Rants & Raves

STUDENT MEALS TO be free? Nothing’s free; somebody pays. Two: This “free meals” lie is further proof that Marxism has marched boldly into the U.S.

I HAVE MADE MANY trips to Westview Ceme­tery over many years as I have a lot of family there. I have always thought the place was kept reasonably well until about two weeks ago. When I went, I was very disappointed in the appearance of the place – overgrown grass, fire ants, just an unkempt look! The grass that was cut was just blown all over the grave stones. If manpower is the problem, maybe you could use prisoners to help out. Just please do something. Our loved ones deserve more respect than this.

FREE BREAKFAST and lunches for all Richmond County students?! I remember running out of money on my school lunch account one day, and I got a refrigerated PB&J graham cracker sandwich while everyone else in the lunch line got a hot meal. This is such a slap in the face to my parents, as well as every other parent, who actually paid for their children’s “nutritious” school meals every year. Use this rant as a coupon to redeem your free meal today!

IF WE HAD MORE people in the workforce like Jillian at S&S Cafeteria, the world would be a better place. I have worked at many a restaurant and have an understanding of how stressful and demanding it can be. Letting a smile be your name tag and having a positive attitude regardless makes people want to come back. Serving my favorite food helps, too. Thank you, Jilly Bean.

I WAS AT THE Augusta Mall yesterday with my grandsons. They said to me, “Papa, look where that boy is wearing his pants!” You could see more than just his underwear! I think security should ticket kids that dress like that. It’s disgusting.

PROTESTING downtown to oppose a tax increase will accomplish as much as barking at the moon! I bet all those folks protesting voted Democrat, too, the party of more taxes. Why not vote Repub­lican next time, the party that cuts taxes? Better still, vote for the fair tax (see fairtax.org) and all taxes will be eliminated, including payroll taxes. You keep every penny you earn, and pay taxes only on what you choose to buy. But, no, Democrats will always keep barking at the moon!

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/11/13 - 08:17 pm
It seems to be a question of

It seems to be a question of denial for some.

On one side we have a small group of people vigorously trying to pump up the Augusta Richmond County image on a daily basis. Always promoting growth at the turn of negative incident.

But there is little denying Augusta Richmond County continues to lose its middle to upper middle class tax base, as it moves out to surrounding counties and commutes in for work?

One need look no further than Augusta Chronicles own Crime Database and check HOMICIDES in the 3 county area.\

Homicides between August 1, 2012 to August 1, 2013
then select ALL for counties

35 are listed and they break down this way.

AIKEN.....7

COLUMBIA..1

RICHMOND.....27
ARC has 3 times both counties put together.
Sure we will hear this an that, about what is coming to WEST Augusta /Martinez .

But now you better understand 1 of many reasons for the changes in ARC.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/11/13 - 08:49 pm
"...This is such a slap in the face

... (to) every other parent, who actually paid for their children’s ... meals every year..."

Don't sweat it; at the rate they're taking it from the workers in taxes to feed the drones, at some point in the future everyone will be relying on the beneficence of Big Sister.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/11/13 - 08:51 pm
"...I think security should ticket kids that dress like that..."

And supress his cultural identity? Racist!

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/11/13 - 09:34 pm
Augusta Mall has a Dress Code

BUT Try getting them to enforce it.

Augusta Mall may have run it course.

I have watched the Trolls growing in their boldness in style, dress (undress) and cutting the fool.

When a Head Shop posts adult viewing level T-shirts and posters in clear view of the Mall's general floor traffic I have a issue.

I am not prude, but everything has it place.
An Not everything should be seen in a Public accessible place where kids are present.

BTW:
I heard a rumor of a planning proposal for a Mall closer to Columbia Co. and I-20. |---> Anyone have any info...

countyman
20590
countyman 08/11/13 - 10:55 pm
Private sector

There's been several times were Richmond had much lower than 27 homicides in one year, and Aiken/Columbia both had their total higher than 1/7 before. Between August 11th 2012 and August 2013 we had 24 for example, and the city had under 20 multiple times. Some of those homicides are neglect, etc also. Homicide is one type of crime, and they can fluctuate continously. The population of Richmond is 40k higher compared to Aiken, and 71k larger than Columbia.

The 2012 census estimate, and the private sector growth in 2013 shows the middle to upper class is moving into Richmond County. I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't include any of the Martinez developments for West Augusta. When people think of Martinez Columbia County automatically comes to mind. Bass Pro is located in Columbia County, but it will definitely help out West Augusta(Carmax, Gateway, etc in RC).

This is how you really know Richmond County is growing. Let's not even mention the Whole Foods, Cabelas's, and upscale movie theater coming to West Augusta/North Richmond. The Walmart on Wrightsboro rd and Texas Roadhouse off Washington rd near the Zaxby's are both under construction in West Augusta. The new Ghengis Grill opened recently in the Augusta Exchange in West Augusta.

Let's not even mention the developments underway in West Augusta. The Walgreens/3 acre development at Tobacco rd/Wondsor Spring is under construction in South Augusta, the Cook Out in Harrisburg, Craft & Vine in the CBD, etc.

