Georgia cop has written 800 tickets for texting

Sunday, Sept. 22, 2013 3:22 PM
Last updated 7:42 PM

ATLANTA — If you text and drive in Gwinnett County, a police officer is looking to ticket you.

Police Officer Jessie Myers told WSB-TV that he has issued nearly 800 tickets to motorists for driving while typing on cell phones. He expects to reach 1,000 tickets by the end of the year.

Myers said it’s easiest to catch people in the act at traffic lights. Typing at a red light is illegal if the car is on a roadway.

He also said that Georgia law forbids drivers from using Web-based mapping applications on their phones, too.

tanbaby
tanbaby 09/22/13 - 04:23 pm
oh yea, like people are gonna

oh yea, like people are gonna stop doing it because they get a ticket...just like speeding or no seat belt....

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 09/22/13 - 04:27 pm
Just about the Money

very easy to see him getting that many tickets if he is also doing it for those using their navigation on the phone which I think is too picky. Hey rack those dollars cause it "saves lives", yeah right!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/22/13 - 04:30 pm
Strange

That's actually pretty strange. He must overlook a lot of other infractions to be writing that many tickets for texting. Texting at a stoplight shouldn't even be a ticketable offense.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 09/22/13 - 04:39 pm
Ticketing

I wonder what time frame was involved getting that many tickets written.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/22/13 - 04:48 pm
Hold up a minute please

I have some say in this since my tax dollars pay his salary...we have more than 800,000 folks here....the biggest school system in the state of Ga.....we want him to give tickets for this,....we have had deaths on top of deaths with texting idiots.....even while stopped at a light they are distracted...one of the worst deaths was a teen girl driving through a neighborhood st & not paying attention while on her phone...she killed a toddler & gravely injured the others in the family....
WRITE EM UP!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/22/13 - 04:50 pm
A downer

Everyone of yall got a downer...you are welcome!

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/22/13 - 05:43 pm
Missing tags? Defective missing tail lights? Moving violations

Missing tags? Defective missing tail lights? Moving violations

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/22/13 - 05:44 pm
Not tags or tail lights required in CC. Especially trucks.

Not tags or tail lights required in CC. Especially trucks.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/22/13 - 05:45 pm
Wal Mart mini trailers are exempt from laws in CC.

Wal Mart mini trailers are exempt from laws in CC.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/22/13 - 05:45 pm
Lawn Service vehicles are exempt from laws in CC.

Lawn Service vehicles are exempt from laws in CC.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/22/13 - 06:25 pm
haha

downers are happy folks

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/22/13 - 06:48 pm
Well, I learned 2 new things

Well, I learned 2 new things within this article. I had no idea...never even thought about it...that you weren't allowed to text at a red light nor use a mapping system on your phone for directions. Guilty as sin for both! Gonna be sure and let my family know.
It may be picky, but it's the law.

crc
crc 09/22/13 - 06:56 pm
Texting

I'm not sure how it's proved that one was texting? With that being said, I too was unaware of the not being able to text at a red light or to be able to use maps on phones.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/22/13 - 07:59 pm
Yeah I am curious to know how he proves

that they are texting? He can't see your phone records without a warrant. You could easily say you were looking for a number because it is not illegal to talk and drive. A good lawyer can beat this. That being said I am all for ticketing texting while driving but if you are gonna be that invasive in ticketing in Richmond County all your deputies will be the first ticket receivers....

mosovich
mosovich 09/22/13 - 10:00 pm
Cell phones..

The worst thing to happen to man kind.. How many people would be alive today if it wasn't for cell phones? One day while you're driving, count the no. of people you see on the phone.. You'll be blown away, probably 75% or more.. I did it at an intersection, and it was 100%!! Amazing.. All those people are clueless as to what is going on around them.. I'm not saying I'm innocent, but I don't text and drive and do speed dial only..

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/22/13 - 10:30 pm
I like Fort Gordon's policy.

I like Fort Gordon's policy. If I understand it correctly, no one is supposed to be using cell phones at all while driving. Period.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/23/13 - 05:58 am
One Local Question

How have been written in ARC?

Because from what I have seen since the law came into effect,
this would solve at least 10% of the revenue problems for RCSO

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/23/13 - 06:02 am
Regarding evidence

If the LEO see's you texting, like any fellow driver can, then it is a crime committed in plain view. He can then proceed to document the time, the location and could confiscate the phone as evidence in some situations.
Eg. Traffic death.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/23/13 - 06:25 am
I Would Rather See

someone pushing me 80 in the left lane than see someone tailgating me with a cell glued to an ear.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/23/13 - 06:47 am
Questions to put it in prospective:

Have you have ever missed a light because of a texting Fool?

