Atheist wants literature in Georgia state parks

Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 7:54 AM
Last updated 6:57 PM

CARTERSVILLE, GA. -- A member of a national atheist group said Wednesday he is distributing atheist literature to several state parks in Georgia.

Ed Buckner, a former president of American Atheists Inc., said he brought two atheist books for each cottage at Red Top Mountain State Park in Cartersville. The Cranford, N.J.-based organization had said it would supply atheist texts for lodging in Georgia state parks after the governor said in May any religious group could donate literature.

Bibles were temporarily removed earlier this year after Buckner complained about finding them in a cabin he rented at Amicalola Falls State Park. They were returned after the state attorney general said the books were permissible since the state hadn’t paid for them. In May, Gov. Nathan Deal ordered the Bibles returned to state park cabins and said any religious group could donate books.

“American Atheists does not believe the state of Georgia should be placing Bibles or atheist books in state park cabins; however, if the state is going to allow such distribution, we will happily provide our materials,” group president David Silverman said in a statement.

Buckner said Wednesday he was told by officials at Red Top Mountain State Park that the books he dropped off — “The Skeptics Annotated Bible” by Steve Wells and “Fear, Faith, Fact, Fantasy” by Dr. John A. Henderson — wouldn’t be immediately put in cottages at Red Top Mountain because the manager would have to make sure they complied with regulations.

Buckner planned to bring copies of those two texts as well as a third one — “Why I Am Not a Muslim” by Ibn Warraq — to A.H. Stephens Historic Park in Crawfordville later Wednesday. He also said he planned to bring atheist texts to other Georgia state parks later in the week.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 08/15/13 - 06:58 am
Throw Buckner's books

Throw Buckner's books straight in the trash and do not pass Go! Got it Mr. Buckner?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/15/13 - 07:04 am
Utah

I wonder if they have the Book of Mormon in state parks in Utah?

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/15/13 - 07:19 am
Remember church & state. We don't have state religion.

Remember church & state. We don't have state religion.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/15/13 - 07:20 am
True Christian Faith is way beyond the book is in the nightstand

True Christian Faith is way beyond the book is in the nightstand

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/15/13 - 07:23 am
There is also a phone book,restaurant suggestions,local activity

There is also a phone book,restaurant suggestions,local activities

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 08/15/13 - 07:26 am
They have it at every Marriott.

They have it at every Marriott. I demand The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!! All or none. I vote for none. Bring your own reading material from home.

BamaMan
BamaMan 08/15/13 - 07:48 am
Flames

Feel the flames lapping at your feet Mr Buckner? Because it's going to get alot hotter for ya!

David Parker
David Parker 08/15/13 - 08:01 am
Maybe just create a catch-all book?

hindu
islam
christian
hebrew
budhist

southern2
southern2 08/15/13 - 08:41 am
Not much left of this once

Not much left to give. We have continued to submit to the demands of the few until the US is almost unrecognizable. Soon the image of being a "shining city on a hill" will be faded and forgotten and replaced with the degradation and compromise that now defines and forces our new way of life.

ConLaw
ConLaw 08/15/13 - 08:44 am
Deal Should Politely Decline

While Mr. Buckner may not have heard of the Supreme Court decision in Pleasant Grove v. Summum, I'm sure Attorney General Olens has. Governor Deal should politely refuse the athiest's materials, after all, we are a nation founded upon a belief in God as the Giver of life and liberty and the Creator of all things. Mr. Buckner cannot force the state to speak his message. I hope the government stands for Truth.

ragingbull
ragingbull 08/15/13 - 08:52 am
There is a new national

There is a new national holiday for you Mr. Buckner, it is April Fools Day. It will become very apparent to you on judgment day.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/15/13 - 09:14 am
A simple Message

"We are Atheists we don't believe in nothing
and we want you to believe in nothing with us."

Sounds like a very short message that could fit on a business card.
They had better get them printed on fireproof material for hell though.

KSL
KSL 08/15/13 - 09:23 am
??????

Against any religious indoctrination but their own non religion?

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/15/13 - 10:18 am
I'm in agreement with the all

I'm in agreement with the all or none. In the spirit of fairness, I can hardly expect them to keep the Bibles and not have other faiths represented. I am a Christian, and it doesn't offend me to have Buckner's books or any other faith's books there - I simply won't read them - just as I expect he won't read the Bible.

Christians get a bad rap all the time regarding a perceived intolerance to other religions or faiths. I'm in no way, shape or form an advocate for "PC" but I have to say that the way I look at this is what's the harm? He's not taking anything away from me, and I won't take anything away from him. If he continued to press on taking Bibles out, then I'd have a beef.

I can't force someone to bend to my beliefs anymore than they can force me to bend to theirs.

KSL
KSL 08/15/13 - 10:20 am
So first they want others'

So first they want others' information out. Now they want theirs in. Does that remind you of no religeon in public schools, but now wait, we taxpayers have to provide accommldations for Islams on public property.

KSL
KSL 08/15/13 - 10:22 am
Totally

Agree with you, red.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/15/13 - 10:31 am
I love to read about

I love to read about different religions-at least they admit atheism is a religion too. I doubt a Koran or atheist manifesto or universalist gumbo would sway me from a relationship with a living God. Experiencing God is different from intellectualizing religions. I tried other religions too but found them dead-at least my personal experience. Others may find a different result-a friend of mine sought out hindu spirituality.

KSL
KSL 08/15/13 - 10:54 am
Who wants to read that stuff

Who wants to read that stuff when they are paying to stay overnight?