I almost forgot to mention the Augusta mall is the #1 shopping destination with a trade area over 500k. The first H&M outside of metro Atlanta is coming to the mall. The first Michael Kors boutique outside of metro Atlanta is suppose to open upstairs next to Clark's. The Augusta mall is by far the most upscale mall in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta. The only comparable mall in South Carolina is the Haywood mall, and the Augusta mall is slightly better.

countyman
20590
countyman 08/11/13 - 11:16 pm
Little Lamb.. The spin stops

Little Lamb. Developers won't start building anything unless they see profit... The next Target is more than likely coming to South Augusta.

The amount of proposed private developments is simply AMAZING....

44 acre residential/commercial development at Walton Way Extension/I-20 in West Augusta.

25 acre shopping center/10k sq. ft. center on Jimmie Dyess in Southwest Augusta(near Zaxbys)

13 acre shopping center at Gordon Hwy/Robinson Ave in Southwest Augusta

25 acre shopping center near Kroger in the Medical District/Harrisburg

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/11/13 - 11:20 pm
Part Time

I wonder how many of the workers in those shopping centers Countyman is slobbering about will be full-time workers covered by the Affordable Care Act? From what I hear, employers are now making sure that all new workers are part-time workers with no health insurance benefits because the burdens of the Affordable Care Act are too heavy for employers to bear.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/12/13 - 03:09 am
Rant #2 is exactly why I wish

Rant #2 is exactly why I wish my family to have me cremated! Take and sling my ashes over the mountains, or the lake, or in the back yard, I don't much care! Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/12/13 - 04:56 am
Go All The Way With Low Riding Pants

I wonder just how low the pants would go if there were no rules? I mean if the theme is the lower your pants are the cooler you are, why not just keep them at your ankles? That would be so with it. Guys shuffling around with their pants around their ankles. Maybe even have sprints where the runners have to wear their shorts around their ankles and make these quick little, sliding their feet, moves down the track. The winners standing on the awards platform to get medals with their pants down on their shoes.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/12/13 - 05:06 am
CSRA

Thanks, Richmond County for the jobs. Thanks also in a humorous way, if you know what I mean, for making Columbia County one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. There are 3,144 counties and county-equivalents in the U.S. as of 2013. According to the 2012 U.S. Census estimate Columbia County is the 21st fastest growing county with populations over 100,000 and 45th fastest growing with populations over 10,000. That’s special and bodes well for the entire CSRA when you consider the high income of Columbia County residents.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/12/13 - 06:23 am
(Countyman) "I almost forgot

(Countyman) "I almost forgot to mention the Augusta mall is the #1 shopping destination with a trade area over 500k. The first H&M outside of metro Atlanta is coming to the mall. The first Michael Kors boutique outside of metro Atlanta is suppose to open upstairs next to Clark's. The Augusta mall is by far the most upscale mall in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta."

countyman you can toot the Augusta Mall's horn all you like but have you actually been to the mall on a Friday or Saturday evening. It has gotten disgusting. I can handle (not that I think it's respectable) a young man having his pants sagging a little but the sights I saw two weeks ago was unbelievable. The young men had their pants sagging down around the thigh area with one hand holding on to the front part just to keep them from falling down. If you think this type of activity will not eventually bring the Augusta Mall down, you are sadly mistaken. People will eventually do as I have done, from going and shopping at the mall at least once a week to now maybe going once a month. I park in front of JC Penny, Sears, or one of the other major department stores, go in and catch the sales, and then right back out the side doors. The only reason why I happen to see this disgusting display of modern dress culture was I was stupid enough to decide to dine at the food court.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/12/13 - 06:45 am
Population vs Crime

Please commissioners, do something to stop the population growth of ARC. According to some reasoning that will be the only way to lower the crime rate. Especially murders.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/12/13 - 06:45 am
ICL's post is exactly on point.

If my wife or myself go to Augusta Mall at all it is as soon as the stores open. That's the only way we don't have to look at dirty underwear. Our trips to the mall are normally kept to less than 5 a year. If there is something we want we take our business elsewhere to get it, either out of town (outlet malls), where we don't see this, or order it online. Clean up the loud, rude, vulger pants on the ground crowd and I wouldn't mind strolling around while my wife shops on a Sunday afternoon. It used to be a lot nicer and when there was Cashin's and Carrie Nation's more men accompanied their wives there, or at least as far as the bar stool!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/12/13 - 06:49 am
Free Food

Does anyone know how to apply for a refund for money spent on school l lunches. I feel discriminated against since I paid for my children's lunches.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/12/13 - 06:53 am
People Watchin'

I too used to like to visit the mall. I would get me a cup of coffee and people watch while the ladies did their shopping. Now I'm afraid of what I might see.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/12/13 - 08:01 am
Black on white, nothing to write.

