Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RAVE for the nice young lady who bothered to flag me down in the parking lot of Big Lots. I had dropped my debit card without realizing it, and she wanted to make sure I got it back. I’m sorry I didn’t ask your name, but God knows. Blessings to you!

WE HAVE THE NSA scanning our e-mails and recording our phone calls, the post office scanning our mail and now the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office scanning our license plates. I rather like what I see with the license plate scanning, which will catch some of the local criminal element on a real time basis. It’s impressive that the scanner, on one car, can scan 1,000 cars in 10 minutes.

IN REFERENCE TO pedestrian fatalities and Wrightsboro Road: The reason you are having so many kids there is the library on Jackson Road and the apartment units on Jackson Road. Yes, they should be more careful crossing. I’m an adult who has crossed for years with no problems. I’ve never come close to being hit, even as a senior citizen with lack of speed. Please don’t make me walk all the way over to the crosswalk to cross.

HOODIES ARE unwelcome in your neighborhood? Even neighborhood watch cannot make that illegal. Kids wear hoodies all the time. How are you going to stop that? With your concealed weapons? It doesn’t matter what mix or races that Zimmerman is, he disobeyed law enforcement advice, stalked the kid on the basis of his look wearing a hoodie, harassed him and then killed him.

AUGUSTA COMMISSION members don’t want stores like Target on the south side. They denied Target to set up a shopping center off Peach and Tobacco Road. We pay high taxes like any others in the county. Why should we have to drive to Columbia County to shop and Wheeler Road all the time?

WHAT A GREAT IDEA to give the wayward teens a touch of jail. Their exposure to jail conditions will make an impression on them. I have no doubt that the majority of teens exposed to this program will mend their ways.

IT’S TIME TO PULL the plug! Why should the South Carolina taxpayers have to fork out $635,400 a year on traffic control for college football games? Times have changed, so let’s see how the laws can be changed so the colleges pick up the tab. Fair is fair!

THIS IS A RANT TO smokers who feel compelled to fling their cigarettes out of their car windows. I had one land on my car, and it damaged paint on the hood.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/09/13 - 07:09 am
REF: the license plate aka massive warrant-less search

(Edited only to correct a grammatical typo.)
I too am all for catching criminals.
But I am just as much about protecting my rights.

because I see with the license plate scanning, as yet another potential for digital privacy abuse.

What about After the tag has been scanned?
What about the data like date, GPS, coordinates, even though more than 99.999% turn out to be honest citizens.

How long will the data be kept?
Whom will now have access to that data?
Will the data be shared with other agencies?
Will the data be sold to commercial companies?
Will the data be used to data mine people?
There are too questions and opportunities for abuse.
So (I) cannot --- support tag scanning which amounts to another warrant-less search of 1000's of innocent citizens to capture
(the usual)- bench warrant traffic ticket person.

Lets take it one simple step further.
Lets mount one of these on a pole next to a road and track every person on the road. Then use a computer to track individual people around town or where they are going.

Oh Sure
Wait for it we will have a Media Headline & Story promoting this in the near future. The story will tell us and showing us how successful it was in capturing a ______ criminal. All just to sell it.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/08/13 - 06:46 pm
Countyman is there any truth

the Rant about the ARC Commission denying Target on Peach Orchard Rd?

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/08/13 - 06:56 pm
Ref: library on Jackson

Ref: library on Jackson Road
and the apartment units on Jackson Road.
Just how far is that crosswalk?

Well using Google Street Level, I see a crosswalk right on the property across from the Elementary School .

BTW: there is a reason they call the middle lane a Suicide Lane.
So If not to obey the law, isn't your life walk the extra 20-30 steps?

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/08/13 - 07:12 pm
Wow! AC, do I see a relapse here?

only 2 days without a TM/GZ Rant since 7-25-13 in the R&R's.

Please strongly consider giving it a rest, despite some people trying desperately to resurrect this issue to generate HATE.

It just ain't working and no one is really buying into it other than seriously misinformed people.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/08/13 - 07:13 pm
Just curious Which Big lots

Just curious
Which Big lots parking lot?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/08/13 - 08:05 pm
Jackson vs. Wrightsboro

@Ranter #3: Jaywalking across Wrightsboro Rd. is insanity. Jaywalking across Jackson Rd. back & forth between the apartments and the library is merely lunacy.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/08/13 - 10:13 pm
RE: 08/08/13 - 08:34 pm

Posted yesterday; AND the cops first went to arrest the white bus driver for not stopping the beating.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/08/13 - 10:16 pm
An acquaintance who follows these things

...sent me the following: For those who did not follow the trial, here is a brief summary, compiled from totally unbiased CBS, CNN, and MSNBC news reports:

. Eighth grade honor student Trayvon Martin is walking home from church, eager to do his homework.

. Aryan Nation member George Zimmerman is driving around in his pickup truck with Confederate flag license plate and decals.

. Zimmerman spots Martin in the dark by the light glowing from the little boy's halo.

. The Klansman takes chase, hunting Trayvon down like a dog.

. The budding football star nearly outruns the racist, but he stops when he comes to a "Do Not Enter" sign.

. Unwilling to disobey a lawful sign, he turns to face his attacker.

. The child attempts to reason with his attacker, but the illiterate power-mad cop-wannabe is not inclined to listen to reason, or pleas for compassion.

. Despite numerous specific orders from police officers to not leave his vehicle, Zimmerman exits his truck and says, "Any last words, n******?"

. "Praise Jesus. God bless you, Sir," replies the helpless youngster.

. Zimmerman drags the future Nobel Peace Prize winner on top of him.

. A witness sees the youngster repeatedly swinging his arms, apparently attempting to make the sign of the cross.

. "White-Hispanic Power!" screams Zimmerman, as he empties the high-capacity magazine loaded with hollow-point bullets from his semi-automatic assault pistol.

. Zimmerman then fiendishly punches himself in the face, breaking his nose, and repeatedly bangs his head on the sidewalk while screaming "Help me! Help me!" which obviously is a secret racist code for "Heil Hitler."

. When he is sure that Martin is dead, Zimmerman gets back into his gas-guzzling, globe-warming pickup truck and makes his escape.

. The last thing poor little Trayvon sees before he dies is the "Bush-Cheney 2004" bumper sticker on Zimmerman's bumper.

I'm sure ranter #4 saw the same, as long as they were not bothered to watch the ACTUAL trial.

countyman
20584
countyman 08/09/13 - 02:21 am
Shopping

#5. The Augusta mall is the #1 shopping destination, and not the Augusta Exchange. The Mullins Crossing shopping center in Evans would need for Mullins Crossing 2 to become reality if the center ever wants to compete against the AM/AE. I think the Village at Riverwatch is the main competition for the Augusta mall. Wheeler Town park in West Augusta/Martinez will probably end up competing against the Augusta Exchange.

The developers are going to follow the money, and the available land. The Summerville & Forest Hills neighborhoods do have the income, but not enough land. The majority of shopping is located in West Augusta, and to an lesser extent Aiken/Evans. All three Target locations are located in either West Augusta, Evans, and Aiken.

I truly believe the next Target will be located off I-520 in South Augusta. The other possibility is the store could open in Southwest Augusta on Jimmie Dyess. I would have included North Augusta into the discussion, but the next shopping center in the city includes the new Walmart at exit 5. Walmart and Target don't build next to each other.

How often would somebody living in South Augusta need to shop at the Aldi, Academy Sports, or Marshall's in Columbia County? I guess you can add the future Bass Pro to the list which is coming to Martinez.

countyman
20584
countyman 08/09/13 - 02:54 am
Shopping

The leaders in Columbia County should try attracting professional offices next to Mullings Crossing. The vacant tract located next door would then begin to attract new retail businesses. The Mullins Crossing center should become the Columbia County version of the Augusta Exchange. I don't mean necessarily the same size, but MC can definitely become much bigger. Home Goods might open at the VAR, but this is the type of stores Mullins Crossing should go after.

The Augusta Exchange continues to boom, and will become the first edge city. The city must hurry up and build the urban park on Wheeler rd near I-20. I would love to see new development surrounding the park.

Two new office buildings are coming to the Augusta Exchange. The Exchange Lane is the new road next to the Home2Suites, and the office building is apart of the Savannah River bank subdivision. The medical office building is on Interstate Pkwy behind Doctors hospital, and multiple office buildings have opened off Intsrstate Pkwy/ Perimeter Pkwy/Wainbrook Drive near the hospital.

Little Lamb/Riverman.... Augusta is the third largest city in the state, and Richmond County is the second largest county outside of metro Atlanta. From now on I'll make sure to be very specific, because the same people dissect every single word.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/09/13 - 05:20 am
It's okay, Countyman. We

It's okay, Countyman. We understand. But trying to tell Columbia County how to grow more is pretty funny. It's one of the fastest growing counties in the NATION.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/13 - 07:06 am
Growing fast

ctyman I really don't think you have to tell Columbia county anything....they are growing with leaps......& looking good.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/13 - 07:08 am
question..

How often would somebody living in South Augusta need to shop at the Aldi

answer...every week..it is a great grocery store & cheaper prices.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/13 - 07:10 am
HOODIES ARE unwelcome in your neighborhood?

Sorry...I just don't see many in this neighborhood.....why would I...it is hot & they are not needed in 90 degree weather.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/13 - 07:12 am
Taxes going up in Richmond county

Now...why are you surprised....free lunches are not really free & never have been.....just sounds good when selling the goods.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/09/13 - 07:17 am
Aldi shopping

A group us on the Side South had multiple communications with ALDI's
over 3 years ago. We were trying to get them to open a store in the US25 & BJ area. They chose the other end of I-520 for certain reasons.

But my family still shops there 1 once a month and we are always asking about when we'll see the South Side store opening.

BTW: West BJ is still closer than Whiskey Rd area in Aiken SC.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/09/13 - 07:23 am
Maybe I am seeing wrong

But the Bus driver in the video was also an Black American?

If the driver is scared of these animals what does than say?

Ah! but I now see we just happened to have a local black teen accusing the RCSO of abuse, just as the video is being made public.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/13 - 07:24 am
Not much on the news...wonder why

The 13-year-old white student suffered two black eyes and a broken hand after being beaten and stomped 23 times by three 15-year-old black students.

The driver was black....he called for help he said & that was all he could do...tough video to watch.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/09/13 - 07:33 am
Augusta Exchange Police issue????

Was a problem in the area around 2pm, or did Augusta Exchange decide to pay for extra services?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/09/13 - 07:54 am
Accuracy

Countyman posted:

From now on I'll make sure to be very specific. . . .

That's some good advice you gave yourself there.

corgimom
corgimom 08/09/13 - 08:13 am
LL, you make me laugh!

LL, you make me laugh!

corgimom
corgimom 08/09/13 - 08:16 am
I wouldn't try to break up a

I wouldn't try to break up a fight with 4 teenagers, either.

I'd call the police, just like he did.

This isn't the bus driver's fault, every single bus needs an adult to supervise while in operation.

They put these emotionally disturbed and severely mentally ill kids on these buses, without adult supervision, and then think nothing bad will happen.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/13 - 08:42 am
Why is this..

It seems to me that blacks feel they are the only folks who are stopped by security in dept stores.....I have been stopped & even touched by sales people....they thought I had stuffed something on my person....this happens to whites too & lots more than some think....since I didn't have anything on me I kinda forgot about it til I see others so up in the air when it happens...

BELIEVE ME PLEASE......color doesn't matter...we all are suspects at times....they are overly agitated by so much shop lifting imho.

bdouglas
bdouglas 08/09/13 - 08:49 am
Anybody see how Countyman

Anybody see how Countyman posted 8 paragraphs worth of his propaganda without ever answering Nocnoc's question OR even addressing the ranter he referenced in his paragraphs? The ranter was talking about TARGET. Commenting on having to drive to Columbia County or Wheeler Road to shop was *clearly* referencing Target. Yet we get a diatribe about Augusta Mall being the #1 shopping destination and a long list of other irrelevant information (as usual).

CM should be a politician...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/13 - 08:55 am
CM should be a politician...

Hahah maybe he is..:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/09/13 - 09:28 am
Deflection

Yes, bdouglas, deflection of the question at hand is countyman's signature technique. Change the subject, wave the hands, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/09/13 - 09:50 am
"... bus driver in the video was also an Black American?"

Yup. Mea culpa.

I read about this about a week ago from a friend in Florida and had no wish to watch the video I posted yesterday. (Why would anyone?)

Seeing today's posting ruined my breakfast, first as the three --one with pants down-- hit, kicked and then stomped on the one and the others on the bus watched or recorded like an MMA event, then as Porky the Policeman looked into the camera and declared with saintly sincerity there was no racial component to this incident.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/09/13 - 09:51 am
Love Aldi's

... whenever I was in Columbia, I would make a stop there.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/09/13 - 09:54 am
Aldi's

You've got to pick and choose your time to shop. Don't go on Saturday morning; it's chaos in there, and you will stand in line for a long time.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/13 - 10:07 am
company coming

AND that means cleaning up this place...sooo gotta go for now.....don't wanta but gotta!