Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR RICHMOND County police for arresting four gang members. Let’s rid Richmond County of these thugs and make our streets safe. It is obvious in neighborhoods where gang activity is present but the public looks the other way until someone gets murdered. Our young, black youth are in crisis and we are asking all black men to be a hero and to attack this issue head on. Do you know of a black youth that you could help mentor. It will take helping one youth at a time and maybe we can save a life.

LIFE CAN BE difficult but it can be more difficult if one does not have a means of transportation. However, there is hope out there since the Mechanics Ministry at Wesley United Methodist Church donates cars to those in need. They reached a milestone recently by donating their 300th car to a needy person. We are all proud of you for helping those less fortunate than ourselves!

THE POSTAL SERVICE wants to eliminate individual residential mailboxes and have communal mailboxes somewhere near your neighborhood. I am fine with that as long as Augusta provides a bunch of recycle receptacles at each location. The only mail that is delivered to my residence is junk, anyway. Better yet, I could let them pack the mailbox full and they would recycle for me.

ON READING SOME of the Rants from last month, I’m truly in awe and pity some people’s opinions of the killing of a teen Trayvon Martin. Just want to say it’s never someone’s fault to die in innocence but it is a person’s fault to ignore the blatant ignorance and further racism in this country ...

AUGUSTA POLITICIANS spending $37.5 million on to praise themselves? Imagine how many jobs could be created by private business – say hotels and motels – with so many millions.

THE SHERIFF PLANS an extra tax district? Ain’t it amazing? Politicians always find ways to spend, never to save.

RANT TO THE person who dropped off the three puppies on Keysville Road in Hephzibah. I hope one day some one will do the same to you. Just to let you know two of the three were starving and got run over trying to find food. The third one I am trying to catch and have put food out but it is too scared to come to us. Just because we live in the country, we have our own animals to take care of and not yours. If you can’t afford to get them spayed/neutered then Don’t get a pet!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/04/13 - 09:20 pm
"...but it is a person’s fault

...to ignore the blatant ignorance and further racism in this country ..."

Apology accepted.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/04/13 - 09:25 pm
"...It is obvious in neighborhoods

...where gang activity is present but the public looks the other way until someone gets murdered."

When someone gets murdered in those neighborhoods the operative meme is "Don't snitch." But it's okay to complain that the police aren't doing their job, and then point to the number of unsolved killings as proof of discrimination.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/04/13 - 09:30 pm
"THE SHERIFF PLANS

... an extra tax district? Ain’t it amazing?"

No. AMAZING would be actually trying to do the job with what he's got instead of half-fast schemes to raise taxes; charging double for protection that's already paid for.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/04/13 - 09:42 pm
Rant #4

The ranter said:

. . . it is a person’s fault to ignore the blatant ignorance and further racism in this country ...

I try to ignore it, but it is difficult.

countyman
countyman 08/04/13 - 11:40 pm
Laney Walker

The Laney Walker developer is producing many jobs, and increasing the local tax base... I think the additional tax base is now over $4 million...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/05/13 - 05:31 am
Don't yall start fighting over these handicap spots

A man has been killed in a row over a disabled parking space in a supermarket car park, police said.

A 65-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter following the incident at an Asda supermarket car park in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, yesterday.

The victim, from Sandy, was taken to Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, where he died this afternoon, a spokesman for Bedfordshire Police said.

The family of the victim, who was aged 64, were at his bedside when he died.

Detective Chief Inspector Tim Redfearn, who is leading the investigation, said: "The men were waiting in the disabled parking area at the time and got into a disagreement about parking.

"We know they became involved in a disagreement which resulted in one man punching the other knocking him to the ground.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/05/13 - 05:33 am
This is a fantastic idea!!

the Mechanics Ministry at Wesley United Methodist Church donates cars to those in need. They reached a milestone recently by donating their 300th car to a needy person....

Some just talk & some do good works!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/05/13 - 05:35 am
This is sad....

