Rants & Raves

IT’S TIME that the members of the Rich­mond County Board of Education put the students first. Those board members who don’t vote to get a new superintendent need to be voted out, too. The children of Richmond County need new leadership now.

IT IS A SAD STATE of affairs when the police are in fear for their lives when confronted by teenagers. The problem is that those kids have no respect for the law and no morals. Many of those children are armed and very dangerous. Where are their parents?

WHY DOES THE ‘LOCAL’ news insist on reporting national and international stories? We already have a half-dozen 24/7 networks doing that. Less Walter Cronkite, more local interest items, please.

AL-JAZEERA AMERICA? Would we have had Radio Berlin America during World War II? We will never beat these guys.

I AM A MIDDLE-AGE woman. I applied for food stamps 2 ½ months ago and am having trouble getting results. I have yet to receive information either of a denial of acceptance. I am sorry to say this about your beautiful city, but I think your system stinks. Unfortunately, every time I go to the office, I get nothing but the runaround.

OPRAH WINFREY MADE $77 million last year, but it doesn’t stop her from being a racist.

I HAD SURGERY and was a patient in University Hospital on the 10th floor. I had many people assisting me during my stay, and every one of them went out of the way to be helpful and nice. I appreciate being treated with dignity and respect.

IT IS AMAZING that “thank you” is not on the menu at some of these fast-food chains. In times past, any amount of your business was appreciated by using such words as “thank you,” but not anymore. The best you can expect is “here you go.” And sometimes not even that. I realize these are changing times, but one thing that should never change is your gratitude.

FOR THE PERSON correcting the WJBF news department in the classification of peanuts as a plant. Please try using an online dictionary before you make corrections. From the Free Online Dictionary I quote “bush: noun 1. a low plant with many branches that arise from or near the ground. 2. a small cluster of shrubs appearing as a single plant.”

THE MUSLIM Brotherhood has called for “anger” in Egypt. What else is new?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/28/13 - 09:49 am
Putting HA on the mural hahah

Yes she will be there but I doubt yall can pick her out..."she" won't look like her avatar....nooo nooo...Rebel has an idea & he will have to tell yall which one she is...LOL

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 09:54 am
Good luck, seenit. :-)

Good luck, seenit. :-) With the stalker I have here on the AC page, anonymity is a good thing.

allhans
allhans 08/28/13 - 09:56 am
Expectations were so high for

Expectations were so high for all Obama would give us before he took office...make our house payments, free gas for the car... he would take care of everything....that many just can't seem to get past the idea that it didn't' happen like they were promised.

I agree with CG.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/28/13 - 10:00 am
hah hah Angela

Don't worry...the stalker will never know....youse guys have me going now & I think I can get this thang painted & posted....it could become my passion .....♥

Have some work to do....talk toya later.

countyman
20627
countyman 08/28/13 - 10:12 am
KSL.... Many people who have

KSL.... Many people who have lived in both cities, and visited both 0f them agree with my statement. Both Summerville/Virginia Highland are pretty uppity, majority white, and the residents are mostly upper middle class/rich/wealthy. Several neighborhoods in Augusta can resemble the changes seen in Atlanta. Harrisburg = Grant Park, Olde Town=Inman Park, Laney Walker= West End.

ColdBeer... Nobody said the Wrightsboro road area was included in South Augusta. The only time I even mentioned Wrightsboro rd was in reference to Midtown. The area of Wrightsboro rd east of Highland Avenue.

Dichotomy... The only rumor is the Denny's restaurant. Both the Dunkin Donuts and Five Guys are included on the planning and zoning website. The Five Guys is approved, and could start building anytime they chose too. The 3 acre development next to the Walgreens under construction will bring new options also.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/28/13 - 10:15 am
Context

In the context of your statement you put it there!
"The next Target should open along I-520 in South Augusta once they finally wrap up the construction unless the business chooses the Belair/South West Augusta area. Many new homes and subdivisions are underway off Belair rd(not the South or North Belair rd in Columbia County), Jimmie Dyess, and Gordon Hwy(west of Jimmie Dyess). Either way the city needs to work on building an town center development in the rural part of South Augusta(Peach Orchard between Brown rd/Hwy 88 or Mike Padgett between Old Waynesboro/Brown rd)."

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/28/13 - 10:18 am
Smurfs

RK, what they didn't say is that this is the invasion of the Smurfs. They were sent to quietly monitor us but this one slipped throught the evaluation!!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/28/13 - 10:19 am
Countyman

Please stop defending yourself - (I'm just part of the peanut gallery) (bush, plant or root) I lived on the south side of Augusta in the 60's as a kid on Blueberry Dr. - our teen town was at the end of that road - we walked to it and walked back in the dark - we were safe - if it could be safe again it would grow. Don't put the Section 8 folks in there unless you can guarantee they will live as upstanding citizens! Now Countyman can have a club on the mural and I can just keep running bare!

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/13 - 10:24 am
Lilly

Ha. It took you long enough.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/28/13 - 10:34 am
Next get together

CBBP, I know you can't plan around just one person but I will be back in town the weekend of Sep 14 and 15 if that will work for most of the rest. If not, drink a cool one for me.

