Rants & Raves

IT’S TIME that the members of the Rich­mond County Board of Education put the students first. Those board members who don’t vote to get a new superintendent need to be voted out, too. The children of Richmond County need new leadership now.

IT IS A SAD STATE of affairs when the police are in fear for their lives when confronted by teenagers. The problem is that those kids have no respect for the law and no morals. Many of those children are armed and very dangerous. Where are their parents?

WHY DOES THE ‘LOCAL’ news insist on reporting national and international stories? We already have a half-dozen 24/7 networks doing that. Less Walter Cronkite, more local interest items, please.

AL-JAZEERA AMERICA? Would we have had Radio Berlin America during World War II? We will never beat these guys.

I AM A MIDDLE-AGE woman. I applied for food stamps 2 ½ months ago and am having trouble getting results. I have yet to receive information either of a denial of acceptance. I am sorry to say this about your beautiful city, but I think your system stinks. Unfortunately, every time I go to the office, I get nothing but the runaround.

OPRAH WINFREY MADE $77 million last year, but it doesn’t stop her from being a racist.

I HAD SURGERY and was a patient in University Hospital on the 10th floor. I had many people assisting me during my stay, and every one of them went out of the way to be helpful and nice. I appreciate being treated with dignity and respect.

IT IS AMAZING that “thank you” is not on the menu at some of these fast-food chains. In times past, any amount of your business was appreciated by using such words as “thank you,” but not anymore. The best you can expect is “here you go.” And sometimes not even that. I realize these are changing times, but one thing that should never change is your gratitude.

FOR THE PERSON correcting the WJBF news department in the classification of peanuts as a plant. Please try using an online dictionary before you make corrections. From the Free Online Dictionary I quote “bush: noun 1. a low plant with many branches that arise from or near the ground. 2. a small cluster of shrubs appearing as a single plant.”

THE MUSLIM Brotherhood has called for “anger” in Egypt. What else is new?

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/27/13 - 05:50 pm
AWWW What the heck, it is the calm before the Next War.

Question: Peanut Bush or Plant?

Let me consult the hands down top expert about Peanuts .
yep! he repeatedly calls it a Plant.

Unlike most plants, the peanut plant flowers above the ground, but fruits below ground.

OR

It is an annual herbaceous plant growing 30 to 50 cm (1.0 to 1.6 ft) tall.

Also since it is an "ANNUAL" it is a PLANT, not a Bush.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/27/13 - 07:55 pm
@5

If you mentioned your race, then I may have an answer to your rant.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/27/13 - 07:57 pm
"Thank You"

Is that some other foreign language?

countyman
20120
countyman 08/27/13 - 08:28 pm
Great news for Nocnoc and Dichotomy

The Walgreens/3 acre development is already under construction, and now Dunkin Donuts is coming to South Augusta. Hopefully the approved Five Guys and the rumored Denny's can begin construction soon. The next Target should open along I-520 in South Augusta once they finally wrap up the construction unless the business chooses the Belair/South West Augusta area. Many new homes and subdivisions are underway off Belair rd(not the South or North Belair rd in Columbia County), Jimmie Dyess, and Gordon Hwy(west of Jimmie Dyess). Either way the city needs to work on building an town center development in the rural part of South Augusta(Peach Orchard between Brown rd/Hwy 88 or Mike Padgett between Old Waynesboro/Brown rd). The Mcbean area of South Augusta and the city limits of Hephzibah both need to become more suburban. The Bennock Mill area of South Augusta and the city limits of Blythe both need to become exurbs.

The restaurant Pita Pit is coming soon to Evans....

countyman
20120
countyman 08/27/13 - 09:07 pm
Medical District

The firm building the new $11 million 4-5 story apartment building in the Medical District. The same company recently build this very nice residential building in downtown Greenville.

I can't wait for the Medical District to offer numerous shops, grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc. The city must improve the public transportation system to help increase the foot traffic.

The new Buona Caffe at 1858 Central Avenue, Purple Cow Frozen Yogurt shop is opening at 1419 Monte Sano, new residential at 2471/2473 Wrightsboro rd, townhomes at 1861 Central Ave, doctors office at 2300 Wrightsboro rd, etc...

Summerville is the Virginia Highland(Atlanta neighborhood) of Augusta..

Summerville

Virginia Highland

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/27/13 - 09:57 pm
Truth Detector Alarm

A few days ago, Countyman told us here that he does not post opinions — instead he just gives us facts. Here are examples from above that disprove his statement:

When you use the words "need to become," you have expressed an opinion; not a fact.

countyman
20120
countyman 08/27/13 - 10:49 pm
Facts vs Opinions

I clearly explained how I rarely give my opinion compared to providing actual facts.

