Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HERE’S A RAVE for the man driving the black truck on North Belair Road this evening during rush hour. Thank you so much for letting me in. I know this must have been hard for you to do since you were driving with one hand on the steering wheel because your other hand only had one finger on it!

DID YOU KNOW that President Obama added another dog to his household? The taxpayers currently pay a dog attendant $102,000 a year to take care of the first dog because the first lady and the two daughters are too busy to feed and walk the current dog.

THE AIKEN COUNTY library is not a safe place to leave your children.

WHY IS AUGUSTA Regional Airport going to buy a new fire truck to fight building fire? Doesn’t the county have a fire station a mile from the airport? Waste of tax dollars.

RAVE TO Augusta Cares. I e-mailed them with a concern about the six foot overgrowth along Oates Creek in Turpin Hill and crews came out and took care of the problem. Martha, you rock!

RANT TO WHOEVER stole my camper from Skinner Mill Self Storage. You not only took away my family time at the lake, but you took away something my father left me which meant the world to me and cannot be replaced. I just hope you are found and what goes around comes around!!! If anyone knows anything about this, please contact Skinner Mill Self Storage and they will have my contact information.

TRAYVON MARTIN’S murder was brutal as well. So Oprah and the rest of us civilized people are quite correct to make certain to properly refer to his murder by Zimmerman as disgusting and any other negative terms or comparison that we make.

THE NEW HEALTH CARE laws are primarily needed by those who don’t have insurance. So if the Congress people have insurance, why do they need to be pushed to have to buy other insurance? First, you get the uninsured people covered.

Darby
Darby 09/02/13 - 03:31 pm
"I guess everybody has to take a day off

sometime."

You should try it.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/02/13 - 03:35 pm
sawgrass, at first I thought

sawgrass, at first I thought it was a typo, but you twice refer to "missed race" in one sentence. Don't you mean "mixed race"? If you have one or more races in your blood-line ancestry you can consider yourself mixed race, so I think that is what you mean. Considering we are all supposed to come from Adam and Eve, we could say we are all one race anyway: the human race.

Darby
Darby 09/02/13 - 03:39 pm
"Geeze. Sometimes I think you don't believe

your own comments, you are just trying to stir the pot."

.No, KSL, he believes what he says, just doesn't give his positions a lot of thought.

sawgrass
sawgrass 09/02/13 - 03:42 pm
AutumnLeaves

You are correct. I meant "mixed", not missed. Sometimes my brain outruns my fingers. However, in this day and age we are all identified by a specific race. Zimmerman is of mixed race, just as our president is.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/02/13 - 03:50 pm
Darby @ 3:39

"No, KSL, he believes what he says, just doesn't give his positions a lot of thought"

HA accuses BOD of this same thing! Am I being compaired to BOD?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/02/13 - 03:54 pm
Sawgrass @ 3:42

"Zimmerman is of mixed race, just as our president is"

Race does play a role in our belief that Zimmerman is guilty, BUT the simple and over-whelming evidence against Zimmerman is that he went COMPLETELY against the 911 operators advice NOT TO follow Martin!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/02/13 - 04:01 pm
RANT about printing LTE's

Don't you just love it when your LTE is not printed AND no good reason is give for this??!! My latest LTE had no profanity in it to keep it from being printed! This after a very wordy editorial was written about fairness in printing LTE's!! Go figure that one out for me.

KSL 09/02/13 - 04:34 pm
Maybe Martin should have

Maybe Martin should have called 911 because he was being followed and followed the same advice they gave Zim. Since Zimmerman was headed back to his vehicle, Travon could have lived at least through that night. Who is to say he would be alive today, though, based on the way his life was headed?

KSL 09/02/13 - 04:10 pm
Simple

Do you think they can print every letter they get? Was it the same one you sent to the Standard. No, I didn't read it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 04:11 pm
"BUT the simple and

"BUT the simple and over-whelming evidence against Zimmerman is that he went COMPLETELY against the 911 operators advice NOT TO follow Martin!"

That's a point of contention, but I don't see how if he did it changes anything. What do neighborhood watches do? You can't follow someone to see what they are doing? Show me that law.

The absurdity of this whole thing is some want to justify Martin beating the heck out of Z with cloudy reasoning.

harley_52
harley_52 09/02/13 - 04:56 pm
Zimmerman...

....was under NO obligation to follow the SUGGESTION of the 911 Operator. They can't give orders. If they could, they'd subject their department to all sorts of legal problems. They don't know precisely what's going on. Besides, the evidence shows that Zimmerman was indeed doing what they asked. He was returning to his vehicle when he was jumped and assaulted by Martin. That's the evidence.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/13 - 05:01 pm
Education

Just another attempt from me to educate readers here. "Hispanic" is not a race. It denotes a place of origin, namely Hispaniola. There are white Hispanics, black Hispanics, American Indian Hispanics, and mixed-race Hispanics. If an Asian couple established a home in, say, Peru, and had children born there, the children would consider themselves Asian Hispanics.

harley_52
harley_52 09/02/13 - 05:14 pm
LL....

You may be technically right, but just about nobody views it that way, not even the federal government. When you fill out one of their forms, "Hispanic" is one of the "race" or "ethnicity" possibilities for selection.

Zimmerman self-identified as a "Hispanic." The press chose to call him "white" because it makes a better story when you can claim "white on black" crime than "Hispanic on black" crime.

Zimmerman had one white parent and one Hispanic parent. The Press, the race baiters, and most democrat politicians chose to call him "white" to suit their own purposes, not unlike they claim the Australian teenager shot in Colorado was shot by "two black and one white" teenagers. The "white" teenager involved had one black and one white parent, just like President Obama.

I haven't heard anybody lately call President Obama "white."

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/02/13 - 05:29 pm
KSL @ 4:10

"Do you think they can print every letter they get? Was it the same one you sent to the Standard. No, I didn't read it"

I guess I should take some comfort in knowing that some papers believe in LTE's freedom of speech!! And why exactly didn't you read it??

KSL 09/02/13 - 05:33 pm
Obama clains every connection

Obama clains every connection that is expedient to him and his goals, Islam, black, etc. White is not expedient.

KSL 09/02/13 - 05:41 pm
Bledsoe

It did not interst me, even though I saw your name.

KSL 09/02/13 - 05:39 pm
And I don't think you can

And I don't think you can complain denial of freedom of speech just because your letter was not published. It probably didn't interest them either.

I think I have read a much more interesting letter from you once before. Didn't agree with it, but I did read it.

KSL 09/02/13 - 05:42 pm
And, it did get published.

And, it did get published.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/02/13 - 05:53 pm
Still angry

OK, BUT I am still angry about my LTE not being published. The subject WAS pertainent to every tax payer in Aiken County!! That should be enough of a reason. Not to mention I am trying to beat HA before she gets an LTE printed!! As a matter of fact, I believe dozens of you posters could write an LTE. Just takes a little time and not minding that your name and home town will be printed. NO BIG DEAL! I, of course, incouraged HA to write one and she FINALLY did!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/13 - 05:56 pm
Mixed

Harley_52 posted:

I haven't heard anybody lately call President Obama "white."

Yes, you are correct, Harley. It would be more accurate if the media would refer to Barak Obama as “mixed-race.” I hope that is the category he selected on his 2010 Official Census Form.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/13 - 05:58 pm
Angry

Hey, T3, I know you’re angry about the letter; but let’s get on the brotherhood page. I absolutely support you regarding Project Jackson.

KSL 09/02/13 - 05:59 pm
Never written a letter to the

Never written a letter to the Editor. Nor a rant or rave or talk back.

KSL 09/02/13 - 06:09 pm
I actually don't think I know

I actually don't think I know enough about it to have an opinion. Do you realize how in-depth you would have to go to make an intelligent decision? My husband has had direct work experience with 4 government experiences and dozens and dozens and dozens of experiences with governments, leading to successfil results.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/02/13 - 06:12 pm
LL @ 5:58 & KSL @ 5;59

"Hey, T3, I know you’re angry about the letter; but let’s get on the brotherhood page. I absolutely support you regarding Project Jackson"

THANK-YOU LL!! Wish you would come to the public input meeting at Aiken Tech. Sept. 10 @ 6 PM.

KSL: Don't you feel like it is one's duty to write LTE's if you comment quite often on others'?

KSL 09/02/13 - 06:16 pm
But in this case, don't

But in this case, don't know.

A whole bunch of great sounding opportunities in Richmond Co. have ultimately gone belly up.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/02/13 - 06:16 pm
Labor Day Week-end

Guess I have been insulting enough for one day. Hope everyone had a GOOD Labor Day!! Maybe I will sharpen up my diolog for tomorrow.

KSL 09/02/13 - 06:24 pm
Sure, write all the letters

Sure, write all the letters you want. Just understand that the newspaper people can not charge enough to sell lengthy papers that allow all of your letters to be published. No one would pay that much for newspapers full of letter writers' opinions.

KSL 09/02/13 - 09:50 pm
You write letters to the

You write letters to the editor

KSL 09/02/13 - 09:47 pm
No, I don't think it is my

No, I don't think it is my duty to write letters to the editor.

KSL 09/02/13 - 09:53 pm
Double post

It may be my duty to point out fallacies in your ridiculous comments.