Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THANK YOU, Augusta Cares. I called your office regarding wheels, which had their shafts sheared on my new recyclable bin, and the following day both wheels were replaced. That is what I would call excellent service. It disturbs me, though, that I had problems with the wheels in the first place since this was a new bin. It looks like to me that the quality of the product is poor.

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S No. 1 groupie, Paul McCartney, is to be honored by him at the White House. I wish both of them would take the long and winding road.

A RANT FOR ALL THE people riding their bicycles on the left-hand side of the road. I guess they think that their visibility is improved by going the wrong way against traffic. I fear that they may face traffic charges if involved in an accident.

IF OBAMACARE, WHICH is being jammed down our throats, is such a good idea, why (and how) did Congress decide that they would opt themselves and their families out of the program?

THE PRESIDENT FINALLY admitted at his news conference that Edward Snowden forced his hand to deal with the NSA surveillance program. He also said that he had started the review process long before Snowden exposed the surveillance program. Now, that’s just not believable from a president who leads from behind.

PRESIDENT OBAMA is warning disabled veterans that there are cuts coming because of budget constraints, yet he takes expensive taxpayer-funded vacations/trips. Our government sends billions of dollars overseas yearly. Enough! End foreign aid, bring our troops home and secure our borders. America first.

IF A DEPUTY USES excessive force, then he does need to be removed from the force, I agree. But my question is why is a 15-year-old out running the streets at 11 p.m. and then when approached by deputies, decide to run? That seems suspicious to me. Hold the parents responsible. And please quit using Trayvon Martin as a justification.

I AM AFRAID Oprah Winfrey is fanning the flames of racism by her comment in which she compared the killing of Trayvon Martin to that of Emmett Till. Till, a 14-year-old black teen, was brutally murdered by racists in Mississippi back in 1955. There is no comparison. The comment is uncharacteristic of her.

KSL
KSL 08/21/13 - 10:10 am
CBBP

I am all for it. FD1962 contacted me in 2007 to give Jake a different type of homecoming. We had a number of gatherings of all minds and they were fun.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/21/13 - 10:00 am
Sean

Sounds like a great idea and after we can adjourn to a suitable location and join CG in a Reserve Salute to our absent members!!
Does anyone know if Jake will be visiting soon? If not he can join us by Skype!!

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/21/13 - 10:00 am
@ Cobalt

Thank you sir. I appreciate you introducing me to Sarge's family last night. It was good meeting your wife as well.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/21/13 - 10:03 am
Meeting

I'll see if we have a room where we can meet.

Jake
Jake 08/21/13 - 10:16 am
Visiting

I will be back in the Augusta area from 9/27 until 10/6. I would also love to meet up with fellow posters as well but since that is a few weeks away then it would be understandable if you all preferred to have a meeting sooner. Visiting the Chronicle would be a blast, I'm sure.
CBBP, maybe we could get a golf group together at Applewood. I like that course and it is reasonable.
Hope to meet up with KSL, CG, itsanotherday, happychimer and others when I get out there. Hope the rain stops by then.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/21/13 - 10:30 am
Hey Riverman.

I wouldn't give countyman the pleasure of responding to anything he said.

I am also tired of his attaboy Richmond epistle comments so when I see his name I immediately scroll down!

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/21/13 - 10:32 am
Hey Sean!

I wasn't first and I hope I am not the last to wish you Happy Birthday!

We who comment on here regularly know you are our friend and that you are "the man!"

Sweet son

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/21/13 - 10:32 am
"I AM AFRAID Oprah Winfrey is

"I AM AFRAID Oprah Winfrey is fanning the flames of racism...........The comment is uncharacteristic of her."

Are you kidding? She's been doing that for years.

Those who APPEAR to be reasonable but hide their racism like a knife are the most dangerous. Look at what we bought when we elected Obama. Oprah has always been one to make a quick slash with that racism knife and then put it away behind a smile and an appearance of being reasonable. Same thing with Obama.

Notice that NO black leaders are in the streets or on the liberal TV networks this morning protesting the murder of the white Australian student in Oklahoma. Anyone heard Oprah lamenting his murder by these rabid animals who went out and shot a white boy because they were bored. No, I suspect you won't either.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/21/13 - 10:44 am
@ sweet son

Thank you very much.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/13 - 10:47 am
Sean, Always A Pleasure Meeting You.

The CIC was pleased too.....(I read her mind...Hah huh, so he's the one that is responsible for nothing being done around Cobalt Park) LOL Joking.

Darby
Darby 08/21/13 - 10:53 am
With regard to Oprah,

"The comment is uncharacteristic of her."

Not really....

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/21/13 - 11:28 am
Big Day

Happy 39th Sean.

harley_52
harley_52 08/21/13 - 11:39 am
Me Too...

....Happy birthday, Sean.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/21/13 - 11:53 am
Nice to hear

The mag, Business Insider did a survey asking numerous questions about states and ranking the results. Guess who came in ranked as the "nicest people" state? Georgia. So, there you go.

KSL
KSL 08/21/13 - 05:54 pm
Question

I don't for one minute think people like Oprah and Michehe Obama don't fan the fires of racism, even the others too numerous to mention.

But I am pretty certain most, if not all, got to be wealthy and powers to be with the help of influential and sympathethic and even erroneously guilt ridden white people to get to their positions.

KSL
KSL 08/21/13 - 05:50 pm
Obama could not be where he is

Obama could not be where he is without the help of people of different races. It isn't about the color of your skin. It is about your goals and objectives.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/21/13 - 12:44 pm

Thanks Harley and JTF.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/13 - 01:23 pm
Total Class Act Of Racism!

