Rants & Raves

ERIC TURNER IS truly a perfect role model. He is not a famous athlete or entertainer, but certainly one who deserves accolades for his work ethic and strength to “never give up.”

TO ALL THE PEOPLE complaining about the number of articles in The Augusta Chronicle about the University of Georgia: Get over it because when you think Georgia, you think about the Bulldogs.

THE IGNORANT person trying to blame Obamacare, like all other diehard Republicans, really needs to use facts instead of emotional lies. If you think it’s bad that you can’t get better health care, see the messages by others who had worse amounts to pay for insurance.

‘THE CHRONICLE’ editorial a few weeks ago was foolish to say that the GRU name must be changed. You can’t beat a dead horse any more; move on away from the name. How about an investigation into the facts of what is wrong, such as the financial aid pitiful situation for thousands of students?

ERIC TURNER IS A great example of how people need to make the efforts to work where they can and not just sit on the label of “handicap,” waiting for handouts. My daddy also taught me to work as hard as I can at as many jobs as I can and not to let anyone say I was too disabled to work. I had worked up to four jobs at a time when I could get the extra work just to save up for my future in case my feet got more twisted and too painful to work using them for walking. May we “Eric Turners” be able to find work to do.

SYLVIA COOPER, I am disappointed in your column where you pointed to black commissioners as needing to work on white items. Many items are both black and white that are worked on. You need to name specific “white items” that you feel are not being worked on, to be more fair. You usually are.

I WOULD LIKE to thank the young men who helped me when my car broke down in front of McDonald’s on Washington Road. It was so kind to help me push my car to safety. God bless you.

I’M CURIOUS AS to why is it when something happens in west Augusta it is not labeled west Augusta, but when something happens in south Augusta you are quick to point that out. I believe each section should be treated equally.

THE ONLY THING that Obama is doing right is keeping us out of a needless war. Let’s keep it that way. Syria is none of our business.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/13 - 07:04 pm
GO DAWGS!!!

Get over it because when you think Georgia, you think about the Bulldogs....Ya got that right!!!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/06/13 - 07:41 pm
When I think GA colleges

I think GA. Military College.

GMC trains Leaders,
UGA trains Lawyers,

Need I say more?

KSL
KSL 09/06/13 - 09:22 pm
Seenit

I don't.

KSL
KSL 09/06/13 - 09:27 pm
Unless,you mean some of the

Unless,you mean some of the most obnoxious fans I have ever known, many of which are in my family. All are of my generation are younger, not my parents'.

KSL
KSL 09/06/13 - 09:38 pm
#9

Ahhhhhh,

Are you sure you are up to date?

countyman
20588
countyman 09/07/13 - 12:02 am
Happening in West Augusta

#8... The redevelopment of the Washington Crossing shopping center in West Augusta will begin shortly. The new Whole Food Market is the reason behind all the upcoming changes..

Hopefully the Stein Mart shopping center will also be redeveloped, and the city begins construction on green space along Washington road by the end of 2014.

The former apartments(Greens on Washington)near the Augusta National are currently being demolished, and the IHOP is already gone. The commercial development in front Kroger(Washington/Alexander) should break ground before the end of 2013. The Texas Roadhouse restaurant is under construction near Zaxby's on Washington Road.

The 2014 Masters guest can expect big changes along Washington rd for next year's tournament.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 04:31 am
West Augusta

The commenter has a good point. I'm not talking about reporting crimes, but if the term South Augusta is used by the media, why not West Augusta? I view both as positive labels. Anything to differentiate an area from the old urban city limits would be encouraging and constructive.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 04:59 am
Deke's "Sad" Twitter Rant

Deke Copenhaver, our great purveyor of ethics, believes the Chronicle reporter lacks journalistic integrity because she factually presented the slum designation story. He ended his Twitter rant with the word, “sad.”

Well, I’ll tell you what’s sad. That’s about the most forceful thing Copenhaver has ever said even if it is via Twitter. Let him speak up at commission meetings and to Fred Russell when they are dipping into the reserve fund or trying to bamboozle more money out of the county with this slum designation. They are the ones seeking the derogatory classification like a depraved pervert who loves derision. There’s not enough money due to their waste and they will sink to the depths to divert more.

A reporter who accurately reports city government seeking the slum classification, precisely stating the proposal and criteria is not “sad.” On the other hand, a meek, docile, submissive, spiritless, tame, timid, reticent, Speedo wearing, quiche eating leader with no vision is.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 05:33 am
WOW River...Now that is forceful

What kind of quiche? hahahha (strong coffee this am)

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 05:39 am
Public Officials and the Internet

We often have public officials and even some media types downplaying the significance of the internet. They say they don’t read the online comments of the Chronicle or social media. But when they can’t stand to be quiet any longer they suddenly burst forth like people scurrying to get the food on the street when Gurley’s Grocery closed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 05:43 am
SeenIt, I'm going to be at the game today

SeenIt, I'm going to be at the game today in this unreal heat. I'll be on the sunny visitor's side to make matters worse. If I don't come home to the Chronicle later, you'll know I had a heat stroke.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 05:46 am
Wave to JTF

YOU KNOW where he will be...hahah

on the winning side my friend..:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 05:55 am
JTF, can't even tell if the

JTF, can't even tell if the sun is shining. :) But I'm actually in a tricky situation today. I'm going to be with Georgia fans. I'll have to contain my emotions when Clowney makes a wish with Murray's legs.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 06:15 am
Watching from home

We will be watching from the comfy area of home....all Georgia folks around me....I bet Rebel will be in his man cave & sitting on the bar stools he rebuilt last night! He has been bragging about his handy work ......haha...I bet that article about slums has him going today!

Just a thought but here in the Gwinnett land we have prison folks helping with the work/cleanup in the parks......& other places....why not use this labor on the Riverwalk & etc....it floors me that the men aren't used like that....most want to get out of the 4 walls....we need a REAL leader with some toughness (in Augusta) ..

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 06:18 am
Bar stools

He just showed pics.....looking good rebel......You might need to run for Mayor.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 06:22 am
Tell JTF to post us

If you have a heat stroke tell jtf to give us a msg....ya know drinking that kool aide & sitting in the sun won't mix.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/07/13 - 06:23 am
Truth

"we need a REAL leader with some toughness (in Augusta) .."
Alas, After a long and exhausting search there is none to be found!
Maybe we should order some of those danglers to put on their cars!!!!

rebellious
rebellious 09/07/13 - 06:29 am
Stools

Yea, I went to the doctor and he wanted a stool sample, so I went to work and they turned out pretty good.

Had to hold my breath till Riverman clarified which side of Sanford Stadium he would be sitting on. Bout lost a good posting buddy, but he pulled up at the last minute.

To the rants about South Augusta being referenced...not to worry. New articles from the AC will differentiate between Slum and Non-Slum areas. So goodbye West vs East or South. No more Urban vs Rural. From here forth it shall be Slum vs Non-Slum. Countyman will lose his mind, because there is no more CBD. Oh, the humanity of it all!!!!!

rebellious
rebellious 09/07/13 - 06:41 am
So, four nuns

are at confession. The first nun says to the priest "I have seen a man's p3n1s. Priest says "Go and say 5 Hail Marys and wash your eyes in the fountain.
Second Nun says I have touched a man's p3n1s. Preist says "Go and say 10 hail Marys and wash your hands in the fountain".
There arose a ruckus in the vestibule, between Nun #3 and Nun #4. The priest rushed out to find out what was going on. Nun #4 says to him "If you think I am going to wash my mouth in that fountain after she washes her bottom, you are badly mistaken!"

Good Lord I apologize for that and all the pigmies in New Guinea.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 06:41 am
Hahah Rebel

What are you putting in that coffee.....gimmmie some..:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 06:43 am
Rebel, heh. I was thinking

Rebel, heh. I was thinking that, too. We'll just call it the slums from now on. When I hear about Sprint Foods opening on Broad St., I'll just say, yeah, but that's in the slums. The metro area is made-up of West Augusta, South Augusta, Columbia County, North Augusta, Aiken and the slums.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 06:43 am
Brad says he smells a rat

About this slum thingy....

Really....how can you have million dollar homes in a slum area....what is really going on & who will benefit?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 06:48 am
In Augusta, there aren't

In Augusta, there aren't million dollar homes in the slum designated area. It's pretty much the downtown area being called a slum.

rebellious
rebellious 09/07/13 - 06:50 am

* double post - sorry

rebellious
rebellious 09/07/13 - 07:03 am
Well

De Debil be in de detales.

The last parts of the article talks about them good ole boys letting bonds today for 26.5 Million dollars (must be said with pinky finger between eyeteeth) to be paid by revenue from SPLOST 7. Problem is the voters haven't approved SPLOST 7 yet.

Dang it all. Don't you hate it when details get in the way of Guvmint spending.

This post sent from a Non-Slum location.

rebellious
rebellious 09/07/13 - 06:55 am
Now Riverman

We must parse words here. The homes may have cost a Million dollars to finally arrive at a turnkey domicile. Now retail value might not be that, but what did it take to bring them to market, what with all that marketing going on by Mister Wheeler down there.

This post sent from a Non-Slum location

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/13 - 06:57 am
Well maybe not in downtown

BUT....I can tell you for a fact that some million dollar tracts are in the south side....some folks just don't bragg much about what they have....timber & land & lots of it......like the ole saying...they just aren't making any more land.

I know this isn't possible but this was on my mind in the last day or so....what IF---folks like Rebel & coldbeer actually had meetings & talked with the commish....gave them some ideas that would work...would it help or am I dreaming....using prison labor is something they need ....

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 07:02 am
Rebel, yeah, they probably

Rebel, yeah, they probably cost more than a million a piece to build and another million to make the public believe the area is safe and desirable. Seenit, sure South Augusta has lots of million dollar places.

rebellious
rebellious 09/07/13 - 07:06 am
SeenitB4

Been there, doing that (6:57 a.m. post)

But the old saying "One Monkey don't stop no show" comes in to play.

rebellious
rebellious 09/07/13 - 07:13 am
River

If you meet anyone wearing Black and Red rooting for the Dawgs, tell em you know me. I bet they will know me also, what with that six degrees of separation thing going on.

And for the record, if your last name was Clowney, wouldn't you consider changing it? You know like Norma Jean Mortenson or Marion Robert Morrison. I still don't get the BoBo last name as being practical. Maybe a practical joke, but not much more.

Just asking.

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.