Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HERE’S A RAVE for the man driving the black truck on North Belair Road this evening during rush hour. Thank you so much for letting me in. I know this must have been hard for you to do since you were driving with one hand on the steering wheel because your other hand only had one finger on it!

DID YOU KNOW that President Obama added another dog to his household? The taxpayers currently pay a dog attendant $102,000 a year to take care of the first dog because the first lady and the two daughters are too busy to feed and walk the current dog.

THE AIKEN COUNTY library is not a safe place to leave your children.

WHY IS AUGUSTA Regional Airport going to buy a new fire truck to fight building fire? Doesn’t the county have a fire station a mile from the airport? Waste of tax dollars.

RAVE TO Augusta Cares. I e-mailed them with a concern about the six foot overgrowth along Oates Creek in Turpin Hill and crews came out and took care of the problem. Martha, you rock!

RANT TO WHOEVER stole my camper from Skinner Mill Self Storage. You not only took away my family time at the lake, but you took away something my father left me which meant the world to me and cannot be replaced. I just hope you are found and what goes around comes around!!! If anyone knows anything about this, please contact Skinner Mill Self Storage and they will have my contact information.

THE NEW HEALTH CARE laws are primarily needed by those who don’t have insurance. So if the Congress people have insurance, why do they need to be pushed to have to buy other insurance? First, you get the uninsured people covered.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/01/13 - 08:35 pm
"Oprah and the rest of us civilized people..."

That's a novel way of saying self-righteous lying racists.

Why don't you work yourself into a frenzy, gather a group of like-half minded people and go looking for some white senior citizen to get, "Payback for Trayvon"? Along with making up stories about how you've been discriminated against -not, gang violence against lone disabled whites is THE thing to do.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/01/13 - 08:38 pm
Talk about entitled.

The first ranter cut someone off in traffic and takes offense at their reaction.

Classic.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/01/13 - 09:53 pm
Rant #7

Ahy, yah yah yah yah yahy. You will need to find another term than murder to use in your venting. Zimmerman was acquitted.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/02/13 - 01:14 am
"TRAYVON MARTIN’S murder was

"TRAYVON MARTIN’S murder was brutal as well. So Oprah and the rest of us civilized people are quite correct to make certain to properly refer to his murder by Zimmerman as disgusting and any other negative terms or comparison that we make."

Please go back into the hole you crawled out of. You don't like the juries verdict? Move to another country.

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 09/02/13 - 02:22 am
102K

For dog attendant?

I'm available!

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 09/02/13 - 02:31 am
Oprah

And the "rest of us civilized people"?

Oprah is a construct, nothing more, nothing less. Golly gee whoopee do! Anyone, that follows that women with baited breath is a yo-yo on a string. Not a puppeteer, but a puppetee. A string waiting to be yanked. A stick waiting to be shaken. A puppet with a hand so far up your.... you wouldn't have an original thought if it was sneezed on ya!

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 09/02/13 - 02:35 am
Rant 6

To have your camper stolen is about as low as it goes! I would think the storage place would have some liability, after all, why else store in such a place?

corgimom
corgimom 09/02/13 - 02:37 am
Anything that Oprah is

Anything that Oprah is involved in, makes me turn around and head the other way.

corgimom
corgimom 09/02/13 - 02:41 am
Rant #2- The President has an

Rant #2- The President has an aide that makes $102,000 per year. Among his many tasks are occasionally walking the dog.

This isn't anything new, there have been all kinds of Presidential dogs in the White House.

Does anybody really think that George and Laura Bush walked their dog by themselves, or the Clintons, or the Fords, or any of the other Presidents that owned dogs?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 03:22 am
Stay With Kids at Library

Maybe the person should stay at the library with her children if it's dangerous?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/13 - 03:45 am
Library

Yeah, that ranter is guilty of child endangerment for leaving her children at a place she knows to be dangerous. She has incriminated herself.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 04:05 am
Holden Caulfied and I Hate Phonies

The Chronicle today is running a national story about J.D. Salinger, author of Catcher in the Rye. There's a new 700 page bio out about him and a documentary film is coming, too. That book made me laugh, think, feel and reflect so much.

When I was just starting out in the Army I ran into another guy who had read Catcher. We talked about Holden Caulfield's dislike of phony suitcases and every other phony thing over a many a beer while we found similarities to people in our unit. Think we could find any phonies in Augusta?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/13 - 04:35 am
California

In two separate stories in the 5:00 NPR news this morning, I heard that that the percentage of Republicans in California has dropped to 20% (from what, they didn't say) and also that the fires raging in and around Yosemite National Park were started by marijuana growers.

I guess the growers were setting up some freshly-charred ground for next year's crop.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 04:19 am
Smiles in the Background

LL, I looked at those photos about the Commission you suggested on the other thread. That smile in the background when Donnie Smith was being sworn in was something.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/13 - 04:24 am
Item

Yeah, they make a nice couple.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 04:30 am
In A Big Glass Case

LL, certain things I'm going to leave alone today since I'm in a Catcher in the Rye mood. For situations like that Holden Caulfield said:

"Certain things they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone."

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 04:31 am
Blaming the Fire on Marijuana Growers

More likely beer guzzling, cigarette smokers tossing them out the window.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/02/13 - 04:48 am
I see the Black Racists

and some media staff are still dragging that case out?

I guess they are upset they couldn't get a Riot or the level of NEWS coverage out of it they wanted.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 04:53 am
Clemson Jumps to Number 4

The Bleacher Report has Clemson ranked number 4 now. UGA dropped to 13 while South Carolina is 7. Alabama number 1, Ohio St. 2 and Oregon 3.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/02/13 - 05:38 am
Dang River #4?

Don't get me wrong I love Clemson. My brother went there. I also love USC and Georgia. Sometimes that can be awful hard when they play each other. Did USC drop a spot even though they won?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 05:47 am
Shrimp, that's the Bleacher

Shrimp, that's the Bleacher Report. Other rankings could be different. Yep, Carolina dropped.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 05:48 am
Meet the Press

I watched Meet the Press yesterday and they had conservative Bill Kristol and Robert Gibbs, Obama’s former press secretary, on. When Kristol asked why Democrats criticized Bush for leading us into Iraq, yet now support Obama attacking Syria? Gibbs indignantly said the administration is now sure chemical weapons are being used while in Iraq they were in fact never used. Kristol immediately corrected Gibbs and told him Saddam Hussein had most certainly used chemical weapons on his own people. Kristol beamed and Gibbs fumed.

ROBERT GIBBS: Let's understand the fundamental difference from Iraq, right? We know that there are chemical weapons and they have been used. We're still looking for the chemical weapons in Iraq.
BILL KRISTOL: Saddam used chemical weapons.
ROBERT GIBBS: Right.
BILL KRISTOL: Against his own citizens, actually.

pops1
pops1 09/02/13 - 05:56 am
Tired of hearing about

Tired of hearing about Zimmermans acquittal and Martins so-called murder!
OJ was acquitted over 2 brutal murders and the "civilized " crowd doesn't speak of that now, do they?
Get a life and get over it. Justice has been served already.

corgimom
corgimom 09/02/13 - 06:29 am
Riverman, in CA, any rural

Riverman, in CA, any rural area, you need to be careful where you go. You never know when you are going to walk into a pot farm, complete with booby traps.

And yes, the pot growers are all over the place there. I believe what was said.

It's been that way for 40 years now. I lived for 3 miserable months in Humboldt County, pot growing capital of California, and the Forest Service would print public announcements in the paper warning people to be very careful out in the woods. It's not like it is in GA.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/13 - 06:58 am
It's not like it is in GA.

Ain't nothing like Georgia....yeeeaaa--yippee

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/13 - 07:01 am
Friends in low & high places...:)

You know I keep telling yall that many read us from all over the place...well this is a tidbit from Peach....she lives in one of those "northern states".....even yankees love us...but she has lived here.

When you talk of all that good Southern food, it makes me very homesick. I love banana pudding and other foods that are mentioned. These people up here never heard of some of this stuff. When I was growing up in Augusta the Dixie Pig was the place to hang out. Was down on East Boundary, great hamburgers and cokes were 5 cents. This really dates me.
I had a small garden and planted okra, you'd think I was nuts, all the neighbors came to watch it grow. And it grew...was very good except I was the only one in the family that ate it. Enjoy reading all the post.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/13 - 07:33 am
Speaking of East Boundary

I also remember Greenes drive inn there...what a great place for shrimp....but they cost more than 5 cents..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/13 - 07:11 am
I saw something this am that made me think!

A picture of crumbling Detroit......the caption was...

FIX SYRIA----WE CAN"T EVEN FIX DETROIT....ain't that the truth.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/02/13 - 07:31 am
Not germane

... to anything in particular, but while reading all the domestic news this tune from the eighties, Silent Running, with its line, "Teach the children quietly for someday sons and daughters will rise up where we stood still." just popped into my head:

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/02/13 - 08:01 am
Martin Murder

"TRAYVON MARTIN’S murder was brutal as well. So Oprah and the rest of us civilized people are quite correct to make certain to properly refer to his murder by Zimmerman as disgusting and any other negative terms or comparison that we make"

WELL STATED!! I will ALWAYS be convinced that it was premeditated murder!!

Court rules in probation case

ATLANTA -- The Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision this morning concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor ...