Rants & Raves

HUGE RAVE TO Bernard working the Goodwill truck on Robert C. Daniel Parkway on Sept. 3. I accidentally dropped my wallet into the donation box I gave him. When I frantically returned minutes later, he had my wallet safe and waiting for me, with cash and credit cards intact. I hope his honesty and integrity are returned to him threefold!

RANT TO RICHMOND County (the next Detroit?). Poor or no leadership by our mayor really leads to great disappointment from someone who loves Augusta. After I saw our property taxes go up and the state of the city decline, Augusta is most likely going to lose another taxpayer to Columbia County. Thanks a lot, Deke.

RANT TO THE BOARD of Education. With all the budget cuts I see an officer driving his Board of Education vehicle to his home in South Carolina. Why does he not pick his vehicle up like school bus drivers? We, the taxpayers, are paying for the vehicle and gas for his transportation to and from work.

THERE ARE THREE dogs on Tuttle Street that are starving to death. Calls to Animal Control, nothing done; calls to Augusta Cares, nothing done; e-mails to the mayor’s office, nothing done. Somebody, please do something. I would feed them but I was told by Animal Control not to go on their property. Help!

MY WATER BILL went up sky high, and I didn’t even use a sprinkler. I called to complain, but it doesn’t do any good.

I AM SICK AND tired of tailgaters. I have a cure. I tap my brakes gently and turn my flashers on. If they are paying attention, they will back off because they don’t know what is about to happen.

WHY DON’T WE use prisoners to clear roads and parks? They are being treated like guests instead of criminals. Give them something constructive to do.

PRESIDENT OBAMA said “a strike in Syria would not involve boots on the ground; it would not be like Afghanistan or Iraq.” Then it must be like Libya: four Americans including the ambassador killed, our Embassy trashed and the administration lying.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/18/13 - 07:41 pm
Tailgaters

I feel your pain; but the flip side is if you pull out in front of me, you best be going the speed limit by the time I get there, else we will be bumper to bumper with me cursing a blue streak.

sassylassie
sassylassie 09/18/13 - 10:31 pm
About the dogs; get several

About the dogs; get several if your friends or neighbors to call Animal Control about the dogs as well. Do not give up!! Have you tried calling Richmond County Sheriffs Department in regards to a neglect case? Perhaps if the rest of us knew the address we could help. Or if the owners saw their address noted here it may wake them up.
Have you tried 12 on Your Side? Or Augusta Cares?
i would call Animal Control and request to meet with the director about an emergency situation. If not, GO to Animal Control. Take photos with you. Document when/if the owner is home, and if not, they have been ABANDONED.
Sometimes we have to use different vocabulary to reinforce the urgency!!
But whatever you do---DON'T GIVE UP! You are the only voice they have!!!

tanbaby
tanbaby 09/19/13 - 03:22 am
about the tailgaters: if you

about the tailgaters: if you would stay in the right lane, other drivers would not tailgate...don't get in the left lane if you are not driving as fast as the others in the left lane....i got behind someone yesterday going about 50 in the left lane and they WOULD not get over. when i got close to my exit, which was their exit also, they got over...you should have been in that lane already !!!! and i suspect the prisoners aren't used to clean up (which they should be--they used to and i don't think it harmed them at all) is because some lawyer would probably say it's "cruel and unusual" punishment or "against their civil rights" or some BS like that....

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/19/13 - 06:29 am
No gripe on the South Side about Prison Clean-up Labor

If it was not for prison labor cleaning ditches and mowing and doing things, little Basic scenic beautification would get done out here anymore.

BTW: To The Prison Guard
working the crew up a down Gracewood hill Wed.

They did a great job.
Note: The shorter 21-25 y/o Darker Skin prisoner working so hard to be 1st to top the hill ahead of you and out of your sight, had a pair females in a small faded color car doing ride by visits with him.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/19/13 - 06:59 am
Does The President understand $$$$$

In a speech at the Business Roundtable headquarters in Washington, D.C., Obama dismissed concerns about raising the debt ceiling by noting that it'd been done so many times in the past:

"Now, this debt ceiling -- I just want to remind people in case you haven't been keeping up -- raising the debt ceiling, which has been done over a hundred times, does not increase our debt; it does not somehow promote profligacy."

To this I say:
Remember what happened between 2000 & 2007 when Americans over borrowed? Sooner or later someone has to pay the piper.

Profligacy Def:
1.) recklessly extravagant or wasteful in the use of resources.
2.) Wildly extravagant

So can anyone think of any Wildly extravagant spending in the last 4.5 years?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 06:54 am
I say use them too....a good rant!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 06:57 am
Gracewood Hill

If you only knew noc noc how many memories that brought up to me....Instead of Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino....we sang Gracewood Hill.....
I found my thrill
On Blueberry Hill
On Blueberry Hill
When I found you

The moon stood still
On Blueberry Hill
And lingered until
My dream came true

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 07:01 am
You really need a strong mayor

But who who who.....give me a name.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/19/13 - 07:04 am
Gracewood

I go to Gracewood quite a bit. I would love for nocnoc or seenit to tell me how to recognize Gracewood Hill. Street names, businesses, landmarks — tell me how to know I'm on the hill.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/19/13 - 07:05 am
Give Him The Gavel

I'll bet our current mayor felt all tough and macho when he gaveled Al Gray to sit down last Tuesday.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/19/13 - 07:09 am
The South Side used

As for Gracewood Hill, it was the 1st time I broke 100++mph.
using my Mom's AMC 454 Ambassador.

The closed up Tidewater Hospital grounds were the lovers lane.

Aw!!!! the recklessness of youth

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 07:12 am
Gracewood & Tobacco Road area

Tobacco Rd crosses Hy 25.....at the top of the hill take a left....ride down about a mile & turn left again.....just a block or so down this road was a small pond on Gracewood property...it was a dating area for the teens long ago.....romantic :)

I remember Tidewater area too...but we didn't use that. haha

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 07:14 am
LLamb

You will know you are on the hill when you FEEL it!!

Then cruise down the other side....hahheh

Young Fred
Young Fred 09/19/13 - 07:45 am
Being a Carolina boy -

If we weren't at the Hill Top Drive-in, we were parking at the Blue-Hole in Graniteville.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/19/13 - 07:51 am
Knowing Gracewood Hill

If your old cars transmission was slipping you walked up the hill.
If you car had less than 1/8 tank of gas you walked up the hill.

US-25 and Tobacco Rd was the Top By Sgt. Cartee's Fina or Sinclar Gas Station by the Flashing light near the Dea's store. The Beacon was just starting the down side towards Hephzibah.

Headed down you passed the Drew's Fair Compound , Lovers Lane 1 (Fairview Dr) a mile down the dirt rd by the Water tank.) Tidewater that was Lover Lane #2 and between the closed up Tidewater an a little further down of the right was Lover Lane #3 the Gracewood Ponds by the Directors homes. GSSP Security Mr. Sullivan started running us off on Fridays nights after he learned his daughter was dating. Lover Lane #4 dirt road on the right about 200 yards up from the AMVET club, back down and near the Railroad tracks.

Gracewood Hill ended at the Wise Drive-in and the last easy to reach Lovers Lane #5.

There was 1 more lover lane on Gracewood Hill but you had to let some air out of your tires and use the railroad track to get to the field which was about 300 yard right between Lakeside Dr. and Jack Kelly. That was the do not disturb serious section.

Have I missed any anybody?

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/19/13 - 08:02 am
BTW: Kids and young adults born after 1980

We knew how to have fun, we knew how to party, hang out and make out.

We did not shoot or stab our rivals. We held a good old fashion slug feast using our hands. Not knives and guns or baseball bats.
Loser were losers and winners were winners but in my group it usually established a pecking order and we learned our places.

Many a girl even then understood brains meant, ethics, money and character.

We did not have gangs that war'd against each other (except some good nature'd pranks on Friday football nights on opposing teams)

We did not have 3 out 4 births out of wedlock, because we had and understood honor, respect and daddy's shotgun.

So where did y'all screw up?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 08:03 am
South Carolina won the big 400 million

Someone is holding the big ticket....bought in S Carolina...but we all know some Georgians shop there too....we could be posting with the winner on these pages...Augusta--Mtz-Evans-Aiken-N Augusta....where is KSL this am?? Congrats to the winner!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/19/13 - 08:09 am
Prison labor

They cannot be compelled to work; but in a tiered system where voluntary work is allowed for the most trustworthy, prisons have a lot fewer disciplinary issues. Those inmates are allowed to stay in dormitory like quarters and work at various tasks within the prison, earning a dollar or two per day, or store credits. Of course, lifers and others incarcerated for more serious offenses like rape, murder, etc. are not eligible. They are tier 4 or 5, with others scattered through 1, 2, 3; depending on their attitude and prison record. Just talking back to an officer or arguing with another inmate can get you booted from tier 1.

It is a great system for the "carrot and stick" method of getting conformance, and those very few prisons using it are paroling better adjusted inmates who have learned a work ethic, and the principle of individual responsibility to steer clear of trouble.

Don't ask for references. I watch the Lockup documentary series all the time. It isn't this staged reality crap.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/19/13 - 08:19 am
"Augusta is most likely going

"Augusta is most likely going to lose another taxpayer to Columbia County."

Yep, I know how you feel. The only "good" news for me is that the "city's" contempt for Southeast Richmond County, along with their water plant and chlorine tank they built next door, have lowered the REAL MARKET VALUE of my property so low that I don't have that much to lose if I have to walk off and abandon it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/19/13 - 08:24 am
Coincidence

By a strange coincidence, I was actually on Lakeside Dr. yesterday morning. I did not get far enough down it to see the lake (which I found on mapquest today after reading those descriptions you gave). Interesting.

I wonder about the history of that Tidewater Hospital you were mentioning. Supposedly there is nothing left of it.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 09:04 am
Rant about Obama and Syria

"PRESIDENT OBAMA said “a strike in Syria would not involve boots on the ground; it would not be like Afghanistan or Iraq.” Then it must be like Libya: four Americans including the ambassador killed, our Embassy trashed and the administration lying"

Is there anything that the average voter could do if he sent "boots-on-the-ground"?? Probably not, but this time I believe the will of the great majority would be the push not to send in troops. As for the Embassys, in my opinion, ALL OF THE Embassys in Syria, Libya, Eygept(spl), Afganistan, Iraq, Iran, and possibly EVEN RUSSIA should be vacated!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 09:06 am
Tidewater Hosp & Windsor Springs water

The Tidewater was used as a hospital for alcoholics & etc....from my memory bank...just like the water from Windsor Springs it has Gone With The Wind....
I just got off the phone with my daughter & we talked about the ole times & Gracewood Hill area....it was her dad I was spooning with at Gracewood Hill...soo see "good" things have come from Gracewood Hill...I have the proof with my beautiful daughters...

talk to ya later.....♥

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 09:08 am
Rant about foreign policy

"I DIDN’T THINK there was anything worse than Obama’s economic policies and Obamacare until I saw his foreign policy. This is indeed “amateur hour.”"

As much as I hate to say it, this rant is very true!! In my opinion, Obama's first big mistake was to leave troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. The rest of it is NOTHING to write home about either!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 09:13 am
Rant about Sen. Graham

"EVERY TIME THERE is a chance of the United States using military force to attack another nation, Lindsey Graham is leading the charge. What is it with this guy?"

In my opinion, Graham and McCain see this Syrian thing as a possible treat to The US. There IS A GREAT majority that does not agree with this thinking. May be they have stock in the arms industry!! ( LOL )

KSL
KSL 09/19/13 - 10:14 am
seenit

All over fussing at my husband. He was just in Lexington on business. It could have been he. I have to beg him to buy lottery tickets. Grrrrrrr!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 12:26 pm
How insane can we be

Making kids go back to failing schools to achieve the "quota" of color coded schools..INSANE!!

Read this & you will see why we have such failure in our school system....when they find something that works they dismantle it with no thought of the damage they are doing to the kids...
If this insanity doesn't stop we won't have educated children anymore...just a token of abuse in a color coded insane world!

myfather15
myfather15 09/19/13 - 02:16 pm
President Obama and the administration

Has not declared a CLEAR CUT goal for an attack on Syria; besides "to attack their chemical weapons and their ability to lauch chemical weapons". As far as the END RESULT, they haven't even touched what they want to have happen.

IF, their end goal is to assist Al Qaeda in removing Assad; they will probably not need "Boots on the ground" as we witnessed in Libya. So, I'm buying the "No boots on the ground". My BIGGER question is; are we honestly ready to HELP Al Qaeda topple another middle eastern Country? Again; We helped them topple Libya, now they are in charge of Egypt, Libya and if we help them here; they will have Syria!! Honestly, if you lived in Israel, would you feel all warm and fuzzy about this? Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood collapsing all around you?

All I can say is "When ye shall see JerUSAlem encompassed by armies, know the time is nigh."

Young Fred
Young Fred 09/19/13 - 02:29 pm
seenitb4

Despicable isn’t it? I wouldn’t doubt the teachers unions were pressuring the US DoJ to bring this action.

How informed individuals still believe Lefties are compassionate is beyond me!

Despicable doesn’t really do justice to how these people should be described.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 03:45 pm
young fred

So right you are..

It is arrogant
selfish
uncaring
ignorant
If anyone should raise a ruckus ..these parents should..

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs