Augusta man drowns while kayaking

A 61-year-old Augusta man died in a weekend kayaking accident on the Sa­vannah River, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

The body of Ralph Taylor was recovered from the shoals area of the river about 9:30 a.m. Sunday by members of the Richmond County Water Rescue dive team.

Cpl. Ben Payne of DNR’s Law Enforcement Division said Taylor and two companions launched their kayaks in the river Saturday afternoon below Savannah Rapids Pavil­ion and the Augusta Canal headgates.

As they traveled downstream through the shoals, Taylor became separated from his companions, who were experienced kayakers and had decided to paddle the South Carolina side of an island to take advantage of more challenging rapids.

Taylor paddled toward the Georgia side of the island, where he is believed to have drowned.

He was not wearing a life jacket, authorities said.

Darby
Darby 09/01/13 - 11:20 pm
I'm an excellent swimmer.

Still, there is no way you'd get me out on the water without a life jacket.

Well, maybe on a battleship or a cruiser.

I know it's too much to ask, but I hope he left no immediate family.

gargoyle
gargoyle 09/02/13 - 02:27 am
Condolences to his family,

Condolences to his family, May God be with them. If you get caught in a chute or have a medical emergency people close are more important than anything else .

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/13 - 02:45 am
What a shame. Yes, wear a

What a shame. Condolences to the family. I kayak and wear a life jacket. It can get dangerous out there at times.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/02/13 - 07:20 am
Sad

Ralph was a frat brother and a great guy.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/02/13 - 09:11 am
Um

Wear
Your
Life
Preserver!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/02/13 - 09:54 am
I'm sorry, but I have to ask

I'm sorry, but I have to ask why/how he became separated from the 2 other kayakers? If these guys were more experienced, then they should know the dangers of a less-experienced kayaker going off on his own...especially one without a life-vest?? No, they are not responsible for this poor man's death, but I'm sure they wish they had reconsidered their own plan that day. I'm sorry for all concerned.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/02/13 - 11:24 am
God bless

Mr. Taylor's soul but no life jacket is like no seatbelt. 61 is too experienced to not have thought of the dangers.