KSL
KSL 08/15/13 - 10:58 am
Biz

You believe what you believe. I frankly don't need to refer to a book constantly. I have memorized a lot of recipes.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/15/13 - 01:20 pm
Well I follow the Way-others

Well I follow the Way-others have apparently losy theirs. hee,hee,her
KSL so true-only if you are room ridden and board to death do you even bother to look.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/15/13 - 12:23 pm
I surely don't have an issue

I surely don't have an issue with this. My God is an awesome God and his power and wisdom reigns. I'm sure there are those who may scan these books and out of curosity read some of Mr. Buckner's literature but I suppose if I was staying in a room where this junk was available, I'd simply take it to the front desk and ask them to hold it until I checked out of my room. What I find odd is that he has supplied two books per cabin where as the Giddeons have only place a single Bible in each room/cabin. Then he mentions a third book as well, so I find it rather commical that it takes 3 secular books to convince someone there isn't a God but only reading The Bible and through the conviction of the Holy Spirit to prove to you there is God.

David Parker
David Parker 08/15/13 - 01:16 pm
May as well sign the state up

May as well sign the state up for a subscription to Intelligent Design Digest for good measure :(

myfather15
myfather15 08/15/13 - 02:56 pm
If you don't believe this

If you don't believe this Country was founded on the Christian faith, look up the Original Seal of the United States of America. Heres a hint; it had Moses parting the red sea on it!!

Also, look up the letters the Founding Father's wrote to Thomas Paine, when he decided to write openly about his lack of faith!!

I will quote just ONE line of one of the letters to Paine; "If you believe man is evil WITH God, imagine the world without Him."

NEVER, has a statement been more true!!

This Country WAS found on Christianity!! They also KNEW people should not have to follow this (FREE WILL). That was the purpose of the "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

So there would be NO State mandated religion!! Forcing someone to love something, isn't true love and it's interfering with FREE WILL. Let them make their bed and then lie in it!!! THAT is God's way!!

But alledged "Christians" today, need to understand themselves this IS a Christian nation!! Start STANDING UP FOR IT!!! Is God a religion to you, or a reality? If He is only a religion, feel free to let the athiest walk all over you and CHANGE your opinion on issues. If He is a REALITY, you need to STAND STRONG against people like this!!

But all to often I see people say stuff like "Well, that's Ok with me." Because they've BELIEVED the lies of the atheists and leftists, that God must be seperate from government; and that any mention of God in a government building is wrong and violates that seperation!!

They constantly LIE because they have no honor, morals or integrity, do you want to be like them? Stop believing their LIES people!! Ask them to tell you EXACTLY how, placing a Bible in a building is "making a law" or establishing and forcing a State religion!! Ask them!! One could argue it's suggestive, but certainly not MAKING A LAW RESPECTING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF RELIGION!!

Stop getting softer and softer people!! If you believe there is ONE GOD and that God is the Father of Jesus Christ, Start acting like you believe!! Start acting like it's a reality and STAND UP!!!

David Parker
David Parker 08/15/13 - 03:23 pm
Twain said it best.

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows

corgimom
corgimom 08/15/13 - 03:42 pm
Myfather, I have to tell you,

Myfather, I have to tell you, the part about Moses parting the Red Sea on the Seal was based on the Founding Fathers' deism beliefs, not Christianity. Moses was Jewish, remember?

There is no question that they were Deists, which is different than Christians. Believing in God doesn't make you a Christian- Jewish people believe in God but not Jesus, and that's the difference.

They deliberately left out all references to Jesus. That wasn't an accident.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 08/15/13 - 03:47 pm
Chief Justice John Roberts

“You’re really just picking your poison, aren’t you? I mean, the more you say that the monument is government speech to get out of the . . . free speech clause, the more it seems to me you’re walking into a trap under the establishment clause. If it’s government speech, it may not present a free speech problem, but what is the government doing speaking—supporting the Ten Commandments?”

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/15/13 - 03:59 pm
Well the atheist have such a

Well the atheist have such a positive upbeat message-life is meaningless as we are just another animal so no difference in an ant, a mouse or a man-just dead animal-end of story. Life is just a series of futile efforts meaning nothing-at most you can reproduce. But you can find solace in being a meaningless speck in a meaningless universe, that you understand in your brilliance just how ignorant, meaningless, and futile our efforts as we continue to evolve with no orthogenetic direction just random replicators in a random universe with mass extinctions inevitable. I know many think Christians are idiots-but call me a happy idiot. Immortality or just dead-tough one eh. Heaven or just destruction. I'm special in the image of God (no less) or I'm just another mammal with little diversity or numbers so barely a difference between us and a chimp. Then the bonus the God of the bible is alive!!!!! You can experience God! Man if this is a delusion gimme more.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/15/13 - 04:02 pm
Jesus is still King of the

Jesus is still King of the Jews. His return will be as King of the Jews-the covenant with the Jews still goes, the re-establishment of the temple, etc.

Bantana
2071
Bantana 08/15/13 - 05:13 pm
a christian nation?

The arrogance of some is appalling.
I believe Jews, Mormons, Hindus and all the adherents of other established religions would take exception with that assertion. And Atheist don't believe life is meaningless, they just don't believe superstitions give meaning, but rather it is found in familial relationships and how you interact with others in everyday life that gives meaning. I find it disturbing that some folks talk of hell and feeling the heat as though they have the inside track and a god given right to sit in judgment of others.

If you ever had stayed in a Marriott hotel property you would have found the Book of Mormon in the night side table drawer.

Darby
Darby 08/15/13 - 06:05 pm
I'm sure folks visiting those cottages

can find those tomes useful.

For example, you can never find enough door stops or paper weights.