Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I JUST NEED TO shout out about the recent award to Paine College by the National Science Foundation to study barriers to science, technology, engineering and math for black women. Why just black women? We have a dearth of math and science aptitude in this country and need to import engineers from other countries to make up the shortfall.

IT’S TIME TO quit talking about how ineffective the Augusta Commission is in working to improve our city; this behavior has been going on ever since it was established. We the people need to develop some tangible solutions to ending the game-playing, voting along racial lines and buck-passing, and if it means taking legal actions, so be it.

PLEASE TELL ME that modesty is making a comeback with wedding dresses. The young lady in Sunday’s paper with the short sleeves and conservative neckline was gorgeous. Ladies, follow her lead, save the desire to look sexy for the honeymoon and put back the respect and decorum that should go without saying at a church service.

THINK OF DOWNTOWN Augusta not as a slum, but as a metropolitan cultural desert, dotted with oases of civilization.

RAVE FOR THE word “slum.” In this case, it is just a word, designating a section of town in need of more funding to get renovated. Mayor Charles A. DeVaney helped Daniel Village get more money to get renovated, by using the phrase “slum and blighted area.” They are just words, and people are carrying this way too far off the deep end. Just think of what the phrase will do to improve Augusta, and quit whining about the word.

RAVES TO EVERYONE responsible for the Ms. Georgia-Carolina Senior Pageant held at the Kroc Center. What a beautiful place. The best invitation for an evening out in years. The contestants were lovely, hip and most talented. Don’t let the senior part fool you they were dynamite times 10.

TO THE WRITER who commented on the coverage of private schools in The Augusta Chronicle: Keep in mind that coverage happens infrequently compared to the public schools. Although we choose to put our children into private school, we still pay taxes that benefit your children.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/23/13 - 04:56 pm
Coming soon to an area store

Copy cats theives will surely watch this training film and be out soon trying the same thing.

Sometimes there is a thing called TOO MUCH Info.

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 06:07 am
Good am you young whipper snappers

A tattooed young man with his pants hanging half off his bottom, two gold front teeth, and a half inch thick gold chainaround his neck; walked into thelocal welfare office to pick up his check.

He marched up to the counter and said,

"Hi. You know, I just H A T E drawing
welfare. I'd really rather have a job.. I don't like

taking advantage of the system, getting

something for nothing."

The social worker behind the counter said "Your

timing is excellent. We Just got a job opening from a

very wealthy old man who wants a chauffeur and
bodyguard for his beautiful daughter. You'll have

to drive around in his 2012 Mercedes-Benz CL, and

he will supply all of your clothes."

"Because of The long hours, meals will be provided.

You'll also be expected to escort the daughter on her

overseas holiday trips. This is rather awkward to say

But you will also have, as part of your job, the
assignment to satisfy her sexual urges as the

daughter is in her mid-20's and has a rather strong

sex drive."

The guy, just plain wide-eyed, said,

"You're joking with me!"

The social worker said, "Yeah, well...You started it!

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 06:14 am
NOW that rant is a mouthfull!!

"IT’S TIME TO quit talking about how ineffective the Augusta Commission is in working to improve our city; this behavior has been going on ever since it was established."

Even though I live elsewhere-- I say you are correct in your thinking!!

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 06:16 am
The r/r says think of Augusta as

a metropolitan cultural desert, dotted with oases of civilization.

Ok...I can do that BUT can RIVERMAN!@!@! That is the question!
:0 )

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 06:25 am
Words are just words & nothing else

I have to disagree with that...tell that to a kid with a strange name.....to the people who love Augusta College....to the many who love the speeches by our greatest Presidents...to a lover of country music like myself.....tell that to some of the readers on here.

Some posters on here make me love words....they use them like a violinist plays his instrument....they tell a story with love.

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 06:29 am
nocnoc my friend

That smash & grab is happening here...in jewelry stores at mall & elsewhere....at hair stores ...that real hair cost some big bucks!

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 06:34 am
I hope so!!

PLEASE TELL ME that modesty is making a comeback with wedding dresses.

Some are out of sight & show too dang much!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/24/13 - 06:57 am
Just think of what the phrase will do to improve Augusta,

Yes, let's call it a slum! Improve Augusta? It's only intention is to get money to renovate a building that should be demolished and all services moved. No, it will not benefit anything other than the Marble Palace. How aptly named!! The Royalty that meets there think that they can do whatever with whatever monies they want without regard for public approval. Name the area I live in a slum and I'll find a new area to pay taxes in!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/24/13 - 07:11 am
So IRS Scandal was a Phony Issue>

Only in DC can you violate several million voters civil rights, because they are of the opposite political party, each action a Criminal FELONY of up to 10+ years.

An then be allowed to Retire ?

Lois Lerner, The IRS official at the heart of IRS tea party scandal, get to retire with full pension likely worth MORE than $50,000 a year, despite an internal review called for her firing.

Last week House Republicans released emails showing Lerner was aware early on that her agency was politically targeting tea party groups

IRS critic and House Oversight chairman Rep. Darrell Issa says the fight isn't over

Remember our President himself told us

this was a PHONY Scandal.

Now how about the other PHONY Scandals still to be investigated?

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 07:09 am
Yep coldbeer

Words mean something...just like the words in this beautiful song..

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/24/13 - 07:22 am
Lerners retirement

Will probably be 6 figures

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 07:30 am
Shake the tree

When they shake the tree about the IRS scandal we will probably see some big nuts fall......if, they ever shake it!

