Bicycle deputy hit by van in Evans

A Columbia County Sheriff’s Office bicycle deputy was hit Thursday by a minivan on Washington Road but wasn’t seriously injured.

Deputy Kevin Center and his partner were riding bicycles along Washington Road near Lowe’s about 3 p.m. when they tried to cross Washington Road to respond to a wreck, according to sheriff’s Capt. Sharif Chochol.

Yasmill Ramirez, 37, of Windmill Lane in Evans, was driving west in her Toyota minivan and didn’t see Center.

Center sustained injuries to his right arm and right leg and was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center, Sgt. A.J. Lyons said.

Ramirez will not be charged, Lyons said.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 09:48 pm
Wouldn't

it be nice to know the whole story here.

"when they tried to cross Washington Road"

The word TRIED seems to be the key word.......

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/26/13 - 11:14 pm
I had to calm down also Mr.

I had to calm down also Mr. Giants and even had emails sent to me telling me so. Too bad for such tight controls. On another note, riding a bicycle on Washington Road is really really dangerous. Those riders gave me a warning several years ago because the traffic was heavy and I went over the yellow line to go to the left turn lane which had very few cars. Had I not done that I would have to had waited thru several lights before I got to the small section with a white line. Sometimes I don;t understand the mentality.

griff6035
griff6035 09/26/13 - 11:33 pm
Sheriffs Deputy

Having a Pistol and a little blue light on a bicycle will not protect you on a five lane US Highway, they should know better.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 09/26/13 - 11:46 pm
Questions,

Will Deputy Kevin Center be charged with this accident? Whose insurance will pay for the damages his actions caused to Yasmill Ramirez's car? If you can answer those questions, riddle me this;
How can we have bicycle only trails, yet bicycles are allowed on roads built for motor vehicles? Just a bit one sided, don’t you think?
How can a bicycle be classed as a vehicle when it has no; brake lights, turn signals, horn, liability insurance, can not maintain posted speed limit, pays no road use taxes, requires no drivers license, tag or registration?
With no real difference in speed versus that of an automobile, why do the laws state that a pedestrian must walk facing traffic and a bicyclist must turn his back to it?
When there are good safe sidewalks, why play in traffic? Just to be correct? Would you rather be carried by six than judged by twelve?
The entire highway system in the US has developed around motor vehicles. The posted speeds, weight classifications, head and tail lamp placement as well as bumper height are for the safety of all motor vehicles. Bicycles just do not fit the equation.
When you cause a traffic accident, what insurance do you have to cover the damages? There are more and more cameras everywhere recording your stunts in traffic.
Do you enjoy seeing a thief get away? Do you not feel you are stealing when your bicycle does not pay its share of road use taxes? Do you feel safe with your back turned on people who feel you are a thief?
Is there any real valid reason to not face oncoming traffic if you must ride on the roadway? Is it the blindfold at a firing squad thing? Are you afraid that if you see a car coming, your survival instincts may kick in and you will move to safety?
A five mph bicycle can maneuver faster to avoid a wreck than a fifty five mph car, so if you face traffic you will be able to see and avoid a car that does not see you, tell me why not face the music?

myfather15
myfather15 09/27/13 - 07:10 am
Oldredneck

"Do you enjoy seeing a thief get away? Do you not feel you are stealing when your bicycle does not pay its share of road use taxes?"

Well, since the vast majority of people with bicycles, also own and operate motor vehicles, they probably pay their taxes to use the road.

Whose insurance will pay for it? Probably the Sheriff's Office insurance. I'm quite sure she was unharmed and her vehicle wasn't totaled, since she did hit a bicycle and not a motorcycle. Probably wasn't a lot of damage to start with, and the Sheriff's Office will absolutely cover it.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the classification. Bicycles are not classified as motor vehicles at all. They are allowed on the road because they basically "low-speed vehicles" and offer very little, if any; danger to the public, the most danger is to themselves. Why not calm down, be watchful and share the road with them.

