Rants & Raves

I’M LOVING THE sheriff’s new Web site, www.richmondcountysheriffsoffice.com, especially the comment section under “Get In Touch.” You can make suggestions for improving driver safety and much more or ask questions on any subject. At some point the FAQ section will have some great questions and answers. Finally, the 21st century has arrived in Augusta.

NO BILL HAS BEEN introduced to exempt members of Congress from the Affordable Care Act, and they were never exempt in the first place. In fact, members of Congress and their staffers face additional requirements that most Americans don’t have to meet.

EGYPT IS IN absolute chaos, as is Syria, as is Iraq, as are dozens of places around the globe. At least a part of this chaos has been financed by U.S. taxpayers for years. We should cut off aid to any country that is not proved to be 100 percent on our side. That pretty much means we can only give foreign aid to Israel.

FOR THE PERSON upset over phones given away by the government, please do a little history research. That program was actually started by his predecessor, George W. Bush. If you have a problem with the program, give credit where credit is due. I personally don’t have a problem with providing phone access to the poor now that you can no longer find pay phones on every corner. So yes, I give credit where credit is due.

FIFTY YEARS AFTER John Kennedy was shot, many files are still sealed and withheld from public view. Why is that necessary? The only logical answer is to shield somebody with major influence in government from getting caught. I wonder who that was/is?

THIS IS TO THE Augusta Utilities Department. My water bill has been due on the 27th of every month for the past 20 years. I just got a bill with late penalties. They should have notified they were suddenly changing the due date, or at least highlighted it on the bill. This is a great way for them to get more money.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/28/13 - 10:14 pm
Assyrian

Any word on whether the Chronicle website loss of service this afternoon was related to the Assyrian attack on the New York Times loss of service attack?

countyman
19082
countyman 08/28/13 - 10:31 pm
South Augusta

Dunkin Donuts and Firehouse Subs are suppose to share the new building on Peach Orchard in South Augusta....

Approved- Five Guys
Rumor- Denny's
Under construction- 3 acre development next to the new Walgreens
Coming soon- Dunkin Donuts and Firehouse Subs

countyman
19082
countyman 08/29/13 - 01:44 am
North Richmond and West Augusta

The economy must be really improving in the metro area. North Richmond and West Augusta are really booming in 2013. The Cabela's, upscale movie theater in North Richmond and the Whole Foods, H&M, Michael Kors, Texas Roadhouse, Genghis Grill in West Augusta. The Bass Pro store coming to Martinez is located right next to West Augusta, and will help attract new investment into West Augusta.

And just when you thought the massive commercial development was over.

The 44 acre mixed-use development has now expanded to 69 acres. The development is on the next planning commission agenda, and the property is located at Walton Way Extension/I-20. This new mixed-use development, and the surrounding area of ADP should become apart of the Augusta Exchange in the future. The Augusta Exchange is the best chance to create the first edge city. The city should build an nice urban park, and leave space for private investors to build around the property.

Scroll down to #6....

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/28/13 - 10:27 pm
Traffic Question

I have one. At an intersection with multiple lanes and a traffic signal; between a person turning right onto Maple avenue and a person turning left onto Maple avenue, who has the right of way?

I suspect the sheriff's website answer will be, “It depends.”

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 08/29/13 - 12:00 am
Little Lamb, the thought

Little Lamb, the thought crossed our minds here in the newsroom, but I believe it was strictly a hardware issue.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/29/13 - 04:21 am
Say what???

I suppose next you will tell us that no large companies or unions have asked to be exempt from Emperorcare either. Have another cup of kool-aid and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/29/13 - 05:26 am
Exactly Roadkill

Do people just make stuff up and send it in? We all know Congress opted out of Obamacare.
I don't know where this person got their info but I'm guessing the Onion.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/29/13 - 05:29 am
Richmond County Exempt From Obamacare

See how easy it is to spread disinformation.

dade30906
dade30906 08/29/13 - 06:34 am
Five decades after Dr. King's

Five decades after Dr. King's "I Have a Dream"
speech this crap's still going on.
25 Blacks asked to leave South Carolina Restaurant
because 1 white customer felt threatened. It transpired
at the Wild Wing Cafe in North Charleston.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 06:51 am
In Love With Words

Be careful of words,
even the miraculous ones.
For the miraculous we do our best,
sometimes they swarm like insects
and leave not a sting but a kiss.
They can be as good as fingers.
They can be as trusty as the rock
you stick your bottom on.
But they can be both daisies and bruises.
Yet I am in love with words.
They are doves falling out of the ceiling.
They are six holy oranges sitting in my lap.
They are the trees, the legs of summer,
and the sun, its passionate face.
Yet often they fail me.
I have so much I want to say,
so many stories, images, proverbs, etc.
But the words aren't good enough,
the wrong ones kiss me.
Sometimes I fly like an eagle
but with the wings of a wren.
But I try to take care
and be gentle to them.
Words and eggs must be handled with care.
Once broken they are impossible
things to repair.

