Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A HUGE RAVE FOR the nice person who used their change to pay for my breakfast at McDonald’s on Columbia Road on Aug. 5. Thank you so much. God bless you and yours.

RAVE FOR RICHMOND County’s sheriff for wanting a gang task force. Richmond County needs one to rid the county of these little thugs, and you will see a decrease in crime.

AUGUSTA COULD become the most famous place in the world, and I certainly am not talking about golf. Look your fellow human in the eye and convey the love that you have for yourself.

MR. PRESIDENT, when you were out campaigning for your second term you told us that al-Qaida was disseminated and on the run, but now we see that you have had to close a large number of our embassies and consulates in the Arab peninsula because of al-Qaida threats. I wonder who has got who on the run now.

WILL THE AUGUSTA Commission stop messing around when it comes to The Patch? You have been messing around for years, and all you have done is scare off potential companies that want to make a go of it. Remember, it’s our tax money that you are wasting. Let’s get on with it and focus on how it can be made a source of revenue for the city.

I LIVE IN A SUBDIVISION in south Augusta where folks do not seem to have any regard for other people’s property. We do not have pets, so I do not think it is my responsibility to scoop up dog poop. Folks with pets should scoop up behind their animals. There is such a thing as leash laws.

TEACHING GOLF IN schools seems to be a good idea; however, don’t lose sight of why the children are in school in the first place. They are there to learn the subjects that matter. Also don’t lose sight of the fact that Richmond County schools have a long way to go to reach acceptable performance levels. Stacey Mabray, the senior director of curriculum, seems to have gotten carried away thinking that golf will bring together a lot of things the children are learning, including math.

WE GIVE FREE LUNCHES to Richmond County students while teachers are on nine days of furlough.

HOW LOW STANDARDS have become. Women walk around looking like they have never combed their hair. I’m afraid a generation of slobs has been raised. How sad; no self-esteem.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/17/13 - 01:39 pm
"TEACHING GOLF IN schools

"TEACHING GOLF IN schools seems to be a good idea; however, don’t lose sight of why the children are in school in the first place."

Might as well teach golf 'cause they sure ain't getting anything else across. Today we are spending, adjusted for inflation, TWICE per student what we were spending when the grades and graduation rates started tanking. We are spending TWICE what other 1st world countries spend and getting the WORST product. Money has not worked. Our laws prevent parents and teachers from doing WHAT WOULD WORK (discipline). What we have is the most expensive baby sitting service in the entire world. Heck, it don't even qualify as baby sitting. It's just a place they go for a few hours a day where the teachers try to keep them from shooting or knifing each other, smoking dope, and impregnating each other until it's time to send them home to their parent(s) who don't seem to care if they do any of those things. Might as well teach golf.

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 10:57 am
LTE vs. Online Comments..

My guess is that LTE are viewed by a great many more people than are the comments of the relatively few who choose to make them. I hate to break your bubble, Riverman, but I'm pretty sure the overwhelming number of folks read the main articles (including LTE) without even knowing there are related comments about them, or bothering to look at them.

I could surely be wrong about that, but I promise you that as I surf the net visiting the many sites I view to read what's happening, or what certain pundits have to say about topics of the day, I almost never take the time to see what some other anonymous person might have to say about it.

My view is that these comments made by the relatively small number of us who choose to haunt these boards go unnoticed by the vast majority of Chronicle readers be they print, or online, subscribers (or visitors).

You deserve a vast and fawning audience, RM, but I think you're stuck with the few who take the time to hang out (or occasionally visit) these AC boards.

Maybe Sean has some data on the issue?

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 10:58 am
Old habits die hard I guess.

Old habits die hard I guess. I still enjoy the print edition. Sitting on the deck at a good Mexican restaurant with a frosty cold one, fajitas on the way, and the chronicle spread out in front of me. Dang! I think I'm about to take a trip up the road!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 11:11 am
Baby shooting case headed to trial

The deeply divided case has been moved to Cobb county..the trial will start next week..some of the females in this family will also go on trial for lying & covering up evidence....when I look at that sweet baby my heart breaks....so innocent & so pure of heart ..I can't even imagine how a human could shoot this baby....what could have been ...we will never know.
The article is in the AJC today....see yall later.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 11:12 am
hahah me too!

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 11:16 am
Teaching Golf In Schools...

Is just another example of where modern American society has come to misunderstand the difference between family and community.

Dichotomy is right about the role of schools these days as being very expensive babysitters, but he left out at least one important point.

Schools have become the training grounds for socialism, immorality, and atheism. While parents are out working, playing, (or laying on their behinds using all manner of mind altering substances) the public education system is busy teaching our children what the ultra-left-wing propagandists have decided they should learn.

