Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

WHERE ARE OUR priorities? Children are being murdered by poison gas in Syria. An 88-year-old man is slain by teens for a pittance. A college athlete was shot dead by teens who stated that they were bored. With the world in turmoil, a large group of morons are upset because Ben Affleck has been chosen to portray the comic action hero Batman in a movie over two years away? Sometimes, I wonder where we are heading.

THE NORTH AUGUSTA Public Safety officer at the high school should be directing traffic in the mornings and afternoons at the entrance to Knobcone Road. The cellphone calls can wait until after traffic has cleared; these kids are dodging cars.

RANT TO THE Veterans Affairs employee who found my ATM card during the family conference, held on to it for five days, then accessed my VA records to find out when I had an appointment so she could return it to me. You knew you were wrong; that’s why you gave it to the nurse.

ROSA T. BEARD was a true woman of God. Her love for people was untouchable, in addition to her love for community. Please respect her life, her living and her legacy. Have the same love she shared with so many.

A RANT TO THE Georgia Tech complainers: Maybe if you could fill up your high school stadium without offering free hot dogs, beat UGA more than once in 14 years, and win the high school league of the ACC without cheating (see 2009), maybe The Augusta Chronicle would discuss Tech more.

RANT TO THE department manager at the Evans Wal-Mart for refusing to honor an Internet order. Raves to the store manager for acknowledging the error and allowing the purchase. Raves, also, to Shekilia and Samantha, who served me in a professional, cheerful manner.

A PARADE OF MALES wearing women’s tutus. What is this trying to prove?

SECRETARY OF STATE John Kerry said Syria has weapons of mass destruction. Green light for a war. Where have we heard this before? And, as in the last time, it is none of our business.

PARENTS, TEACH YOUR children there is a difference between “law” and “authority.” Never run from and always cooperate with “authority.” If they are doing you wrong, the “law” will enable you to correct that later.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 08:44 pm
I'm still stunned by the idea

I'm still stunned by the idea that Augusta is finally, at long last, admitting that Downtown Augusta is a slum

And all the ways they describe it, the slum conditions, are 100% true

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/13 - 08:48 pm
@8

The will be the ones that America will be supporting "when" we strike Syria.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/13 - 08:52 pm
corgimom

I think Augusta has to complete its fall to the level of Detroit before we can say 100%.

It could be such a beautiful city.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/05/13 - 10:44 pm
Patcherooney

Hey, while you guys are ranting, go over to this old story and bring it up again by flooding it with comments:

Subsidized Golf

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/05/13 - 10:58 pm
"... always cooperate with “authority.”

If they are doing you wrong, the “law” will enable you to correct that later.

Fallacious assumption. The "law" takes care of its own; brutality, planted evidence, perjury and murder all merely its 'management tools'.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/05/13 - 11:27 pm
Authority

Yes, you must be considerate of authority (i.e., uniforms, badges, guns, etc.). But do not let that consideration extend to answering questions of these persons wielding governmental authority (i.e., FBI, GBI, sheriff's deputies, police officers, etc.)

Instead, merely say, “I wish to remain silent.” Pay close attention to what they say next, and do not answer another question without your attorney present.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/06/13 - 04:14 am
Batman Is Us

I learned decades ago reading comic books that Batman has no super powers, yet he has to battle those who do. He has to rely on his brilliant gadgets. Whoever controls the special weapons must be competent. How would you like to hang out with Superman and that crowd and you had no super powers? It all reminds me of message board commenters fighting the evil manipulators with all their power.

Batarangs: throwing weapons
Bat-Darts: tranquilizer darts
Bat-Goo Gun: to stick thugs to walls and floors
Bat-Lasso: a lasso
Bat Stungun: A knockout tool used by Batman to temporarily paralyze enemies

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/06/13 - 04:28 am
Slum, Shantytown

When you allow yourself to be called derogatory names in order to borrow money, you’re lost. Slum, Detroit, Augusta, shantytown.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/06/13 - 06:55 am
Slum

Well, now that the Cat's out of the bag, guess where next years Masters Visitors won't be going!!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/06/13 - 07:08 am
As the freshman speaker said:

If you want build Iron Man you go to GA. Tech.

