Rants & Raves

A RANT FOR THE Richmond County Board of Education for still doing the same stuff that doesn’t work. There’s more to teaching than... standards-based classrooms, data-driven schools, collaboration, and now a new lesson plan format that is so time-consuming and ridiculous that it takes the soul out of real teaching. Remember the true art of teaching? Ronald Reagan told Mikhail Gorbachev, “Tear down this wall!” And the world changed. Well, Dr. Roberson, “Let the teachers teach. Let them really teach!” Stop, school board, from being a follower and start being a leader in education.

WHAT? A WHOLE article (Aug. 24) about Greenbrier High School’s football loss and not a single positive word about Cross Creek’s win? The school has struggled on the field for years ... they win a big one ... and, nothing? Shame on The Chronicle.

PROPER BEHAVIOR AT the Columbia County Library actually starts with the staff. Yes, they are nice people, but they speak entirely too loud at the circulation and reference desks, thus setting the tone for the surrounding areas. Until they step it up, patrons are going to start stepping away.

AUGUSTA COMMISSION members need to start penalizing businesses that do not up keep their property. I live on the south side. I get out there and pick up trash trying to make the south side look cleaner.

WHEN IS THE CITY going to repave the main street of Augusta and make big sewer drain covers level with the pavement? It makes the city look bad every day.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/07/13 - 07:23 pm
"...make the sewer drain covers

... level with the pavement..."

Manhole covers?

That's your singular complaint on downtown?

Really?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/07/13 - 07:34 pm
RE: First rant

The concept of actual teaching died with the elevation of every kooky fad method for instilling a political agenda, the sanctification of irrelevant standards, and testing not tied to actual acheivement. Education isn't coming back until it's wrested from oversight from our own version of Soviet-style Central Committee.

As for Dr. Roberson, doing something- look forward another year of an unengaged impotent figurehead.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/07/13 - 08:27 pm
Full article on Greenbrier High School’s football loss

and not a single positive word about Cross Creek’s win....)

South Side vs. Rich side....
MAYBE that explains it?

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/07/13 - 08:27 pm
Better question.

When is South Augusta going to get some repaving and real repairs?

How about repaving and repairs equal to 1/2 of the annual MASTER'S road and street Touch Ups, that are done every year from Jan-Apr. ?

Also to be fair
What about fixing the developing Sink Hole in the Center lane of Reynolds St. just passed 13th, headed towards River Watch. Just 1 Saw Horse is not realistic for 3 heavily traveled lanes.

mikefishman
mikefishman 09/07/13 - 10:30 pm
work together to help each other

Awesome---
I have never seen such patience and compassion until I saw an Asian man helping an African American man. Turns out they were from the VA medical center blind department. Augusta needs more people like "John Joe".

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/08/13 - 05:06 am
To this

"I live on the south side. I get out there and pick up trash trying to make the south side look cleaner."

Thank you...now we just need a few thousand more just like YOU!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/08/13 - 05:12 am
If only we had the magic bullet

"A RANT FOR THE Richmond County Board of Education for still doing the same stuff that doesn’t work."-

How do we instill the desire to learn in children...my idea is reading & reading some more.....soon they read because they are hungry for the adventure of learning.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/08/13 - 06:52 am
Straight from Bloomberg's mouth!

"The way to help those who are less fortunate is, number one, to attract more very fortunate people. They are the ones that pay the bills. "

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/08/13 - 08:14 am
Go Dawgs

"I predict a Carolina win by at least 14 points." Riverman 9-7-13 @ 5:08.
Man, that wasn't even in hand grenade range! Better stay away from Vegas.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/08/13 - 09:10 am
JTF

Someone said River would wear a tutu if Ga won....did you see him at the game dressed with his tutu? PIC

hehe heheh heh

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/13 - 09:21 am
Sports Fans

JTF, I eat my words on that one. Wow, some UGA offense. I was there and thought I'd die in that heat. I was at a tailgate from about 1 until game time and regretted the beer. The crowd was tremendous. The lines were still filing in after the kick-off. Brendan Douglas ran well at the end. I was telling everyone around us I knew him...although that isn't exactly true. The folks at Harvards Liquors talk about UGA football and him when I visit them so I figured with Douglas being from Augusta, it was close enough to say I knew him.

JTF, Clowney sure got tired again, didn't he?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/13 - 09:22 am
SeenIt, I want the ballet

SeenIt, I want the ballet shoes to go with my tutu.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/08/13 - 11:03 am
RM

I'm sure you would be lovely in the COMPLETE ensemble..:)

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/08/13 - 12:02 pm
"sewer drain covers level

"sewer drain covers level with the pavement"

It's part of the "slum" look they are going for.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/08/13 - 02:56 pm
River

Glad you had a good time. Yep, two surprises. Clowney was no factor and Spurrier quit on his team.

corgimom
corgimom 09/08/13 - 04:17 pm
Dichotomy, great comment!

Dichotomy, great comment!

harley_52
harley_52 09/08/13 - 04:49 pm
"Spurrier quit on his team."

I noticed that too. Very strange. I think he gave up after they missed the TD on that 4th down play on the 1 yard line.

Spurrier has always reminded me of J.R. Ewing. He has that "stick it in your eye" kind of attitude and he does it with a gleam in his eye and that little smirk that lets you know how much he enjoys it.

He lost all his steam last night.

KSL
KSL 09/08/13 - 05:27 pm
happychimer
happychimer 09/08/13 - 06:04 pm
I hope so.

I hope so.

KSL
KSL 09/08/13 - 06:25 pm
I thought it was funny, and

I thought it was funny, and clever.

happychimer
happychimer 09/08/13 - 06:30 pm
Trashing people is not funny

Trashing people is not funny or clever.

KSL
KSL 09/08/13 - 06:36 pm
And you have to admit, Obama

And you have to admit, Obama stepped in it when he said that if he had a son he could look like Trayvon. Only he meant the cute little 12 year old, not the 17 year old thug.

harley_52
harley_52 09/08/13 - 06:36 pm
"Trashing people is not funny or clever."

Maybe not, but it represents about 80% of the posts on most of these threads.

KSL
KSL 09/08/13 - 06:37 pm
It is when it is Obama.

It is when it is Obama.

KSL
KSL 09/08/13 - 06:45 pm
Obama is making such a mess

Obama is making such a mess of everything, it helps to laugh. It is medicinal.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/08/13 - 08:37 pm
I'm just catching up

Lightening bugs in Sep - RM, did you and JTFs meet up under the flag pole?