Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A HUGE RAVE FOR the nice person who used their change to pay for my breakfast at McDonald’s on Columbia Road on Aug. 5. Thank you so much. God bless you and yours.

RAVE FOR RICHMOND County’s sheriff for wanting a gang task force. Richmond County needs one to rid the county of these little thugs, and you will see a decrease in crime.

AUGUSTA COULD become the most famous place in the world, and I certainly am not talking about golf. Look your fellow human in the eye and convey the love that you have for yourself.

MR. PRESIDENT, when you were out campaigning for your second term you told us that al-Qaida was disseminated and on the run, but now we see that you have had to close a large number of our embassies and consulates in the Arab peninsula because of al-Qaida threats. I wonder who has got who on the run now.

WILL THE AUGUSTA Commission stop messing around when it comes to The Patch? You have been messing around for years, and all you have done is scare off potential companies that want to make a go of it. Remember, it’s our tax money that you are wasting. Let’s get on with it and focus on how it can be made a source of revenue for the city.

I LIVE IN A SUBDIVISION in south Augusta where folks do not seem to have any regard for other people’s property. We do not have pets, so I do not think it is my responsibility to scoop up dog poop. Folks with pets should scoop up behind their animals. There is such a thing as leash laws.

TEACHING GOLF IN schools seems to be a good idea; however, don’t lose sight of why the children are in school in the first place. They are there to learn the subjects that matter. Also don’t lose sight of the fact that Richmond County schools have a long way to go to reach acceptable performance levels. Stacey Mabray, the senior director of curriculum, seems to have gotten carried away thinking that golf will bring together a lot of things the children are learning, including math.

WE GIVE FREE LUNCHES to Richmond County students while teachers are on nine days of furlough.

HOW LOW STANDARDS have become. Women walk around looking like they have never combed their hair. I’m afraid a generation of slobs has been raised. How sad; no self-esteem.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/16/13 - 05:29 pm
Rant about Poop

I grew tired in Gwinnett Co. about some lazy tail end
went on line and purchased a novelty sign

"What your pet Deposits here,
will be returned with Interest."

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/16/13 - 05:42 pm
The Last Rant

I agree classy Ladies are becoming far between today in public.
But slobs is one thing.

Spandex, 400lbs in hot pants, Flesh color leotards tucked into every nook and cranny, razor cut jeans all in indecent areas, G-string wings, Sheer Sports bras in public, Pajamas and teddies in public.

This just a small part of what I see in stores while shopping.
Add to it, too many happen to be teens. So where in the heck are the parent(s)?Why do the parents buy this manure for their teens?

It is like the goal has become to dress like a slut, for maximum attention or display the assets for a easy hookup.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/16/13 - 05:46 pm
Leash Laws

People who let their dogs poop in other people’s yards normally have the dog on the leash while he's doing the deed.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/16/13 - 11:09 pm
An incident that happened to me

... at the food court at the mall: Several women were dishing on a group of Travelers who passed by; mostly commenting on their "trashy" look.

While not a fan of their lifestyle, I was about to say something to the effect that for all their makeup and tight clothes, anyone who knows anything about the community will tell you that out-of-wedlock births, multiple baby mama's, venereal disease, divorce and murders over triangles are rarities.

But then their daughters showed up --one wearing a baby tee reading "SLUT IN TRAINING"-- so I saved my breath for my soup.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/16/13 - 11:43 pm
Unwanted poop

I had a neighbor who owned a huge rottweiler, used to lay giant land mines on our yard. This was in my passive-aggressive stage.

She had one of those “I “heart” rottweilers” stickers on her truck. I found a sticker of a “screw” and simply overlaid her heart with my screw.

Being the slacker she was, it was months before she discovered the change.

In hindsight, I should have added a sticker with her phone number on the truck.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 03:38 am

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 03:38 am
Classy Ladies

What makes a hugely overweight lady (or man for that matter) think it's sexy to wear the tightest skimpiest clothes available?

On a recent trip to the beach, my son was flabbergasted when he saw what he thought was a nude huge women. Come to find out, she was so big that the folds of her fat covered up her Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. The women walked through the store as if she were royalty.

You have to admire anyone who is supremely confident in their own skin (or do you?)

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 02:46 am
no self-esteem...

...That is a subject worth discussing! Bad hair wouldn't be first on my list but it's definitely a start.

Many no longer care. A sign of the times I suppose. No care, no pride.

Why do you suppose that is?

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 03:35 am
My wife -

- decided there was little she could do to straighten out her children, so she got creative. When one of her sons got particularly combative towards school she just said "I'll follow you".

