Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVES AND heartfelt thank you to Dr. Barry Strock and his compassionate staff of Veterinary Healthcare Associates of North Augusta for their love and genuine concern for the animals in their care and to the owners. Their patients are treated like family, and my family will be forever grateful.

HOW CAN SHERIFF Richard Roundtree charge downtown property owners extra money for more protection? Is that not extortion, which is illegal?

A BIG RAVE to the Augusta Museum of History for the Dog Days of Summer for August. Let’s get our kids and visitors over there to enjoy all two big stories of the museum from Thursdays through Sundays.

AUGUSTA IS GOING up a notch in style with the new 14-auditorium theater that will serve food in some auditoriums and have a restaurant.

RANT TO RICHMOND County Sheriff’s office. Last night, I observed a female officer that was about 5-foot-2 and must have weighed in at about 225 pounds. It did not make me feel safe. There must not be any physical requirements anymore!

CONTINUE TO SUPPORT our local charities such as Salvation Army, Goodwill, Catholic Social Services, etc., by donating used clothing, etc. Avoid dropping off those items at the new red boxes cropping up all over the place since the owners of these boxes are in the business of selling the dropped-off items for profit, which does not benefit charities.

PEOPLE FLY UP and down the highway in Dearing killing dogs and not stopping. One day they will kill a child. Slow down before you hurt or kill somebody.

I HOPE WHOEVER buys that 1935 Augusta National program will donate it to the Augusta Museum of History so that everyone can enjoy seeing what it’s like. In the meantime, Ms. Leslie, can you please post any pages that cover the caddies? Especially with photos?

HOW IS THE SOUTH side supposed to improve if everything is being put on the west side?

WHY ARE THESE men who live in Harrisburg, on Broad Street, allowed to have a dog? They have trash all over their front yard, and they have no grass, and they sit and get drunk all day, on their front porch. I know that they do not take care of this dog. I have reported it to Animal Control in Augusta, and they have done nothing.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/07/13 - 10:58 am
Three houses in a row on my street have children going to the

same elementary school. Right now while it is exciting they are standing together and visiting but I will wait and see if the bus stops at three houses in a row.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/07/13 - 10:58 am
To those people flicking

To those people flicking their ashes in the road and dropping their still lit cigarettes wherever they stop smoking them: The World is NOT your ASHTRAY! Dispose of them properly!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/07/13 - 11:02 am
I sure will be glad if they

I sure will be glad if they figure out what to do with that guy that has been threatening to shoot children and adults in the neighborhood. He's been reported by several people and parents have made statements that he threatened to shoot their children and adults have reported that he also threatened to shoot them, even showed some of both his gun, I've heard he actually pointed it at one man. How do we find out if he's been arrested yet? And if he hasn't been arrested, why not?

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/07/13 - 11:43 am
dichotomy
dichotomy 08/07/13 - 02:24 pm
"dichotomy You failed to add

"dichotomy You failed to add all of the personal care homes!!"

You got that right sweet son....that and nail & hair extension salons. No sir.....don't have to drive to North Augusta to find a nail salon.

And countyman, I am quite aware they are clearing that sight now. I was referring to the 13 year lag between the time Patty promised future explosive growth when he forcibly rezoned our agricultural property and the fact that is taken 13 years to get a drug store and the promise of a hamburger joint and NOT MUCH ELSE. Certainly nothing that justified the rezoning of 7000 acres of land and increased tax valuations.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/13 - 02:40 pm
Commission Meeting Was MISSED Huge Story

As others noted, there was a huge story missed last night that demonstrates the complete, total, permanent dysfunction of county government. The Andrew MacKenzie debacle will probably end in a huge settlement...once again.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/13 - 02:58 pm
90 to 120 thousand a year???

I want to see proof that patients or whatever you call them at the proposed, South Augusta, rehab facility will be paying $90K to $120K every MONTH. This is what they said at the commission meeting. Is it the truth or did they lie? If they lie, I'll look at EVERYTHING they say cautiously. Austin jumped into supporting this proposed facility very early and I have to ask why? He usually has an ulterior motive.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/13 - 03:14 pm
Boardman's Friend and Rehab

Let's see, Boardman has a CLOSE friend with political implications. He gets the idea for this facility. Prove "they" will pay 100K a MONTH. Or is that total BS? Jenny?

corgimom
corgimom 08/07/13 - 07:52 pm
I'm just wondering why on

I'm just wondering why on Earth anyone would pay $120,000 per month at a rehab facility in Augusta GA. Something doesn't seem right about this.

It's not like Augusta GA is known for state-of-the-art care like Hazelden, or anything. This is what Hazelden charges:

"How much does drug and alcohol treatment cost?

It depends on the type of addiction treatment and services you need. We offer a range of services from the less expensive outpatient rehab (which is for people with less serious addiction issues) to residential treatment where people live with us for 4 to 6 weeks or longer to get the help they need. The typical cost for outpatient addiction treatment is $10,000 and residential alcohol and drug rehab ranges between $20,000 to $32,000 depending on the level of services needed. Additional services such as counseling for other issues, prescriptions, etc. are charged separately when needed. Much of this addiction treatment cost can be covered by insurance or with some financial assistance provided by Hazelden to those who qualify. "

I think that there's something just off about this whole story. It sounds like the facility is more like a mental hospital than a rehab.

corgimom
corgimom 08/07/13 - 07:54 pm
Although I have to tell you,

Although I have to tell you, if I was paying that kind of money for rehab, I'd want some place that had more to offer than the Riverwalk, Costco, and PF Changs. And Sephora. And an Apple store, and a movie theatre with a restaurant (which they have in Charlotte, and aren't doing so well).

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.