Rants & Raves

RANTS TO BILL KIRBY for posting Wisconsin’s postcard in the Your Life section. As a woman and mother of two daughters, I find it highly offensive.

WHAT MAKES govern­ment agencies think they can pick and choose to do what they are being paid for? Let us keep our tax dollars and guns and do away with wasteful government spending.

IF YOU THINK U.S. Syrian policy is a mess, wait until Obamacare starts going into effect.

SUNRISE OXYGEN HAS been my local medical supplier for a very long time. I have seen a high turnover in the staff. I must say Denise is the best respiratory therapist I have seen so far. She is very detailed, and she is able to multitask and make everyone seem as though their issue is the most important. Thank you, Denise, for all that you do.

IF THE AUGUSTA Commission members designate the downtown area as a slum, will that make them slumlords?

THE AUGUSTA Commission is going to designate 600-plus acres of downtown as a slum so they can borrow money to renovate a government building sitting on about 3 acres (0.5% of the slum area), and they are not going to do anything to renovate the remaining 597-plus acres of the slum? When can we start a recall drive to renovate the Augusta Commission?

REALLY? TWO pictures and 10 column inches of copy on a regular season volleyball match? Must have been a slow day in the Sports Department.

BIG RAVE TO Douglas Newsome at Eyemart Express on Wrightsboro Road. Best customer service I ever received.

A HUGE RAVE to Paul McManaman and his crew of carriers who deliver The Augusta Chronicle each and every day. Rain or shine, I know that my newspaper will be there when I wake up – long after they have been hard at work.

REQUIRING A PHOTO ID to purchase tickets to the Guitar Pull is racist. The requirement disenfranchises those who want to go, but cannot obtain a government-issued ID.

WILL THE GreenJackets still be called the Augusta GreenJackets if they build that stadium in South Carolina?

RANT TO THE person who believes you need a marketable degree to make a paltry $15 an hour. You must be very well off to have such an attitude toward labor. Every person deserves as much as they can get for wages. I hope they all join unions – the entire South joins unions.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/27/13 - 02:59 pm
Cards

The reason incompetent people who are parasites keep their jobs is they have CARDS to play. They know it and they'll use them. As an employer if you don't have very specific documentation you stand to have them played on you!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 04:05 pm
North Augusta, A Unique Opportunity

Countyman said, "The bike race actually begins in East Augusta, and not South Carolina. They'll start at Riverfront Drive, East Boundary, Sand Bar Ferry, and then into Aiken County.

The TEE Center and Marriott are both involved directly in the ESI Ironman."

Yes, the bike segment of the Ironman does begin and end in Augusta, but the vast majority is in SC. If it moves to the Project Jackson site they can use their hotel and other hotels in N. Augusta. They may even let some of the bike part continue in Augusta, but certainly not the East Boundary and Sand Bar Ferry segment. There are much nicer locations in North Augusta and Aiken County.

The demographics of North Augusta are so much better than those of the old city of Augusta that it makes sense to have the event in the nicer area. Imagine the event using the new Greejackets stadium to be built there to begin and end with thousands in the stands watching. Having the hotel and stadium together presents a unique opportunity. Competitors and fans can spill over into the restaurants and shopping in the complex and town.

harley_52
harley_52 09/27/13 - 04:40 pm
"Yes, the bike segment of the Ironman....

....does begin and end in Augusta, but the vast majority is in SC."

Do you know why "the vast majority" of the bike portion of the Ironman "is in SC?" Really....do you? Do you think it's to route the participants away from the "slum," or do you think there might be a rational, practical reason?

I must say that I have been selling you short, Riverman. For months I've noticed you take great delight at badmouthing Augusta at every possible opportunity. It's only recently that I've noticed you not only badmouth Augusta, but you actively campaign to punish the city by having events (such as the Masters Golf Tournament and now the Ironman competition) move away from Augusta to Evans, or North Augusta.

It must be hell for you having to drive through Richmond County so often. Do you ever get any "cooties" on you?

Darby
Darby 09/27/13 - 04:52 pm
Hey, how about that?

The thumb troll thinks people should be paid more than they are worth.

But then, we knew that, didn't we?

KSL
KSL 09/27/13 - 05:07 pm
Well, Lindsey voted right

Well, Lindsey voted right today.

harley_52
harley_52 09/27/13 - 05:29 pm
"Well, Lindsey voted right today."

He voted to fund Obamacare, right along with Harry Reid and the rest of the democrats.

I was hoping he'd vote the other way, but he frequently disappoints me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 06:27 pm
Harley, I didn't mean to

Harley, I didn't mean to upset you again today.

KSL
KSL 09/27/13 - 06:55 pm
He sent out an email todsy

He sent out an email todsy saying he voted to defund Obamacare today.

harley_52
harley_52 09/27/13 - 06:59 pm
"I didn't mean to upset you again today."

Upset?

Who's upset? I'm not. If anything, I'd say I'm bewildered by it all. I just don't get it.

You have every right to spend your time badmouthing Augusta. It seems to be compulsive. You've already told me you don't plan to stop. So be it.

If I were "upset," I'd just avoid your posts. Obviously, I don't. I just scratch my head these days.

harley_52
harley_52 09/27/13 - 07:10 pm
"He sent out an email todsy....

....saying he voted to defund Obamacare today."

He lied.

He purposely misled his constituents.

The entire purpose of the Ted Cruz filibuster was to get Republicans to vote "no" today, knowing a "yes" vote would allow Harry Reid to strip out the House language that would de-fund Obamacare.

Republicans who voted the way he did today will all say they "voted against Obamacare," but they all know they're lying.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 07:50 pm
Harley, okay, sorry to

Harley, okay, sorry to bewilder you. :)

Darby
Darby 09/27/13 - 09:39 pm
"Man-made global climate change is real."

Yeah - You just keep telling yourself that.

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.