Rants & Raves

I’M LOVING THE sheriff’s new Web site, www.richmondcountysheriffsoffice.com, especially the comment section under “Get In Touch.” You can make suggestions for improving driver safety and much more or ask questions on any subject. At some point the FAQ section will have some great questions and answers. Finally, the 21st century has arrived in Augusta.

IN SYRIA, THE Muslim Sunni are fighting the Muslim Shiites. This has gone on for roughly 1,400 years. Nobody can stop this until one or the other side kills off all its opponents. Meanwhile, President Obama and apparently all other U.S. politicians seem to think they can fix this historical battle, when they cannot.

NO BILL HAS BEEN introduced to exempt members of Congress from the Affordable Care Act, and they were never exempt in the first place. In fact, members of Congress and their staffers face additional requirements that most Americans don’t have to meet.

EGYPT IS IN absolute chaos, as is Syria, as is Iraq, as are dozens of places around the globe. At least a part of this chaos has been financed by U.S. taxpayers for years. We should cut off aid to any country that is not proved to be 100 percent on our side. That pretty much means we can only give foreign aid to Israel.

FOR THE PERSON upset over phones given away by the government, please do a little history research. That program was actually started by his predecessor, George W. Bush. If you have a problem with the program, give credit where credit is due. I personally don’t have a problem with providing phone access to the poor now that you can no longer find pay phones on every corner. So yes, I give credit where credit is due.

FIFTY YEARS AFTER John Kennedy was shot, many files are still sealed and withheld from public view. Why is that necessary? The only logical answer is to shield somebody with major influence in government from getting caught. I wonder who that was/is?

THIS IS TO THE Augusta Utilities Department. My water bill has been due on the 27th of every month for the past 20 years. I just got a bill with late penalties. They should have notified they were suddenly changing the due date, or at least highlighted it on the bill. This is a great way for them to get more money.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 08:46 am
haha coldbeer

YOU do have a point!

Now the answer is blowing in the wind...we need MORE cowbells..that will solve the world problems.....I have a big ajc to read & other junk to do...geeez....why can't I win the BIG one!!

talk toya later.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 08:49 am
Have you ever had a song stuck in your mind..

Well this one is stuck in mine.....to the guys this am..:)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/29/13 - 08:50 am
Applebee's kerfluffle

Anybody surprised to hear the other side of the story? This is not a slam or insult, just a personal observation. In my experience; the African American culture (not RACE, mind you) is more animated and emotional in their social expressions. Large groups tend to be loud and more boisterous; so it is very easy for me to see what happened in Charleston.
Not ALL mind you. We were at Bonefish for dinner and there were about 20-25 little old ladies seated adjacent to us, all black. You would not have known they were there unless you looked over there. I am supposing it was a church group, they were all in their Sunday best with hats, etc. Wish I had a picture because it was a beautiful sight to see all of these 70+ year old ladies enjoying a night out.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/29/13 - 08:56 am
nocnoc
nocnoc 08/29/13 - 08:57 am
corgimonitor - Knocks NOC NOC

Are you monitoring our Internet activities?☺
(jokingly said, in case you misunderstand the intent)

Keep posting you do come up with some good info
from time to time.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/29/13 - 08:56 am
Extremism

Corgimom quoted this from some story:

"While not all extremist groups are hate groups, all hate groups are extremist groups."

Don't forget this famous quote from former senator Barry Goldwater:

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/29/13 - 09:02 am
"25 Blacks asked to leave

"25 Blacks asked to leave South Carolina Restaurant
because 1 white customer felt threatened. It transpired
at the Wild Wing Cafe in North Charleston."

Failed to mention that the 25 piled into a wing joint with no reservations and insisted on being seated all together. The wing joint was busy, was not equipped for a group that large, and continued to seat smaller groups as tables became available instead of letting tables stand empty until there were enough tables for 25 in one area.

Failed to mention that some of the 25 began talking loudly about why "whitey" was being seated before them.

Failed to mention they were directly addressing their grievances to white customers who had been seated and intimidated one deaf customer who they thought was ignoring them.

Admittedly, the restaurant should have told them up front when they came in that they were not equipped to seat groups of 25 in the same location instead of letting them wait. But, at least TELL THE WHOLE STORY about TWO thoughtless actions instead of trying to make it an out and out racial issue. It was thoughtless of this group of 25 to walk into a restaurant and demand to be seated together and it was thoughtless of the restaurant to not tell them that it would be a long wait or simply tell them they could not accommodate them as a single group sitting.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/29/13 - 09:16 am
Dichotomy....They can't tell

Dichotomy....They can't tell the whole story....if they did, then the people would know the whole story. Then they can't further the racial divide.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/29/13 - 09:18 am
More Extremism

That was an interesting read from JTF’s link. I found a weak spot here:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2. Ideologies

e. Religion — Extremist ideology based on intolerance toward other religions. Anti-Semitism is a prime example of this ideology.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anti-Semitism has nothing to do with religion. Anti-Semites hate semitic peoples. That would include Jews, Muslims, Christians, other religious sects, and non-religious semites. The characteristic of semitic people is not their religion, but rather the region from whence they came, i.e., the Middle East and portions of Northern Africa.