Anne Sexton

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/29/13 - 07:00 am
Dade

What were the circumstances? Were they acting like thugs using foul language and staring at people? Were they making crude comments within earshot of women who were there about those women? I've experienced this at the Applebees on Peach Orchard and after letting the manager know left for somewhere else to have dinner. I haven't been back since! How about some documentation to back that up!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 07:01 am
Just wondering

Who would come & bail us out of trouble...anyone?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/29/13 - 07:02 am
Obama Phones

I don't have a problem with someone having a phone. I have a problem with them having multiple phones!!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 07:07 am
Coming soon- Dunkin Donuts and Firehouse Subs

Some get a Cheesecake Factory....:)

This is what you need CSRA...

Take a lookie/see

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 07:19 am
EEEWWW

That razor blade & falling into a bowl of alcohol gave me the cringes all night long Coldbeer...thanks a lot!

I looked like Miley Cyrus twitching & jerking! :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 07:22 am
Kinda sorta maybe

Finally, the 21st century has arrived in Augusta.

I like the new website though.....you can see pics of some of theguys in the news.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/29/13 - 08:36 am
More whining about DUI checkpoints from me.

I am watching WJBF and they are showing footage of old checkpoints as they announce Richmond and Aiken counties will team to form joint checkpoints over the Labor Day weekend. They had officers looking in the windows of ALL cars, front and back seats, and dogs scratching all over the cars as they went through. I mean it is a third world scene worthy of a national border checkpoint between warring countries. What have we come to with our disregard of the Constitution?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/29/13 - 07:38 am
Good Morning "Best R&R" America

"IN SYRIA, THE Muslim Sunni are fighting the Muslim Shiites. This has gone on for roughly 1,400 years. Nobody can stop this until one or the other side kills off all its opponents. Meanwhile, President Obama and apparently all other U.S. politicians seem to think they can fix this historical battle, when they cannot."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/29/13 - 07:43 am
There is no bill to exempt

There is no bill to exempt Congress from Obamacare. Correct. That would require following the actual rules of the Constitution, which the President doesn't seem to be able to do. Congress WAS in fact, granted a waiver, just like all of his union buddies. Why do liberals think that if you just firmly state that something is true, that the world must believe it? What is their aversion to the truth?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/29/13 - 07:43 am
Anyone Who Doubts Value of High School Sports

Look at the photo and story of the Josey HS football team practicing. Sports takes these young men from high risk neighborhoods and puts them in competitive and positive activities that are self image enhancing. It will stick with them for life. It worked for me.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/29/13 - 07:45 am
Stay

the hell out of that Detroit Crime Neighborhood and begin drilling for US oil today.......

What do you think Russia and China will feel like when we drop the first missile??

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/29/13 - 07:46 am
"FOR THE PERSON upset over

"FOR THE PERSON upset over phones given away by the government......."

Still blaming Bush? It didn't include mobile phones when the program started.....you didn't see people getting 3 and 4 land line phones installed in their home and selling them for drugs like you see now with the mobile phones. sheesh. Why can't people hold this President responsible for ANYTHING. Will it be Bush's fault when he starts another war?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 07:46 am
Some folks are scared

Last night I called my sis in the N Ga mountains .....when I got off the phone i needed a drink...she said & believes..

The dollar will crash soon
The mideast will erupt in war--bigtime
Money won't mean a thing to us
It will take $150 to fill your tank

Geez....what the news can do to some folks....bad news sites.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/29/13 - 07:48 am
Bomb Syria

I say we bomb Syria. I don’t care who it is, bomb either side, just drop some bombs and let them sort it out. We need some action on the news. Shock and awe the heck out of somebody.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/29/13 - 07:51 am
Traffic Question

If a car is in the right lane turning right, and a car is in the left lane turning left, there is no right of way problem. Stay in your lane and keep moving. If the car turning right is in the left lane, then the car turning left must yield to the car turning right.

---Unless there are signs posted stating otherwise.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/29/13 - 07:51 am
seenit

Your sister may not be far off. As it is right now, if we fire a missile into Syria I believe it may be WWIII. Money is already losing value and it currently takes about $90 to fill my tank. We're not far from that! I'm not a Doomsday Prepper but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/29/13 - 07:53 am
Traffic

If a frog had wings would he have a bruise on his butt?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/13 - 07:54 am
coldbeer

Some of the mountain folks say the world will end soon ...like this year!

I do think we are flirting with a world war.....some might think with Obama in charge it is the best time to decimate the USA>

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/29/13 - 08:00 am
Technical analysis indicators for the stock market

Technical analysis indicators for the stock market are amazing. I've been out of the market for a little bit because they were predicting a big drop. Well what happens...war. By the way, many are predicting the best time to get back in is 9 Sept. after the Labor Day weekend and Jewish holiday. So does that mean the war action will be settled that fast? We will see.

Think 'worst,' nuke study says

WASHINGTON - A U.S. science advisory report says a key lesson from Japan's Fukushima nuclear accident is that the nation's nuclear industry needs to focus more on the highly unlikely but ...