A man was walking in his own neighborhood when he was jumped by a gang, beaten, robbed, stomped on the head into a coma and left for dead. The coverage does not mention the race of the victim or his attackers, which in PC-speak means it was your garden variety black on white violence. Dog bites man. Must be a slow news day to even cover something so mundane.

angedelune
angedelune 08/12/13 - 08:23 am
srsly?

thank you countyman for pointing out all the good coming to the area. I am personally very proud to live in Augusta and see all the growth that is coming our way. We just recently bought a house in Summerville to be in the middle of everything, and i'm very excited to see what the future brings. You may have "white middle-class" republican families moving to Evans, but let's face it, Evans sucks when it comes to shopping and places to eat. I much prefer the hipster/young modern feel that downtown has picked up. yes we have our problems but what big city doesn't. Now, my question to the rest of you griping and complaining is, "what are you doing to better the area?" I mean besides sitting behind your computer screens ranting and raving at words on a screen. Do you get out and volunteer at women's shelters or help with harrisburg renovations? do you do other charity work? how many of you have formed "take back the night" rallies or done ANYTHING to help combat violence in downtown. Have you brought up a petition to the Augusta Mall to ban sagging pants and MAKE SURE it is enforced? it's easy to sit back and complain and skirt in and out the side door of Sears or blame race relations rather than, i dunno, ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/12/13 - 08:39 am
RKill has a point with this..

Does anyone know how to apply for a refund for money spent on school l lunches.

We have retribution for farmers don't we?? Why not for all of us who paid full price for school meals...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/12/13 - 08:33 am
Sagging & baggy

It tis true in the years past I would watch traffic at the mall....kinda interesting at times...but now with bagging & behinds in the air it has taken the allure of people watching to a lower level.....sometimes some things are better left unseen.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/12/13 - 08:42 am
It makes sense for this to happen,,

Rumor about new mall at I-20 in Columbia county...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/12/13 - 08:45 am
icl I agree

BUT..they didn't listen when we said clean up the regency Mall so I doubt they will listen now.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/12/13 - 08:48 am
@Countyman – “The population

@Countyman – “The population of Richmond is 40k higher compared to Aiken, and 71k larger than Columbia”

Are you sure about that? Are you comparing apples vs apples? (the whole of Richland county vs the whole of Richmond county?)

The only reason I ask – It seems (hard to believe I know) there are more @#$%&$ on the road around Columbia at rush hour than around Augusta at rush hour.

Purely anecdotal I know, but one has to wonder.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/12/13 - 09:08 am
coldbeer you are sooo right on this

"I wouldn't mind strolling around while my wife shops on a Sunday afternoon. It used to be a lot nicer and when there was Cashin's and Carrie Nation's more men accompanied their wives there, or at least as far as the bar stool!"

THAT is the kind of mall Columbia county needs....with some upscale shopping & some of the best restaurants with bars....maybe another Bonefish or French Market Grille......with tough security & loose pants won't be allowed...yea yea...let's do this coldbeer....we could make it happen!

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/12/13 - 09:32 am
"STUDENT MEALS TO be free?

"STUDENT MEALS TO be free? Nothing’s free; somebody pays."

It's a training program to get the kid's use to the Food Stamp concept.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/12/13 - 09:42 am
Mall security?

The mall won't be responsible for anything that happens to you; read the posted signs by the main entrances. They won't protect you, and you aren't allowed to protect yourself, either. Despite the ban on lawfully carried firearms, I have seen three different individuals carrying ill-concealed handguns not in "...a holster, hip grip or similar device..." strolling right by geriatric mall security, one only yesterday.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/12/13 - 09:57 am
I haven’t been in the mall

I haven’t been in the mall for years. Except for Barnes & Nobles, I park, enter the store from the outside entrance and exit from same.

I have no need to purposely put myself in a position to try and teach common courtesy and consideration to others. Especially to complete strangers, punks, thugs, and thugettes. Not that the little fools would listen to an old fart like me anyway – I can see the glazed looks now, almost like they have cataracts.

@dichotomy – free lunches and food stamps – I think they call it “life skills” nowadays, the public schools are very good at this, the typical graduate can’t make change from a ten dollar bill, but they dang sure know how to apply for food stamps.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/12/13 - 10:03 am
Angedelune...

Angedelune said among other things, “I mean besides sitting behind your computer screens ranting and raving at words on a screen.”

Interesting that you chose to make such a comment online. Could it be you feel making the comment online on the Chronicle website is more effective? But the bigger point is you seriously miss the power of the written word, especially when the word reaches mega audiences of knowledgeable people such as the Chronicle boasts. Personally, I believe one Chronicle reader is worth about fifty of those reading and commenting in other places.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/12/13 - 10:07 am
Columbia County Mall

When another mall goes up in Columbia County it would be a good idea to keep it off the buslines. The store managers should work to provide transportation for their employees who require rides.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/12/13 - 10:16 am
I almost posted that rm

Keep it off the bus lines..BUT you know some will say we are racists with that remark.....but whatever...that would save the mall from some misfits with the wrong attitude.....the Mall would need serious shoppers with some serious money in their pocket...that is just the way the ole ball bounces...like it or not but money talks.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/12/13 - 11:04 am
What on Earth makes a judge

What on Earth makes a judge think they have the right to tell parents what they can and can't name their children? This is WAY over the top!

edit--
I got a thumbs down? I would love to hear from the person who thinks judges should be able to tell parents what they can and can't name their children.