Rants & Raves

BIG RAVE FOR Columbia County Sheriff’s Office. Thank you for ticketing people parking in handicapped spots. If you are not handicapped, park in a regular spot because Columbia County will ticket you. Keep up the good work.

ON THE ONE HAND, we have Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel moaning how bad the furloughs are going to be, and on the other hand, we are spending a small fortune, taxpayers’ money of course, on luxury residences for the top brass. For example, Marine Gen. John F. Kelly will get a five-bedroom residence at a cost to the taxpayers of $160,000 per year plus $420,000 for renovations and security improvements. The administration is making sure that the civilian workforce is going to suffer the most because of the sequestration.

RANT TO THOSE who joined the rally for Trayvon Martin. Why did you not have a rally for the couple beat with baseball bats on Riverwalk Augusta? Maybe if the roles of those involved were reversed then maybe a rally? Rally for the public to come forth for those here in Richmond County shooting guns and fighting all caught on video turn these thugs in or it will just keep going on.

WHERE WERE THE protests when white people are killed by a black person? What about when a black person is killed by another black person? The press has gotten out of control. This has got to stop.

RAVE FOR THE SIX women jurors who had the courage to find George Zimmerman innocent.

OBAMA IS MAKING a fool out of himself by making national statements in reference to the Zimmerman trial. It was a fair trial and he was acquitted. End of subject.

WHAT IS WITH these Trayvon Martin protests? Zimmerman was found not guilty the same as O.J. Simpson. I do not recall any mass protest by white people after the Simpson verdict. The difference must be that Zimmerman was a “white” Hispanic involved in the shooting. But here is a news flash: Zimmerman is no more white than Obama, and 11,000 black males have been killed by their brethren since this incident happened. You will find these stories only in the local papers.

A RAVE FOR LOGAN at Adventure Crossing. He went above and beyond to help search for my nephew’s missing money. It warmed our hearts to see such care and concern.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/13 - 06:49 pm
Slow R&R Day

Not much to comment on. I'll start another topic:

I was saddened to hear of Quincy Murphy's death. Condolences to his family and close friends.

I was hoping that 2013 would bring an entire year without an election. Now it looks like we'll have a special election in the fall.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/02/13 - 09:00 pm
Dozers for R & R's tonight.

How about First Lieutenant Clint Lorance, found guilty of two counts of second-degree murder on Thursday? Lt. Lorance was tried for an incident involving the deaths of two of three Afghanis who approached a checkpoint and failed to stop when ordered. This happened in July 2012. The preordained verdict was delivered after a kangaroo court-martial in a nice, safe airconditioned courtroom a year later by rear echelon pukes thousands of miles away because of the testimony of troops whose choice was to be 'witness for the prosecution' or 'co-defendent'. The trial --if it can be called such-- was the CIC's keeping his promise to his "Muslim brethren" to go after US soldiers for war crimes. Self defense in a war zone gets the same response from the administration as in Florida, long as the defendent is white.

One year.

Meanwhile, self-professed jihadi Hasan sits fat and happy drawing major's pay almost four years later with no trial in sight. Anyone else sense a pardon to suck up to the "Muslim brethren" down the road?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/02/13 - 09:17 pm
To ACES

Enough already on Trayvon Martin and other black vs white rants. Everything that can be said, has been said.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/02/13 - 10:52 pm
About Clint Lorence

I am curious how long the Lieutenant had been in country. As one, as many of us on here commenting are, who has been THERE, I realize it takes a while to become accustomed to the norm. The motorcycles circling convoys, kids running up trying to steal tools off vehicles and other things take a while to get comfortable with.

The average person who has been trained in the military is taught these type things are the enemy making hostile moves. It's not easy figuring all this out and to give the Lt. 20 years is a travesty of military justice.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/02/13 - 09:30 pm
IAD, It's A Good Thing

Isanotherday1, yeah, we would all want, but the after effects are surfacing. That's actually a good thing. Some liberals are even starting to question Martin's actions that night.

I saw Chris Matthews today and he was asking when self defense is in play when someone is getting his head banged in the concrete. An amazing Socrates' like admission with questions. Why does it take THEM so long to see things? There was no racism.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/13 - 09:31 pm
Sad Day for Military Justice

Thank you, dstewartsr, for that information. I had not heard about the case and will be researching it. It sounds like a kangaroo court for sure, and you know the CIC was in the loop.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/02/13 - 09:47 pm
How'd First Friday Go?

I haven't heard of any trouble. This may have been a good one. Super.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/02/13 - 09:50 pm
Sure is a cockeyed government

we have lived under the last 4 years.

As we sit back and watch him dismantle every corner stone that has been laid in the last 237 years

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/02/13 - 11:59 pm
I was puzzled by the article

... complete with photo-- about the 1916 Augusta Fire. For what readers was that? Then it occurred to me: People stuck in the past; many of them post here about the condition of African Americans.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/03/13 - 07:00 am
Hate Crimes List

I was reading in the paper the other day the Justice Dept. now tracks hate crimes against Sikhs, Hindus, Arabs, Buddhists, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and Orthodox Christians. If the Jehovah’s Witnesses would stop knocking on doors, passing out the Watchtower, on Saturday mornings to people with hangovers, I bet we could get them off the list.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/03/13 - 07:07 am
Question For Y'all

I have a moral question that I posed under an article, but I figure the only place I'll get an honest answer is from my fellow R and R peeps. If an adult uses the back-to-school tax holiday to buy a computer or something and it has nothing to do with school is that being dishonest?

I'm going to raise my hand now and admit I did it. Maybe I only imagined it, but when I bought the computer last year and waited in line with all the kids and parents, I swear the clerk looked at me disapprovingly just before she asked what grade I was in.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/03/13 - 07:50 am
Fed up with the Handicapped

Fed up with the Handicapped Tag & Plaque abuse.

When I see a person get out of 1ft high jacked up Pickup,
walk into Tractor Supply buy feed, carry it out 2 40lbs bags, toss them in the raise bed. I seriously have to wonder.

When I see the staff member of a Dollar General stocking shelves, up and down on her knees, lifting and opening boxes then clock out and go outside get in her SUV parked in the HC zone, I have to wonder.

When I watch a young brat pull into a HC Space get out jog into Walmarts in her shorts and flip flops, I have to wonder.

When I see an older lady slowly working her way down the parking lot with a walking chair because people without visible issues had grabed the last HC space, I have to wonder.

When I see a Motorcycle parking in the HC ramp zone next to a HC VAN I have to wonder.

I wonder should, I call 9-1-1 and get asked the usual question. How do you know they are not Handicapped?

Or be told Sorry it is private property and we cannot enforce violations in a shopping center parking lot.

Why not just change the law to read?
MUST BE IN A WHEELCHAIR, OR REQUIRE ASSISTANCE
TO WALK IN ORDER TO USE THIS PARKING SPACE.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/13 - 08:33 am
Yes...many more are getting IT!

When it hits close to home..his son could have been killed.

Fulton County Commission Chairman John Henry Eaves posted a sobering note on Facebook tonight that I wanted to share.

I began my day with joy as I dropped off my son on his first day as a freshman at Morehouse College. I have ended my day bewildered as I just learned my son was robbed at gunpoint on the periphery of the Morehouse campus this evening by two thugs who stole his cell phone. Thank God my son, though shaken, is alive and suffered no physical harm.

Right now I am experiencing a wide range of emotions...I am relieved and thankful that my first born is still with me, but I am also angry, pi**ed, and concerned. I am not very optimistic about the future of our community, especially when you look at the status of African-American males. Too many African-American boys have access to guns, too many of them drop out of high school, too many of them are in prison, and too many of them place little value on the lives of others.

I hope we will begin to change the dialogue of what OTHERS are doing to us and our communities, but we must focus on what WE can do to change the pathological self-destructive behavior that is occurring within OUR own communities.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/13 - 08:34 am
THAT is a mouthfull.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/13 - 08:36 am
Sometimes I resent Cgee

He makes me feel old & lazy....how does HE do it!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/13 - 08:38 am
River

When you make a quarter million every year...you deserve a tax break...take it! :):)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/03/13 - 08:43 am
Back to School

Yeah, the sales tax holidays are billed as being "for the chi - i - i - ildren" but really it's just a gimmick to artificially increase sales over a weekend so lawmakers can watch news video of the crowds in the stores, pat themselves on their backs, smoke cigars, and pretend they did something.

I, too, bought a computer on a sales tax holiday back in 2002. I took it to the recycle place in 2012 and upgraded it with one purchased by mail order. Since it came from out of state, there was no sales tax applied. Mail order is the way to go.

Don't forget these back to school sales tax holidays also include clothing, whether its for a child or not, so stock up on those Guccis and Yves St. Laurens. I see on TV that Jos. A. Bank is having a suit sale over the sales tax holiday weekend.

corgimom
corgimom 08/03/13 - 08:54 am
CG, I have a handicapped

CG, I have a handicapped placard, and I'm white, and I'm not 200 lbs overweight.

And I don't have "visible issues", and I don't use a wheelchair, and I don't use a scooter. Yet. That may come in the future.

My husband doesn't have "visible issues" either. Yet.

Not all disabilities are visible. I think some of you have way too much time on your hands, to look and wonder what people's disabilities are.

Just be thankful that you aren't disabled and that you don't need a placard. Count your blessings, and move on.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/03/13 - 08:56 am
Handicap solution!!

Some states are putting the photo and name of the person the handicap permit is issued to on the permit. If that person is not in the vehicle and it gets parked in a handicap space then the driver gets a ticket. I've inquired of a Georgia legislator about making this happen in Georgia and all I get is the standard politicians response. We'll look into that.

corgimom
corgimom 08/03/13 - 08:56 am
Riverman, no, it's not

Riverman, no, it's not dishonest, the sales tax holiday is for everybody.

Personally, I call it Shopping Hell on Earth, and I stay out of the stores.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/03/13 - 09:09 am
ACES

Please, discontinue the Martin/Zimmerman comments. It's beginning to seem as if you wish to manufacture some news of this type in the AUG. To continue will only increase racial tension. Drop it and the tensions will drop! From the downward thumb, I'm guessing that Al Sharpton must be an AC follower!!!!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/03/13 - 09:02 am
corgimom

No one is questioning your need, we would just like to see people not using their parents and grandparents permits and preventing people such as yourself from using the spaces. I have a problem when a construction worker doing heavy work reports to work every morning and takes up a handicap space. I have a problem when I know the people using them and know they are abusing someone else's permit!! I have a problem with Doctors signing off for people to get permits just for the cost of an office visit. (Yes, I have been approached for this)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/13 - 09:06 am
Not all are visible

Just like Corgi says..not all handicaps are visible...we had a friend with heart trouble & he would get some nasty looks at times....he really needed the spot...I felt bad for him when some stared holes through him....I just don't question them anymore.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/03/13 - 09:06 am
Tax Free

As for shopping period, I'd rather give myself a root canal with a jack hammer than go shopping anytime and especially on a tax free weekend! Unless I have a need for something I don't go. By the way. IF anyone wants to see a live load test on spandex, just drop into any Walmart this weekend!!!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/03/13 - 09:07 am
Thankful

Even when my knees are in pain or my back is sore; when I walk past a handicapped parking spot, I thank the Lord I am not qualified to park there.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/13 - 09:12 am
A attention getter

You know what coldbeer...it is so hard for the news media to give up the zimm case...money making little gem that they have...they will beat this to death just like the P Deen mess.....something big will have to happen to knock this off the front page...maybe this weekend we will have another happening....they certainly have put folks on alarm.

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/03/13 - 09:14 am
Rave #1....YES!!!!! Now., if only

Aiken County Sheriffs and North Augusta (suppppeeerrr aggressive, anyway!) cops would enforce this, we'd be "in like Flynn."

The rest of you Zimmerman and Martin RACISTS keep on!!!! Your psychobabble is obnoxious, at the least!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/03/13 - 09:33 am
I disagree RM

on it being a "good" thing for the R & R because it is presented as a rant, not reasoned discussion. I've stated several times that the incident, while tragic, has launched much needed discussions on how we REALLY feel. But daily one sided rants in a town already racially divided doesn't do anything for better understanding and trust.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/03/13 - 09:43 am
Is the holiday in GA or SC? I

Is the holiday in GA or SC? I need a new suit for church. Don't care about the Zim trial anymore but I do care that the soldier was jailed for 20 years and that is not right. Bring our soldiers back home. Nothing over there is worth it.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/03/13 - 09:50 am
Spot on nocnoc

Even normally well meaning people will abuse the HC parking. I've seen a man who is legitimately handicapped, park in one to let his wife go shopping while he waited in the car. She is completely able-bodied and could walk the extra ~100 ft without issue.

You also have to wonder; when they park at Walmart in HC, then walk in without any outward difficulty and roam around 2 acres of store, just how handicapped are they?

Now, we will hear from the usual suspects about their issues that aren't apparent to the naked eye, etc., etc. All I can say is I agree with nocnoc; if you are not using assistance and can walk from the handicap spot to the front door, another couple of hundred feet won't hurt you.