Rants & Raves

WE DON’T NEED any more criminal housing in south Augusta. What we need is more law enforcement down here.

Back | Next
The Augusta Chronicle commenting community lost one of their own yesterday. You knew him as Sargebaby. His real name was Jim McKenzie. RIP. You will be missed.

HILLARY CLINTON will not have to run for president. All she will have to do is walk into the job.

RANT FOR THE DOT. They actually cut the trash on Bobby Jones at Wrights­boro Road. But why not pick the trash up before cutting the grass, so it won’t leave all the debris scattered all over the highway?

SCHOOL Superinten­dent Roberson should retire. He isn’t able to do his job. Please retire or fire him.

RAVE FOR CHRIST Com­munity. I’ve been going there for a year. They helped me get my blood pressure and sugar under control. Dr. Gil­bert, Dr. Campbell and all the rest, I want to say thank you.

RANT CONCERNING the city-owned golf course. Paul Simon made a comment about the condition of the course and said they should be ashamed the city charges to play there. The problem is that everybody who works for or retired from and their friends and family play for free or reduced prices, not allowing the course to make enough money. This is the reason the majority of commissioners want the Patch to stay in the city’s ownership, so they can play free golf. I am tired of paying for these freeloaders.

NOT TOO LONG AGO, we would have sent in Marines and beefed up security at our embassies. Now we close the embassies and hide in closets while the president goes on vacation.

THE ONLY THING that will instill honesty, integrity and responsibility is teaching Bible courses. Golf won’t do it.

RANTS TO THE OWNERS of two dead golf courses in the CSRA. I am calling out the Augusta Com­mission and Donnie Thomp­son. You both have awesome facilities for two fine golf courses, yet you can’t make them operational. Shame on you both, to have such wonderful assets yet you do nothing.

NOTHING TO SAY except when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson preach racial harmony they are talking out their back sides. How incredible that they didn’t weigh in on the three black hoods beating a white boy on the bus. But did you expect anything else? No way for them to make money!

I LIKE THE movie Judgment at Nuremberg. They all tell the truth.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/18/13 - 07:26 pm
What do you said when friends loses a close friend?

People that are regulars here, lost a very close friend recently.

I learned of it just a few minutes ago reading CG's comments.

While I did not know Sarge on a one to one basis, the people that loved him and respected him dearly, I do know.

His friends here are constantly standing up for morality, they stand for civility, they stand up for honor, equality of justice, and many other things I agree with and hold dear.

So, If a person is judged by his friends, then Sarge was one of the greatest people the CSRA has lost recently, that is worthy of wide respect.

I wish I could express it better, but you see, I never got to meet Sarge face to face, I just know him through his friends and comments.

He must have been a heck of a guy to have friends like them.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/18/13 - 07:31 pm
CG will you post when and

CG will you post when and where Sarges funeral will be.

other than what is above I will no comments Mon. or Tues.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/18/13 - 08:19 pm
Rant #7

All too true. And all too tragic.

:-(

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/18/13 - 08:57 pm
I met him and his wife a few

I met him and his wife a few years ago. He is missed.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/18/13 - 09:49 pm
Just wondering why the house

Just wondering why the house caught on fire on Tate Road this afternoon right before the storms collided over south side of Augusta. I know they must have been thankful for all that rain, but it looks like it might be a total loss. Hope if anyone was in there they got out okay.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/18/13 - 09:52 pm
Sargebaby

I remember Sarge from over on the invision forum where you could post photos and fancy colors and we had those smilies to paste into our posts.

Once I posted some lyrics from the Davy Crockett song, and Sarge posted a photo of himself (in uniform) wearing a coonskin cap. He had the biggest, yet warmest grin. That man loved life and loved good people.

RIP, Sargebaby. And my condolences go out to Precious.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/18/13 - 09:56 pm
@ AutumnLeaves

You should have seen the river running down from the Masters parking lots and onto Berckmanns Rd. There was so much mud in the road, in the ditches and in the creeks in the parking lots that it was creamsicle orange.

A lot of the dirt the National hauled in to re-shape their parking lots is in Lake Olmstead at this time.

Jake
Jake 08/18/13 - 10:06 pm
Sarge & Friends

I know Sarge had many friends in the CSRA. CG and itsanotherday are just two that I can think of that were of great help to him in the later months of his life by taking him places and visiting with him when he was no longer mobile.
I personally met with him twice even though we had communicated over the years via email and also on the Chronicle site. It would be hard to find a man with a bigger heart than Jim. I wish the AC allowed photos because CG has a good one of Sarge when he caught a nice bass at his lake.
He will be greatly missed by his loved ones and many friends. No more taking "Precious" to her hair appointments or getting the occasional email with some uplifting message on it. I don't think I will ever forget Sarge.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/18/13 - 10:27 pm
Nocnoc

I will just say that I've never met a finer man than Sarge. I am better for having known him.

I'm also secure in my feeling that he is at peace. We talked a year ago and he told me then that the only reason he was continuing to fight was for Francis; and that he was at peace with himself and God with regard to how he lived his life. He was as prepared for the afterlife as one could be.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/19/13 - 07:10 am

Jim (Sarge) was a rare one of a kind, (like LL said) loved life and loved good people. When ever you met him, he would always give you a large hug and let you know without words, that you were his Friend for life.
I know without a doubt in my mind, that he is hugging each of you with a tear in his heart to those many condolences given to him.
A lost of any close friend will always leave a hole in my heart and he has left a big one.

