Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A HUGE RAVE TO the Augusta GreenJackets. They made Reggie, who is a bone cancer survivor, feel very special. He threw out the first pitch, got posters, a signed baseball and even got to hang out with the players. Thank you for going above and beyond for this very special young man.

IF YOU DON’T TREAT your neighbor’s property as well as you do your own, then it’s clear you think little of them. It would be good if we all treated private, public and commercial property with a little more respect in the Augusta area. From time to time it’s probably a good idea to consider the potential impacts we all have on these types of properties, starting with our own neighbor’s yards.

A RANT TO THE Rich­mond County Board of Education: Some educators in your system want to teach how horrible America is. They ignore that our founding documents were the premise for revolutions that freed millions around the world; that through the U.S., Europe and Asia were freed twice; trillions have been spent to feed billions worldwide and here at home; Christians from the U.S. have taken food, education and medicine to millions, including the Indians in the U.S.; and more people have benefited from our economic system than any other in world history. I am aware of our faults, but I don’t wear dark shades that ignore our greatness.

ALTHOUGH NOT A naysayer nor a NIMBY, I do oppose the city being involved in building a stadium, which might or might not be a financial success, using tax money. What is certain is that two ugly structures would sit right on the river in South Carolina’s riverfront community.

THIS IS TO THE obviously ignorant person who wrote a brief breakdown of what he/she believes happened to Trayvon Martin. First of all, you made your comment to stir up mess. Trayvon was followed by George Zimmerman. You said it was not about color. You are so wrong. If Trayvon was white and Zimmerman black, his death sentence would be signed, sealed and delivered.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/09/13 - 07:08 pm
Day 531 and America still MIS-hearing about the TM/GZ facts

Give it a rest,
The Jury did on July 13, 2013. That was 28 days ago.

Yes some of America grumbled for a week or two.

But now only the Civil Rights Race Baiters for Profit, Race Agitators and the MEDIA are the only ones that continue to push this story.

Some people will never be happy and will never sincerely look at the facts of any case. Because of that, there always be a gaping hole in their life because they are not happy without some imagined earth shattering cause to get up to in the morning and protest.

Go to bed tonight understanding:
The Klan does not march down main street, Jim Crow Laws died some 50 years ago, The Black Community has had the same,in fact MORE, rights, support and privileges than many whites for the last 30 years to level the playing field. Yes there still is a racist here and there on BOTH SIDES. But there are no George Wallace's, JB Stoner's or Robert Byrds holding high offices any more. Because the law is handling them as they violate the law.

So Brother, I encourage you to Find Peace, accept the fact that races in America are closer than 40 years ago, and Racial Politics will die in another generation or two. So Move on to a productive cause that will build not tear down the gains of the last 30, 40 and 50 years.

But Above all

Get a true understanding of what America is now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/10/13 - 02:19 am
Mow Thou Neighbor's Lawn

It sounds like one ranter wants his neighbor to mow his lawn.

Another commenter wanted to praise her boss in public. Not a bad idea if you let others know you wrote the comment and I have a feeling you will.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/10/13 - 06:41 am
Mow Thou Neighbor's Lawn

That is exactly what I'm going to do for my neighbor...well I won't mow but will pay for some to care for it in the next month...that is her Christmas gift...a little early but well needed for her because of the dang heat.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/10/13 - 06:43 am
What a shame to hear this

"A RANT TO THE Rich­mond County Board of Education: Some educators in your system want to teach how horrible America is"

I heard how great it was while in school....funny that the folks who say it is bad never want to move elsewhere....wish they would!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/10/13 - 06:48 am
Oprah was snubbed

I read that Oprah was snubbed in a very expensive shop ....she wanted to look at a bag costing $38,000 & the shop lady said she couldn't afford it & wanted her to look at others....haa...see, we all get that treatment at times...
Now they have apologized to her.....they found out she made 77millioin last year! I bet she didn't buy anything though.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/10/13 - 06:51 am
Sounds like a gem...try to keep her

A RAVE TO HEPHZIBAH Middle School’s principal:

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/10/13 - 06:59 am
I had to laugh at the "Pretty Woman II

... with Oprah in Switzerland. Oprah said in an interview, "I could have used the race card, but instead I just said, 'No, I can't afford it."

Stupid saleswoman works on commssion, I bet. (Giggle)

But it is kinda cool there are people who don't know who Oprah is. And that Oprah didn't go straight to the race card (classy) is an attitude that probably helped her get to where she is to-day.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/10/13 - 07:08 am
"...Some educators in your system

...want to teach how horrible America is."

