Rants & Raves

EVERY TIME THERE is an act of terror, we are reminded not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few. Isn’t it time the 80 million peaceful gun owners are given the same treatment?

WHY IS RICHMOND Coun­ty going to make people pay for lots that are not habituated? We bought the lot next to us so no one would move in or build there. We were told that empty lots generated rubbish, and ours does not! It was bought solely for us to have a lot between us and the next house. Our taxes should not show this, and we should not have to pay anything! We are retired and on a set income. Now we are considering selling the lot because we do not want to pay for trash pickup taxes, especially since we don’t have a trash can over there! This is ridiculous. What do others think?

NAZI SABOTEURS landed by submarine on U.S. soil in June of 1942. All were captured later that month. Tried by a military commission and found guilty, they were executed on Aug. 8, 1942. 9/11 happened 12 years ago. We have yet to execute any of the terrorists we have in our control. We will never beat these guys.

ATTENTION, PARENTS of public school students. Examine very carefully Common Core that is being taught in Georgia schools. Teaching is being taken away from teachers and is now in the hands of some far-off government types with their own agenda. If you’re involved with your kids’ education, I suggest a talk with them and their teachers is in order.

AIKEN COUNTY NEEDS to have security at the Aiken library. They are mostly women who work there, and it’s not safe for them to go out to a parking lot at dark.

I HEARD THE HOUSE on Circular Drive is now owned by a bank. You would think if a bank owned a piece of property they would want to sell it as soon as possible, but how can they do that when it looks like a dump?!

OUR JAILS ARE FULL of people that are completely capable of performing a day’s work. Why doesn’t the county put these people to work cleaning up our neighborhoods? They could start by cleaning out the ditches on Circular Drive.

THEY DON’T WANT TO patrol downtown (without extra money extorted from downtown businesses) and they don’t want to respond to automobile accidents. Could the sheriff publish a list of what he does want to do?

happychimer
happychimer 09/26/13 - 01:53 pm
and what is so funny about my

and what is so funny about my comment?

happychimer
happychimer 09/26/13 - 02:00 pm
I have used billpay for years

I have used billpay for years with no problem. If a company says you can't pay them any other way except by phone(with service charge) or mail, then pay by billpay. there is nothing they can do to stop you.Now I don't know what is so doggone funny about that. I was trying to be helpful, and I don't think River is laughing. I was simply trying to help.Angela if you have a problem with my comments, you don't have to read them.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 02:06 pm
Our well off Cemetery Rd in

Our well off Cemetery Rd in Gracewood was 80 ft. sank in 1957
Our well off Byrd Rd. also in the Gracewood area was 120 ft. and sank in 1974.

Both wells went dry after the County sank surrounding large diameter wells .

They Cemetery Rd in Gracewood was sank deeper to reach reach good water in 1989.

The well off Byrd Rd. also needed to be deeper to reach reach good water in 1993. I heard they needed 50 plus feet each.

Now,it is forbidden to drill NEW wells in ARC.
You can only maintain what is on the property previously.

It seem no Government likes people to be too independent when they can charge them for something.

Btw:
Southern parts of McBean and parts between there and Hephzibah have areas that only produce Sulfur wells.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/26/13 - 02:09 pm
chimer...I wasn't making fun

chimer...I wasn't making fun of your comment....just the double post...it happens to all of us.

Click once...nothing happens.....click again...now it happens twice.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/26/13 - 02:09 pm
Hey River

Go to bill pay.........