RANT TO THE person who dropped off the three puppies on Keysville Road in Hephzibah. I hope one day some one will do the same to you

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/05/13 - 05:37 am
This rant

THE POSTAL SERVICE wants to eliminate individual residential mailboxes and have communal mailboxes somewhere near your neighborhood..

This won't work in many areas...just go to a 4day service week.

fatherinevans
fatherinevans 08/05/13 - 05:47 am
Life can be...

They have put 300 cars on the road to people that cant afford to buy one... Who affords the insurance on these vehicles or are they putting cars on the road uninsured?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/05/13 - 06:18 am
Countyman thinks because a

Countyman thinks because a tax comes from the motels the money does not belong to the people. ALL taxes belong to the people.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/05/13 - 06:29 am
Understating Things

So we had this discussion going on about Vietnam yesterday and this liberal says because he was in the Air Force a few years that he knew what he was talking about and we didn't. I said, "Yeah, I wish I could have served in the military, too, but I didn't measure up."

Others openly told him of their experiences in the military and Vietnam. The truth is I was in the military so dang long, I thought I'd never get out. Name a desert or jungle on earth and I've probably been there. I mean I can still get called back in if they can find me. Anyway I had fun learning about his military service.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/05/13 - 06:34 am
SeenIt, you and that support

SeenIt, you and that support of the Post Office. That guy driving around in that little truck filling up mailboxes with junk mail is something from 1959. We need to beam letters up to the moon or something and bounce them down to chips we have implanted in our scalps. I mean I can't even read words off paper any more. It has to be some kind of electronic gadget.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/05/13 - 06:43 am
Not Sure if its a RAVE , a Rant or predictable Problem for abuse

So far Augusta has made news as the Home Nest of NSA Cyber monitoring and or Cyber Spy training and Cyber field-able divisions.

NOW WE DO IT AGAIN

License plate readers make an impact in Georgia
Posted: Aug 04, 2013 9:31 AM EST Updated: Aug 04, 2013 9:39 AM EST

Augusta Chronicle , http://www.augustachronicle.com
AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) - Richmond County Sheriff's officials say they're considering adding license plate readers to their patrol fleet.

Deputy Terry Skinner tells the Augusta Chronicle the automated license plate readers have made an impact in the department during a testing phase.

Skinner says the readers can scan 1,000 cars in 10 minutes and send an alert to the officer driving the car if the license plate is linked to criminal activity...

================

Yes I want my law Enforcement to have the best tools available. But at the same time I still want a reasonable degree of privacy in my day to day life.

So I have to ask, will this data be kept beyond the initial scan ANYWHERE or provided and/or Sold to ANY local state or Federal agencies or commercial companies, like Google that sells it to the FEDs? Will this scan data become part of a large database that will store and correlate it for spying, commercial marketing reasons and/or privacy abuses?

Also since many stolen vehicles will run "Paper tags" this will have limited functionality for that use.

IF, it is able to cross link and pull up criminal records it would be of the of the OWNER, not necessarily the driver. Imagine an Owner listed as Armed and dangerous and a innocent driver and passengers that may end up getting stopped for OWNER issues that have nothing to do with them.

Since GA. has an open records law will this info be available on request to Anyone.

Also as a heads up.
We all have heard of Wallet/Purse scanners that read the contains and magnetic strip on our credit cards. Well that is now being tested for possible use as a "anti-terrorist / Law Enforcement" street level device.
Allowing a police officer to do ID checks just walking by you at less than 3 feet.

Lets recap where we are today and what Big Brothers IS doing:

Listen and record our phone calls,
Track, Read and store our Emails,
Track and record what we view on the Internet down to what news articles we read.
Track and store our purchases,
Track our item ownership,
Who groups we belong to,
Who we donate $$$ to,
Who we support in Political campaigns,
What we drive,
How much energy we use,
What medical treatments we have,
and this is the short list.

An for those that reply with the old "IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE." counter argument.

Please tell me; Whats in your wallet?
BTW: I have a list of info I want from you.
Its OK, it is nothing more than the same stuff the Government collect now.