And follow him is what she did! She wore a ratty, natty, nightgown and the biggest pink fluffy terry cloth looking slippers she could find, and followed her son throughout school for an entire week.

That boy became meek and ended up actually learning a thing or two. Somehow I'm thinking the current public schools would not allow such a thing. Heck I'm thinking if she tried that know with a grandchild, she may be arrested.

Be careful when blaming parents. There are a few that try, but aren't "allowed". Such is life in the current lib/prog system.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/17/13 - 05:57 am
Letters to the Editor vs. Comments

We had a discussion under the editorial yesterday of whether a LTE or comment was more effective. It was noted (in the comments, heh) that the comments are not shown in the hard copy paper. But that misses the point that they are shown online everywhere in the world and that's another flaw of hard copy papers...the comments can’t be shown. Their readers miss this experience. Also, note some of our regular posters don’t live in the CSRA.

A global audience exists for online papers only. During the Master’s the Chronicle has a worldwide audience yet their hard copy doesn’t get much past Hwy I-520. As to the point asking whether there are more readers, online or hard copy, I’m not sure, but online readers are growing, that I’m sure of. Look at all of us…heh.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 06:02 am
Riverman1

I suspect the online commentators are much more "hard core". There's probably thousands who read the print edition of the editorials without ever responding. Granted there are many who peruse the comment section of the website without ever commenting.

I wouldn't even know how to begin to quantify such a thing. Can only go by "feelings". And good lord, I'd hate to oprahize the situation.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 06:38 am
The coffee is a perking, the

The coffee is a perking, the bacon isa sizzlin, got grits in the pot and eggs ready for the skillet. The canoe is strapped to the top of my car and the fishin' poles are rigged.

Just waiting to see if mother nature will cooperate. I'll be bumbed if it rains, but hey, if no lightning I may give it a try anyways. If it does thunderstorm, I guess I'll just organize at the house.

I love these overcast rainy days come power bill time, which is about the only time I like 'em.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 07:35 am
I need a tad bit more info on this..

Like what are you talking about?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/17/13 - 08:18 am
TEE Center

It's the TEE Center, SeenIt. That's what is going to make Augusta the most famous place in the world.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 08:24 am
The faces of meth

UUGGH...now that I have looked at the faces that myfather posted on another thread...I have a bad taste in my mouth......but seriously...how do you get someone off meth? THAT is what we need to work on......lately I have noticed many young men have fallen into the drug habit....some of them come from upstanding homes with 2 caring parents....so what gives in the world of today....I do remember in my teens I was scared to disobey my dad......others couldn't persuade me of any nonesense.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 08:25 am
hahah llamb

The Tee center would have to sprout wings & fly off to another place for that to happen.....who knows...it might one day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 08:30 am
To this rant

Have you seen the new styles they have today....looks like they just got out of bed.....& that is popular to the young crowd....but so are low riding pants.....I'm just ole fashioned ...I wouldn't pay someone to style my hair like that.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/17/13 - 08:43 am
Good Morning "AC Friends & TSD's" America

This is a backup for RM and Fred on their point that many read the R&R's that are all over the world. I receive emails from many. This is just one I like to share.

"Thanks for your reply, glad that you were sent my e-mail. I log on to the Augusta paper daily usually reading obit, then scan the paper to see if I remember any of the places and things discussed. I do enjoy the rant & rave column, and get a kick out of all the goings on. I've heard from several of you 'guys' and really appreciate your in-put.
I was raised in Augusta and enlisted in the Navy on my 20th birthday, which was the youngest a female could enlist and that with parents' consent. I took my 'boot' at Hunter College NY, then sent to Mechanicsburg PA Naval Supply Depot. There we were working on the Atom Bomb, but did not know it our project was called "SMACK93". Later found out it was Atom. Then sent to Endicott NY IBM School first group of WAVES to ever train there. We were schooled at "programmers" at that time the machines were called Machine Accounting, which later became our computers. After this training was sent to Cleveland Bureau of Supplies and Accounts where I was assigned to Mustering Out Pay Division. Our office worked three shifts making checks for discharged Navy, Coast Guard and Marines. Was often referred to as "check factory". We enlisted for duration plus six months, me being in the mustering out division was one of the last to be discharged as we had to stay until job was completed.
I returned to Augusta after discharge at Great Lakes and worked at Oliver General Hosp. Don't believe it exist any longer, but back then was a large Army Hosp. where many of the returning vets were treated.
I now live in WI, cold, cold WI. But summers are really nice along Lake Michigan. I do miss the warm weather in Georgia, although my husband and I retired to Honolulu for five years until health issues brought us back to the mainland. We then lived in Florida for a few years before his death.

