Rants & Raves

RANTS TO BILL KIRBY for posting Wisconsin’s postcard in the Your Life section. As a woman and mother of two daughters, I find it highly offensive.

WHAT MAKES govern­ment agencies think they can pick and choose to do what they are being paid for? Let us keep our tax dollars and guns and do away with wasteful government spending.

IF YOU THINK U.S. Syrian policy is a mess, wait until Obamacare starts going into effect.

SUNRISE OXYGEN HAS been my local medical supplier for a very long time. I have seen a high turnover in the staff. I must say Denise is the best respiratory therapist I have seen so far. She is very detailed, and she is able to multitask and make everyone seem as though their issue is the most important. Thank you, Denise, for all that you do.

IF THE AUGUSTA Commission members designate the downtown area as a slum, will that make them slumlords?

THE AUGUSTA Commission is going to designate 600-plus acres of downtown as a slum so they can borrow money to renovate a government building sitting on about 3 acres (0.5% of the slum area), and they are not going to do anything to renovate the remaining 597-plus acres of the slum? When can we start a recall drive to renovate the Augusta Commission?

REALLY? TWO pictures and 10 column inches of copy on a regular season volleyball match? Must have been a slow day in the Sports Department.

BIG RAVE TO Douglas Newsome at Eyemart Express on Wrightsboro Road. Best customer service I ever received.

A HUGE RAVE to Paul McManaman and his crew of carriers who deliver The Augusta Chronicle each and every day. Rain or shine, I know that my newspaper will be there when I wake up – long after they have been hard at work.

REQUIRING A PHOTO ID to purchase tickets to the Guitar Pull is racist. The requirement disenfranchises those who want to go, but cannot obtain a government-issued ID.

WILL THE GreenJackets still be called the Augusta GreenJackets if they build that stadium in South Carolina?

RANT TO THE person who believes you need a marketable degree to make a paltry $15 an hour. You must be very well off to have such an attitude toward labor. Every person deserves as much as they can get for wages. I hope they all join unions – the entire South joins unions.

BamaMan
BamaMan 09/27/13 - 08:43 am
Home Depot

When did this happen in Home Depot?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:44 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:51 am
Stuff to do here

Stuff & junk going on....mainly stuff...since I can't get rid of this song yall need it too!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/13 - 08:53 am
BTW

Thanks pops--gnipgnop & sweetson for expressing your feelings about Augusta.....I miss the ole sweet times too!♥

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/27/13 - 09:08 am
Last rant

"Every person deserves as much as they can get for wages."

Absolutely! That means they are getting what they are worth to that employer and the market rate for their skillset. (but I suspect that isn't what you meant)

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/27/13 - 09:13 am
countyman......"The most

countyman......"The most important thing to remember is the urban redevelopment plan is great for attracting private growth........Augusta is definitely moving forward in the right direction."

See countyman.....you too speak out of both sides of your mouth. I am told I am a resident of "Augusta" when I get the tax bill. But MY PART of Augusta is NOT moving forward. In fact, MY PART of Augusta is moving backwards because of the policies that are moving the urban part forward. And that is JUST NOT RIGHT. And I cannot speak for everyone out this way but I AM SICK AND ....... TIRED of it.

Complaining about it has not worked. Contacting my commissioner does not have much impact because he is only 1 against 9 who apparently agree that the Southside is the designated dumping ground. Writing comments on here has not changed anything. The districting of Augusta has made my vote totally insignificant....I have no voice in this government and neither do my neighbors. The alternatives to express my anger and disgust are almost exhausted. We have reached the end point of the Consolidation scam. Something needs to happen to impress the "Augusta" leadership with the level of anger and despair that is building in the long time residents of the Southside.

raul
raul 09/27/13 - 09:23 am
@Countyman. Is the Train

@Countyman. Is the Train Depot back on the books as a project? I'm thinking a year or so ago, the property was up for auction by the city, but no one made an acceptable bid. I've always thought that was a waste that nothing has been done with that building. It would be nice if a private developer made that into shops/restaurant etc.

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/27/13 - 10:13 am
Way to go Sean!!!!

countyman needs to buy column space and pay for promoting anything he wants as long as it meets your guidelines. Others are not allowed to promote in their comments.

