Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I LOVED RICK MCKEE’S cartoon about the arrival of England’s newest welfare baby! His mother’s hairdresser arrived at the hospital within hours of the birth. You know where her priorities are! When my children were born my wife certainly didn’t worry about her hair! ROYAL? Shallow shallow.

RE: 13 YEAR-OLD accused of molestation being charged as an adult, it is perhaps worth noting that he was competing in the Special Olympics in 2011, a not inconsequential piece of information when deciding whether or not to charge him as an adult. It’s quite possible he cannot reasonably be charged even as a teenager.

I AM DISTRESSED that the administration of Tobacco Road school had an employee with a life threatening illness and never tried to contact the employee. When I asked about the teacher, I was told no one knew and was summarily cut off. I am worried that educators whose job it is to show empathy cannot show the same empathy to a long-term employee.

THE ZIMMERMAN CRIME on Trayvon needs to be corrected by the incarceration of Zimmerman. Who else can get away with ignoring a police warning, all training as a true neighborhood watch person, stalking a teenager, and then claim shooting an unarmed person was in self-defense? Who else could get away with no police investigation for a month and a half just on his say-so after killing someone? No one of color, that’s for sure.

WHAT A LOT of folks refused to see was that Paula Deen first denied completely doing any of the things she did later confess to and apologize for. That’s the part that rankles so many people and companies, to lie about things first. What she should have done after a true apology was volunteer to attend sensitivity education classes, make a big donation towards an educational cause, apologize to the various employees she insulted, demeaned and angered and settle with them out of court.

THE TRAYVON MARTIN marches and discussions bring to mind we did not seem to yet end those inspirational dialogues about the 1970 riots. Where are those ASU professors and can they please tell us what the results of all those dialogues are?

IF THE POST OFFICE puts up a bunch of boxes in a neighborhood, and you have to go get your mail, how is a disabled person supposed to get their mail? They need to do something besides that.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 09:02 am
Such gentlemen on here

Thank you for that!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 09:03 am
JTF

What do you think about the stadium talks...the paper says they are millions apart with the church deal....may not ever get the south side ....

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/04/13 - 09:04 am
River

"never probed". Are you complaining?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 09:06 am
"never probed". Are you complaining?

OOoh funny guy....don't stir my baddd side up this am...doesn't take much.:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 09:09 am
country love song

It wouldn't surprise me if someone made a song out of that....I was probed without my consent.....I didn't tell so there is my 2 cents!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/04/13 - 09:10 am
JTF, hahaha. We are going to

JTF, hahaha.

We are going to probe the UGA defense in a couple of weeks with our offense that's faster than a speeding bullet.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/04/13 - 09:31 am
Seenit

They will build it in the more northern location. I don't think it is needed, but Blank wants it and his lacky mayor will deliver.
River, bring it on. Don't forget our beer bet.

allhans
allhans 08/04/13 - 09:35 am
It would take a real sicko to

It would take a real sicko to stoop to "finger probing" under the conditions mentioned.

Darby
Darby 08/04/13 - 09:42 am
"An un-honored hero."

CG - Thumbs up! We are singing from the same sheet of music.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/04/13 - 09:49 am
Joe Biden

Speaking as a Republican, I hope Joe Biden gets the Democratic nomination. I have never gotten over his bizarre behavior during the VP debates. As many debates as the presidential candidates have and the intense media scrutiny he would be under would turn the voters against him with his spastic behavior.

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/04/13 - 10:13 am
Zimmerman, Trayvon et., al., KEEP THE RACIST COMMENTS

coming!!!!!! Show exactly how ignorant MOST of you are around here.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 10:25 am
Letter by G Abrams

Please read his letter....Let's face the real issues.....the very best letter & right on target...thanks Mr Abrams.

myfather15
myfather15 08/04/13 - 10:49 am
CG

Well, you've probably heard me say before that I don't like making specific comments about police behavior, when I wasn't present to see what ACTUALLY happened. In 16 years, I've learned ANYTHING can happen.

But on the surface, with only the information we have; WOW!! I agree with what most have said, that they shouldn't have needed to tase or shoot bean bags at a 95 year old man. HOWEVER, if there was a large knife present, then it was justified. Sorry folks, but I've got a wife and four kids to go home too. Just one swipe with a knife hitting an artery and my kids could be fatherless!! ANY human can kill you with a knife.