KSL
KSL 08/28/13 - 10:45 am
countyman

I know all about Virginia Highland. As a matter of fact, I was there a couple of weeks ago visiting a first cousin who lives there.

clayhill
clayhill 08/28/13 - 11:19 am
CobaltGeorge, Obama will

CobaltGeorge, Obama will attack the Syrian army and key sites. Then Iran will attack Israel; then all heck breaks loose in the Middle East. We will sucked into another Vietnam.
Let then fight and kill themselves. Syria and Iran would make a very nice parking lot with one push of the finger; but you would have to wait 100 years to use it.
If it were not for the oil, would we really care?

clayhill
clayhill 08/28/13 - 11:20 am
CobaltGeorge, Obama will

If it were not for the oil, would we really care?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 11:26 am
If the liberals would let us

If the liberals would let us use our own oil, would we really care about anyone else's oil?

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/28/13 - 11:38 am
Syria ...

As a parent of a son up at Ft. Bragg who is sitting on rapid deployment standby & not allowed to be more than two hours to be ready, willing & able with one notification I am NOT a happy camper at this moment! Let the idiots in Syria kill each other off & let our groups stay the hell out of there!!!

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/28/13 - 11:39 am
Sorry ... *troops*

Sorry ... *troops*

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/28/13 - 11:47 am

My nephew flew a C130 in and out of Afganistan (sp) - hey girl - just send good energy - you can be on the mural - I can just see it!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/28/13 - 11:56 am
JTF

I never understood who you were a fan of - GA, GATech or SC? We are GATech in this house and my husband didn't wear a coat and tie unless he had to -he and frat brothers were always the ones streaking or taking down the other frat houses stuff - smart and fun GOB! We say most UGA fans couldn't find Athens if they wanted to -them is fighting words!

KSL
KSL 08/28/13 - 12:12 pm
Lily

Which fraternity?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/28/13 - 12:17 pm
RK we're looking at Sep 28-29 and Oct 4-5

If those don't work let me know! Jake is supposed to be in town those dates.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/28/13 - 12:19 pm
My Fraternity was GDI at GSU

I attended classes at the Flame and Majored in Refreshment and ART appreciation!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/28/13 - 01:13 pm
Cheesecake anyone...aaahhh

OOh I'm loving this news,....another great sit down restaurant....stop dreaming in S Augusta...we have room for more folks!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/28/13 - 01:38 pm
JTF, Great Article

Even if it was slanted toward UGA it was a great article on the rivalry with "Clempson." Yeah, Grizzard made me laugh when he talked about the Tigers. When I was growing up, it was a huge game and it's a shame they don't play every year. I mean EVERYONE says Florida is their big rivalry and UGA jumps in there with them. They should keep the rivals who also view them as their big game.

By the way, one of those Butler field goals resulted from a rope attached to the goalpost keeping it straight being cut as the ball was in the air and the posts moving to the right with the ball barely slipping inside. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. SATURDAY!!!

USC vs. UNC tomorrow.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/28/13 - 01:39 pm
Cheesecake

seenit, if you're talking about Hotlanta, not no but 7734 NO!! I'd rather slide down a 100 foot razor blade into a pool of alcohol than live there. Just driving to and through ARC is bad enough with all the texters and left lane campers doing 51 mph while chatting on their phones and the wanna be's that match speed with a vehicle beside them to slow down everyone else on the road.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/28/13 - 01:59 pm
Frat Beta Kapp or something like that

My favorite on the wall- "street girls bringing in sailors must pay for room in advance - Virginia Beach 1942"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/28/13 - 06:36 pm
Boy Oh Boy, What A CIC!

White House Says Ousting Assad Is ‘Not Their Aim’
By EmilyH on August 28, 2013

The White House said today that it is ‘not their aim’ to oust Assad, but to simply ‘punish’ him for his chemical weapons attacks on the country. Many of Nobama’s critics are wondering if this will do anything to end the massive bloodshed. It has been the policy of the United States to oust this murderous leader for two years, so why is Nobama going against what the Nation wants?

Apparently it means more to Nobama to watch Oprah star in The Butler and get teary-eyed. And he would rather give Bashar Al-Assad a spanking than oust him from power so he can no longer kill innocent people.

The White House also feels that when they do touch down in Syria, the war “will take hours, not days.”

Well, in case you have forgotten, Mr. President, we were attacked on 9/11, and we’ve been in Iraq and Afghanistan ever since. That’s been, um, over 12 years now…

Not sure what the President is thinking, but perhaps he’s too busy watching movies to get a real sense of what’s going on in Syria, Iran, and Israel. Maybe he forgot that Israel is our ally and Iran is threatening retaliation. If Nobama doesn’t make a conscious choice to do some real damage to Assad’s regime, more innocent lives are going to pay the price.

Put down the remote, Mr. President. There are lives at stake…

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/13 - 07:14 pm
River

Yep, the rivalry really heated up during Danny Ford's reign. Then the probation knocked Clemson for a loop. UF will always be UGA biggest rival, followed by Auburn and then Tenn. But, there are those of us who remember those great UGA/Clemson battles.