Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

ABSOLUTELY RIVETING column by Bill Kirby on 8/27. His ability to compile quotes from someone’s postcards and tell us where they’ve been is uncanny! Journalism at its highest level.

THE INCIDENT at McNair Learning Center in Decatur underscores the fact that teachers need to be able to protect their students with more than locked doors, tape dispensers and staplers. Georgia’s teachers and administrators need to be armed.

THE YELLOW overhead school lights on Baston Road for Augusta Christian are VERY hard to tell when they are on. Please consider changing them to red so they are more visible.

THANK YOU ALMA at Pre-admission Testing at University Hospital. Thank you for making a serious situation a bearable situation. Your smile and your work are very much appreciated.

MY WATER BILL has gone up $10 within two months and I have not been using any more water. I can’t get help from the company. Something is going on.

AUGUSTA LEADERSHIP has finally shown its hand for being racist. As soon as possible I am putting my house up for sale and moving out of Augusta.

RANT AND SHAME ON you Rick McKee for your cartoon in Wednesday’s paper about South Carolina’s obesity problem. Have you looked around in Augusta? Look at the City Council. Please make your apologizes right now to the state of South Carolina for your sarcasm.

THIS IS A RAVE TO thank the man driving the
truck with the artificial male genitalia hanging from his trailer hitch, for the interesting conversation his choice of truck accessories prompted with my kids. Kids: “Mom what is that?” Me: “Prosthetics.” Kids: “Mom, what are Prosthetics?” Me: “When someone doesn’t have or loses a body part, they make them a fake one.” Kids: “But why are they on his truck?” Me: “I guess he wants everyone to know he finally got some.”

FREE MEALS AT SCHOOL; free haircuts, free school supplies, Obamaphones. Boy, people really are learning how to stand
on their own two feet. I can’t wait to see how they handle the real world when they grow up. Do you think they will be ready for the responsibility?

RAVE TO MR. DOLAN. I commend your integrity and honor. Very proud.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 09/02/13 - 10:26 pm
Free Meals At School...

"Do you think they will be ready for the responsibility?"

Of course they won't be. That's part of the plan. They'll be another generation of American citizens who've been trained that the government will take care of them. That they're entitled to free food, free medical care, free phones, free housing, free spending money, and entitled to a free middle class lifestyle AND to blame the "rich" for not taking even better care of them.

Hard work, studying, preparation, and good work ethics are no longer necessary to achieve a middle class life. The democrats have destroyed our society and Republicans have allowed it to happen.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/13 - 10:55 pm
Ranter #5

You are ranting to the Augusta Chronicle. You would get more help ranting to the company or government who owns your water system. At the very least, identify the company or government here on the R&R so we would know who you are talking about. If we don't know, we cannot help you.

countyman
19068
countyman 09/03/13 - 12:27 pm
Major growth!!!!!

The multi million Cabela's and upscale movie theater are under construction in North Richmond at the VAR...

Augusta is really growing and the media can't hide the growth from the public any longer.

Great article below on the growth in Richmond County.

countyman
19068
countyman 09/03/13 - 12:46 am
Rant

This is a rant for the local media outlets in Augusta for their discrepancies in terms of the reporting ''news''. The Augusta Chronicle doesn't want even report 5% of crime in the suburban counties. Why do they have to report every single trivial crime in Richmond County then?

The News Times latest updates had one article related to crime in the past few weeks, and it's concerning the shooting on I-20... Why don't the residents of Columbia County get bombarded with crime articles similar to Richmond? The Aiken Standard had zero articles related to crime under the recent updates.. The Augusta Chronicle is the only source with multiple crime articles under latest updates and crime and courts.

I really don't understand why the media chooses to not report the majority of positives things happening daily in Augusta. Especially when the overwhelmingly majority of residents in the CSRA have to rely on the city for jobs, entertainment, shopping, dining, higher education, etc?

How can the CSRA be strong unless Augusta is? Richmond County is by far the most important county in the metro and CSRA. If you think suburbs can lead the way to an successful city. Then compare places like Austin versus Birmingham.

The strongest cities in the US have vibrant urban cores... The suburbs can't attract the high rise office buildings like the urban core. I'm positive the media in any other city would have included a segment on the news showing all of the new restaurants for example. Texas Roadhouse, Genghis Grill, Dunkin Donuts, Five Guys, Firehouse Subs, Cookout, Craft & Vine, etc...

I don't expect the local media to change until they see the writing on the wall which is coming very soon. WJBF reported the Bass Pro as an major gain for Columbia County, but made sure to let the public know it was a major loss for Richmond County because it's coming to Martinez instead of West Augusta. Even though the Bass Pro is located right next to Richmond County, and will help attract business to Richmond County. The funny thing is the exact next day WJBF presented the Cabela's/movie theater in Richmond County as a big win for the entire CSRA. The Augusta Chronicle even let Syliva write the editorial disagreeing with Augusta being ranked the 7th best city to live in and 4th best place to retire. The Chronicle finally decided to print the rankings after the editorial. The paper didn't have any editorial disagreeing when Martinez ranked the 14th best affordable growing community.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 06:49 am
Hmmmmm let me see

What is more important to me....the chance of getting robbed in certain areas or eating at a 5 Guys & finding a Dunkin Doughnut....hard to decide---let me think about it some..:):)

If the crime wasn't there they wouldn't report it.....so stop with the backstabs.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/03/13 - 07:02 am
Wow

Slam the very people you want to help you using their own site. Hmm, has me thinking nose and face. Can anyone see the connection?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 07:06 am
Hmmm let me think coldbeer

Bite the hand that feeds ya
cut off "something" on the face

Did I win the prize coldbeer? :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 07:10 am
Is this lawful?

man driving the
truck with the artificial male genitalia hanging from his trailer hitch

Surely there must be some fine for this display.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/03/13 - 07:19 am
Why don't you put out your own paper

You complain so much about the AC but yet here you are everyday posting and paying to post. Yeah, makes sense to me.....

