority of the money will come from the state in terms of the GRU projects, and private investors for the Walmart market center, etc.

countyman
20149
countyman 09/27/13 - 08:21 am
Urban redevelopment plan

CBB... Scroll down to page 8 if you still don't want to believe me.. Another development not discussed includes the $250k proposed for helping the Train Depot on Reynolds street become mixed-use in the future..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/27/13 - 08:21 am
Good Morning "Today Congressional Fun Day" America.

I just can't wait to see who wins the biggest American Destructive Game in history. Many bodies will lie in the field after this one.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 08:23 am
Wisconsin photo postcard

Yeah, the Bill Kirby Wisconsin photo postcard must be something. I want to see it, too. Heh, heh, heh. Y'all keep THOSE postcards coming. Send them to me if Kirby doesn't want them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:25 am
Blame the media game going on here

The media didn't cause the controversy about the "slum" name...get your facts right!!

YOUR RC GOV GAVE IT THAT NAME!!@!

If they had called it Wonderland...we would be saying wonderland.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:28 am
Postcards

Would you like some postcards of your Charleston Home Depot happenings???

Tool dept comes alive with real folks...yikes

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:31 am
T B cases in RC schools

That is alarming to me....what can the parents do about this?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:36 am
Figure this out

A young up & coming poster lives in downtown.....he/she has a lot of time to post the whole day/night.......positive events usually & usually interesting facts......but wait a minute......what kind of job will allow a worker to post all day.....a pr job ---maybe??

Whatever it is I'm jealous....I had to WORK all day at my job....I want a job like that ..SEAN---any openings .....I will work for $25 bucks an hour & you won't have to pay any bennies.
I can be nice when I have to be. :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 08:38 am
Girlfriend Named Pam

I never thought a Bill Kirby column would generate so much excitement.

About the Charleston Home Depot story, the police should have knocked. They were in a private place...kind of...heh.

SeenIt, I read that story from the link you posted in the other place. Did you see the one right under it about the man's girlfriend named Pam? Heh, heh, heh.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:41 am
Private place my fanny!!

Evidently you don't know what private means...I guess the movies in Martinez is private to you too! haha

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 08:44 am
Project Jackson Talking to the Ironman Organizers?

I'm hearing the Project Jackson folks are talking to the Ironman organizers about moving the Ironman to the new complex that will open in North Augusta in the future. North Augusta would be a great setting for the event with the hotel, restaurants, shops, nearby golf course and stadium to finish the run in. The bike portion is already held in SC.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/27/13 - 08:49 am
@ countyman 11:29pm

While I would love for all those events to purchase more advertising, you have to admit that we preview and promote the large events very well. Westobou preview: http://bit.ly/190CFF5
Augusta Live video promotes Ironman and Westobou: http://bcove.me/ie7hku7f
Those are just the two from yesterday.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 08:49 am
LOL, about what is private

LOL, about what is private and the Martinez theater. But the Home Depot couple was in a little house. The police snuck up on them and quickly opened the door. That's un-American. The person who saw them go in there could have just told them with the door closed that they had better get out of there. But all I know is if you have an ex-girlfriend named Pam, you better be careful.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:49 am
Nice events across the river in SC

Yes sirree...I can see the big events popping across the river....maybe they have their act together & use good common sense with money decisions...

Cgee...doya think we will have a budget shutdown...I kinda think so.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:51 am
Pam cooking spray

I never looked at the spray that way...!!

seenitB4