Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THANK YOU, Augusta Cares. I called your office regarding wheels, which had their shafts sheared on my new recyclable bin, and the following day both wheels were replaced. That is what I would call excellent service. It disturbs me, though, that I had problems with the wheels in the first place since this was a new bin. It looks like to me that the quality of the product is poor.

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S No. 1 groupie, Paul McCartney, is to be honored by him at the White House. I wish both of them would take the long and winding road.

A RANT FOR ALL THE people riding their bicycles on the left-hand side of the road. I guess they think that their visibility is improved by going the wrong way against traffic. I fear that they may face traffic charges if involved in an accident.

IF OBAMACARE, WHICH is being jammed down our throats, is such a good idea, why (and how) did Congress decide that they would opt themselves and their families out of the program?

THE PRESIDENT FINALLY admitted at his news conference that Edward Snowden forced his hand to deal with the NSA surveillance program. He also said that he had started the review process long before Snowden exposed the surveillance program. Now, that’s just not believable from a president who leads from behind.

PRESIDENT OBAMA is warning disabled veterans that there are cuts coming because of budget constraints, yet he takes expensive taxpayer-funded vacations/trips. Our government sends billions of dollars overseas yearly. Enough! End foreign aid, bring our troops home and secure our borders. America first.

IF A DEPUTY USES excessive force, then he does need to be removed from the force, I agree. But my question is why is a 15-year-old out running the streets at 11 p.m. and then when approached by deputies, decide to run? That seems suspicious to me. Hold the parents responsible. And please quit using Trayvon Martin as a justification.

I AM AFRAID Oprah Winfrey is fanning the flames of racism by her comment in which she compared the killing of Trayvon Martin to that of Emmett Till. Till, a 14-year-old black teen, was brutally murdered by racists in Mississippi back in 1955. There is no comparison. The comment is uncharacteristic of her.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/20/13 - 09:10 pm
Why would anyone even care

Why would anyone even care what Oprah says. She shows her true colors all the time.

Don not know if it is true but I received an email today that says the President has been on 8 vacations this year and spent 1.4 Billion on he and his family. I am sure that counts the security also but that is just awful. He has also logged more hours on Air Force One than anyone ever. Glad he will be gone soon but not soon enough.
Can you believe that Jane Fonda is supposed to be honored in the White House. That TRAITOR should never be let in or near the seat of our government. All the soldiers in Vietnam should remember what she did. Disgraceful, and she should never ever forget what she did.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/20/13 - 09:38 pm
Salute

I visited the funeral home tonight and Sarge was in his Army dress blue uniform. His family and friends sat around the viewing room. As I was leaving a biker wearing a bandana was going in. The rain was starting to fall.

countyman
countyman 08/20/13 - 10:15 pm
Developers love Augusta

The sign for new Michael Kors boutique store is up with a fall 2013 opening date. The Augusta already manage to attract H&M earlier this year.

The jobs are now available online, and just scroll down to the bottom to see the Augusta job listing..

Expect for the city of Augusta to become a true regional shopping destination. Trader Joes, Dave & Busters, REI, etc still aren't located here yet.

Justthefacts..... The only store located in Chattanooga is Whole Foods. Micheal Kors, H&M, and Cabela's don't have any existing locations in Chattanooga.

Their are two Michael Kors outlets and one boutique in Tennessee. Two are located in Nashville, and the other outlet store is located near Knoxille.

The Cabela's announced for Augusta is the third location in the southeast(Greenville, Louisville), and suburban Atlanta is getting the fourth location.

H&M has one store located in Tennessee, and the location is Nashville.

countyman
countyman 08/20/13 - 10:56 pm
I think somebody gave

I think somebody gave Riverman a thumbs down for his bandanna comment.

Anybody remember the proposed Avenue Furys Ferry in West Augusta before the recession?

This is the best chance for Columbia County to attract some type of lifestyle center, because the land extends into Martinez. The surrounding property could become residential and green space. The Bass Pro coming to Martinez is located on the Columbia/Richmond line.

The Avenue Furys Ferry, the latest of three major upscale shopping centers announced in recent months, is set to open in West Augusta on the Richmond-Columbia County line.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 08/21/13 - 02:18 am
A 17 year old black person

A 17 year old black person shoots and kills an infant in cold blooded murder, and the media refers to him as a "young man" and as a "man", but another 17 year old black person, Trayvon, is killed in an altercation with another person, and he's repeatedly referred to as a "child".

I sense a great disturbance in the force...

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/13 - 04:13 am
Countyman

Countyman said in reference to my comment about visiting the funeral home for Sarge last night, "I think somebody gave Riverman a thumbs down for his bandanna comment."

There is nothing disparaging about noting a biker wearing a bandana was also visiting Sarge. Why would you think it is?

KSL
KSL 08/21/13 - 04:54 am
Riverman

I thought I recognized you.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/13 - 05:00 am
KSL

Yes, I think we made eye contact. Thanks for the smile. It was pretty crowded and I really wasn't dressed to hang around long.

corgimom
corgimom 08/21/13 - 05:04 am
You know what? I am GLAD

You know what?

I am GLAD that all these new stores are coming in. I am THRILLED.