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/03/13 - 07:55 am
Bill Kirby needs to get a tattoo

Bill Kirby needs to get a tattoo or something rad. Get one on his arm and wear something besides that suit, roll up his T-shirt sleeve so it shows and on the other sleeve keep a fliptop box of Marlboros. I’m sure he could find a tattoo to fit him. Skyline of Augusta maybe. I’m not saying he’s boring, but if I ever have to sit beside him at ANYTHING, I’m going to the bathroom and guzzling AT LEAST a half pint of hard liquor.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 08:12 am
^^RM

Or maybe hang "something" interesting off his trailer hitch...haha

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/03/13 - 08:13 am
Good Morning "AC R&R's" America

countyman * I really would like to give you a High Five for an undying devotion for your daily drive to make Augusta a beautiful, low crime, fast growing business and population, plus a better place to live than most any other city.
Sad to say that the real picture you are portraying is like a "Blind Man married to a very ugly women telling everybody how beautiful she is."

What aggravates me the most about your comments is when you keep repeating that Columbia County is not reporting in the news all it's Murders, shot in leg, Base Ball bat beatings, burning with Irons that is happening in CC.

As I ask you yesterday, why don't to start reporting those that are not being reported. Could it just be that they are not being reported is that they just are not happening. You can also cover those unreported "Argument leads to stabbing" by multi-offenders.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 08:15 am
harley I think ya hit it on the head

That 1st post today is the truth...we have allowed this to happen...looking the other way...waiting for the ship to come in.....falling for the pc rules ....we have to find the guts to move in a different direction & I hope we do this before it is too late.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/03/13 - 08:18 am
B4,

I hate to tell you, but it is already TOO Late!.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/03/13 - 08:19 am
After We Bomb Syria,

What difference will anything make.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 08:22 am
Cgee we can't bomb til

YOU hit the 100,000 mark....it is coming up ...:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/03/13 - 08:26 am
Sheeeeeeeez B4, don't tell

Sheeeeeeeez B4, don't tell anybody, please...

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 08:31 am
Sorry Cgee

But it is flapping in the wind...:) sorta like running bare running thru Appling ...haha

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/03/13 - 08:42 am
"As soon as possible I am putting my house up for sale..."

Bet you to the punch.

After some medical issues in the family that forced a change in plans,
we leave around Feb - Mar 2014.

Rural cooler, cleaner, quieter, lower taxes, lower crime, friendlier North East Ga. here we come.

Don't bother locking the door.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/03/13 - 08:51 am
Has ... South Augusta has become atrocious lately?

I say come own property here and live a year in our Dumping Ground.

Countyman
While I support your efforts to promote Augusta in many ways.

It is obvious you have ZERO understanding of the problems and manure being planted, that is attracting more flies to the South East Side.

Consolidation has put the South East Side on a slow prolonged Death watch.

Argue that point.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/03/13 - 08:56 am
Thinking of certain local "leaders".

"When you are dead, you don't know that you're dead; it is only difficult for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid".

john
john 09/03/13 - 09:04 am
Lunch

My daughter can eat for free at her school now, but I pack her a lunch every day. No such thing as free. You should have seen all the happy faces at the school open house when parents realzied everyone eats for free. Disgusting.

Its going to be interesting when the federal grant money runs out and the board has to start charging for lunches again. The entitled are going to flip out.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/03/13 - 09:14 am
Cobalt on CC crime

I thought the same thing about the AC not being able to report what is not happening. You can look through the arrest section to see that violent crime in CC is a small fraction of Richmond's. Like you, I challenge CM to start reporting unpublished CC crimes right here with the same broken record vigor he posts about 5 guys, etc., etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 09:16 am
nocnoc I understand your thinking

I can't blame you for moving....you are so right with this too....

Consolidation has put the South East Side on a slow prolonged Death watch. ......dumping grounds & they dang well know what they are doing...the only thing is, this will turn around & bite them in the behind....once the taxpayers have left they won't be able to fix IT!

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/03/13 - 09:19 am
Since the 70's Process has always been

The Fed's provide it for free long enough to get people expecting it.
Then de-fund the freebies, and dump the burden on the States.

The local populous demands that it continue, votes to toss out
fiscally minded leaders that understand 1+1 =2.

Those still paying taxes get another Tax bump

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/03/13 - 09:20 am
Hanging from truck

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, I would hang them too if I had something like that. Those are representative of a BULL.

Like these from Amazon? =http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Balls-Bull-Nutz-Flesh/dp/B002A6LL2I

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/03/13 - 09:28 am
Development trends

Atlanta- South and East areas most crime etc.
St Louis- Same
Detroit- Same
Chicago- Same
Los Angeles- Same
Boston- Same
Augusta- Same

Why do people with the means and desire to do so, flee north and west, leaving the south and east to fester?

North (fill in the blank for any city) always seems to be more affluent.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/13 - 09:28 am
Soon itsanotherday

There won't be a safe place to flee...then what?

harley_52
22064
harley_52 09/03/13 - 10:16 am
"I hate to tell you, but it is already TOO Late!."

You may be right, CG, but the only way we'll know that for sure is if we give up.

I don't think you've given up.