At this point, all I know is we will be led to rest at Fort Riley, Kansas in the military cemetery there. I was told that Precious (Francis) his wife and family are planning to have a viewing here in the Augusta Area before moving Jim to Kansas. I will try to keep you all informed.

I will post many pictures in my Face Book for those that would like to see them. I'm never afraid to let you know who I am unlike so many, so just Search "George Lavarnway" in face book and ask for friend acceptance.

I have copied all condolences made on this AC blog and when the Obituary comes out, they will be pasted in the memorial book if that is ok with all of you.

A moment should be given to other Veterans of the past that were great AC Members, USAFVET (Bruce Self) & .30cal (Howard Seibert).

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/19/13 - 07:13 am
# 8

Uh, you might want to re-think that one.......and perhaps go back to the drawing board......the drawing board that you obviously use crayons on.

KSL
KSL 08/19/13 - 07:44 am
CG

He who does not post, asked that I post for hin his conolences. He enjoyed knowing all three of those fine men that we have lost.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/19/13 - 07:56 am
Good bye

to a great man. Trouble and I met Jim several times. No matter his physical condition he always had a smile and talked about the good things in his life.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/19/13 - 07:56 am
@ CG

Sad. Sarge will be missed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/13 - 08:42 am
Chris Christie & ammunition control

I'm getting a little concerned here..we will pay a price for the punks with the guns.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/19/13 - 08:45 am
To answer a question from yesterday

To answer a question from yesterday, I have no way of telling who gives thumbs up or down.
I will post a photo of Sarge on today's R&R if I get permission to do so. I'm waiting on an email.
Sarge was a great man and a good friend.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/13 - 08:46 am
Let the trial begin..

COBB COUNTY, Ga. - Monday begins the trial for a Georgia man charged with fatally shooting a 13-month-old boy while robbing the child's mother. It's an unthinkable act that stunned and saddened not just Atlanta, but the U.S., as well.

Jury selection is scheduled to start Monday. It's set to take place in Cobb County, about 300 miles away from, from where the crime was committed – Brunswick, Ga.

News of the March 21 incident sent shockwaves from coast to coast. Police say 18-year-old De'Marquise Elkins fatally shot the toddler -- Antonio Santiago -- while he was in his stroller just as he and another man tried to rob the child's mother.

"And he said, ‘I'm going to kill you if you don't give me your money.' I told him, ‘I swear I don't have any,'" the child's mother told local media not long after the incident.

"He says, ‘Well, I'm going to kill your baby.' And, I begged, ‘Please don't kill my baby!'"

Already, Elkins' defense attorneys have hinted in court papers that they plan to argue that the 13-month-old was killed by his own parents. The defense is expected to claim the parents had a financial interest in doing so.

Elkins was 17 years old at the time of the shooting.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/13 - 08:47 am
Sean

You are a good man Sean...♥

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/19/13 - 08:47 am
Switch Parties?

Is Chris Christie preparing to switch parties and run for the Democratic presidential nomination?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/13 - 08:50 am
To this

We DON’T NEED any more criminal housing in south Augusta. What we need is more law enforcement down here.

You also need neighbors willing to speak up to police!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/13 - 08:51 am
Chris Christie

I don't know what the big guy has in mind....but it is different thinking going on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/13 - 08:53 am
With media help that will happen.

We are so fooled by the news/media giants..

Trouble
Trouble 08/19/13 - 08:58 am
Sarge

Once again the world has lost one of its brightest stars, and it is a bit dimmer here because of the loss. He will be missed, and my condolences to his family.

allhans
allhans 08/19/13 - 08:59 am
Chris Christie

Gov. Chris Christie plans to sign a bill Monday barring licensed therapists from trying to turn gay teenagers straight...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/19/13 - 09:02 am
Logic

If it is good to ban conversion therapy then, by logic, it would be good to ban sex-change operations.

In similar thinking, if it is bad to turn gay teenagers straight, then it would be bad to turn straight teenagers gay.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/19/13 - 09:06 am
Politicians Practicing Medicine

What makes the New Jersey legislature and the New Jersey governor think they know more about medicine than the therapists that the New Jersey Medical Board licensed?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/13 - 09:10 am
I heard from Peach yesterday

I had a nice email from a reader in our northern states...Wis

Many read the r/rs & never post...she is one of them..She feels like she knows us all & even had called Sarge awhile back......she reads books that we talk about on here....The Water is Wide is one of them she said......we have more impact than we even know.......we must be doing something right. ♥

KSL
KSL 08/20/13 - 05:08 am
LL

If he isn't, he needs to get together a plan. I didn't know much about him until Sandy because, frankly, he was off my radar, as are most state politians in other states are. I believe voters in their perspective states have the right to elect whomever they want to represent them.

KSL
KSL 08/19/13 - 09:34 am
The Water is Wide

We had the pleasure of meeting Pat Conroy at a party at our neighbors' house after the book had become popular. Nice guy.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/19/13 - 09:35 am
Sarge

I posted a couple of photos of Sarge at the top of the R&Rs. He was a good man. I'm proud to call him a friend.