Rants & Raves

ERIC TURNER IS truly a perfect role model. He is not a famous athlete or entertainer, but certainly one who deserves accolades for his work ethic and strength to “never give up.”

TO ALL THE PEOPLE complaining about the number of articles in The Augusta Chronicle about the University of Georgia: Get over it because when you think Georgia, you think about the Bulldogs.

THE IGNORANT person trying to blame Obamacare, like all other diehard Republicans, really needs to use facts instead of emotional lies. If you think it’s bad that you can’t get better health care, see the messages by others who had worse amounts to pay for insurance.

‘THE CHRONICLE’ editorial a few weeks ago was foolish to say that the GRU name must be changed. You can’t beat a dead horse any more; move on away from the name. How about an investigation into the facts of what is wrong, such as the financial aid pitiful situation for thousands of students?

ERIC TURNER IS A great example of how people need to make the efforts to work where they can and not just sit on the label of “handicap,” waiting for handouts. My daddy also taught me to work as hard as I can at as many jobs as I can and not to let anyone say I was too disabled to work. I had worked up to four jobs at a time when I could get the extra work just to save up for my future in case my feet got more twisted and too painful to work using them for walking. May we “Eric Turners” be able to find work to do.

SYLVIA COOPER, I am disappointed in your column where you pointed to black commissioners as needing to work on white items. Many items are both black and white that are worked on. You need to name specific “white items” that you feel are not being worked on, to be more fair. You usually are.

I WOULD LIKE to thank the young men who helped me when my car broke down in front of McDonald’s on Washington Road. It was so kind to help me push my car to safety. God bless you.

I’M CURIOUS AS to why is it when something happens in west Augusta it is not labeled west Augusta, but when something happens in south Augusta you are quick to point that out. I believe each section should be treated equally.

THE ONLY THING that Obama is doing right is keeping us out of a needless war. Let’s keep it that way. Syria is none of our business.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/07/13 - 07:21 am
What's this?

Border dash had 1000's of people gathered on a 1st Friday, for a major entertainment event, food, families, dogs, music and Major Sports Rivalry issues.

NOT 1 stabbing, shooting, Dog or Cat Fight, or a major crime occurring. Based on the Jail report, RCSO recent bookings website or Augusta Crimes as of 6:45am this morning.

It begs some questions.

Why does the typical 1st Friday event have such problems?

What is causing the problems at the 1st Friday events, that are absent from the Border Dash events?

Could it be the reasons they are gathered?

Could it be the differences in demographics and civility of those attending?

Well, What?

rebellious
rebellious 09/07/13 - 07:29 am
Slumtown

NonNoc,
Once people realized they were in a slum, they started acting appropriately?

Just Guessing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 07:36 am
1 monkey running the show :)

What ya need here is a Spunky monkey...not a regular monkey...heck we are loaded with them...might even find a few on here at times...haha

It takes guts to go against the grain....sometimes thinking outside the box can shake up the same ole out dated ways....when something is broken (& we know downtwn gov is) you have to shake the tree & let the nuts fall to the ground.

As much as I get tired of countymans posts at times ...I do realize that WORDS mean something.....not just to kids but to all of us....I'm betting on a spunky monkey coming forward..change the wording ....(have to go for a few mins..)

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/07/13 - 07:56 am
River

Meet me @ the flagpole at halftime. I will have a red UGA shirt on. Your need for help with the stroke reminds me of a joke. A guy taking a wee wee gets bit on the pee pee by a snake. His buddy calls 911. The operator tells him to cut an X on the bitten spot and suck the poison out. The guy who is bit yells what did they say, what did they say. The buddy answered, they said you were gonna die.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/07/13 - 07:58 am
River

Drive safe, I'm out. Have a great day and Go Dawgs!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 08:19 am
Now now JTF

You know you couldn't let River die!!

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet & save a life..LOL

I needed some laffs this am..thanks guys/gals

Good am shrimp & peach.....:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/13 - 09:01 am
Good Morning "A Jokyee Day For AC" America

HOLY E-MAIL

One day God was looking down at earth and saw all of the rascally behavior that was going on...

So He called His angels and sent one to earth for a time.
When the angel returned, he told God, 'Yes, it is bad on earth; 95% are misbehaving and only 5% are not.

God thought for a moment and said, 'Maybe I had better send down a second angel to get another opinion.

So God called another angel and sent her to earth for a time.
When the angel returned she went to God and said, 'Yes, it's true. The earth is in decline; 95% are misbehaving, but 5% are being good...'
God was not pleased.

So HE decided to e-mail the 5% who were good, because He wanted to encourage them, and give them a little something to help them keep going.

Do you know what the e-mail said?

Okay, I was just wondering, because I didn't get one either.

I guess the only way I will know will be E-mail the SMNCICBHO(M).

(Thanks Gina)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/13 - 08:59 am
By The Way

The Cobalt Park Pavilion has been remodeled. Anybody that would like to use it for any occasion (except table performance) is more than welcome. No charge.

I don't have much to Rant & Rave today, except my Rant for the work I have to do around here.. So will monitor you all later.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 09:07 am
No charge??

With all that work you have put in it maybe you should charge a little something.....
Some would pay to have a safe & clean area for reunions & such...years ago we had reunions at the ole place in Bath......way out by Blythe area.....my granmoms home place.....they had a plane on the grounds & the kids loved playing with that ole wreck of a plane...don't know if that is still there or not but I can remember some great times spent there....

Too bad we can't relive some memories again.....talk toya later guys....gotta get ready for the game & GA winning!!!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/07/13 - 09:58 am
I've suspected as much.

Market Watch came out with their annual list of the most expensive states to own a car; most people when asked, guess it to be California or Massachusetts. They don't live in Georgia, obviously.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/07/13 - 10:41 am
FOURpeat heading to Athens ...

Go Gamecocks! Nuff said.

jimmymac
jimmymac 09/07/13 - 11:50 am
RAVE AND RANT

Rave to Eric for overcoming what would have been a handicap for most people but not for him.

Rant to the last poster for saying Obama is trying to keep us out of a war in Syria. Put the Obama kool aid down and pay attention. He's the one who's desperately trying to get us into that mess.

countyman
20610
countyman 09/07/13 - 11:54 am
The normal First Friday

The normal First Friday doesn't have many problems associated with crime. Please stop letting the local media fool you guys..

There's 12 First Friday events in the year, but they'll focus on the 1 event that produced some fighting.

daphne3520
daphne3520 09/07/13 - 12:20 pm
RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/07/13 - 01:05 pm
Just one incident

Are you sure about that?

countyman
20610
countyman 09/07/13 - 01:30 pm
Deke Copenhaver is probably

Deke Copenhaver is probably the greatest mayor in Augusta's history. Two straight elections with over 60% of the vote..

I think some people are mad, because downtown will ALWAYS be the most important area in the CSRA. Augusta is finally beginning to do some positive things, but were still behind other cities. The leaders in Greenville, Savannah, Chattanooga, Charleston, Winston Salem, Durham, Knoxville, etc.

Certain types of companies, artist, restaurants, boutiques, etc will only locate in urban, hip, pedestrian friendly, cosmopolitan, eclectic, vibrant, etc areas.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/07/13 - 01:34 pm
R&R # 3

"THE IGNORANT person trying to blame Obamacare, like all other diehard Republicans, really needs to use facts instead of emotional lies. If you think it’s bad that you can’t get better health care, see the messages by others who had worse amounts to pay for insurance"

I AGREE!! There is a lot of ignorance and party loyalty about Obamacare!! I can not BELIEVE the number of supposed caring people that don't think ALL people should have access to health insurance!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/07/13 - 01:52 pm
Something to think about

Green Bay WI, a city with approximately 1/2 the population of Augusta can support an NFL team. Augusta can't keep an arena team. Keep telling us how great Augusta is.

I do like it here. In fact I recently moved from Columbia county to Augusta. But please keep it real.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/07/13 - 01:54 pm
Emperorcare

We will find out in October when you can actually buy insurance from the exchanges. But remember, it isn't going to be free.

harley_52
harley_52 09/07/13 - 04:27 pm
"Green Bay WI, a city with approximately 1/2 the population...

....of Augusta can support an NFL team. Augusta can't keep an arena team. Keep telling us how great Augusta is."

I don't want to sound like Countyman here, but check your population statistics. I think you may be comparing apples to oranges. Brown County, Wisconsin (the county in which Green Bay resides) is about 50K larger than ARC. The city of Green Bay itself is listed as about 105K whereas the city of Augusta is probably about half that amount, though I can't find a separate listing.

The Packers are not supported by tax dollars. They are owned by stockholders. Stock last sold for $250/share. The last stock sale was in 2011. Before that sale, there were 4,750,934 shares held by 112,015 fans, none of whom are allowed to hold more than 200 shares each.

The key is that fans want to buy the stock. They aren't legally allowed to profit from it and no dividends are paid. If Augusta had done the same thing a hundred years ago, maybe we'd have such a successful franchise, but alas....Riverman wasn't around at that time. :)

corgimom
corgimom 09/07/13 - 10:24 pm
"Deke Copenhaver is probably

"Deke Copenhaver is probably the greatest mayor in Augusta's history. "

HAHAHAHA, this is THE FUNNIEST post of his yet!

corgimom
corgimom 09/07/13 - 10:26 pm
"They aren't legally allowed

"They aren't legally allowed to profit from it and no dividends are paid."

They OFFICIALLY aren't allowed to profit from it- but there are all kinds of deals made for the stock.

It's like not being able to sell Masters' badges for more than the face value, and we all know how THAT goes.

corgimom
corgimom 09/07/13 - 10:29 pm
noc noc, I don't know if

noc noc, I don't know if you've ever been to a Border Bash.

They are fabulous and fun. However, it is the CSRA's largest concentrated group of shoot-faced drunks, it's worse than the Masters.

If you aren't enormously drunk at the Border Bash, you are in a very small minority.

The "incidents" mostly are DUI's that happen AFTER the Bash.

Solar 'farm' for Fort Gordon?

ATLANTA -- Georgia military installations at Fort Stewart, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning and Kings Bay will one day be housing solar farms that can make them independent of the power grid in ...