Last Ranter; 'your' unions will have Augusta looking like Detroit and other cities who can't pay their bills and salaries. But think about it our Commissioners are dreaming up pet projects and paying for them out of 'our' savings account. ARC is slowly and surely headed that way!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/27/13 - 10:19 am
Rant about taxes

"WHAT MAKES govern­ment agencies think they can pick and choose to do what they are being paid for? Let us keep our tax dollars and guns and do away with wasteful government spending"

I agree that there is way too much waste in our government!! But I just do not understand why people "don't understand" how much is paid for with tax dollars.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/27/13 - 10:25 am
Rant about a "living wage"

"RANT TO THE person who believes you need a marketable degree to make a paltry $15 an hour. You must be very well off to have such an attitude toward labor. Every person deserves as much as they can get for wages. I hope they all join unions – the entire South joins unions"

THIS IS MY KIND OF RANT!! You must be very well off to have such an attitude toward labor. ALL PEOPLE must have a LIVING-WAGE reguardless of how much inflation that it causes. The law of market compitition will manage the inflation issue!!

daphne3520
daphne3520 09/27/13 - 10:48 am
"I hope they all join unions – the entire South joins unions."

ERRRMMMM, as a PROUD Union Member, I got to say......THEY ain't smart enough!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 11:15 am
Jewel is a Kilcher

Look what I just found out. Anyone watch the show “Alaska: The Last Frontier”? If you do you know the Kilcher family. Two older brothers and a young couple. One of the older brothers is Atz Kilcher and his son is Atz Jr. and he’s featured often.

Well, come to find out the world famous folk-country writer-singer, Jewel, is the daughter of Atz Sr. and the sister of Atz Jr. It kind of fits that Jewel grew up in a place like that because of her music and life. She is married to a many time world champion cowboy, Ty Murray, and that fits, too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 11:22 am
Bob Young

I heard Bob Young guest hosting a radio show yesterday and he was impressive. You can get to know someone hearing him talk that long and taking calls from all kinds of people. He was smart and funny. He picked right up on the idiot calls and was able to handle them with skill. He would ask callers questions and displayed lots of common sense. I feel like I know him better after that show and it’s all positive.

countyman
countyman 09/27/13 - 11:33 am
It's hilarious that my

It's hilarious that my positive comments get such negative responses. The Ironman event is going nowhere, and nobody from Project Jackson is talking to anybody from the Ironman event.

People need to understand the world is much bigger than the Augusta Chronicle. The same few people on here bash Augusta daily, but that doesn't change the way other's feel about the city.

Augusta is ranked third in the state for tourism in Georgia, and Richmond County is the second largest county outside of metro Atlanta in the state. Over 200,000 people decided to live in Richmond County obvisouly because it's a nice enough place.

According to some people the positive facts related to Augusta have to be considered PR.

Sean.. I disagree with you 100%, because plenty of residents have never been to the Arts in the Heart or Westobou.

Look at the number of people who didn't even know about the upcoming 5k Color Run.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 11:28 am
About Charities

About charities. We all want to support charities directed at concerns that make us feel warm and fuzzy. But I’ll offer a word of caution. Use the line, “Show me the money.” Or in this case it should be, “Show me where the money goes.” That is the only yardstick to measure by. Where does the money go? Does it reach those it is intended to help? Ask those questions and check the required financial disclosure reports. If the answers are not appropriate, find somewhere else to donate your money.

raul
raul 09/27/13 - 11:33 am
@Countyman. See my 10:23 a.m.

@Countyman. See my 10:23 a.m. comment.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 11:47 am
Ironman Fits North Augusta Better

The Ironman bike ride is already in SC. The swim is in the river that also belongs to SC along with GA. So it's not a stretch that some have heard discussions are taking place. North Augusta would be a much better place to have the run than the current Augusta route. Plus, they could end the run with a lap around the North Augusta Greenjackets stadium with fans in the stands cheering them on. I own 130 acres out in Hwy 301 country in Aiken County and know more than a few "players."

Heck, you're always coming up with something you heard. Know what you responding to my comment has done? It has put the idea in the minds of many of the Ironman people. The stadium doesn't even open until 2015 at the earliest so these discussions have to be preliminary. You're safe for at least another year.

countyman
countyman 09/27/13 - 11:59 am
Train depot

Riverman... I knew you didn't have any facts, and this was based on your personal opinions as usual. I actually have facts to back up the things I've heard, and I don't have an bias against Columbia County/Aiken County.

Please name anybody from Ironman or Project Jackson who has been in talks? Name the many people from Ironman who are thinking about the idea?

Why does the completion of the baseball stadium have to do with being safe for another year? The Ironman is held at the TEE Center, and some of the participants use the Marriott.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 12:08 pm
Deal

I'll make a deal with you. When you start naming names about things you've heard, I'll do the same. Like I said, I own 130 acres in Aiken County and know many people there. You?

You said, "The Ironman is held at the TEE Center, and some of the participants use the Marriott."

How can I debate such logic? And here I was thinking the Ironman swim was in the river, the bike run in SC and the run in downtown Augusta.

countyman
countyman 09/27/13 - 12:04 pm
Riverman... Everyday you get

Riverman... Everyday you get on here and portray your personal opinion as facts. The people who run Ironman don't live in Aiken County... You wants us to believe the officials from Ironman and Project Jackson are now talking based on your comments from yesterday in the Augusta Chronicle?

I was reading some of the earlier comments. Where is the movie theater in Martinez?

I don't think Martinez will ever have a movie theater being located between West Augusta and Evans... The Augusta Exchange theater in West Augusta will always be the largest in the CSRA/Metro for sometime. The next largest move theater is the new one coming to North Richmond. South Augusta is probably the next place in the metro to get one.

Raul... The train depot was included in the Watermark project. I'm positive the building will be renovated into something in the near future. Somebody did bid on the project last year, but the offer wasn't acceptable. The economy continues to improve locally, and the larger developers will be returning. The $250k is likely associated with making the building easier for redevelopment. The traffic at the TEE Center makes the depot even more attractive than before.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 12:12 pm
Apoplexy at the Movie

LOL..apoplexy nears. Who said the people who run the Ironman live in Aiken County? I have no idea how the movie theater talk got into this. I live about 2-3 miles from the Evans theater and that works for me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 12:14 pm
Raul, I do remember the train

Raul, I do remember the train depot got lots of federal "transportation" money about 10 years ago for a new roof.

countyman
countyman 09/27/13 - 01:16 pm
Facts not opinions

The bike race actually begins in East Augusta, and not South Carolina. They'll start at Riverfront Drive, East Boundary, Sand Bar Ferry, and then into Aiken County.

The TEE Center and Marriott are both involved directly in the ESI Ironman.

''Another local hotel near full capacity, the Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, will use its new Olmstead Exhibit Hall as headquarters for athlete check-in as well as other Ironman exhibits and merchandise booths.''

corgimom
corgimom 09/27/13 - 02:09 pm
seenit, there is nothing you

seenit, there is nothing you can do about TB in schools, you have it when you have poor people, poorly nourished, living in crowded conditions. And it's very common in Third World countries- as in, illegal immigrants.

corgimom
corgimom 09/27/13 - 02:12 pm
As soon as the Dekester gets

As soon as the Dekester gets out of office, the Ironman competition is going to move to SC. And that is MY personal opinion, and it's a darn good one.

corgimom
corgimom 09/27/13 - 02:14 pm
Rant #1- There are people

Rant #1- There are people that now get offended if the sun comes up in the morning.

People are so busy being "offended", yet ignore the serious social problems of this country. The Paula Deen nonsense is a perfect example of just plain foolishness.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/27/13 - 02:57 pm
Reminder

A meeting of all the RnR minds, Tomorrow, Saturday September 28th, 2013 at 2:00pm at the 8th St. Riverwalk Fountain area, unless someone sees a problem with all the Ironpeople in that area. If so we can find an alternate location...........Send a e mail to me through here and in the morning we'll make a final announcement! Let's say by 10:00 am!

Darby
Darby 09/27/13 - 02:44 pm
"RANT TO THE person who believes you need a marketable

degree to make a paltry $15 an hour. You must be very well off to have such an attitude toward labor. Every person deserves as much as they can get for wages. I hope they all join unions – the entire South joins unions."

In the meantime, maybe you could see what you can do to stop the unions from hemorrhaging the falling numbers of members they have now.

At the rate they're going, we might have to establish a national union museum so that our grandkids and great-grandkids can learn about what a union was. (Back in the day.)

And by the way, not every person deserves what he can get in wages. Every person deserves what he can demonstrate that he's worth.

In other words, what he can EARN!

Darby