The sisters who taught at my school were majority French Canadian and Irish. As it was an indian mission school, most of the students knew first hand how poorly our nation could act. Confronted by one of the boys, I remember the nun's reply, "America is an ideal, and it only works as well or poorly as the people work at making it. You want a better America, YOU work at making it so."

I wish our elite education class had so much insight.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/10/13 - 07:12 am
stewart

You had some great teachers...I bet you behaved too. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/10/13 - 07:19 am
Speaking of snubbing

I remember once we went to Havertys to look at dining room furniture....we had been cleaning the yard & didn't really change clothing because we were in a hurry.....the salesmen kinda ignored us at first..I'm sure they thought we couldn't be serious buyers......well one guy came up & gave us his full attention.......afte we bought & wrote a check for the furniture I asked him this..."Did you think we could buy anything when we first came in looking like we do today?"

He said "Mam...I don't ever judge a person when they come through that door,, they can always fool you." A good salesman.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/10/13 - 07:25 am
School in session

School starts too dang early..too hot & messy outside....why doesn't it start like it used to...after Sept 1...dang!

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/10/13 - 08:49 am
"...I bet you behaved too."

You'd lose.

(In private, the nuns referred to me as, "That wicked limb o' Satan," or less often, "The Devil's EVIL twin.")

Darby
Darby 08/10/13 - 10:08 am
"Trayvon was followed by George Zimmerman."

Yes, until Trayvon decided to hide in ambush, attack and attempt to kill Zimmerman.

Then justice was served!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/10/13 - 10:43 am
A little late

I just opened my July Augusta water & sewer bill to make a payment. Inside was a color newsletter on slick glossy paper, titled H2O In The Know. The main story was the process of how a water bill is generated. The newsletter was dated Spring 2013. Is such an expense really necessary?

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/10/13 - 10:52 am
LAST Comment.....

Nearly all the TROLLS around here have nothing to do except stir mess about RACE! Wake up, most of you Trolls and smell the coffee!

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/10/13 - 11:09 am
Last Rant & Rave entry.

First sentence the word "ignorant" told us your color. I think that word is taught universally in the black community to describe "whitey." Nothing more!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/10/13 - 12:58 pm
Ranter #5

He or she has the correct vision. A minor league baseball stadium sits dark and cold most days and nights of the year. Something prettier, something better, something more functional could occupy that land.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/10/13 - 01:10 pm
Waterbill and pamphlet

LL - I had written to the Waterworks Department the last time I received such an expensive brochure - calling their attention to the cost and how much cheaper something like that could be produced. Did not sink in - as I can see from your rant. Why should it? The taxpayers have to pay their bills if they want water and the authority at the Waterworks does at it pleases. Disgusting!! They should be ashamed.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/10/13 - 01:15 pm
Oprah ain't the only one

A few years ago I stopped in a local golf shop on my way home from work. I was driving my old work truck, dressed in jeans. tee shirt, and work boots. No one even came close to me. I went back the next day driving my wife's van and wearing khakis, polo shirt, and loafers. All of a sudden the staff became very helpful. I went to another store to purchase a new sand wedge. I just wanted to see how I would be treated dressed differently. Maybe I should file a lawsuit.

gargoyle
gargoyle 08/10/13 - 02:11 pm
The wealthiest man I ever

The wealthiest man I ever knew wore Dickies work shirt and pants every where he went. He didn't have to impress anyone with appearance he let his actions and cash impress. Once the Hotel he liked meet up and have a drink closed so he purchased it to keep it open . I learned not to judge a book by its cover and to look to actions not words early in life .

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/10/13 - 05:06 pm
Relax- in Columbia County

... not only do they print a full colour spare-no-taxpayer-expense brochure telling us how wonderful they are, despite water rationing when we're selling it to neighboring counties, but it also doubles as campaign literature for the commisars.

That's a double ouch!

corgimom
corgimom 08/10/13 - 07:32 pm
"A RAVE TO HEPHZIBAH Middle

"A RAVE TO HEPHZIBAH Middle School’s principal: I have been a teacher for the school for 12 years, and she is by far the best leader we’ve had. It’s nice to have a leader who cares for us and our families and is respected by the Richmond County Board of Education; she doesn’t undermine our ability to succeed. She doesn’t play favorites and is not vindictive. The past three years have been refreshing!"

Is it time for the Deltas' convention or something?