Thanks again for your nice letter and pictures. Hope you have a Happy Veterans' Day and a big thank you for your service to our great country.

Peach

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/17/13 - 08:47 am
By The Way,

She is a female vet, served in WWII US Navy.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 08:49 am
seenit

“but seriously...how do you get someone off meth? THAT is what we need to work on......lately I have noticed many young men have fallen into the drug habit....some of them come from upstanding homes with 2 caring parents....so what gives in the world of today”

Not trying to be a downer but... you don't get someone off meth, they have to get themselves off, unless incarceration forces the issue.

Drugs are a way for many to cope. It may be the hopelessness of their (perceived) future or the drudgery of their life. A state of mind for sure, because there is just too much in this world that God has made to keep a simple or complex man or women happy.

That's what it comes down to in my opinion. Happiness or despair is simply a state of mind. It all depends on what one wishes to dwell on. Granted there are many who may not have many “good” things to dwell on, and I've had my share of setbacks that could have brought me down, but a simple trip outside can cure that in my opinion. A tall weed, or a misshapen tiny pebble has beauty if you just take the time to look; sometimes that beauty is so intense it about brings tears to your eyes!

Of course you know this. That's why I love the South – so many people who appreciate the free gifts given to us. Plus we'll eat anything battered and deep fried!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/17/13 - 08:51 am
The "Patch"

Section 8 golf for commissioners' constituents. THAT is why certain commissioners do not want to relinquish control. Properly run and maintained, the greens fees would need to double just to break even.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/17/13 - 08:56 am
Darn TSD,

There is no doubt that you have a severe mental problem given those TSD's to so many good non-offensive comments.

Yes, I am in agreement with myfather request that all "likes" "unlike" points become like they do in Facebook.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 09:02 am
Great email Colbalt, thanks

Great email Colbalt, thanks for sharing it!

Wow, you just never know! I bet she has a few good stories she could share. Peach is a peach for sure, though I feel sorry about those cold winters in Wisconsin, at least she has access to good cheese. Don't know how she stands it! I may complain about the heat on occasion, but I'll take the oppressive heat over the frigid cold any day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 09:14 am
To this my friend

I just got my Paula Deen magazine & I love it! She is going on with her life (thank goodness)...too good of a good ole gal to let this crap on tv bring her down.....I have her big cookbook too...

btw Mr Cobalt...I too get emails from readers...it seems they like the r/rs a lot....... maybe we are entertainers & just don't know it!! We could end up with our own Duck Dynasty type program on tv ...I can see that in our future..:)

Many read & don't post on here....I wonder if it takes a lot of guts to post ....just never really thought about it..

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 09:25 am
How can a parent allow this

There goes our world as we once knew it....bye bye

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 09:40 am
Ya, I saw something about

Ya, I saw something about Deen's case getting thrown out. You know if there was the slightest tiniest sliver of proof this case would have gone to court. I'm glad she was vindicated, I just wonder how much it cost her. Most times I wish for a loser pays court system.

I wonder if she has grounds for defamation of character?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/17/13 - 09:43 am
Online Comments VS LTE's

CG's post from the lady far away was nice. I’m not against LTE’s. I have written two if I recall over the years. Hard copy papers are loaded with sentimentality. We all love the paper. I simply find comments much more immediate and flowing than a LTE that takes a few days to show up in print. News now shows online via our various gadgets soon after it happens. Waiting to read the story the next morning is a dated practice.

It’s the whole discussion of whether hard copy newspapers will even survive against internet news sites again. I suspect not from the way the value of newspapers everywhere has dropped over the last decade. I believe the future of the Chronicle is online. They believe it to and that’s why the news videos are now part of the online experience. Stories are not only written, but they are videoed, too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 09:45 am
Young Fred

America differs from all other Western democracies (indeed, from virtually all nations of any sort) in its refusal to recognize the principle that the losing side in litigation should contribute toward "making whole" its prevailing opponent. It's long past time this country joined the world in adopting that principle; unfortunately, any steps toward doing so must contend with deeply entrenched resistance from the organized bar, which likes the system the way it is.

Yes they do like the system just as it is...wonder why--heh heh

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 09:50 am
Pleeezee RM

If things were left up to you we would only have toilet paper...geez man....that ain't gonna happen.

Feel--touch---caress--I love paper ....remember the pine trees you have...welll ya better think again my friend....if they are worthless that timber won't bring much $$$..