I am PLEASED that all of the existing retailers, with older stores that won't be the latest and the greatest, will have sales taken from them. I think it's great that those business owners, who have struggled and worked long and hard, and who has supported Augusta through good times and bad, will now see their hard work go down the tubes.

I am glad that all the little Mom-and-Pop stores who have sold outdoor equipment for all these years, will have their businesses wiped out.

I think it's wonderful that the theatre owners, who have been struggling for years, in a dying industry, now has more competition, making their jobs even harder. I think it's marvellous that at least one, if not two, theatre complexes will now close.

Because what Augusta truly needs is MORE empty, blighted buildings.

All the businesses that are going in, that Countyman is swooning over, duplicate existing businesses. Nothing is new. So all you are going to see is a bunch of old businesses in the CSRA declining, further contributing to blight.

Sad.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/13 - 05:57 am
Columbia County News Times

I wonder why Steve Crawford is not writing an opinion column for the News Times as was the previous practice? I've only seen his initial one several weeks ago. I was looking forward to his work.

KSL
KSL 08/21/13 - 06:26 am
Well, R1

I understand, but you disappointed someone I was sitting with who was was so looking forward to meeting you. Maybe another time.

Take care, friend.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/13 - 07:37 am
Good Morning "A Heart Given Thanks" America

A heart given thanks to the ones that showed their respects to Jim (Sarge) last night on his departure to the Gates Of Heaven.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/21/13 - 07:39 am
Thanks to a smart woman

Thanks to a smart lady at McNair school many lives are still with us today......this young man wanted attention & she gave him attention....a kind human reached out to calm a mixed up young man...amazing isn't it........the very reason some are not killed when kidnapped.....they find a way to reach the inner soul.

If only we could do that to our crumbling neighborhoods.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/21/13 - 07:53 am
I'm disappointed in Riverman too ksl

Many wanted to Meet & Greet....if I had been there I would have tripped him up at the dang door! :)

allhans
allhans 08/21/13 - 08:01 am
Australia is calling for a

Australia is calling for a tourist boycott against the US and who can blame them. The three young thugs are said to have been bored and looking for some fun. NO race involved but they somehow selected a white man..hmmmmmmm

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/21/13 - 08:07 am
allhans

I don't blame them....but once again it is the MINDSET of the punks & not the gun....Some will say ban guns to stop this nonesense but they would just find another weapon.

Killed because you are bored syndrome.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/13 - 08:16 am
SeenIt said, "...amazing

SeenIt said, "...amazing isn't it........the very reason some are not killed when kidnapped.....they find a way to reach the inner soul."

Very insightful remark. It reminds me of the woman in Atlanta who was kidnapped by the courthouse killer and reached him. She read him the book, A Purpose Driven Life, by Rick Warren

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/21/13 - 08:31 am
Happy Birthday Sean

And many many more.....you still look 22 to me. Lucky guy.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/21/13 - 08:36 am

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/21/13 - 08:36 am
Amazing

Some people you can reach and some you can't. I think in some of the examples the person was crying out for attention. In others, no amount of attention would have made a difference. I can't help but place the blame at the feet of the news media. So much coverage and so much has been made of these incidents that copycats will emerge from the shadows for years. Some people will try to get that attention any way they can. We seem to be giving them the "How To" manual rather than encouraging a more positive manner!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/21/13 - 08:42 am
I agree coldbeer

Some you can't reach.....we have emptied out our mental institutions & THAT was a big mistake....why do we undo the very things that work for many years...I just don't get it.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/21/13 - 08:43 am
Proposal

I'd like to propose a meeting of all here who care to attend. Not for bashing or debating but a chance for all to shake hands, become face to face friends and remember those who can't be with us. Maybe a mid-afternoon Saturday. I know most have plans for Labor Day weekend so let's look beyond that and see if we can spend a couple of hours in friendship and growth! Does anyone want to propose a date or a meeting place? I know that Sarge would be the first to champion it if he could, and maybe he can through some of us!

KSL
KSL 08/21/13 - 09:00 am
I am diappointed in that I

I am diappointed in that I did not get to introduce the two people I highly respect to each other.

I want to say right here and now, that some of my closest friends I have had in my life, despite the fact that I don't see or speak with them on a dailey basis, have been a result of our correspondence and occasional meetings.

And I am talking about great, long-lasting friendships.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/21/13 - 09:03 am
@ ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts, et al

If you meet downtown, you could all come to The Chronicle and I can give you a tour and perhaps introduce you to some of the staff.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/21/13 - 09:17 am
Sean said....

Paper bags over our head ....they remember some of our posts I'm sure...we can't be nice ALL the time! :)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/13 - 09:45 am
Hey Sean,

You have one of those them there "Happies" from me too.

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/21/13 - 09:45 am
It sure is nice to see that

Racism is alive and well down here.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/13 - 09:50 am
Wow, The Augusta Chronicle

Great gathering Idea. I know you can provide a place to spend some time together, like the AC Board room with Punch (flavored) and some donuts.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/21/13 - 09:53 am
35 years

FORT MEADE, Md. (AP) -- Judge sentences #BradleyManning to 35 years in prison for giving US secrets to #WikiLeaks. http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/23202524/manning-faces-sentencing-for-...

Have to get busy here because I don't have maid service!!!

Turkeys get taste of own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.