I worked an accidental death once, where a man was out in a field on a tractor, we believe he got off to cut something and fell on his knife. It stuck in his upper arm area; he bled to death before he could walk out of the field. He was found lying in the field in a puddle of blood. It only takes that knife sticking the wrong area and basically, if there was a doctor on scene when it happened, it wouldn't help!!

But CG, on the surface it makes me sick to my stomach; and its a very sad situation!! I just don't know what actually happened.

Now, about the cavity searches; it just doesn't seem right. I've called females to my location to search other females as well, but I've NEVER known or heard of one placing their fingers into the vagina. What's next, surgery to open their stomachs, to see if they swallowed any dope?

In my opinion and JUST my opinion; any amount of dope they could hide in their vagina is NOT worth the trouble; including violating rights, lawsuits, personal invasion, investigations into misconduct, possible criminal charges of sexual assault, etc.

Now, a female can actually hide a large amount of cocaine in her cavity. Possibly several ounces, and ONE ounce of cocaine is trafficking. Yes, that is a big charge, which will result in prison; but is it really worth it? While they are doing the cavity search, there has probably been 10 cars pass them, with more dope in the car than the females might have.

The BOTTOM LINE is, we can't find every person with drugs!! We can't lock up everyone that is committing a crime. Some people are going to get away!! Even people we've stopped and search, might have hidden compartments in the vehicle, that we don't find!! It's LIFE people, bad guys sometimes get away!

I promise you, those girls weren't hiding a dead body in their cavity!! So was it really worth it to possibly find a "Dime bag" of weed?? Really? It was worth violating someone that bad, just to make a misdemeanor marijuana charge? Are you kidding me?

Well, it isn't to me!! I also don't believe these officer's used good "officer discretion".

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/04/13 - 12:10 pm
If I'm forced to bend over

If I'm forced to bend over for a cavity search I would demand the process be recorded, including the reason for probable cause documented. I would give taped notice that a 18U.S.C. §2703
Backup Preservation Subpoena, will be forthcoming and they are required to preserve the video, digital and audio records of the event.

Then I'd find the best high profile gutter diver
that wanted some more media airtime to handle the case.

Not for $$$$, but to see a charge of felony aggregated assault is brought to a Federal or State Grand Jury.

There are, and MUST continue be legal justifiable limits to such invasive actions.

myfather15
myfather15 08/04/13 - 12:30 pm
Nocnoc

I absolutely agree!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/04/13 - 01:32 pm
myfather

I sort agree with you on some of your points..but unless the knife was a Samurai Sword, do you really believe you couldn't subdue a 95 year old man with a knife who's reaction time, body strength and movement capability was something that almost no longer existed? As far as it was reported, there were other officers present.

Like you said, I wasn't there and don't know all the facts but still smells like some poor police actions.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 01:48 pm
nocnoc

I hope you don't mind my saying this....but THAT video is one I will skip....there are some things better left unseen..:):)

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/04/13 - 02:15 pm
Just refuse the vehicle search and the body search!

You will probably get a free ride to jail and a tow bill for your car but just say NO if you are a female who doesn't want to risk the possibility of the "cavity search" in the street.

The other thing about the cavity search is that if the officers want to they will go ahead and do it anyway when you arrive at the jail to look for the alleged illegal stuff.

If there was probable cause to make a traffic stop in the beginning then the officer can take you to jail at anytime and have his searches continued at the jail.

Before the free ride to the jail you will get patted down for weapons when placed in a patrol car but it shouldn't graduate to a cavity search.

Also when they tow your car they will search it under the pretense of securing your valuables but will be able to use anything found that is illegal in court.

I guess you just have to decide what you want to do.

And don't get me wrong I don't agree with any police officer female or not sticking their finger in my private areas! You know I am a guy so I would mean this non probing for my wife or any female!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/04/13 - 03:48 pm
The sad thing is any woman attending "Take back the Night"

... is risking sexual assault as long as the police are there.

Just when will what used to be a free and moral people begin to fight back?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/04/13 - 03:50 pm
From wikipedia, but as I remember it:

"...Sexual assault is ANY involuntary sexual act in which a person is threatened, coerced, or forced to engage against their will, or any sexual touching of a person who has not consented. This includes rape (such as forced vaginal, anal or oral penetration)..."

Of course, cops will be cops.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 04:07 pm
Gwinnett schools/feeding a lot of students!