Also, many law enforcement agencies have gone to bicycles officer's in congested areas because they can get to calls for service faster than a deputy in a large motor vehicle, even with blue lights and siren on. Bicycle police are there to help the public, period. There is no other reason for them besides better response time and visibility in high foot traffic areas such as malls, higher visibility helps to reduce crime.

myfather15
myfather15 09/27/13 - 07:34 am
I'm just curious why somone

I'm just curious why someone, would want them back to work soon; since their opinion of law enforcement officers is that they are crooks. You want them back at work so they can harass, intimidate, lie and steal from people?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/27/13 - 07:23 am
I'm not sure that's right myfather

I had a friend that was hit by a sheriff's deputy and their car was totaled. The sheriff's office did not have to pay for their car because the accident occured while they were in route to answer a call (ebven though the deputy ran a redlight at a intersection). Not sure if this is still the rule but my friend sure got screwed. Brand new car that he had made one payment on. He wound up eating 2 grand.

myfather15
myfather15 09/27/13 - 07:50 am
GnipGnop

Your friend should get a good attorney and he will win. When we are in route to an emergency call, with blue lights and siren we MUST still use "Due regard". The law IS that when we are using emergency lights and siren and are approaching the intersection, with the lights and siren on, we are REQUESTING the right to go through the light, with it red. It is NOT a given and if we do NOT use "Due Regard" we ARE at fault for any crash which results from running the red light. Now, in CHASES, federal law has ruled we are NOT responsible if the fleeing suspect runs a red light and kills someone. Now, if the fleeing suspect makes it through the red light and makes it through successfully, then WE run the red light without "Due regard" and injure or kill someone, we ARE responsible. Just because the fleeing suspect runs through the red light, doesn't mean we can throw caution to the wind as well, and do so.

Perfect example of this would be the case where Atlanta Braves Trainer (Jeff Porter) wifes was killed by a trooper, who ran a red light, responding to assist another officer in a chase. He did NOT use "Due regard" and was indicted.

He was also subsequently convicted and received two years in prison.

I'm just saying, unless you were there and seen it, maybe your friend wasn't telling the WHOLE truth about the incident. A trial should bring that out and if he has an attorney and the Deputy did run the red light, the deputy would be found at fault. Porter's wife isn't NEAR the only case of this. There have been many in Georgia where officers WERE charged and convicted. I just wanted to point that out, before some numbskull says the ONLY reason the trooper was convicted was because of the high power position of Jeff Porter.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/27/13 - 08:34 am
Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/27/13 - 08:53 am
@OldRedNeck

I'm not following your post much. Did you pop a 'Crabby Appleton' pill or what? I know most of you don't know who Crabby Appleton was -- Google. But really. First and foremost, Columbia County is self-insured for the most part. I'm sure they will be contacting Ms. Ramirez. Bicycles don't pay "road tax", but neither do mopeds, and I've seen one of those on Riverwatch Parkway ! The most important thing is the Deputy is going to mend. All the other things can be fixed/replaced. Have a good day...

dickworth1
dickworth1 09/27/13 - 09:09 am
The answer

You are dealing with Columbia county! They do as they please.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/27/13 - 09:20 am
This was a good while ago so the laws may have changed since

then....maybe someone with some legal expertise can answer...I can't remember what the quote was but it was something about good samaritan law or something

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/27/13 - 09:20 am
Have to ask

since the article say "Washington Road near Lowe’s about 3 p.m. "
and Lowe's is on Bobby Jones? and has a Stoplight next to it?

What are the story's facts?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 09:25 am
Lowes at the corner of Wash. Rd and Belair Rd.

There is also a Lowes at the corner of Wash. Rd and Belair Rd.

This incident does bring up the whole matter of bikes on busy roads. Cars and bikes have collided more than once around here. Has a bike rider EVER been ticketed? It doesn't appear the bike rider will be ticketed in this case either.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 09/27/13 - 09:27 am
myfather

OK I own a diesel truck and if I put one gallon of non-taxed fuel in it I loose the truck and maybe do jail time, even though the car I have uses taxed gas. Is that the argument you make that because you own a car you have paid road use fees? Is the county insuring all bicycles on the road? If you see a car backing up traffic by running too slow are you not supposed to pull it over and ticket it for obstruction of traffic? The movie "Mall Cop" was funny, cops on bicycles is just plain stupid. Pull over "ding ding" pull over! As to "causing very little damage" just how much is allowed before a traffic ticket is issued for causing damage? Yes, Marinerman1, I do get crabby, I live in the real world.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/27/13 - 09:33 am
Motorcycle or bicycle both

Motorcycle or bicycle both are death traps on a highway. Wearing a helmet is useless-at 35 mph they crack like a egg. But both have the legal right to travel our roads and people can take that risks riding till that accident and you are put on life support. It is like smoking or drinking are certain behaviors that have risks-like promiscuity too. So give me a Harley, smoke, a drink, and a biker babe and I'll wave at you as I pass by Lowe's.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/27/13 - 09:41 am
I think those bicycle cops

I think those bicycle cops have a tough job-riding that dang hard butt cruncher seat in this heat and your riding a bike trying to get respect from cars. More power to them.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/27/13 - 10:26 am
RM- You know I keep forgetting about that one...