It is a well known fact that best way to influence the direction of a society is to mold and bend the minds of the children toward what you want them to become as adults. While we weren't watching (or not caring) public schools have lost their focus on academics, and moved on to concentrate on socializing.

Plato observed that the two most important questions for a society are: Who will teach the children, and what will they teach them?

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/17/13 - 11:28 am
"Spandex, 400lbs in hot

"Spandex, 400lbs in hot pants, Flesh color leotards tucked into every nook and cranny, razor cut jeans all in indecent areas, G-string wings, Sheer Sports bras in public, Pajamas and teddies in public."

And I hate to tell these young ladies...BUT....MOST OF YOU do not have the hips or mid-drifts to be wearing these tight low cut jeans. Just because you can get them snapped and zippered DOES NOT MEAN THEY LOOK GOOD ON YOU. Just because you stole the "hip huggers" from the 60s does not mean that you got the Twiggy figure to go with it. You truly look like 10 lbs. of crap stuffed into a 5 lb. bag. I suppose a lot of you are just trying to show off your tramp stamp. I'm kind of glad I'm not a young man nowadays. Not much to choose from out there unless you are just looking for a night deposit box.....and I'd need a few Jack Daniels and cokes to help me take 20 pounds or so off of them before I could even work up to that. Maybe that is why there is so much drug use today. I can see where drugs would be an advantage in that situation......you don't have to sit in a bar until "they all get prettier at closing time".

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/17/13 - 01:09 pm
4TH Rant...."disseminated?" or is it

DECIMATED??? Jeez, Only south of Maryland!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/17/13 - 01:16 pm
The concept is not new.

If you've ever wondered, "what were they thinking?" when they passed Prohibition, there's an enlightening segment in Ken Burns' film of the same. In it, he points out that the crusade against drinking was a multigenerational effort, and that passage of the Volstead Act was not accomplished until a whole generation of children came of age, all carefully and openly indoctrinated by a well thought out campaign aimed at schoolchildren.

Today, we have Obama, Mmmm, Mmmm.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 01:52 pm
Harley, You took the words

Harley,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've spent much time pondering how this could of happened. Besides the reasons you listed, archaic people like ourselves believe schools are for teaching the 3 R's and critical thinking skills. We had a hard time believing/accepting that others would use it for nefarious purposes. Heck there are some today, in the “teaching” profession that still don't realize what's happening, even though they may be part and parcel of the problem. They've swallowed John Dewey's philosophy whole because it seems/sounds good on the surface, never delving into the depth and long term consequences.

We were warned, but didn't listen. Now I wonder if we're too late. Pandora's box has been opened.

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 02:30 pm
Young Fred...

I hate to be a pessimist, but I'm afraid it may indeed be too late. I think our society is on the edge of a precipice, in grave danger of being pushed over the edge. Sadly, the loudest and most powerful voices to be heard right now come from those working their damnedest to push us over.

I wish I could say that I see things turning around, but I can't. Political correctness and a fear of being called things like "bigot," or "racist," or "homophobe," or "extremist" causes most of us to just sit back and shake our heads as we topple over toward chaos and anarchy. A few speak out, but the majority of power and money these days is in the hands of the lefties. What's worse, is we've allowed them to shape society toward their model for the last forty-five years.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 02:52 pm
Harley -

I think the worst part for me, other than worrying about my descendants, is seeing so many of my fellow citizens swallowing the bilge hook, line, and sinker!

Part of me still wants to believe the old adage about the resilience, common sense, and can do spirit of Americans. Then invariably my wife turns on the TV and I lose all hope. Every time that dang boob tube is on more than a few minutes I can't help but think of that verse about idols that can neither see nor hear nor walk.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 08/17/13 - 04:06 pm
A Major Rave to the Guy at Waffle House this morning

A haggered guy came walking into Waffle House this morning on US-25 Windsor Spring RD. The guy was low saggin with Pants at Mid-Thigh and wet head to toe.

People watched as he waddled in and over to a table then slid in.

Then a few seconds later an Older Man, who had been seated with his wife and a friend, got up and walked over to the dude and handed him a Nylon Belt with a simple Slip buckle. The older man was polite and even sounded sincere as he handed the guy, seated right behind my wife and I, the new belt. He said something like:

"Here, looks like you need a belt, its OK, you can keep it, I have others."

About 15 minutes later after the dude finished eating the Big Breakfast he ordered, I watched, as he got up and walked right out the door, looking over his shoulder not paying for the meal.