KSL
KSL 08/28/13 - 12:11 am
Summerville/Virginia Highlands

LOL

No, LMAO

Actually rolling in the floor doing it.

Darby
Darby 08/28/13 - 12:24 am
"The problem is that those kids have no

respect for the law and no morals."

Oh, they have morals. Just very poor ones.

And as for the lady who wants our money in the form of food stamps.

Maybe you don't need them. You certainly don't get them simply by demanding them.

KSL
KSL 08/28/13 - 12:32 am
Darby

She thinks she is ENTITLED to them because she exists.

rebellious
20737
rebellious 08/28/13 - 12:42 am
Countyman

Tell me again how good I got it, Boss! From Cool Hand Luke, I wish you would stop bein so good to me , Capn

rebellious
20737
rebellious 08/28/13 - 12:43 am
Or

better said, don't tinkle down my back and tell me it's raining.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/28/13 - 01:33 am
Failure Communicate

"What we have here is a failure communicate."

Aren't the personalities on here something?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/28/13 - 01:36 am
Peanuts are peanuts

Peanuts are peanuts. Don't lose too much sleep over them.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/28/13 - 01:49 am
Looking for "stamps"

The problem You're facing is one of "true need".

Don't get me wrong, you may have "true need", but unless you fit the form, you'll have a very hard time getting assistance.

Perhaps if you had multiple children, by different fathers, that would help your case? Ya, see, a "MIDDLE-AGE woman" doesn't equate to generations, which will give you an automatic "in".

True need always takes a back seat to future need, if you get my drift!

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/28/13 - 02:05 am
LL

Is the 2nd to last rant yours?

I recall - someone posited peanuts are not a plant but a bush. You immediately posted the fact that:

is not a bush considered a plant?

you were met with rubbing-leg crickets for an answer.

To give the ranter her props - peanuts can be bushy. Bushy with roots, that hold the "goody's".

I don't much care if it's a "bush" or a "root" just give me a bushel and I'll make some of the best boiled peanuts since Armstrong walked on the moon!

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/28/13 - 05:19 am
50 years today!

I wonder how much of the man's words are actually listened to? One has to wonder – his speech given in today's environment, how would it be classified?

Would they be words to live by? Would this man of the cloth, would his words be something for us to strive for?

carcraft
carcraft 08/28/13 - 06:17 am
I think I'll start a protest,

I think I'll start a protest, calling the peanut plant is a racist insult to two former presidents. I know if I look hard enough race can be forced into it and insulting Obama won't be tolerated and the same standard needs to be applied to the Bush's, or is that a peanut plant?

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/28/13 - 06:35 am
Hmmm

"Nuts" maybe.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/28/13 - 07:05 am
Hmm

Bush- Plant, Potato-Potato, Pecan-Pecan! Just boil the D--- things and hand me to that cold beer!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/28/13 - 07:07 am
South Augusta

Since when did the Wrightsboro Rd Area become South Augusta? Southwest Augusta my ---!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/28/13 - 07:13 am
Heck, Just Give Everybody Food Stamps

Food stamps are so out of control maybe we should do like the Richmond County Schools giving every kid free lunch and just give EVERYBODY food stamps. At least the taxpayers would get something out of it.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/28/13 - 07:22 am
Countyman

Hang in there!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/28/13 - 07:32 am
What we have here ....

I see the gang is all here & even Rebel made a visit.....enjoyed talking toya Reb......even if GOB kept asking who was on that phone..lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/28/13 - 07:34 am
Dennys & Dunkin Doughnuts OMG!

THAT does it....2 fine sit down restaurants....South Augusta you are ready for the big time!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/28/13 - 07:39 am
Hey B4

What's cooking?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/28/13 - 07:41 am
JTF

I just realized Ms Pilcher (sp) was our 6th grade teacher!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/28/13 - 07:45 am
"Most Furthest Ahead"

"Summerville and Midtown is probably the most furthest ahead in terms of offering the live, work, and play environment outside of the CBD."

“The most furthest ahead” is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy ahead. I mean it's some kind of Startrek, time and space warp, ahead.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/28/13 - 07:49 am
What's cooking...heh heh

The dang heat is cooking here....the last few days reminded me of summertime......I saw the Stone Mountain from the hill near our house...haven't been able to see it for weeks because of rain & clouds....it is still there in case yall wondered..

I have been thinking of taking a class in art...I might specialize in murals.......:)

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...