Here is the entry for semitic people from Wikipedia:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In linguistics and ethnology, Semitic was first used to refer to a language family of largely Middle Eastern origin, now called the Semitic languages. This family includes the ancient and modern forms of Ahlamu, Akkadian (Assyrian-Babylonian), Amharic, Amorite, Arabic, Aramaic/Syriac, Canaanite/Phoenician/Carthaginian, Chaldean, Eblaite, Edomite, Ge'ez, Hebrew, Maltese, Mandaic, Moabite, Sutean, Tigre and Tigrinya, and Ugaritic, among others.

Semitic peoples and their languages, in both modern and ancient historic times, have covered a broad area bridging North Africa, Western Asia, Asia Minor and the Arabian Peninsula.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

harley_52
harley_52 08/29/13 - 10:25 am
seenitB4 - 07:46 am

Your sister is a wise woman. She has three out of four correct for sure and since we can't yet be sure if she's right about war in the mid-East. It WILL happen, just maybe not now. It would be better if it happens before Iran develops usable nuclear weapons.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/29/13 - 10:47 am
Corgimom, About Checkpoints

Corgimom, I have no problem whatsoever with our government strictly controlling our international borders and searching people coming into the country. It’s kind of ironic when speaking of checkpoints for Americans that many illegals can sneak over without any type papers or checks.

However, I don’t expect such treatment of Americans WITHIN our borders as you described can happen at the border with Mexico. A trip to the store should not require passing through checkpoints with armed police, lights aimed in your car and dogs running around it just daring you to make a funny move. THAT’S intimidating.

Paul Revere would have just ridden his horse around the checkpoint on the way to warning us of the British coming with their rules upholding the King's right to rule us. Constitution, Constitution, Constitution.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/29/13 - 10:53 am
The kinda story I'd like to see once in awhile

Store left open, lights left on after closing.

But Honest TEEN & Young Adult Shoppers still
paying for items by leaving $$$ on the checkout counter.

We do have good young people walking around being honest despite overwhelming temptations.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 11:13 am
Thanks harley for the compliment

But here is my worry..

The mountain folks have talked gloom & doom for YEARS...it is in their nature not to trust....when the year 2000 rolled over they said all computers would shut down & the end was coming then....some of the country talkers keep their audience on full alert for the end of time...i just can't live like that...it might come sooner than I would like but I can't live in constant fear & I'm afraid some do.

We may be in for another war.....but like I said earlier....some punks need some service under their belt...I'm sure it would make a man out of them because what we are doing now is not working!

later

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/29/13 - 11:32 am
A few likely reasons some John Kennedy files are sealed.

Summary: likely to protect the "good" political names of a lot of people, dead and alive, whose facts, innuendos and accusations did not check out.

harley_52
harley_52 08/29/13 - 11:50 am
seenitB4...

It wasn't just "mountain folks" who were preaching doom and gloom about Y2K, it was a widely accepted danger. The federal government spent $billions, state and local government as well as major corporations spent huge amounts of money as well.

I don't think people should live their lives in "constant fear," but that's a far cry from planning and preparing for the inevitable, or even the most likely.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 01:07 pm
Y2 scare

I understand the scare about the Y2K & the $$ spent getting ready for that...there is much more going on & I'm not putting it on the world wide web.....I don't want agents at my door.

Or her door either..:)

harley_52
harley_52 08/29/13 - 01:17 pm
seenitB4...

Don't blame you for that.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/29/13 - 02:54 pm
Some noteable Y2K failures

I worked a lot of Y2K projects in 1998-99

We found a lot of COBOL coders were lazy using only 2 spaces for some PICTURE, DATA Declaration etc... statements, instead of 4 digits statements. Some were forced to do so based on Pre-Printed fill in the blanks statements.

Some example I directly knew of:

Oak Ridge TN Y-12 storage area all doors unlocked at midnight plus 1

Several hospitals systems deleted patient files deemed to be out of date.

Utility company had to straighten out bills with penalties and interest attached. Some started turning off power and water.

A lot of Video stores tried to bill customers for multi-year overdue rentals.

1 Credit Card Company had to reprint 100's of 1000's of Jan & Feb 2000 statements.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/29/13 - 03:04 pm
A wise old saying that still applies.

It better to have it and not need it,
than to need it and not have it.

I also like

Its my $$$$ and I want it NOW! ☺

KSL
KSL 08/29/13 - 03:35 pm
One of my sons worked for a

One of my sons worked for a business that did, among other things, provide sub-contract computer consultants to major corporation and other such clients.

corgimom
corgimom 08/29/13 - 08:06 pm
Riverman, if those

Riverman, if those checkpoints find one drunk driver and saves one person's life, then that's fine with me.

Checkpoints don't bother me in the slightest. Maybe it's because I grew up in California and checkpoints are normal and routine to me. You'd really freak out if you lived there.

It never bothers me to go through a checkpoint, I am a licensed driver and keep my car insured and registered, and since I'm not a criminal nor a drug user, they can look in my car windows all they want. Anybody can look in my car windows. You won't see much.

However, I know that there are lots and lots of people in this world who think rules and laws don't apply to them. I've had my car hit by uninsured motorists, and I would gladly go through a daily checkpoint rather than have to pay for repairs to my car that someone else caused.

Again, I grew up in California, where uninsured and unlicensed motorists were all over- the illegal immigrants- and my outlook is different than yours.

corgimom
corgimom 08/29/13 - 08:09 pm
Ranter #6- The files are

Ranter #6- The files are still sealed because they contain information about people that are still living. They still have their right to privacy and confidentiality.