Rants & Raves

EVERY TIME THERE is an act of terror, we are reminded not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few. Isn’t it time the 80 million peaceful gun owners are given the same treatment?

WHY IS RICHMOND Coun­ty going to make people pay for lots that are not habituated? We bought the lot next to us so no one would move in or build there. We were told that empty lots generated rubbish, and ours does not! It was bought solely for us to have a lot between us and the next house. Our taxes should not show this, and we should not have to pay anything! We are retired and on a set income. Now we are considering selling the lot because we do not want to pay for trash pickup taxes, especially since we don’t have a trash can over there! This is ridiculous. What do others think?

NAZI SABOTEURS landed by submarine on U.S. soil in June of 1942. All were captured later that month. Tried by a military commission and found guilty, they were executed on Aug. 8, 1942. 9/11 happened 12 years ago. We have yet to execute any of the terrorists we have in our control. We will never beat these guys.

ATTENTION, PARENTS of public school students. Examine very carefully Common Core that is being taught in Georgia schools. Teaching is being taken away from teachers and is now in the hands of some far-off government types with their own agenda. If you’re involved with your kids’ education, I suggest a talk with them and their teachers is in order.

AIKEN COUNTY NEEDS to have security at the Aiken library. They are mostly women who work there, and it’s not safe for them to go out to a parking lot at dark.

I HEARD THE HOUSE on Circular Drive is now owned by a bank. You would think if a bank owned a piece of property they would want to sell it as soon as possible, but how can they do that when it looks like a dump?!

OUR JAILS ARE FULL of people that are completely capable of performing a day’s work. Why doesn’t the county put these people to work cleaning up our neighborhoods? They could start by cleaning out the ditches on Circular Drive.

THEY DON’T WANT TO patrol downtown (without extra money extorted from downtown businesses) and they don’t want to respond to automobile accidents. Could the sheriff publish a list of what he does want to do?

harley_52
harley_52 09/25/13 - 09:29 pm
"What do others think? "

I think it's wise to understand the ramifications of a real estate transaction before you make it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/25/13 - 10:34 pm
Rant #2

Ranter #2 is absolutely correct. If there is no dwelling on a parcel, then the owner should not have to pay the trash collection fee on their property tax bill. Surely Augusta Cares or 12 On Your Side can help. How can we commenters help to identify this ranter and get this wrong righted?

Sean?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/25/13 - 10:36 pm
Sadly, tragically,

ranter #3 is correct.

BTW, by "these guys," ranter #3 is talking about Islamic extremists.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/25/13 - 10:38 pm
Ranter #5

Instead of security, what the Aiken County library needs to do is close just before dark.

KSL
KSL 09/25/13 - 11:36 pm
Habituated

Really?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 06:30 am
R and R's

Aiken County Library, just close period.

KSL, a lot that is not habituated sounds like a good one, doesn't it? Just joking, but it does appear the owners are getting a bum deal having to pay for garbage service on an empty lot. It doesn't make sense to make people pay for garbage service on vacant lots. Such land is an asset to the community.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 06:57 am
Good Morning "So Sad Augusta" America

I feel really sad about the citizens of ARC that are being handcuff and screwed by there own government for garbage service.

For over a few decades at 05:30 am every Thursday (without fail) a 4 yard dumpster is picked up which supports 4 families. The total monthly fee is $147.00 per month - $37.00 per family. It halls away anything you can put in it, except tires and batteries and even those that get in it by mistake. (Refrigerators, stoves, furniture, etc.. no problem)

Ah, the beauty of Columbia County and county living.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 07:01 am
Sorry

that I made a comment about ARC. I try and stay away from it because of the many good friends that I know that have to endure it.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/26/13 - 07:07 am
Bank Repo on Circular Drive

Call the Bank and tell them that you are filing complaints with the county for their failure to maintain their property and will encourage your commissioner to charge them with demolition by neglect. This has worked for me, normally within 2 days the property gets cleaned up. Quite often with foreclosures, the banks are paying a company to maintain the property and the company gets a little slack in what they are billing for!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 07:08 am
If Stamps Go Any Higher

If the cost of stamps goes any higher, I'm going to drive my letters to their destinations.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 07:34 am
I Just Love A Liberal Mind!

Make you want to start the day off with a large glass of "Crown Royal Reserve"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 07:39 am
I Haven't

used a stamp in 2 years. I do everything by computer and auto-payments.

My mailbox contains only junk mail and maybe with an increase of postage, that may become less.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/26/13 - 07:40 am
Junk mail is the only chance

Junk mail is the only chance for the post office anymore.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 07:43 am
CGEE, I will if you will

CGEE, I will if you will. I'm off today. General Patton used to have two shots of bourbon at breakfast every morning. The taste of whiskey in the morning mixed with the smell of napalm, serenaded by the artillery. Ah, the good old days.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 07:51 am
Columbia County Makes You Pay by Check

Columbia County doesn't let you pay your water bill online. Let me think what else. The nursing home where my mother was wouldn't either, but she died last month so I don't do that any more. Property taxes I pay by check.

Ummm, cable bill which is TV, internet and phone is online. Electricity has to be check. Insurance, credit card bills all automatic with USAA. I can't think of anything else that has to be paid by check. Can you?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 07:49 am
Not To Judge All Muslims By The Actions Of A Few.

I agree, Muslims are a culture of Beauty.

Child Bride Dies in Yemen From Injuries on Wedding Night

Activists are calling for the groom, who is believed to be around 40 years old, and the girl's family, to be arrested so they can face justice.

An eight-year-old child bride has died in Yemen of internal bleeding sustained during her wedding night after being forced to marry a man five times her age, human rights activists have said.

The girl, identified only as Rawan, died in the tribal area of Hardh in northwestern Yemen, which borders Saudi Arabia.