Have you ever had to change lanes because the person texting or on a cell phone was lane roaming?

Have you ever came up on a person doing 30mph on Interstate and had to change lanes only to see them on a cell phone?

Have you ever been almost run over in a crosswalk by a person on a cellphone?

Have you ever been a passenger in a moving car and the driver starts texting?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/23/13 - 07:35 am
Cell Phones

This past week a young lady totaled her vehicle, and suffered a fractured spine while reaching for her cell phone. Not long ago a young lady who had just graduated high school wrecked and burned to death while texting. These are just 2 examples in the CSRA. I watch people as I drive and 75 to 80% are texting or "Looking up a number" while driving. I've had to drive off into ditches, medians, road shoulders and exit ramps that I had no intention of taking to avoid their inattention. I've seen people sit through traffic signals, stop for several minutes at stop signs, run red lights all while texting. People who text while driving are 3 times more dangerous than Drunk Drivers. In my opinion the penalty for texting while driving should be $1000.00 and 40 hours Community Service for the first offense and increase by doubling thereafter!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/23/13 - 07:39 am
coldbeer

I remember reading about the death on Heph McBean rd area...so sad.

etlinks
20841
etlinks 09/23/13 - 07:46 am
Its bad enough talking on a

Its bad enough talking on a cell while driving but texting is just plain stupid.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 09/23/13 - 08:45 am
Gotta love Bluetooth!

Yes - it's dangerous to be handling a cell phone while driving. Knowing that a vast majority of people WILL use their cell phone while driving, it would be great if all cars would come standard with Bluetooth or similar technology - that way you can dial a call or even "read" an incoming text message with verbal commands. That would be no different than having a conversation with someone who's in the car with you. Love mine!

jimmymac
jimmymac 09/23/13 - 09:01 am
CELLS

Cell phones have created a whole category of bad driving habits. They should be banned while the car is in motion. Nothing is that important that the driver can't pull over to make a call. Texting while driving is absolutely stupid. To take your eyes off the road to send a text message is insane and should have a punishment as severe as drunk driving. Follow behind some of these idiots and you see why they can't use turn signals. It's because they have a phone held in one hand and the wheel in the other. A law should be made to force manufacturers to scramble cell signals when a car is running.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/23/13 - 10:52 am
Cellphone use that leads to

Cellphone use that leads to careless driving should be treated the same as DUI, with same fines, loss of license, etc. ; since it is proven that the driver presents an equal or worse danger to the public.

As far as mapping is concerned, it is no different than using a GPS except that integrated GPS will not allow inputs when the car is in motion. Both the Android and iPhone apps have voice prompts. There are mounts that you can use to place the phone on the dash for easy visibility.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/23/13 - 10:54 am
RHSC

My vehicle has voice activated everything. (Ford Sync)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 11:05 am
"The worst thing to happen to

"The worst thing to happen to man kind.. How many people would be alive today if it wasn't for cell phones?"

Interesting, but you would also have to subtract from that figure, the number of people who's lives were saved BECAUSE of cellphones.

myfather15
myfather15 09/23/13 - 11:23 am
Redhead

I agree, it's not much different than having a conversation with anothe person in the car; but that is dangerous as well for some people. Because it takes their concentration off their surroundings. Many crashes are avoid because of paying close attention. It might not be YOU who runs the red light, but if you have a green light and are looking both ways; then see a vehicle going so fast you KNOW they can't stop for their red light, maybe you don't pull out because you're paying attention. This has happened to me numerous times over the years; where I avoided a wreck by paying attention, where the wreck wouldn't have been my fault anyway; but I still avoided injury to myself or others.

So bluetooths aren't a LOT better!! The driver is still distracted. Ask the lady who just got 20 years about distracted driving. That's what she was suppposedly doing, was talking to other passengers and didn't realize the stop sign was coming up. She was found not guilty of DUI.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 09/23/13 - 11:52 am
@myfather

That's true too - unfortunately, you can have a driver that has no one in the car with them, not on a cell phone, etc. and they still can be distracted..there are just bad drivers all around!! Some of the worst driving I have ever seen is from people who try to eat and drive!