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 02:09 pm
Thanks for the Help

Hey, thanks for the help with the auto payments, guys. I learn so much here. It almost makes me want to go out and accumulate some bills just so I can show off and pay them online. I be bad.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/26/13 - 02:23 pm
river

just so you know, it probably costs more than .50 per. But, much easier.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/26/13 - 02:52 pm
I went to Fleming

Huh JTF - so safe, so much fun but being an Army brat-we had to move on- later when Daddy settled us elsewhere, I asked why couldn't we go back to our friends in Augusta and he said I worry for the environment you will be in - parents know best - we were wild children and we would not have been suited for Augusta. Thankfully the little town he put us in was suited for us! 40 plus years later a couple of us are still here with our mother and grandchildren - Daddy passed 18 years ago -

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/26/13 - 02:57 pm
And RM

Your aunt - is this the famous one or the infamous one? Hehe

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/26/13 - 03:03 pm
Wells

When looking at properties to build on back in the 80's, I was told that 400ft in Columbia Co. was not unusual, plus may have to do a lot of rock drilling which could drive the cost up even more. If memory serves, they told me it could run as much as $10,000, depending on depth and rock. I settled on building where there was county water.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/26/13 - 03:14 pm
Two lots.

It may be in the ranters best interest to get the extra lot merged with their home lot. I'm not sure what that process is, but it shouldn't increase their home assessment by as much as the stand alone lot is valued, and they wouldn't have two separate tax bills.

The downside is they wouldn't be able to sell off that lot at some point unless they went through the same process to subdivide it again.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/26/13 - 03:23 pm
Two lots

The point about the vacant lot next door to the lot with a house on it — the garbage collection is a fee for service. It is not a tax. They put it on the tax bill to streamline collection. As a bonus, property taxpayers can deduct the entire bill on the income tax forms (even though the IRS would probably frown on that practice if they found out about it).

The vacant lot has property taxes due on it, but they should not have to pay garbage collection fees if there is no dwelling there.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/13 - 03:29 pm
River's Home Town-Charleston

Amazing what you can see at Home Depot in the tool dept no less...

Just like the movies...:)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/26/13 - 03:43 pm
LL

No, they shouldn't have to pay for garbage; but in the overall scheme of things having that lot rolled in would probably save taxes in the long run.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/26/13 - 03:50 pm
Taxes

Yes, they could pay one streetlight fee instead of two. And they would pay one garbage fee instead of two. They might be able to talk the assessor value the single parcel as less than the sum of the two.

happychimer
happychimer 09/26/13 - 05:20 pm
justthefacts billpay for us

justthefacts billpay for us is free. When you have direct deposit or keep a certain minimum balance, banking is free. I never pay for billpay.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/26/13 - 05:49 pm
Hahaha

They were found in the screw dept - you just can't make these things up -

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 07:18 pm
Please Happy

don't get so sensitive only if someone is making a direct (Bad) comment about your post. I read it as HA was just making fun of RM.

You are right Happy, Regions Bank doesn't charge anything to pay any bill on line.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 06:11 pm
I still Have the Bill, iaod.

It cost me $20.00 per stick for a total of $400.00 plus a $100.00 set up fee in 1974. That was a lot of money back then.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 06:18 pm
What's with the odd numbers?

What's with the odd numbers? Why not go ahead and make it 50¢

Rather
Rather 09/26/13 - 07:34 pm
Pay like everyone else

If you are dumb enough to buy the property, you are dumb enough to pay the taxes. No free rides.

happychimer
happychimer 09/26/13 - 08:28 pm
Maybe I read HA wrong. If I

Maybe I read HA wrong. If I did, then I apologize.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 09:19 pm
Evidently there are 3 posters

Evidently there are 3 posters and one ranter who do not know the definition of habituated.

I have been laughing all day off and on at the ignorance.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 09:29 pm
Happy

You are a good person. We go way back, don't we? To the beginning of the get togethers.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 09:37 pm
I have a really funny cat

I have a really funny cat story to tell you on Saturday. This cat has out smarted my husband twice in the last week to avoid going to the vet.

happychimer
happychimer 09/26/13 - 09:49 pm
Cats are smart and have minds

Cats are smart and have minds of their own. I will see you Saturday.

happychimer
happychimer 09/26/13 - 09:57 pm
good night everybody.

good night everybody.

Atlanta Gas Light delays church demolition plans

Atlanta Gas Light is delaying plans to demolish the historic Trinity CME Church after a group of community members voiced doubts about the methods the natural gas wholesaler used to condemn the ...