Activists are now calling for the groom, who is believed to be around 40 years old, and the girl's family, to be arrested so they can face justice in the courts. They say arrests would help put a stop to the practice of marrying very young girls to older men, a common practice in the region.

The practice of marrying young girls is widespread in Yemen and has attracted the attention of international rights groups seeking to pressure the government to outlaw child marriages.

More than a quarter of Yemen's females marry before the age of 15, according to a report issued by Human Rights Watch. Yemen passed a law in 2009 which sets the minimum age for marriage at 17 years, however, it was repealed after conservative lawmakers complained that it went against Islamic teachings.

Yemen had previously set the minimum age for marriage at 15 years ago, but parliament annulled that law in the 1990s, saying parents should decide when a daughter marries.

Yemen's gripping poverty plays a role in hindering efforts to stamp out the practice, as poor families find themselves unable to say no to “bride-prices” for their daughter which can be hundreds of dollars.

Tribal customs also play a role, including the belief that a young bride can be shaped into an obedient wife, bear more children and be kept away from temptation.

In September 2010, a 12-year-old Yemeni child-bride died after struggling for three days in labor to give birth, a local human rights organization said.

Bloggers were ripe with criticism for this practice. Commenting on this particular case, one blogger named “Angry Man” posted on his site, "The man is an animal who deserves to be punished severely for his crime. All those who supported such a crime should also be punished," he added.

Another blogger, called Omar, wrote: "Rawan’s family members are not humans. They do not deserve to have children."

Another blogger, called “Sad” wrote, "Her family and her groom could have waited for some time before having this marriage. It was not fair at all and the marriage should not have happened even if some tribes believe that it is a good custom."

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 07:57 am
RM

I don't know about the water bill because I have a 400 foot well that supplies 4 homes. Cost of pump electric averages around $25.00 per month which is on a separate meter.

Everything else you mention is pay by automatic check sent from my Regions Bank. I know you can even set up the water bill too. You can set up any bill that you have. Check out your bank.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 07:58 am
"Forever" Stamps

Just realized my postage stamps are the "Forever" ones that are good even if rates go up. Whoever sold them to me was smarter than I am...yeah I realize that's not saying much. Anyway, I don't have to go buy penny stamps now to stick on.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/26/13 - 08:07 am
Electricity

Hey, RM, you can pay your electricity bills electronically from your bank account.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 08:07 am
Cgee

400 ft. well. Wow, that's pretty deep for a well. Are all wells out on your end of the county that deep?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 08:09 am
Come To Think,

The only bill I receive is my property bill and that is paid by computer bank check. Every other one is received by email. Then automatically paid by check by the bank. What really makes it nice, no more file folders to keep records. Instance record for all payment for a year on when paid and received. At the end of the year, I just print out a copy on each and placed in one file folder. So convenient.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 08:11 am
LL, ahhhh, come to think of I

LL, ahhhh, come to think of I DO. That one was a mistake. Ga Power is an auto bank payment. Water bill isn't. Col. Cty. will also let you pay your property taxes via credit card, but they charge a big fee for the service.

CGEE, I didn't realize you can pay your property taxes by auto bank payment. I only pay once a year in any case.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 08:22 am
Rant about guns

"EVERY TIME THERE is an act of terror, we are reminded not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few. Isn’t it time the 80 million peaceful gun owners are given the same treatment"

Gun ownership is a right, BUT the idea of being allowed to own ANY KIND of gun is taking that right to an extreme that should be illegal!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/13 - 08:22 am
GGRRRR

Yall are getting to me this am....

CGee..I know you have been in the Appling POFC in the last years.....were you visiting someone?? haha

AARRRGGGHHHH

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/13 - 08:24 am
About the empty lot/garbage

They had to tweak the garbage plan here & give credit to empty lot owners...they complained til something was done!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/13 - 08:26 am
Child bride & death of females

I can't post about that because the post would be removed....but think...remove body parts of all men who do this to a young girl....animals are kinder than that ....sick sick sick..

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 08:27 am
I Admitted It

"Smarter than a 5th grader...yeh RM..most workers at POFC will try to teach buyers to buy the Forever stamp...they are smart like that & try to help "slow" customers...

AARRRGGGHHHH"

Heh, heh, heh. Hey, I admitted the postal worker was smarter than I am. I knew this PO-stamp discussion would rile you up.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/13 - 08:29 am
Circular Dr

That is so sad to me....I know the houses on that street...my dad built some......if I could turn back time I would.......everyday I read things that make me sad & it hurts......it didn't have to be this way.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 08:31 am
RM, 400 foot well.

There is a story about that. Try and keep it close to a one liner.

When I moved here and build Cobalt Park in 1974, everybody in this area had very deep wells because all they could produce was 5 gallons per minute and then dry up after 10 minute usage. Thanks to my Grandfather who taught me how to use a dividing rod (I use copper wire instead of a fork popular branch) I walk my 50 acres and found a reading path that come across the road from my neighbor through my property. I told the well digger exactly where to dig. At 250 feet he was
producing the same as all my neighbors and he said I wouldn't get any more. Told him to keep digging and put the remaining 5 20 foot pipes in. I want as much reserve I could get. At 380 feet his rig dropped the pipe over 3 feet and water just came gushing out of the ground. I had hit the same mountain vein the water company on I-20 use to bottle water.

When I was in heavy construction and clearing land for home owners, I use those same rods to help find their water. Many digger thought I was a nut case. One case in Harlem on a 10 acre lot was unable to find water after 4 tries. I fork his property and found a reading right next to his property line. The well digger hit water at 160 feet. Nuff said.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 08:34 am
CGEE, great story. I watched

CGEE, great story. I watched my aunt using a divining "rod" a few times. She used a forked tree branch.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.