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 07:41 am
ok I was joking at 809am (song)

But not joking on this one....words --words words...listen to them because they feel so right...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/24/13 - 07:45 am
Good Morning "Left Out Me" America

7 R&R's and 5 are Up's and Down's of the great city of Augusta.
So that leaves me pretty naked for comments today except 7.

I feel real good that I no longer pay any school tax to Liberal educate and indoctrinate your children in the public institutions but still pay taxes on the END results.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/24/13 - 08:01 am
"I JUST NEED TO shout out

"I JUST NEED TO shout out about the recent award to Paine College by the National Science Foundation to study barriers to science, technology, engineering and math for black women. Why just black women?"

This has nothing to do with black women or science education. What you are seeing is every taxpayer funded federal agency that has "grant" money being told to look for any excuse to funnel money to Paine to try and save it from the results of the mismanagement of it's own alumni who were hired back as staff.

Right now Paine is on the "save the whales" list and they will probably get any federal grant they apply for.

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 08:04 am
ok...one more song about words

Oh, it's a beautiful thing
Don't think I can keep it all in
I just gotta let you know
What it is that won't let me go

It's your love
It just does somethin' to me
It sends a shock right through me
I can't get enough
And if you wonder
About the spell I'm under
oh It's your love

Better than I was
More than I am
And all of this happened
By takin' your hand

And who I am now
Is who I wanted to be
And now that we're together
I'm stronger than ever
I'm happy and free

Oh, it's a beautiful thing
Don't think I can keep it all in, no
And if you asked me why I changed
All I gotta do is say your sweet name

It's your love
----------------------------------------------------
OOOH that makes me smile....:):)

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/24/13 - 08:06 am
Cobalt, mine go away next

Cobalt, mine go away next year. I have been paying $3200.00+ per year with no children.

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 08:22 am
Oh the headlines in AJC

Makes me wanta cry..

Illegal immigrant numbers are rising (no surprise )

Audit slams Atlanta---anti crime money spent without receipts, matching funds

Sewer fix troubled from the start in DeKalb county--7.7 million dollar project shut down after reports of shoddy work...dang

More killed & that's nothing new for Atlanta.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/24/13 - 08:30 am
British Healthcare

I wonder if the good doctor who raved about British healthcare would care to comment on this:

16,000 cancer patients a year to be denied vital medicine as Government's specialist drugs fund is wound up

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2426738/16-000-cancer-patients...

Coming soon to an Obamacare near you!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/24/13 - 08:40 am
Philly smash and grab

And I get grief for profiling people wearing hoodies in warm weather....

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 08:42 am
Hoodies & burkas

I don't like them & will look & watch any wearing the things...

If the weather is 20 degrees or less---then I will overlook a hoodie....but still watch them.:)

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 08:50 am
ok gotta go

Things to do & places to see.....work doesn't wait either...maybe my ship came in & I didn't know it.....funny how folks who seldom play the lotto win big...just like this guy in South Carolina......of course, when I win I will share my good luck with my many friends on here......luv ya.

Some "might" get more than others....hahah (the sweet ones)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/24/13 - 09:55 am
You mean it costs 3 times as

You mean it costs 3 times as much AND you can't keep your coverage? Obama lied? Say it ain't so.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/24/13 - 11:04 am
Nice.....a thumbs down for

Nice.....a thumbs down for proving a lie. Must be one of the Obamazombies.

countyman
countyman 09/24/13 - 11:21 am
Keep moving forward.

#5.... Some people want to portray Augusta is so different from anywhere else... How can the opportunity zone be good for Martinez, but not for Augusta?

Please explain why Sandy Springs one of the richest cities in the US had no problem using the redevelopment plan?

I don't care whether the word 'slum' is used, but we definitely must continue moving forward with the plan.

The renovation of municipal($18 million already approved by local voters) is one of several projects listed in the redevelopment plan.

What other ideas can help Augusta grow faster than the proposed Walmart market, renovate chamber of commerce, student housing/retail, and biotech park?

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 11:28 am
The bus drivers will suffer

More pay taken from Richmond county school bus drivers.....have you no shame Augusta.....waste & more waste in certain areas but the bus drvers will pay & pay..dang

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 11:31 am
ctyman READ the R/Rs for today

WE are responding to the r/rs...if you don't like the fact that slum is mentioned more than once....why not take it up with AC...the last time I checked they wanted us to stick with the rants as much as possible..of course, some of us venture off course at times, including YOU!

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 11:36 am
True definition of slum

slum

/sləm/

noun

noun: slum; plural noun: slums

a squalid and overcrowded urban street or district inhabited by very poor people.

synonyms:

hovel, rathole; More

ghetto, shantytown, skid row, shacktown

"this is the slum we call home"

a house or building unfit for human habitation.

verb
informal

verb: slum; 3rd person present: slums; past tense: slummed; past participle: slummed; gerund or present participle: slumming

spend time at a lower social level than one's own through curiosity or for charitable purposes.

"rich tourists slumming among the quaintly dangerous natives"

So, this is what you have no trouble with heh?? Well, put it in your pipe & smoke it!

seenitB4 09/24/13 - 11:53 am
Spelling is important

There is a poster in our midst who spells as he/she sees fit....there is 0 reason for that....google---get a spelling book or whatever...we all make mistakes at times...BUT every post is insane...it takes away from the value of the post...imho

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen