2-year-old nearly drowns after falling in fountain at Augusta Mall

A 2-year-old nearly drowned after falling into a fountain Wednesday afternoon at the Augusta Mall.

At 4:50 p.m., the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office and emergency crews responded to the mall’s lower level near Sears. A nurse who was shopping at the mall was performing CPR on the child, according to Sgt. Shane McDaniel.

Upon arrival, emergency crews continued CPR. The child was revived and taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center where he was in critical condition.

jmo
jmo 08/29/13 - 03:12 am
My immediate reaction....

Where were the parents of a "2" year old?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/29/13 - 03:43 am
Well, first things

Well, first things first....I'm glad the child survived and hope and pray that he'll be okay. Also, thank God the nurse was there to do CPR.
Now...where were the parents of that 2-year old??

Folks, if you don't know how to do CPR, please break out of your comfort zone and learn it. You could save someone's life. AND, someone could save yours!

scoobynews
scoobynews 08/29/13 - 04:10 am
26 news fb posting said the

26 news fb posting said the child was with her mother's boyfriend. The mother was not there when it happened. I think I would be looking for a new boyfriend if I was her. Women today will leave their children with just about anyone.

allhans
allhans 08/29/13 - 07:05 am
Critical condition...let us hope he comes through this

Will the boyfriend be charged with neglect?

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/29/13 - 07:11 am
NEGLECT

How in the h.ll can you leave a two year old child alone long enough to nearly drown in a mall fountain? My lord, what is going on in todays society? Are all people devoid of rational thinking? Hope the poor neglected child recovers and momma gets a brighter baby sitting boy friend.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 07:23 am
Sad to hear this

Now what will the aftermath be....a huge wall around the pool....a fence of some sort....will the Mall see a law suit when someone just needs a buggy whupping...there is no way a 2 year old should be alone & unsupervised.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/29/13 - 07:32 am
The Augusta Mall should have

The Augusta Mall should have NO responsibility in this. It falls squarely on the person taking care of the child.You cannot guard against everything a child, young person, middle aged or old person could or would do.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/29/13 - 07:58 am
I pray

that the child will be ok. The law, to my understanding, is that a fence or barrier is to be around swimming pools in neighborhoods of more than one home. Seems as though that law would apply to mall fountains?

allhans
allhans 08/29/13 - 04:48 pm
Questions, here.

Questions here. .

corgimom
corgimom 08/29/13 - 08:21 am
Maybe he was busy with

Maybe he was busy with another child. Who knows, sometimes accidents just happen.

For a small child, it takes only seconds for them to drown. Their head is large and heavy for their body, and they don't know how to right themselves. They don't know that they should hold their breath and stand upright.

This is a terrible tragedy, no matter how it happened.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/29/13 - 08:24 am
I fear the worst since cpr

I fear the worst since cpr was required. That suggests the child was in the water long enough to suffer permanent damage. Let's pray not.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/29/13 - 09:08 am
Not all comments are welcome I see

But there are questions that do need answering.

leebraxjr
leebraxjr 08/29/13 - 09:59 am
Mall Water Fountain

I am glad the child is ok, and I agree with many of you it only takes a split second for a child to get into something. Like normal there are parts left out of this story. The boyfriend did not know what to do once the child was in the water, thank God a nurse was there. Second, little children that are not use to a lot of water, will stop breathing, sort of like crib death.

Tots
Tots 08/29/13 - 09:59 am
Names??

When will we learn the names of all involved ?
Many thanks to the nurse who performed CPR on the child..

TDW
TDW 08/29/13 - 10:13 am
Praying

the child fully recovers.

Tots
Tots 08/29/13 - 10:22 am
Forget the names...

Unfortunately i just found out who the child is.... I'm sending even more prayers for all involved..

Darby
Darby 08/29/13 - 10:31 am
"Unfortunately i just found out who the child

is.... I'm sending even more prayers for all involved.."

"Unfortunately"???

Can we try to be just a little more cryptic?

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/29/13 - 11:05 am
Summary

1. Prayers for this little one's complete recovery, though critical condition for a two-year-old is not promising.
2. Thanks to the nurse for her CPR.
3. It ain't the mall's fault!!
4. Adult with this child is responsible for what happened (irresponsible).
5. I think this is near that semi-enclosed play area.
6. A child this age should be carried in your arms or on your back, or in a stroller, or at the very least holding your hand. EVERY SECOND!!

Dorothy Kernaghan-Baez
Dorothy Kernaghan-Baez 08/29/13 - 11:09 am
How about instead of jumping

How about instead of jumping on the blame wagon, we take a big dose of "there but for the grace of God go I?"

Tots
Tots 08/29/13 - 11:30 am
Very well said Dorthy ..

Can some of you just remember that family and friends of that child may be reading your comments...So blast away if it makes you feel good about YOURSELF...But at least pray for the child to make a full recovery...

Tots
Tots 08/29/13 - 11:45 am
Two thumbs down ???

Wow!! and WHATEVER!!!!
Nothing cryptic in my comment Darby @11:31am,Not sure what your trying to imply .. I'm not biting.... The unfortunately ,if you must know,cause you did have all those question marks.... Is the fact it was someone i knew/know,as i had feared..

I would have still prayed ,as i did for this child or any child that was hurt.... She is a very lovely little girl that is like most two year olds full of engery.. Peace out !!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/29/13 - 12:17 pm
Tots,

at least we now know it was a girl. Thanks. I pray for her complete recovery too.

I wonder why AC didn't indicate the gender....

Tots
Tots 08/29/13 - 04:59 pm
Hi George @ 1:17,

From what i was told she is doing much better today,that's all i can say for now... She is not out of the woods yet,so please keep praying..
Thanks..

Darby
Darby 08/29/13 - 05:17 pm
"Nothing cryptic in my comment Darby

@11:31am, Not sure what your trying to imply .. I'm not biting.... "

Didn't ask you to bite. On the other hand, there was nothing cryptic there to YOU but it certainly was to anyone else who read it.

Then, though you said you weren't biting, you felt obligated to explain. It wasn't really necessary but thanks for sharing.

I just thought it was an odd use of the word "unfortunately". What happened was, to say the least, unfortunate. Couldn't understand why finding out the identities of the folks involved would be considered the same.

Regrettable, maybe, but unfortunate????

At any rate, let's hope everything works out for the best.

BTW - I didn't contribute to your "Thumbs Down" collection. Just in case you thought I did.

I pretty much reserve my thumbs down activities for my liberal friends and their far-out political views.

Darby
Darby 08/30/13 - 01:11 am
And one more thing. It may just be my

imagination, but it seems the Chronicle almost never follows up on stories like this. (Or any stories for that matter.) I'd like to hear how this tot fares in the future. Praying for her.

If you (anybody) learn anything, please pass it on.

Disc golf tournament benefits Augusta charity

APPLING — When Paul Childs runs a disc golf tournament, he wants it to mean something for the rest of the community. Childs he found a cause worth supporting: the Ronald McDonald House Charities.