In many major cities, black academic performance has actually gotten worse since Obama took office. We have also seen the dramatic nationwide rise of black teen mob violence under the Obama administration.

On July 26th Obama signed an executive order titled the “African American Education Initiative.” The order essentially gives a green light for black students to misbehave in public schools. In two places, Obama’s executive order calls on schools to reduce the number disciplinary actions taken against blacks students. The order specifically calls on schools too “not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools.”

To comply, public schools would have to engage in a racial quota system of discipline. The executive order will create a new Federal bureaucracy to pressure school systems to comply with the president’s demands. The executive order makes no mention of any effort to get black students to improve behavior.

There is a reason why blacks are more likely to be disciplined in school. Black students are more likely to misbehave. The U.S. Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that there is a huge crime rate disparity between blacks and other racial groups.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/21/13 - 01:27 pm
Happy Birthday Sean

OK, so we shoot for September 28th/ 29th or October 5th/6th for the Facetime. Either way we'll schedule a golf match, (friendly of course) within that period! You don't all have to play golf, if we schedule the golf on a weekday morning the nonplayers can rent carts and accompany the "pros" around, while plying them with drinks and cigars!!! I've never played in front of a Gallery before!! I want CG to be my coach!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/21/13 - 01:29 pm
Happy Birthday Sean

Sean, you're welcome to cover the event for the Chronicle. I'm sure ya'll could use some new material for the Comic Section!!

corgimom
corgimom 08/21/13 - 01:38 pm
CG, this has been talked

CG, this has been talked about for years.

One of the many reasons why, last January, I said "I'm done".

But you're missing the point, you have to read between the lines. This isn't really about schools at all.

What it REALLY says is that it is supposed to address the root of those behaviors. That's what you REALLY need to pay attention to.

As in, more programs for those fatherless black kids. More Federal funds. Extra Federal funds for those fatherless households.

Nothing about making people stop having babies at 14, 15, 16, 17. Nothing about holding these fathers responsible in any way, shape or form. Nothing about schools being able to tell kids, "Stop having babies as teenagers, grow up, get your education, get married, THEN think about children". Nothing about "Fathering 6 kids by 5 different mothers is WRONG". Nothing about "Any idiot can conceive a child, a real man works and supports and raises his children."

I don't know any better way to breed and groom criminals than to say "You're special, you don't have to follow the rules like everybody else." Then, sooner or later, they will collide with the justice system, and then they will say, "Hey, I'm an African-American male, I'm special, rules don't apply to me." Yeah, right.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/21/13 - 02:03 pm
"African American Education

"African American Education Initiative"

Heh heh heh.....I know I am getting old. I can actually remember when black people just wanted equality and opportunity, and Martin Luther King had a dream. Fifty years later and we are up to total life support and preferential treatment....and, oh yeh, Obamaphones.....and the dream is dead.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/21/13 - 02:06 pm
Standardized Tests

They could put the questions generated from Corgimom's curricula about teen-age moms and fatherless boys on the standardized tests the kids have to pass to move to the next grade. They could ask a question about the correct sequence of life: i.e., "Put these activities in the correct sequence — have babies, get education, get married. The persons who came up with no child left behind said that what you put on the test is what counts in life.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/21/13 - 02:32 pm
African American Education Initiative

Cobalt George is correct about that initiative. Here is one of the objectives:

(3) To help expand educational opportunities, improve educational outcomes, and deliver a complete and competitive education for all African Americans, the Initiative shall, consistent with applicable law, promote, encourage, and undertake efforts designed to meet the following objectives:

(v) ensuring that all African American students have comparable access to the resources necessary to obtain a high-quality education, including effective teachers and school leaders, in part by supporting efforts to improve the recruitment, preparation, development, and retention of successful African American teachers and school leaders and other effective teachers and school leaders responsible for the education of African American students;

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/21/13 - 02:36 pm
African American Education Initiative

Here's another objective:

(iii) decreasing the disproportionate number of referrals of African American children from general education to special education by addressing the root causes of the referrals and eradicating discriminatory referrals;

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm sure trained educational professionals will be breaking down the school house doors trying to get the job of eradicating discriminatory referrals. Sounds like satisfying work.

harley_52
harley_52 08/21/13 - 02:37 pm
Martin Luther King Jr.

....Was a great man who is likely rolling over in his grave at what has become of the black "leadership" in this Country.

Too bad there aren't more Republican black "leaders." MLK was a Republican, just as was Abraham Lincoln. Democrat black leaders have done more to harm racial harmony and the progress of black citizens than any other factor.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/21/13 - 02:39 pm
@ CBBP

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Keep me apprised of the meeting plans. I imagine you have my email somewhere.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/21/13 - 02:41 pm
It will be good to meet more

It will be good to meet more of the commenters. I met nocnoc last night.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/21/13 - 02:47 pm
African American Education Initiative

Look at these two objectives:

(vii) increasing college access and success for African American students . . . in part through strategies to strengthen the capacity of institutions of higher education that serve large numbers of African American students, including community colleges, HBCUs, Predominantly Black Institutions (PBIs), and other institutions; and

(viii) . . . reducing racial isolation and resegregation of elementary and secondary schools to promote understanding and tolerance among all Americans . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
At first I thought the two objectives were contradictory; but upon second read, I see that they think it is bad to have resegregation in elementary and secondary schools, while it is good to have resegregation in colleges.

I guess those educators know best.

corgimom
corgimom 08/21/13 - 03:06 pm
Sean is still in recovery

Sean is still in recovery from meeting me.

Happy Birthday, Sean, we look forward to another year of the dreaded Abuse Warnings in our email inboxes.

The worst are when you see those two words, and you don't even have any idea of why you got it, and then you read it, and think, "Huh?" and you weren't even snarking anybody!