This school year 127 school cafeterias will offer breakfast daily, and 128 school cafeterias will serve lunch daily. Last school year GCPS served 21,178,474 student lunches and 10,881,345 student breakfasts.

School Meal Prices:
•Student lunch (elementary) $2.25
•Student breakfast $1.50
•Student lunch (middle and high) $2.50
•Student breakfast (reduced) $0.30
•Student lunch (reduced) $0.40
•Adult breakfast $1.75
•Adult lunch $3
Popular items served last school year:
•Assorted Pizzas with Whole Grain Crust --30,600,000 servings
•Low Fat Strawberry Yogurt --1,920,000 servings
•Apple Slices --1,818,300 servings
•All Beef Hot Dogs --1,600,000 servings
•Raw Carrot Sticks --887,832 servings
•Bottled Spring Water --480,000
•Romaine Salad Mix --354,380 pounds
•Whole Strawberries --109,136 pounds
•Fresh Broccoli --33,096 pounds
Source: Gwinnett County Public Schools

myfather15
myfather15 08/04/13 - 05:44 pm
dstewartsr

Referencing sexual assault, then saying "Cops will be cops"?? You can take that opinion and stick it straight up ----------.

myfather15
myfather15 08/04/13 - 05:57 pm
Sweet son did a good job on advice!!

If you don't want to be search, ESPECIALLY Cavity search; politely tell the officer:

"I'm not consenting to a search of my person underneath my clothing and my genital area. I want you to know I'm not going to resist you in any other way, but I'm not allowing a cavity search. If this mean you're going to arrest me for obstructing or hindering your job, then do so; I won't give you any problems when you're doing that. But I refuse to allow you or anyone else to penetrate my privates."

This is a good way to respond!! What other way is there? I hear people saying "fight back" and other things. So, you're going to fight if YOU are the only one there, and there are three armed police? No, you're going to LOSE, and THEN go to jail with an additional charge, probably felony!!! The best way to do it is be stern that you will not allow a cavity search, but cooperate, meaning don't resist arrest. Then, get a VERY good attorney and OWN THEM!! I promise you, you will hurt them worse, getting into their pockets AND possible criminal charges on THEM, rather than fighting them at the scene, losing the fight and still going to jail.

Look at it like this, imagine your a jury person on a class action suit and you view a video of me about to get a cavity search. I'm cursing, using profanity, telling the police to go "f-off" and they aren't going to touch me. Saying "If you touch me I'm going to fight like crazy." Just ranting a raving like a lunatic. How would that look to you as a jury person?

Now, what if every word out of my mouth is followed by Sir or maam? I'm STILL REFUSING THE SEARCH, but I'm being very polite and using respectful terms towards the officers. I haven't shown a single sign of physical resistance and even when they arrest me, I go along peacefully.

Now, how would that look as a jury person? If I'm the jury person, the polite, respectful person is about to be VERY VERY RICH!!!

Now, that's just my opinion.

myfather15
myfather15 08/04/13 - 06:03 pm
It's IDIOTS in this world

It's IDIOTS in this world that can't seem to use common sense and separate PEOPLE!!!!

I'm a COP!! I've been one for 16 years!!! I've NEVER, I repeat NEVER stuck my finger in ANYONES genital area and I've NEVER asked a female cop to do so!! Matter of fact, I've NEVER seen any police officer EVER do a full cavity search, not even in the jail when they strip search them.

How about this saying, which I like MUCH better "PEOPLE WILL BE PEOPLE!!!"

I bet you on average; the average cop is a more decent human being that the average citizen!!! Yes, I'm a little upset about this!!

KSL
KSL 08/04/13 - 09:34 pm
Push back

Could it be ill conceived reactions on the part of frustrated law enforcement officers regarding illegal immigration? Directed in an inappropriate direction? I cannot imagine the frustration of arresting illegals, only to find they are not going to ultimately be deported. Seems to be literaly widespead, literally.

KSL
KSL 08/04/13 - 09:52 pm
Do not get me wrong. I am

Do not get me wrong. I am sick and tired of paying for welfare people who won't help themselves, illegals and their childen, who are born here who come here to help themselves and anchor to their children.

KSL
KSL 08/05/13 - 04:42 am
Great advice, myfather

Thank you. (Written at 9:30, but I didn't punch save).

Nunn gains in Senate race, poll says

ATLANTA -- The closer the election gets, the harder it is to tell who is going to win, according to a poll released today showing the races for governor and the Senate effectively tied.