As I said If you want to write contracts or sue the builders of Iron Man suits you go to UGA.

GA Tech is a place that innovation happens.
UGA is where legal things happen that tend to slow innovation.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/06/13 - 07:28 am
Syria Citizens will have to wait because we understand.

Because too many Americans have grown tried of being the worlds policemen for people that detest us and then attack us or harbor those that do.

Because we have grown tired of being played again and again to get into trillion $$ wars.

Because we know no longer trust the Trusted Circle that took an Oath to protect the US.

Because we understand what Photoshop and CG is, because we see it in our movies, on tv and in pictures to make older look younger or innocent to look guilty.

Because we know what Wag the Dog is now.

Because we better understand how political games are played just to get the budget cap removed.

Because we are broke and 47% of the nation is on the dole and understands every penny spend overseas is one they don't get.

Maybe because we have woke up and realized that since the United States was founded in 1776, WE have had a war 215 out of her 236 calendar years of existence (as of 2012). In other words, there were only 21 calendar years in which the U.S. did not wage any wars.

Maybe our understanding of the big picture, may be the thing prohibits the USA from greater involvement.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/13 - 07:30 am
A Slum??

That was a slap in the face headline....now just what is going on behind the scene in this mess..

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/06/13 - 07:48 am
Rant about weapons of mass distruction

"SECRETARY OF STATE John Kerry said Syria has weapons of mass destruction. Green light for a war. Where have we heard this before? And, as in the last time, it is none of our business"

THIS TIME it is very different!! We have a Democratic President and Sec. of State and NO PERSONAL ax to grind against this dictator!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/06/13 - 07:53 am
Rant # 1

"WHERE ARE OUR priorities? Children are being murdered by poison gas in Syria. An 88-year-old man is slain by teens for a pittance. A college athlete was shot dead by teens who stated that they were bored. With the world in turmoil, a large group of morons are upset because Ben Affleck has been chosen to portray the comic action hero Batman in a movie over two years away? Sometimes, I wonder where we are heading"

You are right!! The nation's focus SHOULD BE on important matters instead of fivolity like thinking and being concerned about Hollywood!! BUT, I am afraid that this is what the typical American is ALL ABOUT!!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/06/13 - 08:11 am
"... fivolity(sic) like thinking and being concerned

... about Hollywood!! BUT, I am afraid that this is what the typical American is ALL ABOUT!!"

I believe you, and our leaders and the shapers of "truth", to be wrong. The typical American I know is concerned with making a living and providing for their families; fighting to stay above those subsumed by this economy and the rising tide of amorality that saps their lives.

It is the elite who provide and idle rabble who are thus to be diverted, slowly sinking into serfdom in the name of "security" and "safety".

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/13 - 08:12 am
AS the cookie crumbles

The slum headline got me thinking...

At one time the Regency Mall area was alive & thriving....great stores & business was jumping...nice homes in nice neighborhoods in the area too....BUT then the crime & lowlife took over......it seemed no one stood up to the punks & they relished bumping into the female shoppers....eventually the shoppers left.....& also the taxpaying home owners......now I don't see well manicured lawns & well kept homes in the area I once lived in...sad view now.

Corgi & I both know what it looked like at one time.....I miss that too....so I guess you could say THAT turned into a slum area .....but no one cared about THAT!

Sooo.....what happens in your backyard finally makes it to the front ---Broad ST to be exact.....& believe it or not, but it will spread to the outer counties too...just a matter of time my friends....the cancer spreads..THINK -- DeKalb county & the edge of Gwinnett county..when you let punks & crime rule the day this is the result.....when you have more takers than workers ....same thing.

We have bent over BACKWARDS to appease the needy...for heavens sake we need to get some backbone & kick some tails ...we have had 60 years of live & let live.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/06/13 - 08:44 am
A vision from 1964.

The commentary is from 1964, the video current, obviously.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/13 - 09:06 am
Thanks L for this cutie

A young ventriloquist is touring Sweden and, one night, he's doing a show in a small fishing town. With his dummy on his knee, he starts going through his usual dumb blonde jokes.

Suddenly, a blonde woman in the fourth row stands on her chair and starts shouting, "I've heard enough of your stupid blonde jokes. What makes you think you can stereotype Swedish blond women that way? What does the colour of a woman's hair have to do with her worth as a human being? It's men like you who keep women like me from being respected at work and in the community, and from reaching our full potential as people. Its people like you that make others think that all Blondes are dumb! You and your kind continue to perpetuate discrimination against not only blondes, but women in general...pathetically all in the name of humour!"

The embarrassed ventriloquist begins to apologize, and the blonde yells: “You stay out of this! I'm talking to that little jerkt on your lap."

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/13 - 09:09 am
Oh yeah baby--just a matter of time

This song gives me chills...yeh chills....♥

I wish I could stay & solve Augusta's problems BUT hey...it takes all I can do to solve my own...lol
Other places need me....talk to ya later..good am shrimp & peach!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/06/13 - 09:31 am
Question to Everyone

There's a photo of the guy they think stole the money from the church with the story in the Chronicle. When I put my cursor over the photo a name pops up. Does that happen to everyone? Strange.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/06/13 - 10:04 am
Oh, I know what it is now.

Oh, I know what it is now. That's the name of the officer investigating the theft.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/06/13 - 10:07 am
t3......"THIS TIME it is very

t3......"THIS TIME it is very different!! We have a Democratic President and Sec. of State and NO PERSONAL ax to grind against this dictator!"

No ax to grind against Assad...hmmm. Well that depends on whether you believe the recent article in an Egyptian newspaper that Obama is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood and that they are threatening to release proof unless he strikes Assad and helps them take control of Syria....and another article in an Egyptian magazine that says 6 members of the Obama administration are Muslim Brotherhood operatives.

“Newspaper also claims that son of MB leader threatened Obama with release of ‘papers’ revealing his MB membership,” he continued.

The paper also alleges that President Obama’s half-brother Malik is an al Qaeda activist.

So far, the story is being ignored by the mainstream media."

So the Muslim Brotherhood threatens to OUT Obama unless he strikes Assad in Syria and helps them take over that country. No worries....he's a Democrat...yeh right. No ulterior motives there. And then there is Secretary Kerry, who had a SHORT wartime experience where he self-nominated for several purple heart scratches in order to get the hell out of there as fast as possible and then came home and denigrated the men with which he served in order to kick off his political career. He has had more damage from his recent plastic surgery that he EVER got from those purple heart "wounds" in Vietnam. He is singing and dancing to the presidents puppet strings with "let's go to war let's go to war, we don't need congress.....no wait....let's get congress to approve it, let's get congress to approve it so we can blame it on them" all while continuing to lie to us about Benghazi. Another trustworthy Democrat who I rank right up there with Jane Fonda for trustworthiness.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/06/13 - 10:07 am
To the Ga Tech "complainer,

To the Ga Tech "complainer, complainer." It amazes me the number of people who think the only thing a school is about is their sports teams.

corgimom
corgimom 09/06/13 - 10:25 am
Rant #9- Isn't it funny, I've

Rant #9- Isn't it funny, I've had numerous interactions with the police over the course of my life, I've always treated them with courtesy and respect, they always treated me with courtesy and respect.

And I'm talking about police across America.

I wonder why that is, why people like me never have any problems, but then some people- people with attitudes towards the police- seem to have serious problems with them?

Wonder what the difference is, and oh, yeah, maybe I never have a problem with them because I'm not a criminal.

allhans
allhans 09/06/13 - 11:02 am
I wonder how many

I wonder how many publications will now tell the world that Augusta Ga is a slum city. Believe me, it will take wings....

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/06/13 - 11:08 am
OK then

To the Georgia Tech complainer complainer complainer, how do you know he/she thinks that?

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/06/13 - 11:11 am
#9

I think that is exactly what the ranter is saying. If you are not a criminal, you have nothing to worry about.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/06/13 - 11:36 am
Just a guess, JTF. But the

Just a guess, JTF. But the number of thumbs down I got seem to indicate I'm on to something.

Darby
Darby 09/06/13 - 11:43 am
That first poster had my attention untile he brought

Ben Affleck into the picture.

Why not Bob Young and the Swamp Murders?