I asked the Waitress he did pay? She said someone paid for him,
but she said she had not told the guy yet.

I wonder, if the guy if the guy who gave the belt did it?

Either way, Major Kudos to the Older Man, the gift belt and maybe the added touch of the anonymously paid meal?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/17/13 - 04:12 pm
I love being on line w/the AC

But I need the hard copy for my wood burning stove -TRUTH

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 04:21 pm
I guess I'm getting old...

...my eyesight is failing fast. I was just perusing the Columbia County Bookings “slide show”, got to #8 – Mr. Blackstone, and saw he was charged with “willful destruction of law enforcement officers”. Initially, I'm like “what in the ----!” Then I start laughing out loud at the obvious typo.

When my wife asked me what I found so funny, I told her “look at this”, she says "what's so funny about that"? When I told her, she just patted my back and said lets go to CVS and get you a pair of reading glasses.

Needless to say I became a bit depressed. My wife made a detour on the way home to pick up some spicy V8's, celery, vodka and worcestershire. Dang, that is one fantastic lady, I think I'll keep her awhile (if she'll have me).

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/17/13 - 06:22 pm
Drawback to LTE's

... is some folks take serious offense at much of what I write and while I still had my landline hooked up would look me up by name --only one in Grovetown-- and call and comment on my geneology and some of my ancestors' shocking sexual practices.

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 07:02 pm
Has Anybody Wondered....

....why schools have "zero tolerance" programs against guns? Why they are so obstinate in refusing to allow armed guards in schools? Why they expel, or otherwise punish, five and six year old children for having tiny toy guns in school, or even holding their fingers to simulate having a handgun?

It's not a meaningless accident. It's not a failure to understand that such things are totally harmless.

It's because the left intends to take guns away from citizens. They know they can't do it now, but they also know if they can propagandize and brainwash children into believing guns are evil and terrible instruments to be avoided at all costs then they'll have little problem developing an unarmed civilian populace. When these kids grow up to adulthood, giving up their Second Amendment Rights will seem like only common sense.

It's all part of the plan.....

corgimom
corgimom 08/17/13 - 07:22 pm
"It's because the left

"It's because the left intends to take guns away from citizens"

No, it's not. It's because our schools are now filled with severely mentally ill and deeply disturbed children who want to shoot people.

All of you should see. You should just see. There were elementary kids that we were afraid to turn our backs on. It is frightening, to see how many children are so seriously ill. Crack babies, and pretty soon, the meth babies are coming.

And the only ones that talked about guns were the mentally ill ones. It was chilling. That is why the kids are not allowed to talk about guns.

You can thank the Congress that passed "mainstreaming", when they didn't know anything about disabilities and childhood mental illness.

And the only thing that will change it is if Congress rewrites that law to get mentally ill kids out of the classrooms and into schools that are designed to accomodate them.

This is one of the reasons I stopped volunteering, I was afraid that one day, I'd be attacked by a child with a weapon. I had already dealt with children that attacked me, but a weapon, that's different.

There were just too many violent, sick, disturbed children. And I just don't have any desire to deal with psychotic children.

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 07:24 pm
" I had already dealt with children that attacked me...

....but a weapon, that's different."

Glad you survived your volunteering ordeal.

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 07:38 pm
Then There's The Clothing Weapons...

....you know, the U.S. Marine T-shirts, or the U.S. Army shirts some kids wear to school and then have some left-wing school Administrator kick them out of school, or otherwise punish them because, as you know, a picture of a gun is just as dangerous as a loaded weapon.

I would call it "mindless," but it's not. It's all very purposeful. They hate guns and they want to teach everybody to hate them, no matter what parents might want for their kids.

corgimom
corgimom 08/17/13 - 08:24 pm
"When's the last time you

"When's the last time you heard of a five year old holding his/her fingers like a gun either attacked, or hurt, anybody?"

Nobody, harley, get real.

However, when you have a bunch of 5 year olds where every adult male in their life is a criminal, and they do it, you know that they aren't playing Cowboys and Indians, and before you start up, YES, we have had children like that.

I have personally had a 5 year old tell me about his daddy having a gun and bullets and describing it in great detail to me- and we knew that the father was a criminal and a convicted felon.

I bet that doesn't exist in your world- but it's out there, it's bad, you just don't have any idea how bad it is.

It is NOTHING like it used to be. NOTHING.

corgimom
corgimom 08/17/13 - 08:44 pm
"Some of these kids have

"Some of these kids have fathers who are Active Duty military, but the agenda of the lefties trumps all of that."

No, harley, it's the agenda of keeping children safe. And why anybody would have an issue with that agenda, I don't know.

