Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I LOVED RICK MCKEE’S cartoon about the arrival of England’s newest welfare baby! His mother’s hairdresser arrived at the hospital within hours of the birth. You know where her priorities are! When my children were born my wife certainly didn’t worry about her hair! ROYAL? Shallow shallow.

RE: 13 YEAR-OLD accused of molestation being charged as an adult, it is perhaps worth noting that he was competing in the Special Olympics in 2011, a not inconsequential piece of information when deciding whether or not to charge him as an adult. It’s quite possible he cannot reasonably be charged even as a teenager.

I AM DISTRESSED that the administration of Tobacco Road school had an employee with a life threatening illness and never tried to contact the employee. When I asked about the teacher, I was told no one knew and was summarily cut off. I am worried that educators whose job it is to show empathy cannot show the same empathy to a long-term employee.

THE ZIMMERMAN CRIME on Trayvon needs to be corrected by the incarceration of Zimmerman. Who else can get away with ignoring a police warning, all training as a true neighborhood watch person, stalking a teenager, and then claim shooting an unarmed person was in self-defense? Who else could get away with no police investigation for a month and a half just on his say-so after killing someone? No one of color, that’s for sure.

WHAT A LOT of folks refused to see was that Paula Deen first denied completely doing any of the things she did later confess to and apologize for. That’s the part that rankles so many people and companies, to lie about things first. What she should have done after a true apology was volunteer to attend sensitivity education classes, make a big donation towards an educational cause, apologize to the various employees she insulted, demeaned and angered and settle with them out of court.

THE TRAYVON MARTIN marches and discussions bring to mind we did not seem to yet end those inspirational dialogues about the 1970 riots. Where are those ASU professors and can they please tell us what the results of all those dialogues are?

IF THE POST OFFICE puts up a bunch of boxes in a neighborhood, and you have to go get your mail, how is a disabled person supposed to get their mail? They need to do something besides that.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/03/13 - 05:46 pm
High FIve to #1

Royalty my big 'ol white rump!! "Newest welfare baby" hit it on the mark!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/03/13 - 05:29 pm
Rant #4

I'm sure ranter #4 does not read the on-line comments to the R&Rs, or else he would not have posted his incorrect statements. So let me address them again:

1. Zimmerman did not receive a police warning, hence there was nothing for him to ignore.

2. Zimmerman indeed was a member of his neighborhood watch program, had received the proper training, and was acting in accordance with his training.

3. Stalking is not a crime unless you are under court order not to stalk someone. Zimmerman was not under court order regarding Trayvon Martin, hence no crime was committed by his following Martin on the public areas of the subdivision.

4. Zimmerman's claim of self defense was backed up by physical evidence that was examined by trained police officers the night of the shooting. They correctly decided that Zimmerman's statement was consistent with the evidence they had.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/03/13 - 05:31 pm
Rant #7

Ranter #7, if you would let some of your neighbors know your issue with mobility, they will set up teams to volunteer to bring you your mail. Just reach out to your neighbors, and someone will help you. You could consider baking them some cookies for Christmas.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/03/13 - 06:54 pm
Sleepy

When I was looking at the list of stories on the News/Local heading, I thought it said

Schools chief urges prenatal engagement

But the actual word turned out to be parental.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/03/13 - 07:16 pm
The case is over.

It is time to move on ith your life.

2 old Wise sayings
"A person who lives a life chained to the past, will never be free to enjoy the future."

"No one ever got ahead, by always looking back."

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/03/13 - 07:21 pm
Given the Published rants

I have wonder why these were pick now, after many of these issues have finally started to settle into obscurity in the public's eyes?

Maybe it is the Media that can't or won't move on?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/03/13 - 07:24 pm
Zimmerman?

Still?

Really?

That teat's giving chalk dust, ya'll.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/03/13 - 07:35 pm
I Must Have Missed Something,

Who is this Zimmerman and Trayvon characters that everybody talks about daily???????

Are they the ones that caused an issue in Florida that should never been in the news or a trial that was forced held????

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/03/13 - 07:36 pm
Deen: "What she should have done"

...is to have been born a coastal or Hollyweird liberal. Then, nothing cannot be forgiven. As a southerner, no apology is needed; none will EVER be acceptable.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/03/13 - 07:41 pm
I can't find the words...

Maybe some of you can; because the ones I have to say about these policegoons would get me banned for sure.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/03/13 - 08:17 pm
There Are No Words...anotherday!

Unless there was a pistol in his hand, (which there was none), any further movement or action that was taken, was completely, totally WRONG. Period

It you got banned for any words that you said, would make the banner as bad as the 4 or 5 Chicago thugs....

What is your comment, myfather?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/03/13 - 08:37 pm
RE: 07:41pm- Just another day.

It's going to get worse. Right now in Augusta it's arrests and taserings for failure to roll down the window properly; there are enough thugs on the local PD's to re-create the 07:41 post. Then we'll be seeing stuff like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2384192/Police-officer-shoots-ki... Then swaggers away (not knowing it was videoed); it's Miller time!

Think you have rights? Don't drive through Texas (and coming to a highway in YOUR area): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2384030/Texas-State-Troopers-ill...

Doing something legal, but the cops don't like it? Check ou these two:

and my favourite because it seems to have woken up some people:

It not only can, it WILL happen here.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/03/13 - 09:02 pm
Well,

When it does happen here, Like the movie "Walking Tall" should be the action taken.

Darby
Darby 08/03/13 - 11:03 pm
"THE ZIMMERMAN CRIME on Trayvon needs

to be corrected by the incarceration of Zimmerman."

Well, you just keep on dreaming your race-baiting little dream.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for someone to name George Zimmerman MAN OF THE YEAR.

He deserves it!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/04/13 - 03:14 am
The Royal Baby

I wonder how long Kate's maternity leave is before she goes back to doing nothing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/04/13 - 07:33 am
Sexual Assault

Dstewart, that's a stunning video of the Texas incidents where the women were given finger probing genital searches after routine traffic stops. One woman on the video was REALLY probed for a long time. On TV the other night, I saw a similar search of a man by an officer and that struck me as being unusual although they had more reason than the traffic stops. So I assume this new police technique of searching body orifices has become routine everywhere. It's time someone put the brakes on this sexual assault.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/04/13 - 08:54 am
Our Ancestors Would Be Shocked

Can you imagine what our ancestors would think if they were alive today and came up against this new Big Brother state? Police stopping them for carrying their guns. Roadblocks to determine if they had drank any alcohol with armed officers questioning where they were going and so on. Drug dogs sniffing and scratching all over cars. Taxes on their income and EVERYTHING else. Cavity searches for almost anything. I have an idea when that finger probed them, they would "say" enough.

On one of the videos Dstewart posted is a Vermont man who openly and legally carried a pistol on his belt as he walked down the street. Police handcuffed him and put him in the cruiser. They told him there had been recent shootings on that street and that's why they stopped him. Again our forefathers would tell them THAT'S exactly why they were carrying their guns.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 07:59 am
I see a lawsuit paying off bigtime on this

women were given finger probing genital searches after routine traffic stops.

I would refuse the search...soo does that mean I would go directly to jail & not pass go...:)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/04/13 - 08:04 am
I have very sparingly comment on the Zimmerman Trial

But #4 could have been a juror with the lack of knowledge he/she is spouting. Just put Zimmerman in jail. Who needs evidence. He can't get away with this murder.
Please don't tell me some people are this uninformed.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/04/13 - 08:07 am
Hey Seenit.

I don't feel very opinionated this morning. There's nothing to really comment on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 08:09 am
Varsity is 85 years old....wow

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In case you missed it, the Varsity turned 85 earlier this week. Over the years a number of famous faces have been seen at the Atlanta establishment.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 08:10 am
I agree shrimp

Same ole same ole...I refuse to bite...need some new fish...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 08:19 am
How will "someone" spin this..:)

Downtown Augusta area ranks third-highest in violent crime reports

I wish I had pictures of Richmond Hill in the 70s & 80s...the homes were beautiful---well kept & expensive...soo what happened I wonder...how long does it take to turn a great neighborhood into a ghetto? This area was also mentioned as being crime ridden in that report.....maybe we need to study THAT!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/04/13 - 08:31 am
Good Morning "Just A Thought" America

"Remember, this is only a thought"

After researching and finding out who this Zimmerman-Trayvon thingee was all about, I had a thought,,,,

Is it all possible that Zimmerman has prevented another shooting of a baby in a stroller in the future? An un-honored hero.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/04/13 - 08:40 am
SeenIt, those women in the

SeenIt, those women in the video were trying to be polite, at least until the end. They were cooperative because they knew they had done nothing wrong. But I have to wonder if they had known how the finger thing would go if they wouldn't have just said, NO! Of course, then they would have been arrested for disobeying an officer At the end of the video when he was letting them go, she did give him a piece of her mind about how she felt about the finger stuck...

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/04/13 - 08:40 am
Hey, if the TSA can

... why can't the average cop? After all, there is no Constitutional protection against warrantless searches.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/13 - 08:41 am
About the cavity search

What I understand is that the gloves were not changed after each search....that could lead to some deadly disease as you know....so should the women get sick this could turn into a disaster for the police....which it is a disaster already imo.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/04/13 - 08:42 am
Big Brother

One of our more knowledgeable posters says if you have done nothing wrong you shouldn't mind being stopped, have your email read, or even probed I would guess.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/04/13 - 08:49 am
For those not paying attention

... it's happened here as well. I don't have a link but I recall an Augusta man who was openly carrying, in possession of a carry permit, disarmed and his pistol confiscated.

As for sexual assault, cops get a pass here as well. Todays paper has a deputy who while he was fired (we aren't that far gone here) but skipped jail, and with the cop mentality is saying he's been punished enough: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/crime-courts/2013-08-01/former-richmon...

Look too closely into the doings of the department and bad things can happen to reporters: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/crime-courts/2013-07-13/wrdw-reporter-...

It's here, too. And it will only get worse.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/04/13 - 08:58 am
There Comes A Time When You HAVE To Act

Some things supersede even law enforcement. I believe most people would be like the women if stopped and be polite. That’s how decent people are. Heck, I wouldn’t even be opposed to an officer planting something on a knucklehead acting out. That’s being a realist.

But certain things attack decency. Women being digitally probed because the officer said he smelled marijuana from the car is one of those. If a man has a loved one subjected to that he would be right to attempt to stop the sexual assault. Of course that would end him in jail, but I have a feeling juries would be understanding, especially in the later civil trial where mega damages would be awarded.

I went to jail when I was 15 years old at Folly Beach for curfew violation and again to the big Charleston County Jail at 17 for gambling. In neither case was I finger probed.