Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

WHAT A RIPOFF of taxpayers! Why did Alvin Mason, Corey Johnson, Bill Lockett, Bill Fennoy and Marion Williams have to attend the four-day National Association of Counties conference in Forth Worth, Texas? Surely one commissioner would be sufficient to gather any information that could benefit Augusta. We need to transfer any remaining money for conferences to the police budget, where it can be put to good use to protect us downtown. Commissioners, stop wasting our money.

THE POPE SAYS HE must not judge homosexuals. Fine, but nowhere does the Bible teach to encourage, aid or abet sinners in their sinning.

A REPORT WAS MADE at Rollins Middle School about gang activity to the principal. It went unnoticed my kids were initiated unwillingly into this so-called gang, afraid to say no.

TO THE IDIOT WHO ran the four red lights at Windsor Spring and Richmond Hill roads. If I had not realized that you had no intention of stopping, you would have hit me. Did you not see the four red lights and the cars on each side of you stopped, or were you too busy on the phone? This is the very reason I always make sure that cars are going to stop before I pull out. We need the sheriff’s office to crack down on this intersection or install cameras to ticket the ones who run the lights.

THE UNION-ORGANIZED protests in New York and other places in the country regarding bumping the minimum wage to $15 are bound to go nowhere. I don’t see with the slim profit margins how McDonald’s, Burger King, etc., could survive under that minimum wage.

ANOTHER BIG RANT to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, for padding their pockets at the expense of those foolish enough to listen to their empty, divisive and hate-filled rhetoric. I have looked for a term that would accurately describe these bottom feeders, and a recent Chronicle editorial nailed it, calling them “race hustlers.” I understand that many citizens follow them, but only because of the scarcity of positive role models. These men had an opportunity to help mend America’s race relations. Instead, they chose to fill their pockets and look out for themselves, at the expense of all who want a better country.

A RANT TO THE Richmond County Corrections Department. A man and wife work in the same facility. Their son was hired and is now being supported on workers’ comp. Anyone else find this odd?

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/07/13 - 05:06 pm
I plan to win tonight

Should I buy Downtown or just the Augusta National?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/07/13 - 09:39 pm

Wow, that's a nifty avatar, nocnoc!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/07/13 - 09:46 pm
Ranter #3

Don't expect the school to do anything. After all, they've got several hundred students to deal with, and your precious child is nothing but a peg in a hole. Take matters into your own hands regarding this gang!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/08/13 - 06:33 am
Minimum Wage

Some weeks I just wish I wasn't exempt from minimum wage as it is now.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/08/13 - 06:35 am
Revs Al and Jesse

have done more to damage races relations in the past 2 decades than any one else on earth. The along cam the Emperor.

Riverman1
82060
Riverman1 08/08/13 - 06:56 am
Increasing Minimum Wage

The poor misguided souls protesting their minimum wage jobs are making a mistake. When you greatly increase the minimum wage fast food places and retail stores close. There is no other way. Investors take their money out. Franchise owners can’t stay open if they are not making money. Customers don’t come if prices are higher. Low wages equal a job. Forced higher wages mean no job.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/08/13 - 07:00 am
Good Morning "? 4" America

One Red Light yes, but can you explain how you saw someone running "4" red lights when he/she was going in the opposite direction as you were and seeing cars stopped at each????

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/08/13 - 07:06 am
@3

I thought I was the only one that has trouble putting on paper what is one my mind...That one sure is a little confusing.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/08/13 - 07:22 am
LL - Thanks for the comment

I got tired of the stick figure pouring gas over its head.

I also noticed that some are changing their icon's and quickly reduced the thumbing down by a certain person, that must just look for the Icons to vote.

I am sure he/she will catch up shortly.

BTW: The thumb down is OK with me, because while the person is Trolling to thumb down people, the person ain't commenting as much either. ☺

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/08/13 - 07:24 am
I'm gonna miss Leno.

Alone in the late night hosts, even before it became allowed to notice The Obamessiah had no clothes, he at least was not part of the chorus of praise. I saw his show last night and then his replacement's show, presumably written by the DNC.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/08/13 - 07:26 am
I just wish I knew

... where to send the get well card when ANY post of mine does not draw out my TSD.

Riverman1
82060
Riverman1 08/08/13 - 07:34 am
Same Sex Marriage Benefits

I see where the administration is going to have the military give benefits to same sex marriage partners. I guess newspapers will have some interesting photos of soldiers coming home and being welcomed by their spouses. I wonder if military hospitals will have to open whole new departments instead of just having Ob-Gyn services. Ha, don't even think about THAT.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/08/13 - 07:38 am
Just for fun

Just saw an ad for a cell phone charger. The ad showed a pretty young lady with her shirt open all the way showing her bra. I don't get offended by this stuff but why? Oh yeah, it makes guys like me look at the ad.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/08/13 - 07:40 am
On the "Religion of Peace" front

... two British women who were in Zanzibar had acid thrown on them by person or persons unknown. The women were volunteers teaching at local girl's schools in a country 95% Muslim. Authorities and the media cannot find a motive for the attack.

Really?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/08/13 - 07:41 am
I Is Ain't

changing my avatar.......I would loose too many points!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 07:48 am
Gangs at Rollins Middle School

I would be in the office asap.....they would have to listen to me....or you could always write a rant & put it on AC...yes you could!! :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 07:50 am
Acid thrown on them

We are getting so lax right here nothing surprises me anymore....we could read that happening right here.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 07:54 am
3 BIG winners

At least they had 3 winners to share the Powerball money...not just one lone winner......2 in New Jersey.....NONE in Ga. :(

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/08/13 - 07:58 am
RoadkiII - maybe

there is a contact charger for cell phones that allows breasts and bra to recharge cell phones.☺

I am only guessing here, but the size of the charger would indicate the speed the battery is recharged.☺

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 08:31 am
ok corgi--help me with this..

When you say this on another article..
"I know that it's popular right now to demonize people on welfare. I never met one person that liked living on welfare. It is awful. Nobody wants to raise their kids in those complexes, they are terrible, dangerous places. The misery there is palpable. They are depressing places to live. "

All right I can agree with some of what you said.....now help me understand what can be done about this....we have given help in welfare for YEARS...some never get off the roll....we have free education-meals but some don't use it .....we can't beat some over the head & make them study or go to school........so I'm serious about this....WHAT else can we do that will work??

corgimom
corgimom 08/08/13 - 08:47 am
Seenit, there just aren't

Seenit, there just aren't enough jobs to go around. And there hasn't been for years. It started in the 70's and has just mushroomed.

It used to be that even if you didn't have a lot of education or a lot of skills, you could still get work. You could work as a domestic, a car mechanic, a factory worker. You wouldn't make much, but you'd work.

All that is gone. Between jobs leaving for overseas and the explosion of computers, the jobs just aren't there. And they aren't going to be there.

Even if everybody in RCBOE graduated from high school, there aren't enough jobs for them. The unemployment rate is 9% in Augusta, and that's just the ones that are collecting unemployment. The actual rate is much higher.

In the mean time, the Commissioners are far more worried about Riverwalk and the Patch, rather than addressing the very serious social problems that plague Augusta. There is no long-term plan, no vision, no addressing the problems- instead, it's all about the TEE Center and going to conventions.

So it's not going to change. People on here can rail and rant and rave about welfare recipients, but the people that they really need to be addressing are the leaders. And nobody will.

Retail shops and movie theaters aren't going to get people off of welfare. And 140 jobs at Starbucks isn't going to do it, either.

There are a huge class of poor people in Augusta that are being ignored, and have been for years. And now they are all being relocated to South Augusta, to turn that into a ghetto.

It's all just so sad. We all are seeing what 40 years of poor leadership and self-serving interests have done to Augusta, and now it's too late.

allhans
allhans 08/08/13 - 09:02 am
There are jobs if a person

There are jobs if a person looks. Why else all the (legal and illegal)immigrant labor "we so desperately need".
Are parents raising their children to think that farm labor is not good enough....Look around at the Spanish speaking folks on construction crews, picking crops, etc.

JObs..of course there are jobs. I worked for a large fruit packing plant in Florida in the 60"s, we brought migrant labor in or the fruit would have rotted on the vines.Oops.trees, I should have said.

Now, I don't know where those with little education (Their choice) will find jobs that start them at the top.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 09:01 am
I agree with you about jobs lost

This is something that has happened to me MORE than once...I try my best to get American workers to do work here at my house..in gardening-landscaping-home repair-roofing & this is what they say to me.

We want to hire Americans BUT we can't get reliable help....they say they have TRIED many times BUT the Mexican workers will show up & work all day & follow orders...soooo what is the answer....I can vouch about the work the Mexicans do....now when we make millions(mex) citizens ..which will happen in my opinion ...will it get any better...I doubt it...

That is why you read take away the freebies ........because hungry folks will work.....they will take jobs that others don't want.......I'm no expert but I can say I worked like crazy for YEARS because I had to pay my bills & buy groceries...that pattern worked for soo many years...we have more takers than workers now......it can't continue in this direction..imho.

Leadership is lacking in so many places....national & local level.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 09:11 am
Yes I see that happening

They will have a Detroit soon if they continue this.....then they will moan & groan about it.....when some could change the direction RIGHT NOW if they wanted...I would suggest to Sheriff Roundtree to take this on with the commish....the very folks who voted you in office need your attention to this....you have the power to make a difference in the South side...you know this......some things can change for the better with the residents taking charge of their own neighborhoods,...

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/08/13 - 09:11 am
Where is Rollins Middle School?

I know where Rollins Elementary School is but not Middle.

And Roadkill you ain't right this morning! LOL! But I love it!

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/08/13 - 09:14 am
We gonna get ours!

Alvin Mason, Corey Johnson, Bill Lockett, Bill Fennoy and Marion Williams went to the conference because it isn't their money. They also want to have "their" golf course with money that isn't theirs!

dichotomy
31960
dichotomy 08/08/13 - 09:22 am
'WHAT A RIPOFF of taxpayers!

'WHAT A RIPOFF of taxpayers! Why did Alvin Mason, Corey Johnson, Bill Lockett, Bill Fennoy and Marion Williams have to attend the four-day National Association of Counties conference in Forth Worth, Texas?"

Must not have been any skybox tickets in Atlanta available that week. Next best thing.....take a party trip with your buds at the taxpayers' expense.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 09:38 am
Yikes

Gotta go...we can't solve all the problems in one morning!

dichotomy
31960
dichotomy 08/08/13 - 10:04 am
I see this morning that OBAMA

I see this morning that OBAMA intervened to EXEMPT Congress from the Obamacare fiasco. The elite ruling class is too good to suffer under the same health care system and COSTS that they have inflicted on the rest of us.

I wish a fatal pox on them all. It is, in fact, time for a revolution. America....if you take this sitting down you will take anything....and you deserve what you get. We are not being led...we are not being represented.....we are BEING RULED by a dictator and an aristocracy. Sic semper tyrannis.

corgimom
corgimom 08/08/13 - 10:15 am
allhans- If you want to think

allhans- If you want to think that, that there are jobs everywhere, you are welcome to think that.

But someday you will have to wake up to reality.

If you think that millions of jobs can be eliminated by automation, computers, and industries moving overseas, and that there are still jobs left for American workers, you are welcome to think that.

However, results don't lie. When you have call centers and fast food restaurants and retailers as a city's major industries, you are going to have thousands of people on welfare.

And that's just the way it is. You are living in the past, the days of the 60's and 70's are gone forever.

Project hits snag over restroom

The Augusta Regional Collaborative Project hit a roadblock this week when a city inspector declared the Metro Augusta Chamber of Commerce building unfit for occupancy until a first-floor restroom ...