Girl, 2, recovering after near drowning at Augusta Mall

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 12:16 PM
Last updated 7:02 PM

A 2-year-old girl is recovering at Georgia Regents Medical Center after nearly drowning in an Augusta Mall fountain Wednesday.

Police said the child, identified as Alayna Ishmael, wandered from the children’s play area and got into the water fountain near the downstairs Sears entrance. A nurse who was walking by revived the unresponsive child, who was transported to the hospital in critical but stable condition.

Police said Thursday that the child’s mother was in the play area when the incident occurred. The mother told police she was searching for the toddler, who has disappeared among the other children, when she saw her with the nurse near the fountain.

my.voice
my.voice 08/29/13 - 12:25 pm
Wow, need an alarm on the

Wow, need an alarm on the fountain areas AM. Thank goodness for the altert hero.

butterflygina
butterflygina 08/29/13 - 12:45 pm
I surely can understand how

I surely can understand how quickly children can wander away. That is why parents must stay alert at all times. Don't know the situation here , but am advising folks, that when their children are playing, especially in public places..it is not the time to be playing on your cell phone, tablet etc...I'm glad this nurse stepped in and rescued this child!

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 08/29/13 - 12:46 pm
A water fountain near a

A water fountain near a children's play area.....great job ... :/

rocketserve
rocketserve 08/29/13 - 01:36 pm
Wow

Instead of laying any responsibility on the parent, some of you are so quick to blame the mall for the location of the play area and there not being alarms at the play area. The mall should close he play area if they are going to be held responsible for careless parents who lose track of their own kids in a 15x25 (approx) play area. I work at the mall and the play area is a good 20-25 yards away and for a two year old to be able to not only get there and get to the point of having to be rescued from drowning, the parent had to have their attention elsewhere for quite a few minutes.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/29/13 - 02:23 pm
They'll either close it altogether, or

perhaps do something a little more enlightened such as installing a mesh grid just below the surface of the water. I've seen that in many places.

Kids who escape and wander into the water look like they're walking on water.

Hope this little girl's recovery is a complete recovery.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/29/13 - 02:37 pm
The mall fountain

It's been there for what, 35 yrs? Seems like a very unlikely event.

allhans
allhans 08/29/13 - 03:12 pm
It can't always be the fault

It can't always be the fault of a thing....

just an opinion
just an opinion 08/29/13 - 03:14 pm
Mall video?

This should explain a lot

triscuit
triscuit 08/29/13 - 04:11 pm
This sad accident is NOT the

This sad accident is NOT the fault of the Mall or the fountain, but of whoever was supposed to be watching this child. At some point, and I believe society reached it LONG ago, people have to take responsibility for their own actions/inactions. That "play area" was installed decades after that fountain was put in, so yes, maybe it could have been placed in a different spot. But is ANY place at any Mall safe for a 2 year old to wander? I have seen children's toes cut off in a store escalator because a grownup was too stupid to not put shoes on their kids and then let them get on a escalator, clearly marked "RIDERS MUST WEAR SHOES." I've seen a baby almost dropped down an escalator because a stupid parent thought that the NO STROLLERS ON ESCALATORS applied to everyone but them.
I hope this child is okay, but quit blaming the Mall or store.

mllange
mllange 08/29/13 - 04:13 pm
The mall fountains may have

The mall fountains may have been there for 35+ years, but the children's play area has not. It is fairly new (a few years old I believe). The play area has an open entry with no door and depending on the day and time, it is overcrowded with children. My children have played in it before and it is very easy to loose sight of them. I have witnessed many parents run after their children who have escaped. I myself, am guilty of looking down at my cell phone while my kids are playing in there. I've also looked up and not been able to immediately pinpoint where my child is and had to walk around the area to find them (they were always hiding under the mushroom tree thingy), there is no feeling like the one that hits your heart when you can't immediately find them. According to the article, she was trying to find her daughter. Being that I have experienced this, I know her first reaction was to look around the play area and not at the pool. Usually other parents in the area will stop someone else's child from escaping. I've done this before when I see a little one headed to the exit (again, taking my eyes off of my own children to help someone else, it's not a negligent thing, it's a maternal instinct). This is a tragic event and this mother has my sympathy. It's easy to point the blame at her, I'm sure she's pointing it at herself as well. I know there are perfect finger pointing parents that let their children play in the mall playground that keep their eyes locked and following their child(ren) at all times, which is impossible due to the amount of kids running around. I can clearly see how this can happen. I wish her daughter the speediest and healthiest of recoveries and I wish I could hug her mother and let her know that while tragic, things happen. And in hindsight we think of everything we could have done to avoid it and we blame ourselves. Get well soon little Alayna.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 08/29/13 - 07:22 pm
Pointing Fingers

I do not think anyone is saying the mother is quilty of anything they just feel as I do this was not the fault of the Augusta Mall. I am sure management will look at all aspects of this event and make corrective action. How many playgrounds are near a pond? How many kiddie pools are by an olympic pool? Accidents happen and that is what this appears to be from media reports. I hope no suit is filed against the mall because we as consumers will pay for any settlement with rise in items we purchase. I hope this child is soon at home with her family.

rocketserve
rocketserve 08/29/13 - 07:22 pm
You are right...mllange

A perfect parent WILL keep track of their child at all times and not pay attention to their cell phone when they should be paying attention to their child.

allhans
allhans 08/29/13 - 07:49 pm
As a rule when you set a 2

As a rule when you set a 2 year old down they take off running (or tottering as fast as they can. It's fun to them). I have never seen one that didn't.

jmo
jmo 08/29/13 - 08:22 pm
The mother....

should have been more alert.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 08/29/13 - 09:55 pm
It doesn't take very much

It doesn't take very much water or much time for a drowning.
Answering a quick phone call, signing for a package at the door, going to another room for a towel...

My prayers for the family and this baby girl.

scoobynews
scoobynews 08/30/13 - 08:16 am
I am pretty sure there will

I am pretty sure there will now be a door on the play area in the near future or it is taken down all together.

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/30/13 - 08:59 am
PLAYGROUND

Why does there need to be a playground in the mall? It's a place for shoppers to buy stuff not entertain kids. The mother should be ashamed of herself for allowing this to happen. It was her neglect that permitted the poor child to make it to the fountain and nearly drown herself. I hope the child overcomes her mother and grows up healthy and smarter than momma.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/30/13 - 10:36 am
Play area

I think Chuckee Cheese has at least an idea of trying to keep kids from escaping - they have someone manning the door. Perhaps, in these public play places such as these, it would be a good idea to have someone in that capacity. It doesn't take away the responsibility of the parent / caregiver to maintain control of the child, but at least it would be another line of defense. Not that it couldn't happen, but I have never heard of a child getting abducted or getting out of a Chuckee Cheese without the parent/caregiver. They have that nifty black light stamp they verify. An ouce of prevention..

I pray this child recovers!

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 08/30/13 - 11:04 am
Proactive vs. Reactive

Might not be the mall's "fault" but we should expect public places to keep us safe. Placing a playground near a giant fountain was not a smart move.....usually how things are done in Augusta...reactive instead of proactive.

May God bless this family and allow a speedy and healthy recovery in Jesus' name!

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/30/13 - 11:30 am
international

How do you define "near"?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/31/13 - 08:18 pm
Visited the mall today and

Visited the mall today and the fountain has been drained and an officer was standing guard nearby the escalators. Notice the children's play area and the entrance opening is facing the escalators which doesn't appear to be too smart. Why not close this entrance to the play area off and open it up on the Dillard's entrance side of the playground?