But lets publish here for everyone to look over.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/05/13 - 06:41 am
RM...some things don't need to go away

Excuse me sir...BUT not everything should go to cyber world....you mark my words but one day we will have a grid collapse & will need the good ole fashion way of doing things...

I still get my paper in the am & like today I will take it with me to the Drs office....read while I wait.....I miss some of the ole ways.....Lordy...they will take me dragging into the new world. haha

gotta go & find out if my blood pressure has settled down some.. seeyall

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/05/13 - 07:12 am
Invasion of Privacy

Yeah, it’s the subtle ways your privacy is invaded. A couple of years ago Columbia County was thinking of getting the stoplight cameras. One of the spokesmen gratuitously added that they could also use them to track if someone had been that way at a certain time. Then they could compare the data with other light cameras to find out where he had gone. Huh? That means they store the data and are able to track anyone. I see all kinds of implications here. Other government agencies using the tracking data and courts demanding the data for all types of things. Plus what would happen if our federal government continues to go socialist? Do you want them knowing your whereabouts?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 08/05/13 - 07:15 am
Laney Walker

Tax or blackmail? Still comes from the peoples pockets....

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/05/13 - 07:17 am
River

"How did you enjoy your eggs this morning. Might want to go easy on the bacon with the fat and all." Your friendly NSA advisor.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/05/13 - 07:26 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/05/13 - 07:31 am
countyman

"#5.... The $37.5 million is coming from the hotel tax, and it doesn't involve local politicians spending taxpayer money."

Answer me this countyman......Who controls the spending of "hotel tax money?"

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/05/13 - 07:33 am
CG - and we are almost there now

your
link, really lays it out, just how much track-able info is available now.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/05/13 - 07:34 am
NSA you missed something.

Riverman had a 2nd cup of Coffee.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/05/13 - 07:37 am
JTF, don't make me even more

JTF and NocNoc, don't make me even more paranoid that I am. I mean I wear a towel when I take a shower just in case.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/05/13 - 07:36 am
nocnoc

Yeah, I was focused on his shirt selection. With those pants? Really?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/05/13 - 07:41 am
Due To Invasion Of Privacy

another way to get your money...selling a way to protect yourself.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/05/13 - 07:54 am
"What Me Worry"

Hell No, I have the King SMNCICBHO(M), the Hammer & Sickle man protecting me.......Right!

Fort Gordon or NSA......did you copy that? I know you are monitoring me.

allhans
allhans 08/05/13 - 07:55 am
My street has curb-side

My street has curb-side mailboxes but one elderly neighbor lady has had her mail delivered to the door for several years. That service could still be provided..

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/05/13 - 08:01 am
Inverse Relationship With Clothes

JTF, about clothes. Where I work you can tell the status of the workers by how well they dress. But it's an inverse thing. Those dressed up wearing ties and so on are lower or midlevel admin types. I mean there is even one janitor who changes each day into a suit when he leaves work. On the other hand if you get on the elevator with some guys in shorts and T-shirts you'll know you are among the elite. If you wonder about me, I don't wear clothes at work...really...sort of.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/05/13 - 08:01 am
Off Topic, But Proud.

Tori "Top Gun" Nanaka, the grandgirl of a very close friend, still keeps her Championship title this weekend.

Who said you can't make legal money shooting a pistol. Started at 3 and isn't even 18 yet. A few millions in a bank account, thanks to Glock and a few other sponsors.

It will be a pleasure to meet her soon at Cobalt Park.

Google Tori Nanaka. One beautiful lady.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/05/13 - 08:09 am
Of all the activities

... overseen by the Federal government, the Post Office is the target on your ire? Really?

The USPS would not be in dire financial straits except for a totally unprecedented and unreasonable pension requirement laid --rather, dumped like a load of boulders-- on it by a Congress being quietly well funded by commercial competiton. I wish they would find other activities to pre-fund in a like manner, instead of like a Ponzi pyramid, starting with Obamacare.

It's acually one of the few bargains still openly available, and as I do a lot of foreign correspondence, I know this to be true.

Turkeys get taste of own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.