But there are 2 stoplights to stop that cause a break in the traffic, plus a suicide lane with a solid yellow line.

To say the least it was avoidable.

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/27/13 - 10:57 am
Is that the same deputy who has been hit before? Maybe that

time it was on his own bike. If she hit him crossing he was crossing between lights or against the warnings in a crosswalk.

And myfather is right. Emergency vehicles can operate without respect to traffic rules but they have to exercise caution and if they are at fault; they are at fault and their agency should be responsible for repairs!

I know because in 1987 I was involved in an emergency vehicle vs private vehicle and the emergency vehicle operator was at fault! No charges but damages were covered by the agency's insurance.

djkillaran
djkillaran 09/27/13 - 01:19 pm
Never see me riding a bike in Augusta!

People in Augusta can't drive! Who ever design the roads around here needs to be fired!! I have less chances in the city of Detroit getting hit by a car than here in Augusta. Here is proof from a study as of May 2013. http://www.wlky.com/marketplace/automotive/-/9367822/586730/-/bcj41gz/-/... They couldn't pay me to ride a bike around here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/13 - 01:47 pm
DJKillaran, wow, 3rd most

DJKillaran, wow, 3rd most dangerous city in the nation to drive in!

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/27/13 - 03:31 pm
From the big presence of

From the big presence of Florida cities we can say Florida drivers generally stink. I wouldn't ride a bike in Columbia county.

corgimom
corgimom 09/27/13 - 03:32 pm
Hey, I once saw a fire truck

Hey, I once saw a fire truck back into a car on Greene St.

It was the car driver's fault, you must stay back 300 ft from a fire truck that is using their lights and siren.

As to the person that didn't yield to the police car using lights and a siren- yep, the one that doesn't yield is at fault. What do you think the lights and sirens mean?

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/27/13 - 04:19 pm
Lights, siren mean? I don't

Lights, siren mean? I don't think people know what flashing lights are used for-like when was the last time you saw someone use their turn light blinkers.

bill.waters
bill.waters 09/27/13 - 04:59 pm
Paying for road use

Seems to me that most road paving today is paid for by sales and use tax. Almost everyone pays sale/use tax.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/27/13 - 05:12 pm
Augusta 3rd most dangerous

If the sampling of posters to the AC comments sections are representative of the general population, it is no wonder cyclists are endangered in Augusta. The past couple of years of comments have been very instructive and enlightening about their attitudes towards bicycles.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/27/13 - 10:33 pm
I know this is alittle late,

I know this is alittle late, but I'll put it out there anyway. I came upon this accident just after it had happened. Several of us saw some commotion in front of us and we peeled off and drove into the Lowe's front entrance of Washington Road. Now, what's significant about that is that the entrance is still a good little ways from the actual intersection of Washington and Belair. This accident happened about 20 yards from that Lowe's entrance...leading to the conclusion that the deputy did NOT attempt to cross Washington at the intersection's crosswalk. He was laying on the ground, with responders around him, and he was obviously writhing in pain. I feel sorry for the guy and the driver, but the deputy was not at the crosswalk, and so I feel that he was at fault....if that's the way those things work.

jrbfromga
jrbfromga 09/28/13 - 08:33 am
Bicycles are vehicles

and have every right to use the roadways. If the road has a bike lane, then it should be used, but if not it is incumbent upon motorists to operate safely around them. They, like pedestrians, have the right of way. This is especially so in the case of law enforcement officers on bicycles. Their bikes carry a lot of equipment so that they can respond to incidents, and they are often able to be first responders, particularly in heavy traffic when police cars are stuck. Bicycle law enforcement is also particularly adept at responding to vehicle break-ins, thefts, and shoplifters in commercial parking lots and residential neighborhoods (shoplifting excluded for the latter location, of course) due to their quietness and low profile.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 09/28/13 - 01:09 pm
I do appreciate our deputies presence, but

Guys please stay out of the suicide lane, to my horror several times I have nearly hit bicycling deputies.