Again, I'm telling you, schools are now run with the idea that they have to make them safe from the mentally ill ones, and they are now in just about every school. And yes, it affects everybody, but there are also "privacy" laws and you can't tell one kid "You can't wear that because you are nuts and want to shoot people" and tell another, "It's ok, your dad is in the Army." Everyone is supposed to pretend that all the kids are perfectly fine, even when Helen Keller AND Stevie Wonder could see how disturbed they are.

However, you will be happy to know that I taught a little boy how to spell "weapon", because I knew that his father was an active-duty Army soldier. And I was proud to do it.

You read too many nutcase blogs and believe every one of them, you should go to a school and find out the way it really is. It will change your outlook in a hurry.

That's why I sit and read all of y'all posts on here about education and schools about stupid stuff like saying the Pledge of Allegiance. None of you know, none of you understand. Everybody needs to worry FAR more about the psychotic kid in the class whose parents "don't want him to take medication" and who is liable to go off at any time.

It scares me, and I'm an adult.

Those disturbed ones frighten the kids like you wouldn't believe. The kids don't want the disturbed ones pointing an index finger at them and saying "Pow", they are too afraid that they really mean it. They just wish that they would be GONE.

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 08:54 pm
"I bet that doesn't exist in your world....

....but it's out there, it's bad, you just don't have any idea how bad it is."

There's a good chance I live in the same world you do and you're making some assumptions about what I know and don't know. No matter....

I happen to have grandchildren in school and talk with them often. I ask them questions about what they see. I attend lots of school activities with them and with their parents. I don't see this world where our "schools are now filled with severely mentally ill and deeply disturbed children who want to shoot people" as you claimed. Particularly problem children should be dealt with as necessary. It's a sad school where dealing with little children drives adults to resign, or to fear for their safety. Maybe they're in the wrong line of work.

"Zero tolerance" programs are designed to replace human beings with robots, or monkeys. Teachers, Administrators, Principals, and School Boards are supposed to THINK and act like responsible adults. Many of them don't. They act to instil fear in the citizenry and create an atmosphere where the intellect is replaced with an "anti gun" agenda.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/17/13 - 08:58 pm
I'm Just Wondering corgimom,

are you against the 2nd Amendment?

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 09:12 pm
" None of you know, none of you understand."

Well, that's that then....isn't it?

You hold yourself out as the only person who really knows or really understands what's happening on the one hand and you admit you're scared of little children on the other. Not much left for us to discuss, I suppose.

corgimom
corgimom 08/17/13 - 09:14 pm
No, harley, attending school

No, harley, attending school events is not the same. You need to volunteer in a classroom, full-time, for at least 2 weeks.

You will be stunned at what you see.

You will regard schools in a different light.

My two grandchildren start kindergarten on Monday, in California. I told my son that if anybody went after them, to call me, I'd be there the next day, and I WOULD handle it. I am scared to death for them.

"Particularly problem children should be dealt with as necessary". There IS no "dealing with them". They are sick, they are disabled. They can't be suspended unless they injure a person. They scream, they destroy a classroom, and my job was to take the other kids out of the classroom and into a room across the hall, for safety. They would call an administrator, they would come get the kid, take them to their office, read them a story, and then send them back to class.

One day that happened 5 times.

It takes literally years to get them shipped out, unless they get arrested, that puts them on the fast track. Or if they try to kill a child, that gets them out on an E ticket too. Strangulations and stabbings are the preferred method, but bludgeoning with a chair is occasionally used.

"They have a Constitutional right to a public school education" *snort*

We'd watch their eyes and their body language, we could usually tell when things were ramping up. Sometimes we'd see them start to smoulder, we knew what was coming, so we would just go ahead and provoke the explosion and get it over and done with.

corgimom
corgimom 08/17/13 - 09:17 pm
harley, if you saw those

harley, if you saw those psychotic ones, you'd be scared too. I've seen them destroy a classroom, including throwing desks around the room.

I've seen teachers literally wrestle them down to the ground.

And some of them take 2-3 teachers to subdue them. When they flip out, they have superhuman strength and don't tire.

harley_52
harley_52 08/17/13 - 09:31 pm
You Are Describing...

....a situation where teachers, Administrators, and the entire school board should be removed if they are aware. If they are not aware, they need to replace whomever isn't making the facts known.

I don't live in a world where little children rule and intimidate adults.

Solar 'farm' for Fort Gordon?

ATLANTA -- Georgia military installations at Fort Stewart, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning and Kings Bay will one day be housing solar farms that can make them independent of the power grid in ...